Desperate Housewives Forums

ABC (ended 2012)

8.16 - "You Take for Granted" Episode Discussion

Tell Dr. Goldfine how you feel after watching this episode.

stellarchick86

[81]Mar 12, 2012
    • level: 32
    evafan2005 wrote:

well and they should stay in their house, tearing them away from the only home they've ever known wouldn't be to swell either. But I agree with them downsizing, maybe compromise and meet in the middle. Stuff that still looks fancy/chic but costs less? But we know that will never happen. Carlos and Gabby will hold out on each other until somebody caves in.

Agreed. And yeah, it will be sad for the kids but it happens. Ive moved a few times in my life as a child. Im just saying its not a NECESSITY to have a big house like that.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

marknmo

[82]Mar 12, 2012
    • level: 12
    Reading all of this, I'm kinda wondering/worried about where Marc Cherry is taking this show to meet its end. Could he possibly be trying to make all of main housewives individuals again and have them realize that the most important thing they have in their lives is each other? Even above their husbands? Bree is already isolated with the only hope in her life being her friends. Lynette is being utterly abandoned by her husband of 20 years and is having to watch him move on when she's not ready to. Susan has just lost Mike. Is Gabby about to lose Carlos, too? Will he decide pursuing his new life goal of helping others is more important than providing Gabby with her riches and leave her for it?

If this is where the show's heading, I'm not going to enjoy the note we're left with in the end. I would have liked to have seen a couple of the housewives happy in the end with their family, but Bree and Susan are already lost causes in that. Unless if there's some really rushed and sloppy writing in these last few episodes, I'd say Lynette is a lost cause, too. And now, we're starting to see signs that Gabby is having a road open up in front of her that will lead to her losing Carlos as well. I'm not sure why Marc would do that to the series, but it sounds like a bitter-sweet ending that I'm not looking forward to.

mully

[83]Mar 12, 2012
    • level: 6

I found this radio interview with James Denton regarding the death. He seems pretty thrilled to be done and even calls Mike "boring Delfino" in it. I wonder if all the cast feels that way about the show and are just itching to move on?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXBVIoHsGxk&feature=related

Edited on 03/12/2012 10:38pm

mully

[84]Mar 12, 2012
    • level: 6
    As far as how it's shaping up for the end, I'm liking this direction. Yes, it's sad and there's probably not going to be a lot of happy endings going around, but when the show started, the girls weren't happy either. They were desperate housewives; that's why the show is called that. It would feel kind of generic to me if they all lived happily ever after, since I've been watching for 8 years to see how their various miseries and desperations are playing out. The producers also said that they didn't want to wrap things up in a neat little bow, that they wanted it to seem like life would go on on Wisteria Lane, and I commend them for that.

Edie70

[85]Mar 12, 2012
    • level: 19
    Yeah, it sound like he had no problem with it. Good for him. At least he has a chance to find some new work. LOL at rich girls

stellarchick86

[86]Mar 13, 2012
    marknmo wrote:
    Reading all of this, I'm kinda wondering/worried about where Marc Cherry is taking this show to meet its end. Could he possibly be trying to make all of main housewives individuals again and have them realize that the most important thing they have in their lives is each other? Even above their husbands? Bree is already isolated with the only hope in her life being her friends. Lynette is being utterly abandoned by her husband of 20 years and is having to watch him move on when she's not ready to. Susan has just lost Mike. Is Gabby about to lose Carlos, too? Will he decide pursuing his new life goal of helping others is more important than providing Gabby with her riches and leave her for it?

I was wondering the same exact thing, though I have to say, Gabby prob. can not afford that house by herself, so if she leaves Carlos in order for her and the girls to stay on Wisteria Lane, shes going to have to..what? Go back to modeling? She would probably be seen as too old for that. So unless she gets some serious alimoney/child support from Carlos for the divorce, I dont see it. Its going to suck though to see all of them lose their husbands whether it be by death or divorce though. Its not like they are all Karens age, they are all only in their 40s.

Genzie

[87]Mar 13, 2012
    • level: 12
    That sort of ending....realising all they have is eachother ( and their kids! ) actually feels pretty cool. The show started about them aswell and their friendship. They drifted apart this season and I'd love to see them getting closer again. It will be sad to have every housewife without a man or something, but I think the message DH always tried to tell was that friendships keep you alive at times. Sex and the City had a finale like that aswell.

