Desperate Housewives Forums

ABC (ended 2012)

8.18 - "Any Moment" Episode Discussion

Zazawie

[41]Mar 28, 2012
    • level: 19
    ^^Andrea Bowen was great in the first three seasons, but then she lost her naturel, imo. This season however, I think she's doing a great job and she has definitely been better than she was in seasons 6 and 7.

Shawn Pyfrom never stroke me as a talented actor, to be honest. He was fine in season 1, but ever since his character became a "good boy" in season 3, he never convinced me anymore. Seasons 5-6 were his lowpoint imo, that was just plain bad. Oh how I cringed in that guitar scene with Sam.

He didn't really annoy me last week, he was just... there. But there wasn't really something difficult to work with, so...

Ashley Morris was good in her final scene in the kitchen, but I thought she was definitely overacting at the beginning. The writing didn't help either, but it was way too exaggerated and she even annoyed me a bit.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

mully

[42]Mar 28, 2012
    • level: 6
    I hate Mitzi Kinsky. I hope we don't see her anymore. As far as the whole Andrea vs Shawn thing, I agree totally. Shawn Pyroform has proven himself not to be such a great actor as an adult. He just always seems very "actory", like he's trying.

RenatoB

[43]Mar 28, 2012
    • level: 43
    Andrea was great in seasons 1-2, much like Darcy Byrnes has been in these last two seasons, a naturally-acting young lady. But in season 3, well, I disagree with you, Zazawie, cos that's when she started shaking her head left and right like a bobblehead with every word she said. When Julie gained an attitude, she also gained an annoying tick.

I remember her being really good in the teaser for 6.07, when Julie confided in Lynette.

And if you rewatch 8.18, I think you'll notice the little weird things about Shawn's acting.

I love Mitzi Kinsky! I totally want to see her again.

Edie70

[45]Mar 28, 2012
    I think Joy Lauren and Cody Kasch are a hell of a lot better than Andrea and Shawn.

Edie70

[46]Mar 28, 2012

RenatoB wrote:
    Andrea was great in seasons 1-2, much like Darcy Byrnes has been in these last two seasons, a naturally-acting young lady. But in season 3, well, I disagree with you, Zazawie, cos that's when she started shaking her head left and right like a bobblehead with every word she said. When Julie gained an attitude, she also gained an annoying tick. I remember her being really good in the teaser for 6.07, when Julie confided in Lynette. And if you rewatch 8.18, I think you'll notice the little weird things about Shawn's acting. I love Mitzi Kinsky! I totally want to see her again.
    Renato is right. There was a point where she started being unnatural and annoying as hell (she also had dyed her hair blonde during those times lol), only liked her in season 1. And Shawn is a terrible terrible actor, totally unbelievable and he has thing idiotic thing going on with his hands. They are always neurotically moving

RenatoB

[47]Mar 28, 2012
    Edie70 wrote:
    I think Joy Lauren and Cody Kasch are a hell of a lot better than Andrea and Shawn.

I don't notice Joy as much, cos honestly I didn't wise up to who was better acting than who till Neal McDonough joined the cast in season 5. To this day I still don't know if he's a great actor playing a character who couldn't act, or if he's just really a terrible actor himself. And because Joy's regular stint on the show pre-dates that and I don't watch old eps as much as I used to, I don't really know. I love her screams in 2.24, though. I think Cody's great, yes.

Edie70

[48]Mar 28, 2012
    Of course Joy got better as time went by, I thought her acting was annoying in season 1 & 2 as for Mr. McDonough - he is one of the worst actors I have ever seen in my life. His werido smiles/fake looks. DAMN IT, it was hard for me to believe him and most of the time I felt embarassed for this show to have him. Poor Nic, her ruined about 50% of their scenes together. The fact that he was the new husband of Edie bothered me so much. Terrible storyline.

