Desperate Housewives Forums

ABC (ended 2012)

Series Finale Ratings?? What would you like to see? Predictions.

RenatoB

[41]May 14, 2012
    • level: 43
    How so? I think she looked both happy and sad, at once. Perfect.

My favorite was probably either Nora or Beth. Someone said their face lit up when they saw Beth. Same here. Love those quirky women. I was also very glad we got to see Chuck again, even if he looked so awkward, which he did.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

sav001

[42]May 14, 2012
    • level: 1
    Desperate Housewives series finale ratings: 3.2/8 11.10m

Not as high as I was expecting, I thought it would be around a 4 demo and 15m. Sad to think it used to get 30m in season 1.

mully

[43]May 14, 2012
    • level: 6
    What kind of ratings is Grey's Anatomy getting these days? I wonder if their finale (possibly next year, I've heard) will get crazy American Idol-style ratings? Jeez, I hope not. I'm already kind of sad that Desperate Housewives didn't even reach the 13 million mark.

evafan2005

[44]May 14, 2012
    • level: 18

I highly doubt Grey's will end next year. It's ABC's #1 Show on Thursday nights and ranks between #1-3 for the night between all of the networks. It usually pulls in between 9-12 million per week. Plus, Ellen Pompeo, Patrick Dempsey, Sandra Oh and a few others just signed new 2 year deals (of course, our ladies did that last year too and now here we are, so who knows) but I think it's highly unlikely they'll ax Grey's next year, especially since it's the final season for Private Practice.

RenatoB

[45]May 14, 2012
    Wow, Grey's is turning into ER. That's actually kind of a turn-off for me. I watched every episode of seasons 1-6 on TV here in Portugal, recorded them all, but haven't sat through ss 7-8 yet. It's already bad so many of my favorite regulars are gone, if they go on till 10 seasons, I don't see myself committing to it. Though it's a really great show, and Shonda Rhimes sure can deliver a finale.

evafan2005

[46]May 14, 2012

It's really not that bad, they've had the same cast for both Seasons 7 & 8 and should have most of the cast back for Season 9 as well (6 of the 14 renewed their contracts, and we know 2 other people are coming back for sure as well)

RenatoB

[47]May 14, 2012
    What about Katherine Heigl? I heard she wanted back, is that not happening? Cos if not, that seems foolish, wouldn't her return mean good things for the show?

evafan2005

[48]May 14, 2012

Well Shonda said it wouldn't happen right now, but "right now"could easily just mean season 8. We'll have to wait and see if she comes back for season 9 (I personally would love it)

But, Katherine Heigl just adopted a second daughter so even if she DID come back, it wouldn't be more than a 1 or 2 episode cameo.

Kadodian

[49]May 16, 2012
    • level: 23
    Grey's anatomy stopped being good after season 5 ended, however, the season six finale was so incredible that I wanted to give season 7 a chance and that was a bust. The musical episode made me cringe, alot. Haven't started on season 8 yet and I honestly don't think I will anytime soon. Desperate Housewive's numbers are extremely dissapointing but whatever, the finale was very well done and that's all I care about.

Mattsterzz

[50]May 16, 2012
    • level: 7
    Ive never seen Grey's before, but I'll watch this finale, it looks really good.

MohammedHasan2

[51]May 16, 2012
    • level: 4

Grey's is still doing very well. This season it has averaged 9.8 million viewers and 3.5 in the demo, and that doesn't include the finale. And year to year, its only down 0.1. In comparison, DH averaged 8.8 million viewers and 2.7 in the demo and year to year its down significantly, by 3 million viewers and 1.1 in the demo. And Grey's is still the No.2 Drama this year, and No.3 if you include the The Walking Dead on cable, which is surprisingly the No.1 Drama this year. And with the situation ABC is currently in, expect Grey's to get that season 10.

I think a big factor that helps Grey's, is that, it doesn't allow its actors pay to get too high. Like, DH needed the 4 actresses on the show, so they were able tonegotiatevery high pays for themselves, and they were all the highest paid tv actresses. It was widely reported that they were getting $400,000 between season 4 and 7. Grey's on the other hand, doesn't let actors pay getting too high, and if they do, then they can kill off their character to bring down costs.

Its pretty amazing that Grey's is still big (big for today's standards) even in its 8th season. DH would have been almost as big too, if it hadn't been for the big award shows bringing it down in season 6 and season 7. Its quite unfair that Grey's doesn't have to face competition that DH didYell.Oh well, next year things should get interesting, with Glee and Grey's airing against eachother and both competing for the femaleaudience. And although Glee is alot weaker than it used to be, it will be getting an X factor/ Idol lead in, which should increase its ratings, but we'll see who will win. Once Grey's goes, then that will be the end of the big 4 shows - DH, Grey's, House, and Lost- that all started in the 2004- 05 season.

