Desperate Housewives Forums

ABC (ended 2012)

How do you want the last scene of the show to be like?

What kind of scene do you want in the last minutes of DH?

DH-Weirdo

[1]Sep 4, 2011
    • level: 7

Now when we're about to go in to the last season, I wanna hear about how you guys want the ending scene of the show to be like. You want it to end with a big character dying, a housewife? Or you wanna see a flashforward, a flashback? A cliffhanger? Somebody from the past coming back?

Share your thoughts!

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

RenatoB

[2]Sep 4, 2011
    • level: 43
    Mary Alice. Whatever she does, she must be the last character shown, in my opinion. It'd be the perfect ending. Although it's kinda ruined by the fact that Mary Alice wasn't actually the first character seen on the series, Gabrielle was.

As for the ending of the stories, I'd hate for the series to end with several paralell storylines, so the housewives all going to jail would definitely be a juicy overall ending, and an appropriate one as well, giving new meaning to that whole thing they have with being brought together every now and again. They could remain best friends in prison. Lynette would be the top dog, who'd have to protect Susan from the bad women, Bree would be grossed out by everything and Gabrielle would yell at the warden for not being allowed to wear a Vera Wang jumpsuit.

NiallB31

[3]Sep 4, 2011
    • level: 8

I don't want a cliffhanger. I want all loose ends tied up.

I don't really know at this time but I would like for the last minute or so a montage of clips from the 8 season with Mary Alice narrating over it.

When I was watching the second season finale I thought to my self the closing montage would be a perfect ending to the series but take out the Orson and Bree conversation and that would be a perfect ending.

It is hard to choose. I have seen a few last episodes and I have liked most of them but I do hope that the last scene is as attention grabbing as the very first scene of the first episode.

kingoffheg

[4]Sep 4, 2011
    • level: 11

Definitely a flashback of a poker game while Mary Alice was still alive. Maybe the night before Mary Alice killed herself or something. It shouldn't be too difficult to connect the scene to the season-long storylines.

No1Slayerette

[5]Sep 5, 2011
    • level: 9

Hasn't Marc Cherry been quoted somewhere as saying that he has always know what the final scene of the show will be? If I recall correctly he said something like that it's going to end with just one of the housewives in the final scene. Naturally, from this account, I've always just imagined Susan holding a coffee mug and staring ominously out her kitchen window onto Wisteria Lane while Mary Alice rolls out some 'meaningful' narration linking all of that seasons storylines logically and metaphorically together, even though they never really fit. So, you know, basically the ending of every single Desperate Housewives ever. I would hope for a cliffhanger or something shocking, but after watching the show for so long I've come to realise Desperate Housewives has never been as innovative and creative as it appears to be, and is really just a stereotypical drama, so I'll bet it'll end up being a happy ending.

Mattsterzz

[6]Sep 9, 2011
    I want Bree to die and go to heaven and be greeted by Mary-alice and Rex and Martha huber and other dead prominent characters and the last shot is just Bree and Mary-alice holding hands across the screen

RenatoB

[7]Sep 9, 2011
    Mattsterzz wrote:
    I want Bree to die and go to heaven and be greeted by Mary-alice and Rex and Martha huber and other dead prominent characters and the last shot is just Bree and Mary-alice holding hands across the screen

Why Bree? I don't know, I always thought that if one of the main four housewives were to be featured in the final shot, it'd be Susan. But mostly I always assumed it'd be just Mary Alice.

DH-Weirdo

[8]Sep 9, 2011

I thought Susan too, but what I want is definitely Lynette. Felicity's the best.

RenatoB

[9]Sep 9, 2011
    She is the best, and arguably the greatest living actress. But for a scene like that, I'd choose Teri any day.

DH-Weirdo

[10]Sep 9, 2011
    And that's okay RenatoB. But Felicity Huffman is the best. She is a god. And we do not argue against a god, right?

RenatoB

[11]Sep 9, 2011
    LOL of course not. She might rant at us about how we deserve the bad things that have happened to us and then she'd throw her 60 babies at us, along with her fellow God-husband William Macy.

Felicity Huffman deserves some kick-a** material in the finale. Something definitely challenging, especially to make up for the lackluster year she had in season 7. I love Vanessa Williams, but the writers screwed everything up for Felicity by bringing her in. Anyway, I just really feel that, aside from Mary Alice, Susan would be the only housewife to pull off the last scene. It'd just make the most sense for me, somehow. Maybe it's only me, but to have either Bree, Lynette or Gabrielle capping the series would seem odd. I don't know, but it's like... Gabby's the glamorous diva, Lynette's the neurotic mom, Bree's the perfectionist homemaker, and Susan is the all-around girl-next-door, so it'd make more sense for her to be the one. Again, aside from Mary Alice, who is the one that'd make the most sense. I'm not saying this because Teri's the first in the credits (despite my jokes in the other thread), or because I like Susan more (I think I love all the 'wives equally), but doesn't it feel like somehow she's still sort of the main housewife?

