Desperate Housewives Forums

ABC (ended 2012)

8.16 - "You Take for Granted" Episode Discussion

Tell Dr. Goldfine how you feel after watching this episode.

RenatoB

[101]Mar 13, 2012
    • level: 43
    Well, I'm a wiki dork, so I consider Juanita to be main. Then again, we consider Ana to be main.

McCluskey ranks above Juanita on the main character list, but, yeah, Juanita's death would've been more impactful.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

mully

[102]Mar 13, 2012
    • level: 6
    evafan2005 wrote:

She might be a fan favorite but I don't like her, my mom doesn't like her, my brother doesn't like her, none of the people I know that watch the show like her. In fact my friend's fiance was rather bummed out that "fatty didn't die" (his words, not mine).

It's not the actress I don't like, it's the character. Something about her just bugs me.

Gah, I hate it when people pick on Juanita just because of her weight and I honestly don't care for how the writers always make her and Celia the human garbage disposals either.

evafan2005

[103]Mar 13, 2012
    • level: 18

Yeah I think that's part of the reason why I dislike her so much....the constant food references and things of the like are just so irritating and quite frankly, rude and cliched. I do agree people should stop picking on her for that though, because she IS a good actress and a cute little girl.

RenatoB

[104]Mar 13, 2012
    Well, she is really cute, and very talented, she has pitch-perfect comedic timing. But I kinda like all the fat jokes, they're funny. I doubt Madison has that much of a problem with it, otherwise I'm sure they would've long stopped.

stellarchick86

[105]Mar 13, 2012
    • level: 32
    Im not a big Juanita fan and dont consider her to be a main character personally but very very rarely do tv shows kill off a kid. They will get so much hatemail.

Edie70

[106]Mar 15, 2012
    • level: 19

Final ratings for 8.16 are 8.39 million viewers and 2.6 in demo.

EricWelsch

[107]Mar 15, 2012
    • level: 4

Yeah, I have to admit, Juanita is a waste of screen time in my opinion. Her scenes are good for bathroom breaks. I would never in a million years consider her a main. She's simply scene material for Gabby. But at least they show her regularly (much to my dismay), unlike the other daughter that I think the whole show forgets exists until she pops up every 7 or 8 episodes. Every time she pops up I nudge my girlfriend and say "Oh look honey, they remembered her again. How lovely." Yes, the "how lovely" was sarcasm.

RenatoB

[108]Mar 15, 2012
    Celia's in half the episodes... Why does everyone say she's never on? Or MJ, for that matter? Sure, they don't get much to do, but then again, who cares? I don't care to see them getting stuff to do.

I have to say I'm nothing if not genuinely shocked, I always assumed Juanita was one of the fans' favorite characters. My sources were way off, I suppose.

EricWelsch

[109]Mar 15, 2012
    • level: 4

Sorry but Celia is rarely shown. And MJ has made very few appearances this season. There are times when i totally forget about him lately and he's the best little kid on the show!

RenatoB

[110]Mar 15, 2012
    Then you'll be happy to know MJ will be featured much more from now on, he's in at least 3 out of the next 4 episodes (not that big a spoiler, so I think that's okay to say here ). As for Celia, she is indeed in approximately half the episodes of every season, including this one, but she's like a young Ida Greenberg, always there, but always mute. Juanita's a star, Celia's not. And I have grown accostumed to her being silent or occasionally letting out a dumb remark. MJ's a semi-regular, so he should indeed be shown more often, but, well, actors cost money, and if he's not needed, there's no point in him appearing.

Edie70

[111]Mar 15, 2012
    Celia looks like Danny DeVito she is my favorite kid on the show!

RenatoB

[112]Mar 15, 2012
    Of course, the show only actually has 5 main characters, the central housewives, everyone else is supporting. But I like to think of all the stars as portraying main characters, why not?

Edie70 wrote:
    Celia looks like Danny DeVito she is my favorite kid on the show!

LOL really?

Edie70

[113]Mar 15, 2012
    Or he looks like her, who knows

mobbs456

[114]Mar 15, 2012
    • level: 16

It seems we have slightly veered off topic so let me sail it back to port

Now would be the best time for Dana Delany to return. She could either show up at the funeral and pay her respects or appear and comfort susan towards the end.

And Paul Young should come back. He and Mike were connected via Zach. Speaking of which - where the heck is he?

RenatoB

[115]Mar 15, 2012
    I agree that 8.17 seems like the perfect episode to showcase them both, but the writers clearly didn't feel the same way. I hope they both appear towards the end. 8.02 will not suffise as Paul's final appearance for me.

OrsonWright

[116]Mar 19, 2012

I can't believe they didn't have MJ in this episode, but they probably didn't want to make it more heartbreaking.

I hate that shows feel the need to have a shocking death before the end. Why can't the show end in a good place? I like Terri Hatcher's idea of Mike showing up alive in the finale... this show is crazy and unrealistic, so it would be fitting. After all the danger that Mike has gone through season after season, he gets killed by some lame loan shark from a lame storyline initiated by Ben, a character no one cares about?

I wasn't that moved by the episode, so it wasn't even that well done.

I hope they actually use this death to propel the other stories, and to give the characters some nice moments, at the very least.

NiallB31

[117]Apr 17, 2012
    • level: 8

"If I touch that womans feet, you're going to have to Euthanise me."

Season 8, I think, has been the strongest season of the post time jump seasons. Ever since the Halloween episode I have been looking forward to the next episode more than I ever have.

Bree/Kearn/Roy: I really enjoyed their story this week. Its nice to see Kearn with an ongoing storyline and I think Bree is doing the right thing in trying to help Kearn. Loved the Suicide-Pie. I kind of thought there was something wrong with the pie when I first saw it and Bree eating it was brilliant and her reaction to it. Brilliant. And Kearn and Roy finally accepting the entire situation with a kiss. I really hope this storyline doesn't get stupid meaning unbelievable in the coming episodes.

Gabby/Carlos: I liked the story but was a bit filler. The only highlight for me was Juanita on the roof. I knew she was going to be ok but it was good. I don't know how I feel about Carlos quitting his job. I will need to see where this goes to see if its a good thing of=r bad thing.

Lynette/Tom: 23 Years. Seriously. As I recall they were married 9 years in season 3 + 5 season and the time jump would make them about 20 years married!!! Correct me if Im wrong. I liked this storyline. I actually like Jane. I kind of compair her to Edie. Edie and Susan faught, Jane and Lynette are fighting. When Tom suggested to finalise the Divorce, I actually teared up. I love these two and a divorce kind of closes all hope for a reconcilliation.

Renee: I know some say Renee is a waste of a character but I love her. She adds a bit of comedy to a scene.

Susan/Mike: That scene on the porch was touching. I knew Mike was going to die and through the whole speech he made I was tearing up (something I dont do). I thought the shooting was shot perfectly (the camera shots not the gun shot), the slow motion and then into the montage. The montage was perfect, loved seeing those scenes again. And when they sped up twords the end I knew it was coming and then Bang. Teri was amazing. Some said a while back they felt it was more her screaming insteqad of crying but I loved every moment of it.

Season 8 has been on a roll and I can not wait for next weeks episode.