BUT I am curious how it will end. This show has been so important to television and will always be remembered. I want some kind of closure..happy endings at some level..but at the same time have the feeling like life goes on.

mobbs456

[88]Mar 13, 2012
    • level: 16

So......

does this mean Dana Delany and Mark Moses will appear at the funeral or in the episode flashbacks?

RenatoB

[89]Mar 13, 2012
    • level: 43
    mobbs456 wrote:

So......

does this mean Dana Delany and Mark Moses will appear at the funeral or in the episode flashbacks?

What? Who said they will appear in the episode? They're not in the cast list.

RenatoB

[90]Mar 13, 2012
    BTW, I forgot to mention, but, am I the only one who totally believed Bree when she told Karen she'd euthanize her? :O I was like "NO WAY!" She fooled me.

Hamzie

[91]Mar 13, 2012
    • level: 9
    ughhhhh i hate how easily my life is affected by tv shows ((((((((((((((

Today has been a sad sad day.
    i just keep thinking how unfair this is on Teri hatcher's character

stellarchick86

[92]Mar 13, 2012
    Genzie wrote:
    ] I think the message DH always tried to tell was that friendships keep you alive at times. Sex and the City had a finale like that aswell.

True but they were all married or in a very serious relationship at the end.
    Edited on 03/13/2012 7:39am

MohammedHasan2

[93]Mar 13, 2012
    • level: 4
    DH was adjusted up to a 2.6 and 8.39 million viewers. Its improving, its matching its series low from Jan 22 in the demographic. But still disappointed, since this was a big episode and it got lots of promotion. Hopefully the promo's make it rise next week, cause some viewers probably thought they'd kill of an unimportant character like Juanita. OUAT was also adjusted up a tenth to 2.9, and no downward adjustments for GCB.

RenatoB

[94]Mar 13, 2012
    Unimportant? Juanita is one of the main characters, and had she died it would probably have even more of an impact on the characters than Mike, cos she's a kid.

MohammedHasan2

[95]Mar 13, 2012
    • level: 4
    Yeah, but fans don't really care for her. If she was killed, it would just be another person who died on the show, but because Mike has been there from the beginning, fans care more. Also, Mike's death is pretty huge, cause now MJ has no dad.

RenatoB

[96]Mar 13, 2012
    What? Fans don't really care for her? What are your sources?

I FRICKING LOVE JUANITA!!!!! She is one of the best things to come out of the post-time jump era. And there ain't that many things... XP She has always been a fan favorite, I would assume. Besides, following that logic, Gabrielle and Carlos would have no daughter. It's about the same. Perhaps worst, I would assume parents losing children hurts much more than children losing parents. It just seems that way most of the time, doesn't it?

Of course, Mike's more important to the show, and the fact that he's a core character makes his death all the more shocking. I get what you mean. But a better example to use would've been Jane than Juanita. Juanita is indeed very important, one of the principal supporting stars.

evafan2005

[97]Mar 13, 2012
    • level: 18

She might be a fan favorite but I don't like her, my mom doesn't like her, my brother doesn't like her, none of the people I know that watch the show like her. In fact my friend's fiance was rather bummed out that "fatty didn't die" (his words, not mine).

It's not the actress I don't like, it's the character. Something about her just bugs me.

RenatoB

[98]Mar 13, 2012
    evafan2005 wrote:

She might be a fan favorite but I don't like her, my mom doesn't like her, my brother doesn't like her, none of the people I know that watch the show like her. In fact my friend's fiance was rather bummed out that "fatty didn't die" (his words, not mine).

It's not the actress I don't like, it's the character. Something about her just bugs me.

:O I have to say I'm shocked.

StylishCandy

[99]Mar 13, 2012
    • level: 5

i love juanita (and i'veseen some people who love her, some people who hate her), and a kid dying would be sad, but it's no where near as a big as mike dying.

juanita's a main, really? was julie, andrew, danielle, etc ever a main?

Zazawie

[100]Mar 13, 2012
    • level: 19
    P.S. somebody said the opening only featured one main character, being Mike. Seems like that person forgot Bree was in there. She never was in real danger like all the other characters, but she was a possibility nevertheless.

And I don't consider Juanita a main character either, but definitely above McCluskey and Jane. Her death would've had way more impact on the show than those two.