Desperate Housewives Forums

ABC (ended 2012)

8.20 - "Lost My Power" Episode Discussion

RenatoB

[21]Apr 30, 2012
    • level: 43
    ^^XD!!!!

I know, I felt so sad for Susan. And not the least bit for MJ. Could be cos the kid can't act. Today, instead of always having one hand over the table (like 8.17), he decided to always keep his hands in his pockets. And the same stoic face as always.

Someone asked if he had pull over in Hollywood. His brother, Maxwell Perry Cotton, was a series regular on "Brothers & Sisters", which I think could stand to be the most boring series ever with the most annoying characters ever. Anyway, I'm sure ABC heads found it cute how two siblings got regular roles on two of their hit shows.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

kingoffheg

[22]Apr 30, 2012
    • level: 11

What a disappointment this episode was, ESPECIALLY since there's only one episode left before the finale. I won't bother going into the individual storylines of the housewives but most of them were filler. The only one I consider to be of any importance is Lynette's... Bree's had some good stuff but the fact that the writers had decided to focus on this love interest is so disappointing, especially because the cliffhanger of the episode revolved all around it. Renee was good but her presence was kept to a minimum while Susan & Gabby are still dealing with filler storylines so late into the season...

My favorite part of it all was the promo for the next episode, it's so sad that the show is ending!

shenbrat

[23]Apr 30, 2012
    • level: 8
    Mattsterzz wrote:
    Meh, 7.5. Boring, I didnt care for any of the housewives SL, and I didnt like some of the lame Australian jokes (Folks, they dont play didgeridoo's over here much). Bree, you would rather care about your image than go to Prison? Your image will look bad when your in Prison. The lunch scene reminded me too much of the scene between Chuck and Bree when they went to dinner. Overall though, I like Trip. Lynette, I could understand why you would want to sabotage Jane and tom relationship, but send Tom to INDIA and not care!!! He is the father of you children! MY GOD! Gabby, why did you have to do that to Carlos! If your not careful gabby, you'll complete the set of single housewives. Susan, I feel sorry for you. How do you deal with a kid like MJ. He is rude, but his father just died. I guess she did the right thing. I'm glad all the guys came together to help her. Especially Ben. Im looking forward to the trial next week. Im looking forward to the finale.

Who said Lynette didn't care about Tom being sent to India? Can we wait to see what she says or does in reaction to the boss's idea first?

Desperate-Fan

[24]Apr 30, 2012
    • level: 4
    shenbrat wrote:
    Mattsterzz wrote:
    Meh, 7.5. Boring, I didnt care for any of the housewives SL, and I didnt like some of the lame Australian jokes (Folks, they dont play didgeridoo's over here much). Bree, you would rather care about your image than go to Prison? Your image will look bad when your in Prison. The lunch scene reminded me too much of the scene between Chuck and Bree when they went to dinner. Overall though, I like Trip. Lynette, I could understand why you would want to sabotage Jane and tom relationship, but send Tom to INDIA and not care!!! He is the father of you children! MY GOD! Gabby, why did you have to do that to Carlos! If your not careful gabby, you'll complete the set of single housewives. Susan, I feel sorry for you. How do you deal with a kid like MJ. He is rude, but his father just died. I guess she did the right thing. I'm glad all the guys came together to help her. Especially Ben. Im looking forward to the trial next week. Im looking forward to the finale.

Who said Lynette didn't care about Tom being sent to India? Can we wait to see what she says or does in reaction to the boss's idea first?

She definitely does care, she was caught off guard at the end of the episode.

shenbrat

[25]Apr 30, 2012
    • level: 8
    As for Bree's string of men I can't for the life of me see why that would imply she may have taken Alejandro home and forgot him. He died months before Bree took up drinking and had he one night stands. If a parade of men came and claimed to be with Bree and all in her drunken looseness I'd wonder why none from Alejandro's lifetime said the same.

Zazawie

[26]Apr 30, 2012
    • level: 19

Ratings:

2.5 demo and 8.09 million viewers. Both down a bit from the previous episode. Perhaps The Good Wife's season finale had something to do with it, although that had a series low. Probably just the break.

Edited on 04/30/2012 9:04am

Daniel777C

[27]Apr 30, 2012
    • level: 31
    Zazawie wrote:

Ratings:

2.5 demo and 8.09 million viewers. Both down a bit from the previous episode. Perhaps The Good Wife's season finale had something to do with it, although that had a series low. Probably just the break.

