Desperate Housewives Forums

ABC (ended 2012)

8.18 - "Any Moment" Episode Discussion

Zazawie

[21]Mar 26, 2012
    • level: 19

Ratings:

2.6 ratings (same as last week) and 8.714 million viewers, a little below last week's 9.1 million viewers.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Jemadari

[22]Mar 26, 2012
    • level: 12

Random thoughts

Killing Aliens has put me to sleep many a nights though doesn't work nearly as well as stealing cars and killing hookers

Saw the personal shopping thing coming(who didn't) but figured something more she'd have for clients as opposed to work for a store and sometimes her characters unrealistic view of life borders more on cartoonish than funny

While I applaud Lynette's initiative not sure how I feel about her involving kids in it, and Taylor Swift isn't much of a singer but she is one helluva entertainer

Rule number one, YOU DON'T TALK ABOUT BODIES ON THE PHONE!!!

all in all pretty good stuff

Edie70

[23]Mar 26, 2012
    Oh, that is still decent. Last week it rose only because of Mike's death. Good to see the same demo. I think the next week will get a bump beacuse there will be no "The Good Wife" on 4/1. Btw, I am still holding it together. It is only a good thing that I was not home all day because I promised myself I will watch both 8.18 & 8.19 next Monday. Please, cross your fingers for me LOL!!

MohammedHasan2

[24]Mar 26, 2012
    • level: 4
    It seems to be stuck at 2.6. Will it ever rise above that number? After competing with The Golden Globes, we haven't seen it hit a 3.0.

MohammedHasan2

[25]Mar 26, 2012

Edie70 wrote:
    I think the next week will get a bump beacuse there will be no "The Good Wife" on 4/1.

Usually, TGW rises when there is no DH, so I hope you're right. Stupid CBS scheduled a new TGW against every single new episode of DH this year!

Edited on 03/26/2012 9:43am

DeGeorgetown

[26]Mar 26, 2012
    • level: 9

I loved how Penny helped Lynette with her plan. It's bothered me since the split how cool the kids are with it. It just didn't seem normal to me how accepting they were of Jane. I can't imagine my siblings and I reacting so casually to our dad getting a girlfriend so quickly after a separation.

I didn't care much for Susan or Gabby's storylines but enjoyed Bree's. It's great to see Andrew back. Wow that girl he found was weird... it would be interesting to see them continue on as friends though, it was sad how lonely she was. The only part I didn't like in the storyline was Bree calling to thank Ben. She's made some bad choices but she's not stupid, surely she would know not to talk about that subject over the phone.

Mgmble

[27]Mar 26, 2012
    • level: 7

I loved the episode the season is finally picking up, I especially loved the scene where Bree's on the phone and the cops are listening in, Why would you talk about a murder over the phone ?

Nice to finally see MJ and Julie interact for once and it was odd seeing how Mikes death has affected the family.

Gabby's story wasn't my favourite But it was not too bad

Lynette!!!! I want her to win back Tom now, She needs to win him back !!!

mully

[28]Mar 26, 2012
    • level: 6

I enjoyed this episode a lot. It might be one of my favorite filler episodes because every main character got a major chunk of the story, making it a well-balanced and entertaining episode. Well done.

Gaby's storyline was a bit unbelievable, but still pretty entertaining. Gaby has always been the comedic relief on the show so this personal shopper story serves two purposes: to be funny and also to make it so that even in poverty, Gaby can still be Gaby. Very convenient, yes, but a well-serving story arc anyway.

Things are really about to heat up between Lynette and Jane for the affections of Tom, it seems, which is something I originally wasn't interested in but now am totally stoked for. I wanna see them really cat fighting it out over the next few episodes and if the teaser for next week is any indicator, that's exactly what's going to happen. It's pretty obvious now, though, that Tom is having second thoughts about Jane (thank God) so it will be interesting to see how this develops.

For the first time in a long time, I can say I absolutely loved everything about Susan's story. I was one of the few people who didn't totally buy Teri's performance at Mike's funeral; she just didn't seem upset enough to fit the character. In this episode, though, she nailed it. Every facial expression, every tone of word was perfect as to what a newly-widowed Susan would be going through. MJ's bratty acting was also pretty good and a nice change of pace from him always being the "golly-gosh, gee-whiz" kid on the lane. The jam scene at the end was especially powerful and I feel like Teri Hatcher was brilliant here; absolutely great on a number of levels. Maybe over time and after the show ends, she'll realize that Susan "didn't peak at naked in the bushes", like she said to EW recently and that they killed off Mike (possibly) so that she could show off her chops as a very well-rounded actress.

Andrew and Bree just have such chemistry together as a mother and son. Although this story was filler, it was heartwarming to see them together again and especially when she tells him that being gay is not a choice. It really showed how much her character has evolved throughout the series, much like a real mother would over time as she comes to terms with her child's homosexuality. I'm not so into the fact, though, that they have all of this really hardcore, compelling evidence against Bree now with both fingerprints and an incriminating recording of a phone conversation. How is she going to get out of this? Realistically, there's no way in hell that she would in real life, but the writers have said on Twitter that the series won't end like Seinfeld (with all the characters in jail) so I'm just curious as to how she will be acquitted. Also, wouldn't that conversation also incriminate Ben as an accessory? More importantly, will they act on that? Doubtful, because this IS Wisteria Lane we're talking about so realism is only glanced at on occasion...

Edited on 03/26/2012 10:37am

mully

[29]Mar 26, 2012
    • level: 6
    RenatoB wrote:
    ^^

Question: when Lynette told Tom that Penny was with Jane and Parker was having pizza with badabim badabum (I didn't understand the name)... how come she didn't account for the twins? Aren't they back in her house?