Edie70

[49]Mar 28, 2012
    Btw, I think Dana Delany is not the best actress either. At least on DH. Crying is really not acting, only a simple technique thaught at a Drama School and she seemed to have used it quite a lot during those 3 seasons she was on. And her comedic skills are none existing (episode 5.06 her scene with Bree the morning after she had sex with that ex-con Peter who was selling kidneys her acting was terrible in that scene, so fake and unnatural). But her acting was 25% on DH, she was either crying or fake-smiling. And she practically fake-smiles on "Body of Proof" all the time and it is annoying.

mully

[50]Mar 28, 2012
    • level: 6
    ^^ I have GOT to disagree with you there. I feel like Dana Delany is right up there with Felicity Huffman as one of the best actresses who has ever been on the show.

Edie70

[51]Mar 28, 2012

Sorry, I just don't see it, not on DH (except for some performances I liked, in 4.05,4.09,4.14,4.17,6.01,6.10,6.15,6.16) and certainly not on BoP. But to her defense I loved her work on Pasadena. But that was about a decade ago. Also saw this TV movie "Baby for Sale" and she was tragic in it. Really. I think she is overrated.

Edited on 03/28/2012 2:19pm

Edie70

[52]Mar 28, 2012
    I honestly think the best actress on the show is Teri Hatcher now. Always has been, I was just blinded. Then it is Marcia of course, then Felicity and then a few seats away Eva Longoria.

As for the past housewives - Alfre is an acting genius, she has class .... Nicollette is a comedy genius, but she has a tendency to overact in dramatic scenes (not always, only sometimes, but Flicka also does that a lot and Dana too) and I have seen almost all of Nic's work and she did some great serious roles, for example she played a single mother of two little girls that got kidnapped by her nighbors in this "People Next Door" TV movie from 1996, she also played a stroke victim and did a great job playing a frustrated person who got paralyzed on "A Time to Heal" (1994) - Gary Cole a.k.a Wayne Davis from DH played her husband and she also did this great comedy "Noises Off" where she played a totally stupid British girl that made you just laugh out loud + she spent almost 80% of that movie in her lingerie but back to other housewives - Drea is dreadful, terrible actress (how the hell does she have an Emmy and Marcia, Teri and Nicollette do not????!!!) and Vanessa while not the best actress, she is great in comedy department and sometimes surprises me with heavy drama stuff

RenatoB

[53]Mar 28, 2012
    Vanessa has surprised me too in the drama department, I didn't think it was her strong suit (well, comedy is), and I think she actually outranks Eva there. However, I find that her one-liner delivery sometimes doesn't work. There are lines in which she will end the sentence too loud, like, it goes up in tone, so as to emphasize the punch line, and it gets weird.

The moment I first noticed Delany was probably not so good was indeed in 5.06, and then 6.01 came up and I was surprised. She didn't get much to do in s5 anyway. But in 6.18, when Karen told her... whatever about Robin, and she said "I'm not ready to be seen as a lesbian, okay?"... the delivery of that line clunked for me. Maybe it was the writing, but she could've said it with a different tone and made it work better. She is fine, though. I won't judge her on BoP because the writing for that show is terrible. Just terrible. There's only so much a good actor can do with cheesy material. Which is why I think maybe John Barrowman isn't so bad, maybe Patrick was just hard to work around.

Alfre Woodard is acting perfection, at least as Betty. You guys oughta re-watch that scene from 2.03 when she's teaching Susan to play the piano and she says that Matthew's hip-hop music drowns out the drier. Notice how she delivers the line. It's like we can tell that, deep down, the character, as she makes up that lie on the whim, is thinking "Oh, God, there is no way she's gonna buy this...". Neal McDonough doesn't have that quality. Alfre made bad acting look good. Neal didn't. He just made it look worst. Eva is quite good at it, like how in the last episode she did that line about the woman's husband in Iraq or when she 'quipped' with Karen in 8.15. I'd like to point out that I am not an actor and have practically no acting experience save for some school work. Not even productions, like school theatre or something, just making a play or short film here and there. So I'm the last person able to give pointers on acting, I'm just saying what I think didn't look well for the cast of DH.