They really need to up the promotion. Even Flicka didn't know there was a new episode last night.

MohammedHasan2

[28]Apr 30, 2012
    • level: 4

The half hours were 2.6/ 2.4. And the total viewers half hours were: 8.44/ 7.73. The fact that it opened with a 2.6 means that it was the same as the last episode, but the fall in the second half hour of 0.2 and almost 0.7 million shows that the episode wasn't good, and people didn't like it, so they stopped watching. TGW finale did even worse than the last episode. Half hours were 1.8 / 1.7. But it increased in total viewers from 9.75 in the first half to 9.90 in the second half. I hope people return to DH next week, since there is no TGW, and the promo should bring back some former viewersalthough, I doubt it, cause Mike's death didn't increase the ratings.

Edited on 04/30/2012 9:30am

Edie70

[29]Apr 30, 2012
    • level: 19
    TRIVIA / POSSIBLE MISTAKE: Gaby said she did give birth in Hammond Hospital - but probably with Celia, because Juanita was born in Fairview Memorial Hospital

evafan2005

[30]Apr 30, 2012
    • level: 18

I noticed that too, but just assumed it was Celia. But ya know, I remember in Season 2 Lynette said Fairview was a small town....I don't know any small town that has 3 hospitals (Sacred Heart, Fairview Memorial and now Hammond Hospital) not to mention the countless corporate buildings that Tom, Lynette and Carlos have worked in.

Marmalade11

[31]Apr 30, 2012
    • level: 10
    I don't understand how the number of men Bree slept with would interfere with the trial.

I thought Alejandro was reported missing LONG before Bree became an alcoholic / slept with a lot of men?

Daniel777C

[32]Apr 30, 2012
    • level: 31
    Edie70 wrote:
    TRIVIA / POSSIBLE MISTAKE: Gaby said she did give birth in Hammond Hospital - but probably with Celia, because Juanita was born in Fairview Memorial Hospital

Wise choice, I'd say. At least she took home the right baby.

KasenStuff

[33]Apr 30, 2012
    • level: 5
    Wish you could reply to peoples reviews. I was reading a review about someone commenting on how Susan seems so together after Mike's death and it's just not her character... And I just got to say, that you can be surprised how strong some people can really be. I'm very much a Susan, emotional, etc... But I've proven time and again just how strong I really am... And I don't think it's that farfetched that Susan is handling it well. She loves Mike and she misses him, but she's not as weak as she lets us believe at times.

RenatoB

[34]Apr 30, 2012
    KasenStuff wrote:
    Wish you could reply to peoples reviews. I was reading a review about someone commenting on how Susan seems so together after Mike's death and it's just not her character... And I just got to say, that you can be surprised how strong some people can really be. I'm very much a Susan, emotional, etc... But I've proven time and again just how strong I really am... And I don't think it's that farfetched that Susan is handling it well. She loves Mike and she misses him, but she's not as weak as she lets us believe at times.

The thing about Susan was she was always melodramatic, a drama queen, making a big 'look at me i'm crying' scenario out of every little thing, thus making her a bit self-involved. But this, what just happened... sucks big time. Her life fell apart, there's no room for melodramatism. What we're seeing now is real Susan, broken, but trying to get fixed. Just like her mother with cancer. A whole life of 'me, me, me' coming to a point where she, she, she actually tried to go through it alone and get back on track, without being overtly dramatic.

Endoplasmic888

[35]Apr 30, 2012
    • level: 7
    KasenStuff wrote:

She couldn't even get out her words to Eli straight when Mike left her. Now she seems pretty okay with Mike's DEATH so it seems pretty weird if you ask me.

RenatoB

[36]Apr 30, 2012
    Okay, rapid review.

I actually enjoyed this episode more than I thought I would. It was filler, but of the entertaining kind. 8.19 was more important to ongoing storylines, and I fricking hated it. Anyway...

LYNETTE - I couldn't stand Gregg Limon from the moment he opened his mouth. That guy had 'douche' coming out of every hole in his body. The whole story was just weird and rather ridiculous, and made me hate Lynette a little. Too bad Jane only got one scene after a pivotal previous episode for her character, and she wasn't even on bad terms with Tom anymore. BTW, why is it that, in the last three episodes, Dr. Bitch is always horny in some scene? Addendum: Whereas I liked what they did with Penny this season and she's still my favorite non-bastard Scavo child (Kayla rules, bitches), she's too quirky now. Tone it down a little, writers and Darcy.

