Desperate Housewives Forums

ABC (ended 2012)

Bree and Keith's Relationship in Season 7

DHFreak

[1]Jan 20, 2011
    • level: 2

Ok, I'm gonna go out on a limb here, but I wanted to know what people think of Bree and Keith's relationship this season. To me, Bree seems to be the most consistently boring housewive this season and it wasn't always like that. I feel that with the recent addition of Brian Austin Green as Keith, it's given Bree's character something to do, just for the sake of having a storyline.

Ever since the last episode, where Bree met Amber, Keith's former lover with a child, it really made me think indepth of their relationship and what both of them are thinking. Over the seasons, we've seen how these characters grow and change, they develop and take on new personas (i.e. Gaby growing from the untamed ex-runway model to a motheryly housewife) I think this season has made it obvious that the writers have completely stripped Bree of any pretense of her past character and I honestly don't like it. I think it is interesting to see the housewives grow and develop as people, while always maintaining what they represent, as Bree herself described, Susan's the adorable one, Lynette's the smart one, Gaby is the glamorous one and Bree, well, she is the perfect wife, mother, homemaker and housewife.

I don't see that Bree anymore. It's like her character has been completely altered this season and I cannot say if it's for the better. Of course, this is just my opinion. Nowadays, she's jumping from man to man to man. One day, Orson, the next, Karl, the next Keith. She's not Bree anymore, she seems more likeEdie and that was NEVER her at all. Even in the earlier days, during the whole Rex-Bree-George love triangle, it was made apparent how uncomfortable she was with George while Rex was both alive and dead. She felt it was too soon to go out with George just after Rex had passed, let alone move in with him. Bree's life was about keeping up appearances, but now, she's just not the same. I feel that Bree had been defined by the standards that she set for herself as a woman and this season, she's been transformed. Everything of her past life is gone and I feel like Keith is a major contributer to that.

First, I don't think that Bree's character wouldEVER fall for a character like Keith. I believe she had a primary attraction to Keith, but she only discovered that after she learned that Orson was moving onto a rebound relationship. At the time, Bree still loved Orson and we know that Orson still loves Bree.

I liked the fact that Bree and Keith took the time to build up that relationship instead of just jumping right into dating. I liked that they established a friendship first, then moved onto dating, then went to move in together. However, I honestly don't see how their relationship will continue. Every episode they have, they get into and argument and end up making up by the end of the episode. They discover how different they are, accept it, then move on. But there's been SO many road blocks along the way. Hell, Keith wants marriage, Bree wants to take things slowly, they moved in together very soon, Bree indirectly caused Keith's parents to divorce, Bree was just divorced, Keith's father hit on her, we know Keith has struggled with past violent outbursts and now, we KNOW that Keith wants children...when his former lover/baby mama is knockin on the door with a bouncing baby boy.

With every moment of happiness they have, they have triple the amount of conflicts they have to face. Even when Mike and Susan were divorced, they seemed happier than these two. I see the arrival of Amber James (Keith's former lover) as just the gateway to get Keith out of Bree's life for good. I believe that Keith loves Bree, he just hasn't thought about the relationship seriously. He's only known her for months and he's already talking about marriage. It just seems too much for Bree to take on. Whether or not Keith would leave Bree for a life with his son, I can not say, but it seems more than likely that he'd want a life with his son and I think the introduction of Amber and her son will be the end of Bree and Keith for good. I do believe that Bree had been using Keith as a sort of distraction from her divorce, just as Keith had put it. I believe that Bree's been scarred by life, so she'd look to find love in anyone, even if it meant lowering her standards.

I would have found this storyline very compelling if it was much darker, say if their relationship had turned abusive, which definitely is not out of bounds, due to Keith's violent past. So much could have come out of that, we could have had a full fledged domestic abuse storyline, which we've only touch upon in the past, it would have involved Bree becoming a stronger person, trying to keep up her own appearances of herself, her relationship and her life (which has been one of her recurring storylines throughout the season) and better yet, Bree might have even turned back to alcoholism. Though, we'll never know with the way the current storylines are heading...

I believe that Keith would leave Bree for a life with his son, much to Bree's dismay. Both Amber and Bree are wrong in this situation. Amber was wrong for waiting all this time to contact Keith, but Bree is wrong for stripping Keith of the right to know about his son. Though, that skeleton will come out of the closet soon enough and when it does, Keith will have to choose between a life with Bree or a life with a son.

If Keith was to be removed from Bree's life, I believe it would be a breaking point for her. Another lover gone and a single life again and there would still be quite a bit of time left in the season. Perhaps at the end of the season, the writers are going to focus on Bree turning to alcoholism again to cope with her sadness. Maybe she won't need to cope and she'd just start to re-construct her life only to realize that she's a strong woman that doesn't need a man to be happy. Then, this could all lead back up to Andrew's hit and run with Gaby's mother-in-law, something that the writers have seemingly completely forgotten.