Edited on 05/16/2012 4:17pm

Marmalade11

[52]May 16, 2012
    • level: 10
    RenatoB wrote:
    Wow, Grey's is turning into ER. That's actually kind of a turn-off for me. I watched every episode of seasons 1-6 on TV here in Portugal, recorded them all, but haven't sat through ss 7-8 yet. It's already bad so many of my favorite regulars are gone, if they go on till 10 seasons, I don't see myself committing to it. Though it's a really great show, and Shonda Rhimes sure can deliver a finale.

Actually, season 8 has been a bit solid and consistent. I really think it's on the same level as season 5. Though it stalls a bit from episodes 15-18 with the Owen/Cristina drama, it got really good, especially towards the end. This finale looks a bit ridiculous... even for me.

evafan2005

[53]May 16, 2012

MohammedHasan2 wrote:

Grey's is still the No.2 Drama this year, and No.3 if you include the The Walking Dead on cable, which is surprisingly the No.1 Drama this year. And with the situation ABC is currently in, expect Grey's to get that season 10.

According to ABC, Grey's is the #1 Drama (though I'd assume they mean network).....is it just #1 for ABC or is it #1 between all 3 networks? I definitely think it will get a season 10 either way, possibly more depending on how things go.

MohammedHasan2

[54]May 16, 2012

Yeah, the networks like to promote their own shows as No.1 in different ways. So, ABC is promoting Grey's as No.1 when you include DVR viewing (Live+7). So, in that measurement, Grey's would still be the No.1 Drama on television even ahead of NCIS and even The Walking Dead on cable. CBS promotes NCIS as the No.1 drama, since its gets the most Live viewers both in the demo and in total viewers. But of course, its the Live viewers which count and more importantly, its the 18-34 audience which makes the most money, and this is where Grey's is still doing great.

Another big reason why Grey's is still doing well in comparision to DH, is because it has always been more young skewing than DH. They were discussing this on tvmediainsights the other day: Back when DH was still new, its core audience was made up of a lot of women in the 40+ demographic. Over the 8 years, that audience began leaving the 18-49 demographic, and so DH kept on becoming more old skewing.

And yeah Icompletelyagree that it will get a season 10. Ratings are still strong, and even if they fall significantly next year, which is unlikely, ABC will have to give it a final season. And besides, none of ABC's new pilots look that strong, and most of the shows will end up being cancelled.

Edited on 05/16/2012 7:09pm

evafan2005

[55]May 16, 2012

Ohh okay, I was never sure how that stuff works and honestly, the demo confuses the heck out of me so I usually just look at viewers hahaha

I'm not sure how I feel about this upcoming TV season yet. I had felt pretty good about the 2011-2012 season but the only show that really stuck for me was Once Upon A Time so I guess we'll just see how it goes. TV goes through it's highs and lows, it hit a huge high in 2004 with DH, Lost, Grey's and House but there's been no other breakout shows/years since then. We'll probably have one or two more low years and then get an incoming of smash hits again, that's usually how it works. Of course, the TV landscape has also changed drastically thanks to the internet, so who knows what will happen.

RenatoB

[56]May 16, 2012
    Tell me one thing, "Grey's Anatomy" wouldn't dare go on without Ellen Pompeo, would it?

evafan2005

[57]May 16, 2012

I think they would dare. Would they suffer? Probably. But I don't think Shonda would have a problem going on without Ellen.

On a DH note, it took me a couple of days but I'm finally over the sad feeling of the show being done. I'm ready to see new shows and relive my days on the Lane through my DVD collection.

Edie70

[58]May 17, 2012
    • level: 19
    RenatoB wrote:
    Tell me one thing, "Grey's Anatomy" wouldn't dare go on without Ellen Pompeo, would it?
    Yes, they totally would. But I think she is staying for one more season or so.

MohammedHasan2

[59]May 18, 2012

Well, if anyone's interested, Grey's got a 4.1 and 11.44 million for its season finale . I don't get how that show can just bounce back from the 2.8 it was getting a month and a half ago. Whenever DH fell, it would hardly increase again.

Usually I don't hope for shows fail, but its sooo annoying that a brilliant show like DH's finale, couldn't even beat the season finale of a show. So, now, I really really hope Grey's falls a lot next season!Yell

To think, that without the DH lead in, in the first two seasons, Grey's would never ever be as big as it is today. grrrrr

Oh well, I guess DH created a monster....

btw, how was the finale of Grey's? A lot of people aredisappointedSmile.

Edited on 05/18/2012 3:31pm
    Edited 2 total times.

Edie70

[60]May 18, 2012
    • level: 19
    Grey's is a drama. People (like me) loves these kinds of shows and they always make huge winter and season finales. Nobody wants to see some sitcomish storylines being dragged for 35 minutes and then 7 mins of a little cliffhanger-ish drama like DH, I've grown tired and disappointed of campy shows.