I would say that won't be explained on screen, but could easily be written off as 20 year olds being 20 year olds and only coming home occasionally to sleep and do laundry.

kingoffheg

[30]Mar 26, 2012
    • level: 11

This was a top-tier episode! Yes, it was a bit filler but it was more entertaining than any other episode they put out in such a long time.

Susan: I really liked how this storyline was done and how it was written. I'm glad Julie has stuck around and I love how the writers didn't ignore the impact on MJ's life. The last scene with the jars was pretty touching, Teri did a fantastic job here.

Bree: Andrew's story was surely filler and predictable but still had some great lines and great moments. Mary Beth was actually rather endearing and funny, the surprise engagement party was also great! I loved how nervous Andrew looked. :p Oh and the development at the end of the episode was great, Bree is in trouble now!

Gabrielle: I really loved this storyline. It was funny from start to finish and actually contributed to her future storylines even though the outcome was really, really predictable. The scene at the boutique when she became the center of attention might as well be one of the best Gabrielle Solis scenes ever because it sums up that part of her personality perfectly. I really loved this storyline and hope next week's is just as funny!

Lynette: I'm really disappointed that Frank is being dropped like that but then again I'm glad Lynette is actually doing something to get Tom back instead of just waiting for him to come around (with the exception of what happened on their anniversary of course). The scene they had together reminiscing about what their life together was good and Tom catching fire was great. Tom is clearly starting to have doubts about Jane now and it would be really ironic and somewhat disturbing if he started an affair with Lynette and then that's how they get back together, similar to how they got together by being in an affair in the first place! :p Penny was amazing, I love her!

Renee: The first scene was hilarious and she was fantastic in all of her scenes actually, delivering memorable one-liners and hyping me up for her wedding. Is the wedding going to be in the series finale? Either way, I hope it happens on-screen and it is a complete and utter spectacle.

stellarchick86

[31]Mar 27, 2012
    • level: 32

I really loved this ep. Id put it in my top 5 for the season.

I loved that we got to see both Susan and MJ deal with the Mike aftermath rather than give Susan a filler episode, plus it was nice to see how Julie and MJ interact. Mason wasnt too bad, as well

I absolutely loved Gabbys SL because I felt like it gave her character development where she feels inferior because of her job-skills/education and what she would do in life rather than give her some SL where she is snapping orders at people or manipulating people to stay around so she can get what she wants, like Roy.

Lynette's SL was pretty good, I just hated that they made Jane all sneaky like that because she wasnt quite so obvious like that in the past. Yeah there was the picture taking thing at the party but to me thats not quite the same. This had "well your mom is mean and wont let you do fun things, but I certainly will!" written on it where as the party you can argue that it was about her wanting to get to know Penny. The concert was deliberately a thing to say how Lynette's rules should be overshadowed by her wanting Penny to like her more.

The only thing this episode did bug me with was Renee. I get that she likes Ben and all, but it just seemed like it was rushed for her to be so desperate to want to marry Ben already. Didnt her divorce kind of leave a bad taste in her mouth anyway? And she just found out a few eps ago about how Ben wanted to marry her for her money. I dont know, seems rushed to me

I also loved Bree's SL, glad to see her finally be SO positive about Andrew's sexuality, but I agree about how dumb it was to say things like 'dead body' over the phone. I thought Bree was smarter than that but guess not.

Also, what is the deal with Karen and the cancer? Im assuming it will be part of the finale then?

Overall, Id give it a 9/10.

Edited on 03/27/2012 1:20am

MohammedHasan2

[32]Mar 27, 2012
    No adjustments for DH. Once Upon a Time was adjusted up, and GCB adjusted down. Final numbers for DH:

2.6 and 8.810 million viewers

RenatoB

[33]Mar 27, 2012
    • level: 43
    Wasn't it adjusted up in numbers? I thought it was 8.7 at first.

MohammedHasan2

[34]Mar 27, 2012
    Oh right. Yeah, it was adjusted up 0.11 million viewers.

RenatoB

[35]Mar 27, 2012
    ^^ Well it's still something.

Edie70

[36]Mar 27, 2012
    Nice adjustment in viewers, we are getting the best numbers since early January if only the demo were higher.

I am finally going to watch this episode this morning since my flight on Monday got moved to the morning hours (I originally planned to watch 8.18+8.19 on Monday morning). Looking forward to Susan's, Renee's and Lynette's stories

Edie70

[37]Mar 27, 2012
    Watched it and I loved it. One of my personal favorites this season ( 8.10,8.16 & now 8.18 ) I will post a review on the episode's page

RenatoB

[38]Mar 28, 2012

Edie70 wrote:
    Watched it and I loved it. One of my personal favorites this season ( 8.10,8.16 & now 8.18 ) I will post a review on the episode's page
    Cool, I never remember to do that. Or to check those already posted.

Edited on 03/28/2012 5:06am

NovemberRose

[39]Mar 28, 2012
    • level: 7
    Anyone else notice that Mitzi Kinsky was mentioned. What happened to her anyway?

RenatoB

[40]Mar 28, 2012
    Mindy Sterling costs more money than having the character being mentioned, I supposed.

Also, guys (especially Dennis, since you seem to have more eye for that stuff ): am I the only one who thinks Andrea Bowen has gotten progressively better as an actress whereas Shawn Pyfrom has gotten progressively worst? Nothing he does seems natural anymore. In contrast, Ashley Austin Morris was really great as Mary Beth. Her voice, her weird look... everything.