TV.com will be making changes to the Private Message system the week of Jan 26, 2015. For more information click here

Desperate Housewives Forums

ABC (ended 2012)

Narrator

318north

[1]Oct 1, 2008
    • level: 6

Is it just me or has the novelty of Mary Alice as the narrator worn off on "Desperate Housewives?"

I've been with the show since the beginning, so I remember who she is, but some people may not. Also, I was surprised that they didn't use Rex as the narrator for the later seasons after he died.

Come to think of it, does the show even need a narrator?

Thoughts?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

oopschoice

[2]Oct 1, 2008
    • level: 3

I love her voice and how she uses it. Great narration requires good acting as well and she does it beautifully. She becomes one of the signatures of the show. I also love the script at the beginning and the end of each episode.

Brenda Strong is indispensable! But I don't mind having Rex as a guest narrator now and then.

toxic_boy21

[3]Oct 1, 2008
    • level: 13
    318north wrote:

Is it just me or has the novelty of Mary Alice as the narrator worn off on "Desperate Housewives?"

I've been with the show since the beginning, so I remember who she is, but some people may not. Also, I was surprised that they didn't use Rex as the narrator for the later seasons after he died.

Come to think of it, does the show even need a narrator?

Thoughts?

Absolutely disagree. I've always felt that Mary Alice, though is irrelevant to the plotlines now, is still the heart of the show. She ties everything together from beginning to end and really is the voice of the women.

jra3209

[4]Oct 1, 2008
    • level: 15
    I always wondered how it would be if Edie had actually died in her "suicide" and had become the narrator...

PiperPrueLover4

[5]Oct 2, 2008
    • level: 18
    The show needs voice-overs to show the theme of the episode in a beautiful way.

It needs Mary Alice because her death sparked the entire show, she is the raison d'etre, the housewife that became so desperate that she took her own life.

Glenn11523

[6]Oct 2, 2008
    • level: 18

I really think this falls under the "if it isn't broken, don't fix it" category.

I continue to enjoy very much the way the narration is done, the theme it gives to each episode and the flavour it adds to DH.

I for one would not want to see that change at all and frankly, I'm not even interested in any "guest narrations" either.

JMHO

marto_dd

[7]Oct 3, 2008
    • level: 17
    318north wrote:

I've been with the show since the beginning, so I remember who she is, but some people may not.

She makes an on-screen appearance every season, so even if someone don't remember her from season one, he or she will know who Mary Alice is.

And the show totally needs voice-cover, it really brings A LOT.

And the key thing about Mary Alice being a narrator is not that she is dead. The key thing is that she was their friend, one of their closest friends in the world. So she knows the housewives really good and she loves them and she can make us know and love them as well. She is not just a dead person, who watches the living ones, she tells us the story of the street she lived, the stories of the people she shared her life with. And that whole concept about her is just amazingly great

Edited on 10/03/2008 6:36am

318north

[8]Oct 3, 2008
    • level: 6

Ok, ok...Everyone brought up some good points.

I won't give up on Mary Alice as the narrator.

eimajamie

[9]Oct 14, 2008
    • level: 9
    I especially love it right at the end when Mary Alice is closing the show.

NJZ

[10]Oct 20, 2008
    • level: 29

jra3209 wrote:
    I always wondered how it would be if Edie had actually died in her "suicide" and had become the narrator...

In one word? hilarious.

In a few more words: but not as good as Mary Alice

PiperPrueLover4 wrote:
    It needs Mary Alice because her death sparked the entire show, she is the raison d'etre, the housewife that became so desperate that she took her own life.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Whilst the "novelty" of her voiceovers may have worn off, I still find them incredibly beautiful and relevant to the show and it's themes. It called "Desperate Housewives" and the voiceover reflects the perception of the most desperate of those housewives. DH just wouldn't be DH without Mary Alice.

And whilst we're on the topic of other narrators, may I just point out that Rex's voiceover sucked? (as did the episode in general). Steven Culp is a decent actor but he couldn't project his voice in an interesting way off-screen. What I love about Brenda Strong is that she does this perfect mix of sing song with serious undertones. She just knows how to do it and she does it well. This show would be lost without her and her character.

So does the show need a narrator? Most definitely yes.

