Desperate Housewives Forums

ABC (ended 2012)

8.17 - "Women and Death" Episode Discussion

How would you rate this episode

Marmalade11

[41]Mar 19, 2012
    • level: 10
    I really liked this episode. This season has improved a lot for me in my opinion. My favorite flashbacks were Gaby's. I didn't really care for Lynette's, and Susan's were cute. Bree's were really interesting; I liked seeing how what her mother told her had such a big effect on how she grew up.

Is it just me or was it kind of weird that Bree allowed fast food to be on her living room table?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

StylishCandy

[42]Mar 19, 2012
    • level: 5

i actually don't mind mason vale cotton's acting he's so young, so yeah he'll probably improve when he's older.

do the police of fairview really think that bree killed this guy (with no motive), moved it, and buried it in concrete and on someone else's property, by herself? i mean - seriously. also, i don't think that coffee cup was fair evidence. even if they don't need, say, consent to take someone's fingerprints for evidence, don't they need to at least be aware of it? and fingerprints found on...was it the body that's been buried for six months? i think it was the garbage bag - i don't believe you could get a clear print from that.

i wonder if they're also gonna put chuck's murder on bree too. at least that one there would be a motive! but seriously, this part just pisses me off. this is just some screwed up police work. why don'tthe police think that maybe thewho gave the anonymous tip is possibly the murderer?

is bree really gonna take the fall for this? her friends abandoned her for the longest time for helping them, and now she's gonna go to prison for helping carlos.

Mattsterzz

[43]Mar 19, 2012
    • level: 7
    I can sorta see why they dont use MJ much over the last two seasons, compared to Juanita and Penny ( who are brilliant). I really do hope that Bree doesnt go to prison, but we all know that she would take the blame to protect her friends. Man, I really hating Orson at the moment. I guess his threat to send Bree to prison (Season 5 finale), did come true.

eimajamie

[44]Mar 19, 2012
    • level: 9

Overall I thought it was a very powerful episode, the first DH ep to actually make me cry in a long time.

- I was expecting more emotion from Susan to be honest, though I did take into account that Teri favours comedic acting. Her speech at the funeral was very moving though.

Brees first flashback was my favourite, and I liked seeing the old Bree again whilst she was being interviewed. Her second flashback wasnt really necessary as weve seen Bree use her "mask" many times before in past episodes, I would of preferred something involving Mike.

I felt for Lynette and was glad Tom comforted her at the beginning of the episode, I didnt like the fact Jane even came to the funeral, fair enough she mightve gone to support Tom but she didnt really have much of a place there.

The Gabby and Carlos storyline is boring me the most at the minute, just when I think Gabbys character is growing and developing, she does something to ruin it. Carlos hasnt really done much this season to make me interested in his character.

I Know a lot of fans were angered to see Mike killed off as he was such a loved character, but I think it was a good decision to make so close to the end of the show, it really added that shock and emotion thats rarely done in such a way on DH, by that I mean killing off a major character. Its not like hes gonna miss out on that many eps)

shenbrat

[45]Mar 19, 2012
    • level: 8

eimajamie wrote:

I felt for Lynette and was glad Tom comforted her at the beginning of the episode, I didnt like the fact Jane even came to the funeral, fair enough she mightve gone to support Tom but she didnt really have much of a place there.

I agree. The support Tom needed should have come from his wife of 20 years when it comes to losing a common friend they shared for more than a decade. His current lover got in the way and prevented Tom from getting all the support I'd imagine he'd want to offer Lynette as well. Mike was a part of Tom and Lynette's lives not Tom and Jane's.

Edited on 03/19/2012 8:22pm
    Edited 2 total times.

RenatoB

[46]Mar 20, 2012
    • level: 43
    This episode has grown on me upon further viewing. I am no longer angry, and it has in fact become my second favorite episode of the season (following 8.16). To be fair, the lack of Mary Alice always upsets me and prevents me from enjoying some episodes. "Come on Over for Dinner" is my favorite episode of season 7, but back then I hated it the first time around, cos I expected to see Mary Alice in that finale but didn't get that. Same with this episode.

The continuity issues are indeed rather appalling. When that second Lynette flashback started and I saw Tom with his cap on, I was like "Oh, great, they re-watched season 2's flashbacks for continuity. That's super". Then Lynette's tummy was much bigger. "Okay. That's alright, little mistake." Then she was talking about the twins. Oh, shoot. Really, writers? The second finale is so memorable in that it showed us the women moving the lane, and you couldn't remember to check it out? Seriously? Nice commitment. Also, in 1.20 Mary Alice said that Tom had told Annabel Foster he wasn't the marrying kind, so I always assumed Lynette had made him change his mind, but then in this episode he's the one that changed her mind... a bit confusing, but not exactly a continuity error. Maybe he just didn't see it with Annabel, but he saw it with her. So that's actually sweet. And honestly, I care about them again, I think. I want them together. I'll be cool if they wind up apart, but I'm rooting again. I'm still pissed at the fact that they broke off my favorite couple and act like the possibility of the Scavos getting back together might be the consolation prize. But whatevs.

