Desperate Housewives Forums

ABC (ended 2012)

8.17 - "Women and Death" Episode Discussion

How would you rate this episode

Mgmble

[1]Mar 18, 2012
    • level: 7

This Sunday, March 18th, 2012, ABC will air the 17th episode of the 8th and final season (174th overall) of Desperate Housewives. This episode was written by Annie Weisman and directed by David Grossman.

Overview:

On the day of the funeral of a beloved Wisteria Lane resident, each of the ladies thinks back on how this person had affected their lives. Meanwhile, believing that the investigation died with Chuck Vance, Breeis stunned when she is called in for questioning about the murder of Gabrielle's stepfather, Alejandro.

Guest stars:

Steven Culp as Rex Van de Kamp Lupe Ontiveros as Juanita "Mama" Solis Andrea Parker as Jane Rebecca Wisocky as Bree's Mother Mackenzie Brooke Smith as Young Bree Michael Dempsey as Detective Murphy Ned Schmidtke as Reverend Lawson Jose Zuniga as Detective Heredia Kevin Ashworth as Funeral Director Brandon Ford Green as Uniformed Cop

Supporting Regulars: Kathryn Joosten as Karen McCluskey Andrea Bowen as Julie Mayer Tuc Watkins as Bob Hunter

Promo Videos:

Official

Edited on 03/18/2012 3:27pm
    Edited 3 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Edie70

[2]Mar 18, 2012
    • level: 19
    Really looking forward to this one. Although I will watch on Thursday evening because I am going to take this little trip to Nice.

DH-Weirdo

[3]Mar 18, 2012

Oh thats Nice!

Edited on 03/18/2012 12:44pm

DH-Weirdo

[4]Mar 18, 2012
    See what I did there? Have fun anyways!

joeyazzi

[5]Mar 18, 2012
    • level: 6

The amount of tears that I shed in this episode is so big!! I never cried like this on Desperate Housewives... ever! Teri Hatcher did an amazing job... and the same applies to the other women.

StylishCandy

[6]Mar 18, 2012
    • level: 5

ahh, this episode was so sad

susan - poor, poor susan. her flashbacks were so sad, but i liked how mike's portrayal of heaven was and what susan thinks he is doing now.and that poem was so cute it was nice to see mj and mike together.

bree - it was nice to see rex, but why is he always portrayed as an asshole? can't he for like one time be nice?oh, and thanksorson forpretty much guranteeing that bree will be sent away to prison. i used to think you were the better one of bree's husbands, but.... xP and wait, i'm confused. i thought a running joke was that bree's natural hair color wasn't red, but in the flashback it was. it would've been funny if she had like, blonde or black hair naturally.

lynette - first off, jane really pissed me off this episode. coming to the funeral seemed so inappropriate to me. and wow, lynette still was controlling, even in the flashbacks. but tom's hair was hilarious

gabby - i loved seeing mama solis! although it's weird that carlos chose gabby over his mom, because i remember in season 1 there were flashbacks to how mama picked the house color gabby hated, the music for the wedding gabby hated, and...there was something else, but i forget it.

i kinda wanted to see susan scream at ben, since it was kind of his fault that the loan shark killed mike, but i guess we'll never see that. :/

ArthurRoby

[7]Mar 18, 2012
    • level: 2

I'm now interested in the next episode and why Andrew is marrying a female.

evafan2005

[8]Mar 18, 2012
    • level: 18

All in all I liked the episode, but I do have a couple of nitpicks...

First...wow, Lynette was a control freak in her flashbacks? They've really gone overboard into trying to make her a shrew and Tom the gee-whiz husband this year. I'm re-watching Season 1 right now and it was NEVER like this.

Second...when Tom and Lynette moved to the Lane, she didn't have a belly yet (Season 2 finale, when the girls first meet her) yet when Tom surprises her with the house, now she does? Again, that's just a nitpick.

Finally, for the love of all that is holy why is Rex so damned MEAN in every flashback they have? I mean seriously, he's just flat out verbally abusive! Once again, re-watching Season 1 and he was NOT that bad. They had their issues, sure, but in every single post time jump flashback he's been an absolute jerk. (the season 2 finale flashbacks he was the Rex I remembered)

Overall, good episode that I will expand on tomorrow, and I like how the flashbacks would have little nods to the future/present (like the tree house reference)

RenatoB

[9]Mar 18, 2012
    • level: 43
    Am I the only one who thinks this episode was a misfire? It went against all my expectations. I am genuinely disappointed.

mully

[10]Mar 18, 2012
    ^^ Even with Mama Solis and Rex in it?? Uh oh... I hope I'm not disappointed tomorrow when it comes to Hulu...

rentlover1

[11]Mar 18, 2012
    • level: 8

Half way through watching the episode and noticed a HUGE error in the flashbacks for Lynette. Tom and Lynette are on the porch when Tom has just bought the dream house when Tom makes reference to them having a tree house for their yet to be born twins. In the Season 2 finale flashback when Lynette's furniture is being moved into the house Lynette chucks the shits over the fact she just realized she and Tom are having twins!!!!!!!!! She is enraged and cannot believe Tom failed to tell her twins run in his family. On top of that in that flashback she is barely showing. Way to fail writers!