RenatoB

[54]Mar 28, 2012
    As for Felicity, it's... confusing. I think she can't handle tame stuff. Seriously, she does a great crying scene and lashing out scene when Nora dies and yet when she is sad over Mike in 8.17 it doesn't sound believable. I think Felicity rocks the shiz out of huge, complicated, messy scenes, but when it's watered down she can't seem all that natural.

In drama, anyway. Because, doing comedy, I compare her to Julie Bowen of 'Modern Family', because I love noticing all the little ticks those two actresses put into their performances to make them all the more natural. As for Teri, there's only one scene of hers I didn't particularly like, which was when, in 5.21, she told Jackson through the bathroom door that she loved him. But Marc Cherry thought her acting was genius, and I guess it was indeed meant to be melodramatic and exaggerated, so she probably did do something great there. She might indeed be the best of the cast.

Edie70

[55]Mar 28, 2012

RenatoB wrote:
    As for Teri, there's only one scene of hers I didn't particularly like, which was when, in 5.21, she told Jackson through the bathroom door that she loved him. But Marc Cherry thought her acting was genius, and I guess it was indeed meant to be melodramatic and exaggerated, so she probably did do something great there. She might indeed be the best of the cast.
    THIS!! I also shivered during that scene Foot in mouththat was bad. And bad writing as well. It was like: "Do ya see that I am crying here? Just give me an Emmy and go to hell!"Laughing

RenatoB

[56]Mar 28, 2012
    I think they really wanted go all out on the cheesiness there, because I want to believe that the writers (who are not so bad, let's face it, they still often surprise us with good stuff) and Teri teaming up wouldn't lead to such a bad scene by accident. Hopefully, it was meant to be awfully melo.

Edie70

[57]Mar 28, 2012
    I chose to believe so, they wanted Susan to "hit the wall" in that one and to make her feel like such a looser in front of Jackson. (I hate him and his bad hair, btw)

Desperate-Fan

[58]Mar 28, 2012
    • level: 4
    Edie70 wrote:
    Btw, I think Dana Delany is not the best actress either. At least on DH. Crying is really not acting, only a simple technique thaught at a Drama School and she seemed to have used it quite a lot during those 3 seasons she was on. And her comedic skills are none existing (episode 5.06 her scene with Bree the morning after she had sex with that ex-con Peter who was selling kidneys her acting was terrible in that scene, so fake and unnatural). But her acting was 25% on DH, she was either crying or fake-smiling. And she practically fake-smiles on "Body of Proof" all the time and it is annoying.

I don't think Dana is that great either, she's highly over rated in my opinion.

Mattsterzz

[59]Mar 28, 2012
    • level: 7

I really wished Felicity got some good scenes, she a brilliant actressbut her talentsarent being used. 1.08 and 3.07 are obvious examples of her great skills, but i've never felt that shes a very good comedic actress. I think Eva had to learn to do Drama, because she was great in last season, but I never really liked early on forexamplethat scene in Season 2 when the police were taking Lily away, I just thought Eva wasnt quite ready for the power of that scene.

I think Teri and Marcia are excellent actresses, they both can do comedy and drama very well. Marcia is funny in her own way, because Bree isnt funny, but she does serious funny things, I cant really explain it. I dont think Teri is melodramatic, its just Susan being melodramatic. Marcia was best in Season 2, she was funny and serious in 2x09, and I love it when she confronts Matthew in 2x24. Shes also been brilliant this season. Teridoesphysical comedy and drama brilliantly.Susan is my second favourite main housewife. For example, I loved her in Season 6, because she had the pain of Julie being strangled and crazy Katherine, but she had some hilarious material later in the season like when she was trying to get her money back in 6x22. She is the best physical comedian on the show.

Edie70

[60]Mar 28, 2012
    I think Eva plays herself