Also, can someone please give HIGH PRAISE to that first Gaby flashback? That was so awesome! First of all, I don't think Eva's looked more beautiful on the show before, and that's hard. The fact that they made her, this late in the game, more beautiful than she's ever been... it's a hard feat!! Seriously, I just googled her wedding pics (with Tony Parker) and I can say with certainty she looked more beautiful in that bride's dress in this episode. She was a goddess! Also, and even though Juanita was barely recognizable (the actress has aged 7 years, it's comprehensible), it was great to HEAR her nevertheless. And that "Hit her, Carlos, hit her!" remark? That's what's priceless. XP

And if people don't start praising Teri, I'ma bust a nut!! I expected her to be given more. I wanted to see her shriek. The writers thought otherwise, I suppose. But what she got to work with... she didn't overdo it, and she didn't undersell it. She was perfect. The reviewer for DigitalSpy said "the absolute anguish on Teri Hatcher's face throughout this episode is astonishingly believable. It barely feels like she's breathing. " I agree.

RenatoB

[47]Mar 20, 2012
    I am indeed still upset over the lack of interaction between Mike and Mary Alice. What a waste...

Zazawie

[48]Mar 20, 2012
    • level: 19
    ^^Well, they never knew each other, did they? So the only thing they could've done is to show them in this 'heavenlike' place, and I don't think that would've improved things.

Also, there was no mention of Zach either and I think it's for the best. The character went nowhere and they never seemed to have a connection anyway. And with Alejandro's case already involved, I don't think it was necessary to drag Mary Alice in it again.

I think the only chance we'll get of seeing Mary Alice is just the finale.

RenatoB

[49]Mar 20, 2012
    But that's the thing, it was the perfect opportunity to show them together, Mike and Mary Alice. They could've had a brief encounter on the lane before she killed herself. The writers could have done it for the irony, that nice, warm lady Mike had just met and who was so nice was the one who killed the woman he'd been looking for. And yes, some after-life would be nice, for me, anyway. I'd love it if we got a glimpse of... I don't know, what's going on up there. Maybe it would ruin the mystique of not knowing where Mary Alice is, where she is talking from, but maybe it wouldn't?... I dunno... I just wish we'd seen her. Really seems like a big waste.

Hamzie

[50]Mar 20, 2012
    • level: 9
    RenatoB wrote:
    Hamzie wrote:
    held myself pretty well!
    ..............until the scene where they were playing cards

Who played cards? You mean when they ate the cheeseburgers?

oops haha yep see, i was in tears i couldnt even see what was happening :p

Zazawie

[51]Mar 20, 2012

Final ratings: 2.6 demo and 9.03 million viewers.

mrgravey

[52]Mar 20, 2012
    • level: 2
    We may not have seen Mary Alice in this episode, but the continuous narrations throughout the episode were a nice touch. We've not had a mid-episode narration for a while now.

MohammedHasan2

[53]Mar 20, 2012
    • level: 4
    I would have preferred Mike narrating the episode, or atleast at the end.

RenatoB

[54]Mar 20, 2012
    MohammedHasan2 wrote:
    I would have preferred Mike narrating the episode, or atleast at the end.

I would've liked that, had Mary Alice appeared. Since she was clearly not meant to appear, it's best that she narrated, I'd hate for her to have another absence.

Mattsterzz

[55]Mar 20, 2012
    I dont see why Mary-Alice had to be in the episode, because mike just moved to Wisteria lane when Mary-alice shot herself. Im glad though that Mary Alice narrated through the episode, which was a nice touch.

Mgmble

[56]Mar 20, 2012

Mattsterzz wrote:
    I dont see why Mary-Alice had to be in the episode, because mike just moved to Wisteria lane when Mary-alice shot herself. Im glad though that Mary Alice narrated through the episode, which was a nice touch.

I have to agree with you on that Mary Alice comment, I forgot that he moved to fairview after she committed suicide, I'm also glad that Mike never narrated the episode, I don't think it would seem right.