I will report on my full opinion of this episode soon- so far so good.

Endoplasmic888

[12]Mar 18, 2012
    It was kind of a boring episode, but wasn't as bad as some of the other of these episodes like "If" "Lovely" and "Look Into Their Eyes and See What They Know"

rentlover1

[13]Mar 18, 2012
    • level: 8

To me this was probably one of the best episodes ever.

Idon'tunderstand people who think it was a misfire or boring. It was crucial to the plot of the season as it progressed the story forward in away these flashback episodes never do. It informed us about the characters past and gave us a chance to see characters we haven't seen in a long time (especially Mama Solis) and it left us with a lot of ground covered as to where the characters will be moving to the end of the season in away that wasn't forced. The fact we still got progression of the mystery in this episode was probably the biggest highlight to me. Obviously Bree will go down for this murder and want to protect Carlos but I agree the season will most likely end with Mike getting the blame as a scape goat to save them all.

My only issue with this episode was the flashback errors in Lynette's storyline. She was not hugely pregnant in the Season 2 flashback and she didn't know she was having twins so that was a huge f**k up on the part of the writers. However I still enjoyed the scene with Tom which had the nice touch of him wearing his Season 2 finale outfit.

Speaking of which I like that the final Lynette flashbacks took place in a scene we saw the beginning of during Mary Alice's sum up of episode 1 or 2 of this season where Mike helps Tom move out. That was a really clever idea on the part of the writers as it shows that their lives do move on once the episode ends- you know? It was just all round a very clever concept.

I will admit I was distracted during the first Susan flashback as all I could think was: wow while Susan's all happy coming home from her wedding to Mike Edie is in her house planning her suicide. Funny that that moment was so iconic that it was all I could think about during Mike and Susan's intimate post wedding scene with the poem. lol.

This episode also had many great on liners and allusions to past episodes that made me laugh. I just overall had so much fun and went on quite theroller-coasterof emotions which was a great feeling when the episode drew to a close. Bree wastrulyherself in the scene with the detective which was something I have sorely missed.

Overall fantastic episode 10/10 - god how I will miss Wisteria Lane

Edited on 03/18/2012 10:03pm
    Edited 2 total times.

marto_dd

[14]Mar 19, 2012
    • level: 17

RenatoB wrote:
    Am I the only one who thinks this episode was a misfire? It went against all my expectations. I am genuinely disappointed.

I agree.

It felt like a bad repeat of episode 100... The show had a number of tribute episodes after it - the one with Edie, the one with Robin, but each of them felt fresh for some reason I still can'texplain...

This one just didn't do it for me. Lynette's flashbacks were all messed up - Tom wasn't with that hair when they met, she wasn't that pregnant when they bought the house...

Bree's was nice, but still it felt kinda out of place. In the episode about Mike we see Bree and her mom... The whole scene wasawkwardlycheesy. The scene with Rex was a bit better, but still, this episode wasn't the time for it. Maybe if we had seen Mike comfort Bree on the porch or something...

Gabby's was meh, Susan's was the best, but it wasn't that amazing, it just didn't have a good competition.

The whole thing felt like a fan-fiction, from start to finish.

Mattsterzz

[15]Mar 19, 2012

Tbh, It was good, but not great. I did see plot developments, which was good. Boy, hasnt Mama and Rex aged! Wow! My favourite flashback would have been the one between young bree and her mother. I thought it was fantastic, I also like Susan's. I loved thats she later mentioned them. It sorta pissed me off what Mike said to Lynette, I cant believe he had the guts to say that to Lynette, I'm not surprised that she told him to MYOB. I loved the start, but not really the end with the ladies at Bree's. I expected it to be really sad. I honestly liked 5x19 more. I would have much preferred to have a proper episode. I would have also preferred to see Susan show more emotion, the same problem I had with her when she was on dialysis. I did like the proper funeral scenes though. Overall, 7.5. P.S, the whole young bree thing got me thinking. I would love a 1950's Desperate housewives spin-off, with them two in it! Anyway, I dont have high hope for next week. Though I was mainly negative, it was good.

MarkoTodorovi

[16]Mar 19, 2012
    • level: 4
    fantastic episode. Susan and Bree are my favorite in this episode.

Hamzie

[17]Mar 19, 2012
    • level: 9
    held myself pretty well!
    ..............until the scene where they were playing cards

RenatoB

[18]Mar 19, 2012
    • level: 43
    Hamzie wrote:
    held myself pretty well!
    ..............until the scene where they were playing cards

Who played cards? You mean when they ate the cheeseburgers?

joeyazzi

[19]Mar 19, 2012

I'm so sad that there are only 5 episodes left!! I don't know what will I do after it's over! It's the end of an era!

DH-Weirdo

[20]Mar 19, 2012
    I THOUGHT THIS EPISODE WAS BEAUTIFUL IN SO MANY WAYS!