Desperate Housewives Forums

ABC (ended 2012)

I Love Susan!

Who here loves Susan?

RenatoB

[1]Oct 6, 2011
    • level: 43

Eight seasons into this show, and I will still often find so many articles here and there, on occasion, of people expressing their disregard for one of the main characters of our favorite series, Susan.

People will complain that she's too needy, too whiny, too klutzy, too crazy, to self-absorbed, etc. I see that as part of her charm. I see that as how the writers want to put her out. So I don't get what the big deal is.

And the worst part is, a lot of those people, for some reason, hate Teri Hatcher. They will say she's a bad actress, ugly, anorexic, stupid, b*tchy, arrogant and downright hateable. When it seems to me that she's far from that. She looks amazing for her age (why do people always associate skinnyness with lack of health?), she strikes me as somebody clever, based on her interviews, she's funny, and not just in-character, she's charismatic and she's charitable. And, I'm sorry, but Teri is far, FAR from being a bad actress. She's the show's reigning queen of physical comedy, and I think her scenes from 1.23, 2.06 and 5.24, among others, are more than proof that she's a great dramatic actress as well. So what's the problem, exactly? I just can't understand why everyone is so keen on hating Susan and Teri. When the character is self-absorbed, they hate her for it. When she is altruistic, they can't stand her. When they think Teri had tons of botox, they criticize her for it. When she posted those pics on Facebook proving them otherwise, they claimed she looked like a monkey and needed botox. Seriously?

This is the "I Love Susan!" thread. In it, I want to hear from users and commenters who love Susan the way I do, and I'd also like those who don't to, please, clearly express why you don't. Same thing for the actress who plays her.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

RenatoB

[2]Oct 6, 2011
    By the way, this might seem totally random, so let me explain, I just googled Susan, looking for images for the wiki, and came across the search option "i hate susan mayer".

evafan2005

[3]Oct 6, 2011
    • level: 18

I love Teri Hatcher, but I do have to say that Susan went from being my #1 housewife in seasons 1-2, to being my second favorite housewife in seasons 3-4 to just being intolerable to me from season 5 on. For me, the physical comedy stuff was fine at first because it was toned down. Then it became like an every episode thing where Susan had to be a bonehead and have some kind of incident. It just became too over the top and tiring for me and as a result, she irritates me. She's been okay so far this season (the cupcake funeral really grated on me though) so maybe the last season can redeem her for me.

rentlover1

[4]Oct 6, 2011
    • level: 8

I agree that Susan has gotten very needy of the years, however I still love her. My favourite season for Susan is actually Season 6 because of the amazing dynamic they got with her and Katherine. All of that was awesome and while she should have talked to Katherine I liked how she handled things in the end and some great comedy was there.

My least favourite Susan seasons are actually the first two. Her obsession with finding Mary Alice's killer and her drooling over Mike really got to me after a while and also I disliked how she just jumped from guy to guy in Season 2.

For me the Susan I love came out in mid Season 5 (with the Katherine living with Mike stuff). Season 3 was fine but again hated her flip flopping and Season 4 she really didn't do anything which is funny cause she's meant to be the lead but she really just had nothing to play with that year.

So far I am enjoying her in Season 8- I think everyone bitching about her role in Episode 2 was silly cause that was a very dark episode (which lets face it covering up a murder is a dark place to go) and so they needed Susan to be the comedy of the night. It also lead her to Carlos which now is going to be one of the juiciest parts of the season I feel and really show another side of Susan we haven't seen (what if she is tempted to cheat after all those years of judging cheaters?)

As for Teri I have no dramas with her and hate all the theories people have that she is somehow excluded from the rest of the female cast. Maybe there is a bit of pressure there because she doesn't cling to Marc Cherry as much as the others and she started with more money and then signed her contractseparateto the other women for the additional seasons and season 8 but that is no reason for the cast to dislike her. She iscommittedto the show and I think her interview from the end of Season 5 where she was on the discussion panel and said the show could live without Marc I agree with. The end of Season 7 and start of Season 8 has been amazing and echoes back to how we loved the show early on- it hasn't felt this fresh in years so I feel Teri is very intuitive and was right by what she said. In contrast to the end of Season 7 we have the end of Season 6 where Cherryrecycledalmost every memorable storyline in the series so lets be honest- it was time for a change of pace.

DH-Weirdo

[5]Oct 7, 2011
    • level: 7
    I completely agree, everybody hates Susan and I can't put my mind to it. I love her, she's very human and would do a lot of things other people would do in the for example covering up a murder-storyline (the guilt, the withdrawing from friends/family and so on).

RenatoB

[6]Oct 8, 2011
    Come on, guys, no one else loves Susan?!

RenatoB

[7]Oct 9, 2011
    Guys, something just hit me: this story they're doing with Gabrielle and her stepfather... Teri Hatcher went through it. She was molested at a young age too, even younger. I wonder if it's been hard on her having to deal with this new storyline... Thankfully she's not playing Gabrielle.

evafan2005

[8]Oct 9, 2011
    • level: 18

yeah, you bring up a very good point. I'd forgotten about that. I would think she's probably handling it well though, she seems like she's been able to heal that part of her life.

DH-Weirdo

[9]Oct 9, 2011
    • level: 7
    OMG, I didn't know that!

Fallon97

[10]Apr 19, 2012
    • level: 5

I love Susan. Renee is my favorite, but Susan is my second favorite.