So, I hope that Bree is to return back to her former self. I feel like the writers often switch the characters personalities up, just for the sake of giving the audience something new, even when it doesn't always work. Like, Katherine Mayfair was always the cold, strict housewife...suddenly Season Five comes along and she's Mary Poppins, only to become a crazy lesbian in Season Six. I think their just experimenting with Bree at the moment, before returning back to Bree's original ways. As it is, we don't even see Bree's children anymore (Danielle only makes a few guest spot appearances and Andrew hasn't been seen in forever.) I think Bree is going to return back to the way she was like in the majority ofSeason Two. Single, recovering from loss, dealing with some demons along the way, only to realize that she'sthe stronger person.

Though, I believe somewhere far down the line, Bree and Orson may reunite again. They always seem to find their way back to eachother, even throughout the worst of situations, alot like Susan and Mike. So this is just my overly along opinion and views of Bree in Season 7.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

StylishCandy

[2]Jan 20, 2011
    • level: 5

I couldn't agree with you more.

I always felt that the whole Bree/Keith storyline was a filler - wasn't he supposed to have some big, dark secret or something? Or was that just his jealousy?

The breakup is pretty much inevitable at this point, but I really, really hope they don'tintroduce or bring backyet another man into Bree's life. Has she even ever been single for more than like, a week or two, on the show?

I would love to see Bree have another nervous breakdown, like she did at the end of Season 2, but with less quack-y, more helpful doctor. You'd think that, given her reaction to everything in Season 2 (husband being murdered, watching boyfriend-who-murdered-your-husband commit suicide in front of you, another boyfriend sleep with your son, dumping son in the middle of nowhere, etc.) she would've reacted similarly in Season 6/7. (lover dies, husband's paralyzed, husband divorces you, etc.)

I wouldn't want Bree to deal with alcoholism again, since that's been done a lot before, but I guess Bree having a nervous breakdown would go hand-in-hand with drinking.

RenatoB

[3]Jan 21, 2011
    • level: 43
    Unfortunately, I have to agree. I like the character of Keith, but his relationship with Bree is too stale and seems rather unnatural. My favorite Bree episode lately was 7.12 because she hardly co-starred with Keith, and reaching out to Beth out of Christian charity and hosting a dinner party was a pretty good call-back to her earlier days. Even when she was having an affair with Karl she was all about keeping up the appearances, and she'd never allow herself to sleep with him in filthy motel sheets. Now, she's diving into steer maneur... which is very odd. It seems like every week they go through a "we're so different we shouldn't be together oh but I love you what does it take for you to believe me let's hook up" ordeal. It's gotten very annoying. I was really fond of the story in episode 7.13, though. It opens up the doors for a lot more drama.

marto_dd

[4]Jan 21, 2011
    • level: 17

I agree with you two. The storyline has been the most arrogant filler we've seen on the show.

Bree's character was really ruined. Completely. Once she was that special lady, obsessed with cleaning, obsessed with keeping up appearance, keeping deep love for family and family values. Now she is just boring, she is just ordinary. Absolutely ordinary woman who experiences dating after a divorce. It is ridiculous. She clearly lost her mojo like none of the other ladies EVER did. Take Gabby in the beginning of season 5. She looked so poor, desperate, even ugly, not like the glamorous Mrs. Solis we all now and love. But even then Gabby had her spirit, she had a CHARACTER. Bree doesn't seem to have any character this season and it is a horrible, horrible thing to watch. They really did give her Keith just so she could have a storyline, any storyline. Bit it isn't a good storyline, it isn't in character and I don't just mean it's not in Bree's old character - it isn't in any character, there isn't anything personal or special in the woman we've seen lately. What a waste.

However, I keep being an optimist and I do hope Bree would become interesting in the future. I just feel that Bree and Orson are an endgame, they just have to end up together at the series finale. I think Bree's decision to be a different person and not to slip back into the role of Orson's wife would last as long as did Susan's decision to be single and not engage in romantic relationships.

DH-Weirdo

[5]Feb 20, 2011
    • level: 7
    I don't like Bree's story this season either. It's not primetime soap oprah, it's just a woman meeting a man. -.-

DH-Weirdo

[6]Feb 20, 2011
    Compare this to the alcohol addiction Bree had in S02. It's night and day for god sakes ;P

quad-ent

[7]Feb 20, 2011
    • level: 2

I don't see this relationship going anywhere. It's like Bree is proving that She can change, She can be more than a monotone perfect woman, hbut Keith is nothing more than a chance for her to try. But soon he's gone, and I am worried because it seems like the writter don't know what to do with her after Keith and Andrew.

Has anyone regconized it? Season 6 and season 7 has 2/3 episode for Bree's love affair, and then boom, Andrew's problem appear (even in season 5, Andrew and Alex getting maried the same time that season)

txgirl75

[8]Feb 20, 2011
    • level: 23
    The only one that has had a good storyline is Gabby that's about it.. Susan I don't really like what they have done with her character.

Fallon97

[9]Apr 19, 2012
    • level: 5

Actually, I like Bree best with Keith. So I like their relationship.

Mattsterzz

[10]Apr 20, 2012
    They were no match for each other, it was just a rebound. I was glad when they broke up. It should have lasted 5 episodes, not 14