Does anyone else feel that? I really think that to have any one of the other 'wives in that position would feel odd.

evafan2005

[12]Sep 9, 2011
    • level: 18

I definitely feel like Susan is the "main" housewife....we really need no further proof than the closing minutes of the Season 6 finale. that really just screamed "this is really Susan's show" to me.

DH-Weirdo

[13]Sep 10, 2011
    Well I agree about that, in season 1 it was Susan who was driven to find Mary-Alice's blackmailer.

rentlover1

[14]Sep 10, 2011

I think the idea of the poker game is pure gold. What an excellent idea! Had never considered it. I still stand by that Lynette should die with her friends by her side and then she goes with Mary Alice, however having some kind of cliff hanger where the wives are together bidding a friend goodbye and then remembering a final poker game with Mary Alice back when they were all "happy" would be amazing.

I know Marc has said one of the wives will leave the lane but in a twisted way so I think he is hinting at a death there and he has also said that it would end with one housewife on the lane and it makes sense that that would be Mary Alice. I am almost certain the series will have a touchingly sad or happy ending as opposed to something like the housewives going to jail or a cliffhanger but only time will tell.

In any event, Vanessa Williams needs to not be in the final scene. She needs to bow out early. Buffy is an example of an exemplary ending where all the characters who have come since the first season disappear and there is a final moment with the original four leads. In that case it was Buffy, Willow, Xander and Giles. In this case it has to be Susan, Bree, Gabby and Lynette alone (playing poker most likely) and then a pan out to Mary Alice "leaving" the lane.

RenatoB

[15]Sep 10, 2011
    When it comes to Mary Alice, do you guys want some sense of closure? Maybe there's some part of Wisteria Lane that keeps Mary Alice watching over it, tellings us the stories of her friends. Wouldn't it be interesting if the final narration had a "letting go" sort of feel to it, the way Edie's had? Rather than making it seem as though Mary Alice will keep narrating the stories of her friends and that street forever, she could stop in the series finale and move on. Something like that.

You guys are really keen on Lynette dying, huh? That'd be alright by me, despite the fact that it'd break my heart. Anyway, it would indeed be interesting if a housewife died, and Lynette is the most likely candidate. I can't picture any other housewife dying. And, of course, Felicity would be the best one to pull that off. She'd probably cause her heart to stop beating for a few minutes just to make the scene more believable.

RenatoB

[16]Sep 10, 2011
    evafan2005 wrote:

I definitely feel like Susan is the "main" housewife....we really need no further proof than the closing minutes of the Season 6 finale. that really just screamed "this is really Susan's show" to me.

Too bad her story was the crappiest in that finale. XP I'd be more inclined to go with the sixth season premiere, actually. Bree's wedding to Orson was the theme of episode 3.02, but she never stood out as much as Susan did in 6.01. Not to mention that Gabby got married in 3.23, but Susan's wedding stole the spotlight and became a bit of a climax in that finale. And then there's the fact that, even though she's neck-to-neck with Bree when it comes to the final showdowns/mystery climaxes (Susan in seasons 1, 5 and 7; Bree in seasons 2-4), Susan always had more screentime in those episodes than Bree ever did in hers, particularly in 5.24, as opposed to Bree in, say, 3.15.

evafan2005

[17]Sep 10, 2011

I meant that more because of Mary Alice's voice over and the whole tone...it almost felt like it could've been a series finale, minus the whole return of Paul thing.

rentlover1

[18]Sep 11, 2011

That's very true. Or as some have said the end of Season 2 could have been a perfect series sum or the end of Season 7 with Susan's toast to her friends (more evidence Susan is the main character- lol). I never really think of Susan as the lead anymore when I'm watching the show but shedefinitelydoes get all the major moments devoted to her (like the leaving at the end of Season 6 and her toast in Season 7), but her characterdefinitelyneeds the support of the other women.

I think if Marc had made it a show all about one woman, being Susan, the show would have ended long ago. You needed all four to make the show work, so really I think the last person on screen should be Mary Alice watching the women walk away from camera or playing poker as she represents the street and the overall meaning of the show.

DH-Weirdo

[19]Sep 11, 2011
    True true...

evafan2005

[20]Sep 11, 2011

I know we still have a whole season to get through, but it really just hit me...I'm not ready to leave Wisteria Lane yet. The thought of it just makes me so incredibly sad. I love not only the women, but everybody on the street and feel like they are my friends and family too. The fact that this is the last year we're going to have them in our living rooms every week is just...I don't even know how to describe it. No other show will EVER come close to being as wonderful as this show is and I will always treasure it. I hope that even after the series finale airs, we'll keep this board alive and look back fondly on the 8 years we had with this one of a kind show.