Desperate Housewives Forums

ABC (ended 2012)

Mary Alice, lack of backstory througout the series?

tvtome_xena321

[1]Apr 20, 2012
    • level: 27

Even though we know what kind of person Mary Alice is, does anyone feel that after 8 years, they barely did much with her character except for her bond with the four woman, her season 1 mystery.

After 8 years, Mary Alice has never gotten much backstory on her relationship with Paul outside of her season 1 mystery in One Wonderful Day. We know nothing about her and Zach, except from what we saw in One Wonderful Day.

Mary Alice has never interacted with Edie, nor Martha one on one.

Looking back its always been about her killing herself, the letter, her season 1 mystery and meeting the four woman.

Lets hope the series final, Mary Alice and Martha interact with each-other, and we get to see why they hate each-other so much. It would be so stupid to end the series without showing them together.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Zazawie

[2]Apr 20, 2012
    • level: 19
    Well, we do know why Mary Alice and Martha weren't on speaking terms and I think we can get a good idea of what their conversations would've been like by just seeing how Paul and Martha interacted in season 1.

I kind of like that we never saw them together. It makes things a bit more mysterious and by now, I don't really see the use of it anymore. The entire story with Deirdre hasn't been touched since season 2 and Martha's connection to Mary Alice is finished, certainly now that Paul has finally confessed his crimes.

I do wonder how Mary Alice and Edie got along, but I always imagined it going something like Edie and Bree. MA always seemed like a light-version of this stepford wife thingy, so I think she didn't agree with her life style either and probably stayed away from her as much as she could. Remember, before the series started Edie was just a neighbor, not really a 'friend'.

In a way, I'm thankful we never really got to know Mary Alice aside from that season 1 mystery. Look what they did to Rex post mortem. This way she still comes across as this very nice woman with flaws, but relatable. If they gave her too many flashbacks (which most likely would've made her more 'human', less likeable) she would no longer be this almost God-like narrator from a neutral perspective.

mully

[3]Apr 20, 2012
    • level: 6
    I was just thinking the same thing last night about how we really don't know Mary Alice. For her to be such an important part of the history of the show, all we really know about her is that she was married to Paul and couldn't have children, she accepted Deirdre Taylor's offer to sell her her baby, skipped town, killed Deirdre when she returned for Zach, then killed herself once Martha Huber was onto her. Oh, and we also know that she was kind to her friends and neighbors and loved children. Other than that, she's a blank slate, which is a shame because they could have done so much with that character over 8 seasons.

Edie70

[4]Apr 27, 2012
    • level: 19
    Yes. We barely got to see her ever since the first season and that's a shame. Season 7 was a terribly missed opportunity. They better show us a lot of her in 8.22 & 8.23. Damn.