Desperate Housewives Forums

ABC (ended 2012)

Renee is such a disappointment

He-bat

[1]Mar 21, 2011
    • level: 7

The writers are too busy trying to portray Renee as a totally different character than Wilhelmina, and that's a mistake because we are left with a rather underwhelming and boring character. Most of the fans want to see Vanessa play a vixen and I don't understand why they don't just give us what we want. ABC promised us a trouble-making-vixen, but she hasn't done anything really. Renee Perry is beyond dull..

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

rentlover1

[2]Mar 22, 2011
    • level: 8

The other issue I think is everyone knows Renee is the Edie replacement. As such I think the writers are trying to give her more heart than Edie. She has a 'I'll tell you what I really think' attitude but a softer side she tries to keep hidden. I agree that her presence on the lane is far less intrusive then Edie's was but I like that they are trying to make her 3 dimensional.

I just wish they had made more of herrelationshipwith Tom. Made Lynette's reaction one that made Renee want revenge or make Tom be more drawn to Renee.

The baby thing was nice but they arent saying what all this is really about for her. I mean she used to be surrounded by people and had a husband to complete her. Now she has a few gal pals but a completely empty house where she lives alone. Hence the wish for companionship with Tom or a baby. I think this needs to become a bigger issue for her where the lonliness becomes so great she starts to break out.

Just a few thoughts but I agree, Renee is far from the hurricane we all expected her to be on the lane.

He-bat

[3]Mar 22, 2011

They made her look like very cool woman in posters and promos. But now she's more filler than Karen McClusky. And the writers don't give her anything to do, they just put her in the other women's filler-storylines. Before season 7 started I was so excited to see Vanessa Williams on the show, but she's not doing anything or shaking things up. They need to make her more nasty and raise some hell.

KTheLibra

[4]Mar 26, 2011
    • level: 2

I'm going to be very interested to see where Renee's character goes and what kind of storylines she'll be getting in the seasons to come (if indeed there are any). I wonder if we'll get to see more of her background, like her family and such, and if she'll ever be involved in any mysteries.

txgirl75

[5]Mar 27, 2011
    • level: 23
    They don't really have any exciting characters this season. I was hoping Rene would be kinda like her character on Ugly Betty.. When does this show coming back on.. I thought CW was the only channles with long breaks guess not.

rentlover1

[6]Mar 27, 2011

If you mean Housewives its due back on April 3rd (before another one week break- sigh)- after that it will remain on till the end of the season.

If you mean Ugly Betty, its gone, which is why Williams was free to cross over to a new show.

I really think the writers wanted to avoid copying the Ugly Betty character but because they also wanted to avoid copying Edie's characteristics they really left themselves with nothing to work with. She cant be the new Edie and not share characteristics with her.

RenatoB

[7]Mar 27, 2011
    • level: 43
    rentlover1 wrote:

If you mean Housewives its due back on April 3rd (before another one week break- sigh)- after that it will remain on till the end of the season.

If you mean Ugly Betty, its gone, which is why Williams was free to cross over to a new show.

I really think the writers wanted to avoid copying the Ugly Betty character but because they also wanted to avoid copying Edie's characteristics they really left themselves with nothing to work with. She cant be the new Edie and not share characteristics with her.

Actually, DH will not be airing on April 10th.

rentlover1

[8]Mar 28, 2011

Thats what I meant.

It returns April 3rd but then is not on April 10th but then returns April 17th and runs till the end of the season. So yes techniquelly thats two weeks of no show but I was saying we had one week on, one week with nothing and then its back for the remainder- if that makes clearer sense- lol).

RenatoB

[9]Mar 28, 2011
    ^^Yes, well, stupid me managed to read your post without noticing the "(before another one week break- sigh)" part. Forgive me for my mistakes. Sometimes I'm just not good in the head.

Your phrase was clear enough.

He-bat

[10]Mar 30, 2011

Renee is so boring and I am getting tired of her lack og storyline. She needs a man. Maybe she can go after Carlos?

RenatoB

[11]Mar 30, 2011
    I was excited to see a supporting housewife that isn't connected to the seasonal mystery, but I guess it's hard to come up with stories for such a character without a stable conflict to go along with it all... but I love Renee nonetheless, I wish there'd be more drama with her, and I wish she and Lynette would stop sharing filler stories, but she's been great so far nonetheless. Her lines are hilarious!

Zazawie

[12]Mar 30, 2011
    • level: 19

He-bat wrote:

She needs a man. Maybe she can go after Carlos?

That would make her even more like Edie. If she would be going after any man, it should be Tom.

They discarted that possibility too soon anyway. It looked like her affair with Tom in the past would become such a big thing, but it ended with a fizzle. If Lynette would've gotten a good story this season, that would've been fine. But she didn't and it really is annoying how they just threw away their only shot at a good storyline for a Larry Hagman's guest stint that went absolutely nowhere.

He-bat

[13]Mar 30, 2011

No it wouldn't be like Edie and Carlos, this time the writers would make Carlos actually feel something for Renee and not have him hiding the affair like when he was with Edie. This time he would make it obvious to everyone that he was with Renee. I think these 2 would be great together, it would give Renee a story and a man, it would create conflicts with a housewife, which every one want to see and it would leave Gaby to date some one else, and that is something I am dying to see. And Renee is not Edie. I am counting on the writers to be clever enough that they can make this Renee and Carlos thing work.

He-bat

[14]Apr 3, 2011

That being said, I wouldn't mind if Renee and Tom had an affair again, at least give Renee something to do. They are really wasting Vanessa Williams..

rentlover1

[15]Apr 3, 2011

That was where I saw the story arc going. What happened was a total let down. The idea of their past possibly becoming their future was an awesome idea AND it was something we hadn't seen since Tom was the only man on the lane to escape Edie's claws. But to do it now would be pointless. Renee has moved forward and her relationship with Lynette is healed already. No point bringing it up again.

He-bat

[16]Apr 3, 2011

The casting of Vanessa Williams was far more exciting than anything they've actually done with her.

RenatoB

[17]Apr 4, 2011
    He-bat wrote:

The casting of Vanessa Williams was far more exciting than anything they've actually done with her.

I actually have to agree with this... I still can't believe Vanessa Williams is a part of the cast, but she is, and she's not doing much. She has great lines, though. And she did quite well in the latest episode.

He-bat

[18]Apr 5, 2011

I liked her in 7.17, so insensitive.

rentlover1

[19]Apr 6, 2011

It was a vast improvement and more of what I expected from her character. Really enjoyed her this week. She and Gabby are an awesome pair.

DH-Weirdo

[20]Apr 7, 2011

I agree! Renee has been much more of a bi*** in the latest episode. Haha, I loved "clean her head with a handgun"! And good we're getting some about her past (her mother and so on). The character is improving!