It isn't like One Tree Hill or Grey's Anatomy where IMO, the shows could just do fine without the voiceovers coz they don't add much anyway. DH's voiceovers are more like that of Veronica Mars or Criminal Minds where they are utterly relevant to the show. They are needed in order to construct the full picture, whether it's to convey the mind of a serial killer and - to some extent - justify their actions (Criminal Minds) or whether it's to show life from the perspective of a broken-down girl who woke up one day and found her life suddenly crashing down around her and how this shapes who she is and how she deals with her new life (Veronica Mars); the voiceovers are completely necessary.

And whilst I love Grey's Anatomy and enjoy One Tree Hill, I don't feel as if the voiceovers are needed. They're fun and they make the viewer feel like the show has depth (whether or not it actually does) but that's all they are at the end of the day. I love Meredith Grey's voiceovers and it makes sense that a show entitled Grey's Anatomy has a voiceover from the lead's perspective. But at the same time, I find that Meredith philosophises about stuff she knows absolutely nothing about. She talks about stuff that is way beyond her scope; beyond her own knowledge and that lends itself to unbelievability.

And whilst a dead woman watching over and narrating about her friends is also unbelievable to an extent, atleast Mary Alice is talking about stuff she does have knowledge of. She is the one showing us life on Wisteria Lane. We're seeing everything from her eyes - from her perspective. We're not seeing everything play out and then seeing a character narrate about something he/she may not have even been part of (e.g Meredith Grey).

And after typing all that I realise I have somewhat digressed from the original question. But my answer on whether or not DH needs a narrator is a firm "yes, it does"

heartfailure26

[11]Oct 21, 2008
    • level: 16
    I agree that the voiceover is a "must" for Desperate Housewives but i completely disagree about what you said about the narration of Grey's Anatomy.When Meredith does voiceovers it comes from the point of view as an intern,being a surgeon, or it could simply be about life.Meredith knows what she's talking about for the most part it's just she has a peculiar wisdom which is not always the typical way at looking at life in which some cases the narration of Desperate Housewives could be somewhat pointing out the obvious.I always found the narration of Desperate Housewives to have a haunting underlining to it.These two shows have different ways in coveying their narration because Mary Alice is sort of our guide to wisteria lane and its characters while Grey's Anatomy talks about life in general.
    Edited on 10/21/2008 9:29am

NJZ

[12]Oct 21, 2008
    • level: 29

heartfailure26 wrote:
    I agree that the voiceover is a "must" for Desperate Housewives but i completely disagree about what you said about the narration of Grey's Anatomy.When Meredith does voiceovers it comes from the point of view as an intern,being a surgeon, or it could simply be about life.Meredith knows what she's talking about for the most part it's just she has a peculiar wisdom which is not always the typical way at looking at life in which some cases the narration of Desperate Housewives could be somewhat pointing out the obvious.I always found the narration of Desperate Housewives to have a haunting underlining to it.These two shows have different ways in coveying their narration because Mary Alice is sort of our guide to wisteria lane and its characters while Grey's Anatomy talks about life in general.

Yeah, I get what Meredith's voiceovers are about and I tend to love them but I don't find them wholly necessary.

And I didn't make clear what I meant by saying Meredith doesn't know what she's talking about. What I meant was that the stuff she VO's about is stuff she may have experienced (e.g. how tough it is to be a surgeon) but - at the same time - she articulates it in a way that she's actually not capable of articulating it as. The way she phrases her thoughts in the VO is way beyond her mind,IMO. Of course she's smart coz you have to be to be a doctor BUT I find it a little out of character for her to speak about stuff at such a high level when - in every single episode - we see how broken and flawed she is as a person. Mer doesn't fully understand the complexities of life herself yet she speaks about it as if she knows. I don't mean this in a negative way, I just mean it's a little contradictory. Does that make sense?

Maybe I've got it wrong and everything I've stated is the whole point of the voiceover in the first place. i.e. placing us - the viewers - in the hands of an unreliable narrator who shows us her flawed yet rather profound views on life. Maybe that is the point.

But again, I don't find GA's voiceovers all that necessary. They do add little bits of depth to the show and they're enjoyable at times but I don't get all that much out of them. But atleast it's not like Heroes where a VO adds absolutely nothing to the episode aside from the obvious.

I think the Mary Alice voiceovers go much deeper than both GA and Heroes.