SUSAN - Please bear with me as I make clear my sadistic views on how the series should end. Because, yes, not only should Julie give birth to a stillborn, I think Susan should pull a whole case of the Andrea Yates and drown that sorry excuse for a child actor. Between him and the kid from 'Once Upon a Time', I don't know who's more annoying. Not only his bad acting, his bad personality too. I mean, I feel really sorry for MJ, losing a great dad who never spoke to him throughout the whole season has got to suck, but what he did with that awesome car Susan worked on... seriously? He should had gone under the truck instead. Poor Susan. Poor Teri Hatcher. Poor me having to watch this crap. Addendum: That scene with the guys was beyond cheesy. And were Bob and Lee thrown in the mix just so they could make it to the 5-episode mark? What does Lee the All-Reigning Queen of Stereotypes know about building a small car? Doesn't he have an opera CD to listen to dressed in a kimono?

GABRIELLE - I read Dennis saying that Doris Roberts had a stroke, so I'll try to be respectful enough to not mention her weird voice anymore. Anyway, this story was quite entertaining, and I liked the Doris character. It was nice seeing the back-and-forth between the Solis couple. Carlos was quite good, particularly when he did that little dance. But the ending still didn't sit right with me. I thought, when she told him all that crap about him being a shark, I thought he was gonna say she doesn't know him at all and that he can't believe she actually believes that... but it turned out to be true and I... I'm just frustrated. Oy, are these two annoying this season. If these self-centered obnoxious fools get a happy ending when Susan and Mike didn't I might lose my marbles. Addendum: WHY THE HELL doesn't Celia say stupid stuff anymore? Bitch is funny when she's dumb.

BREE - I don't care for Trip Weston. Sure, he can be funny, charming and interesting. It's still a shit story. Pardon the French.

Addendum - It's shittier than I let on.

RENEE - I'm okay with this. I wanted Renee to find out the truth... 15 episodes ago. Now, I kinda like that she's an outsider, an innocent. To have it now would really just feel like 'too little, too late'. She should had learnt during 8.10. Addendum - I don't really have one, but since I added those to every character, I figured I should keep it up. So... Renee and Ben... yeah, that's happening. And I don't really care.

MARY ALICE - Yeah, I don't really listen to her anymore. I assume her voice-overs in this episode were about power. Wasn't that the theme for 3.19 too? Something like that?

Addendum - I still wonder how much Brenda Strong gets paid per episode.

RenatoB

[37]Apr 30, 2012
    Endoplasmic888 wrote:
    KasenStuff wrote:

She couldn't even get out her words to Eli straight when Mike left her. Now she seems pretty okay with Mike's DEATH so it seems pretty weird if you ask me.

We can rub it out as 'happened off-screen'. Susan can be a mess off-screen, and composed on-screen. I honestly don't have much of a problem with that. She must've had her moments when she shouted out in agonizing pain. Now, she's doing her best to move on because it's what Mike would've wanted. And because there's three episodes left, why should she care anymore?

stellarchick86

[38]May 1, 2012
    • level: 32

I thought this ep was okay, but nothing special.

Gabby, even though she is my fave, is really annoying me lately. It sucks that they are regressed her character so much as being the 'selfish/materialistic' one. I thought maybe this SL would help show how she ISNT those things by having her come through in the end but..nope. Its quite obvious they have no idea what to do with her this season which is sad since she was the one who started this Alejandro SL in the first place.

Susan's SL was good because it showed how she and MJ are still dealing with everything (I hate when an important character dies and then we never really see the aftermath of it) but I just didnt really care about it that much. Though it was better than last weeks

Lynette's SL also annoyed me in that 'she is regressing' kind of way. I get that she wants Tom back, but my goodness, old Lynette would stoop so low, I dont think (and yes I know the boss guy, whose name I cant remember, did the work, but she went along with it)

Bree's SL I liked because I like Trip and I like her with him, but I also agree on wanting her to be single when the show is over. I can understand the writer's not wanting 1/4 ladies to be single when the show ends, but even if Lynette/Tom get back together (let's face it, they will), Susan will still be single anyway

Oh yeah- Forgot about Ben/Renee LOL. I liked their SL, though I still think their marriage is too rushed

Looking forward to next week

Edited on 05/01/2012 12:24am
    Edited 2 total times.