Edited on 03/20/2012 3:23pm

rentlover1

[57]Mar 20, 2012
    • level: 8

I always assumed Mike had to have met Mary Alice to justify being at her wake. He was obviously there just to sus out the neighbours BUT to gain access he would have had to have met Paul or Mary Alice prior to the funeral. Either way I thought this episode was perfect so Im happy with how it stands but I did expect a Mary Alice appearance- mainly cause of the style of the episode. Then again we missed out on a Mary Alice/ Edie Britt flashback in Edie's final show as well so I guess its all based on necessity as opposed to using any old excuse to see her.

Edie70

[58]Mar 20, 2012

My take on the episode since I have just seen it about an hour ago 8.17 "Women and Death" a.k.a "Average Sobbing Over a Dead Plumber Corpse" That intro was practically a rehash of 6.02 with McCluskey screaming when she and Roy found strangled Julie laying on the lawn. Not impressed with that, uh, oh, David Grossman I thought you would know better than that since you are the one who actually directed 6.02. One of the very few good things about this episode was the amazing performance of Teri Hatcher. Very well done. She is actually a better actress than people give her credit for. I would akcnowledge this as one of her best episodes ever. Especially the speech at the funeral was very lovely and natural. Sometimes I even think that she very well might be the best actress on this show (sorry, Marcia no longer does anything amazing and Felicity constantly overacts, plus Eva is just being Eva). Hatcher knows this show the most out of these 4 main actresesses, she and Brenda Strong really understand the whole format. And the scene at the end when Susan realized that no one will ever be able to replace Mike was heart breaking. She should submit it for the Emmys this year.

Lynette was just classic Lynette in this episode. She has been so annoying for the last 2 seasons, argh! Of course she just had to think about the first time she went to a date with Tom (who had a huge hair back then btw), then we saw the scene of them being on Wisteria Lane for the first time together which was nice but did about nothing with me. And it was nice to see some continuity with the scene where Mike helps Tom with moving after the separation. Do you think they filmed it for 8.17 or it was cut from 8.02? Anyway, I knew she decided that she wants her husband back and I know exactly what the next episodes will be like. Expect some bitchy dialogues between Jane & Lynette.

Bree at least had something to do in this episode when she was being interrogated by Det. Gilette or something like that if I remember correctly lol. And why the hell does Det. Murphy hate her so much? Geez, Chuck must have been very chatty with his colleagues. That flashback of little Bree & her mother was kind of creepy and I was surprised to see that little actress who played a friend of Juanitas in early season 6. But that flashback with Rex only upset me. It was so idiotic that they brought him back just to show us and remind us that he used to be such a jerk to Bree. And oh boy, did he age a lot since season 1? Plus I am not surprised that those fingerprints matched since I read some spoilers.

Gaby & Carlitos - booha dooha, nothing special here. She allowed him to quit his well paid job because (of course) she had a flashback of the times when they were engaged and getting married and how Carlos even stood up to his mamá (how great it was to see Lupe Ontiveros again, she is so thin right now!). Then there was this dumb scene of them from cca. season 5 when she was frumpy and freaky. And finally a scene of them with Mike when he told her that Carlos is evidently afraid she would dump him if he stopped making those big bucks. Ugh, of course she accepted his decision.

Then there is Vanessa Williams who was singing more than talking in this episode and it was beautiful. Too bad my mother was watching with me and she has this crappy tendency to speak during every scene. Hmm. And I understand why Renee did not want to go to the funeral. Ben did not have any lines. Why the hell is he a regular when Emily Bergl and Brian Austin Green were much bigger roles last season and had more to do and they were only "special guest stars"? And Donny is already arrested? Hmmm, that was quick. 7.5/10

RenatoB

[59]Mar 20, 2012
    I loved when you estimated Brenda Strong, she really comes across as the actress with the most insight into the series, and I love that about her.

I agree about Ben. Meh. Keith was more interesting, and Keith was also slightly boring. And Beth was FRICKING AWESOME! I miss her... hope she's in the finale, but doubt it. I guess they weren't regulars because the writers never meant to keep them around for the whole season, which they didn't. And even so they were kept around for longer than they were originally meant to. I guess the same happened with Austin (regular) and Ian (recurring) in season 3. But Austin was written off earlier.

Lynette's flashbacks, while nice, were rather devoid of substance for me. Boring.

Edie70

[60]Mar 20, 2012
    Yeah, well Lynette is kinda boring these days. I finsihed re-watching season 2 (because I wanna see everything in order before the big finale, on 3.13 right now) last weekend and she was so much fun back then! I loved her Parcher & Murphy storylines. I think that them being credited as Special Guest Stars means they get a lot less amount of money and also they are not paid for every episode (even those they miss), but Jonathan Cake, Charles Mesure and Kathy Joosten, Tuc Watkins and Kevin Rahm were interestingly enough only credited when they appeared + only paid for their eps which I think is some sort of a new order from ABC. They need to save some money.