Desperate Housewives Forums

ABC (ended 2012)

The Final Season spoiler topic

RenatoB

[41]Jun 7, 2011
    • level: 43
    I do hope they get separated for a long while and that drama ensues. But now that I think about it, it is kinda silly how these women keep getting divorced and marry the same men a while longer. Susan has been married four times to two different men (she married each of them twice), Gaby and Carlos have been married twice as well, and Sophie also married one guy twice... We all know Lynette and Tom will end up together in the long haul, so there's really no point in getting them a divorce. I'm sure they can work something out without making it legal. We already had a nice, messy divorce with the Solises in early season 3. That was fun.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Zazawie

[42]Jun 8, 2011
    • level: 19

Doug Savant has submitted himself for the Lead Actor Emmy Category.

I get that the competition with the Modern Family guys in the supporting actor category is tough, but submitting for lead actor? He might as well not submit at all, instead of going up against people like Alec Baldwin and Steve Carell.Tongue out

RenatoB

[43]Jun 8, 2011
    ^^That's odd... I think Doug Savant is the best male actor on the show (and is thus well paired up with his on-screen wife, the best actress), and his comedic timing is perfect, and I'm appalled that he hasn't been at least nominated before for the supporting category, but if he wasn't then, I don't see him being now. DH is usually snubbed, and no one buys that on a show called "Desperate Housewives" for which the women get all the media coverage and for which the men were always relegated to supporting roles (as he's been nominating himself for consideration throughout the years) any guy is a leading actor.

I'd like for some list to come out stating which actors submitted which episodes under which categories. We knew all that in seasons 3 and 4, but in the recent years there hasn't been that much information unless someone is actually nominated (like Kathryn Joosten last year). At least not that I'm aware of.

NovemberRose

[44]Jun 11, 2011
    • level: 7
    According to Felicity Huffman in an interview, she and Doug Savant have been pushing Tom and Lynette's separation since season 3 and that ABC executives didn't want that because the want a stable couple on the show per say. She also says then depending on when the series ends, she can see Tom and Lynette separating then eventually divorcing and living separate lives. She also wants the idea of Tom, being the man to get the kids as opposed to the usual Wife the woman who gets them. She loved the killing at the end of the season and found it hilarious. She doesn't seem to know who it will pan out next season.

She also sort of defends Marc Cherry's comment about a housewife not being funny and claiming it as her and she's totally ok with it.

She also says she can go for another 2 years after season 8 but all depends on the series and she also says season 7 has been one of the best so yeah.

RenatoB

[45]Jun 11, 2011
    Season 7 was indeed one of the best. Definitely the best post-time-jump season, and probably the most dramatic season since the second (which was so great for me, I was sick of them ending each dramatic scene with a punch line in season 6). I just wondered whether she meant that season 7 was great story-wise or ratings-wise. Because ratings-wise, it was the worst (I think), but Felicity said months ago that the ratings were the best they'd ever had () so I think she probably doesn't know much about that.

We also commented on this in the Nicollette Sheridan lawsuit thread. I want to believe that whatever is going on with Marc Cherry's claims is part of the longtime banter going on with the cast and crew of this show, as we've seen in DVD extras and interviews and such. It's better to think that way, even if it is somehow living in denial. Makes it easier to appreciate the show and its characters.

Zazawie

[46]Jun 13, 2011

Just to keep things going here, I checked the Emmy Sumbittion Ballot and here's a list of the actors that've submitted themselves for DH:

Lead Actor in a Comedy Series

Doug Savant

Lead Actress in a Comedy Series

Marcia Cross

Teri Hatcher

Felicity Huffman

Eva Longoria

Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series

Ricardo A. Chavira

James Denton

Kevin Rahm

Tuc Watkins

Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series

Kathryn Joosten

Vanessa Williams

Guest Actor in a Comedy Series

Brian Austin Green

Guest Actress in a Comedy Series

Harriet Sansom Harris

Nancy Travis (she played Keith's mother)

-------------------------

I don't know what Doug Savant was thinking. He had bigger dramatic material than the other males this season, but he's in the comedy category, so I don't see that being the reason.

I'm disappointed Kathryn Joosten submitted for Supporting Actress. As a Guest, she could've made it to the final 6, but she's never gonna make it as a Supporting Actress. Vanessa might have a shot thought, if she submitted the right episode.

I also expected John Schneider for the Guest Category, ah well.

Out of the 14 submittions, how many nominations do you think DH will get?

My bet: perhaps one for Vanessa Williams and maybe one for Eva, she's gotten quite some media coverage this year and she had some great comedic moments, but the Lead Actress category is already crowded, so it probably won't happen. I'm gonna have to go with zero, as sad as it is.Tongue out

Edited on 06/13/2011 8:06am

RenatoB

[47]Jun 13, 2011
    I don't think Kathryn Joosten was allowed to submit herself for the guest category. Last year she could have fooled the judges because her name was in the "also starring" credits, but this season she was a "starring" castmember, there was no way she could pass for a guest star.

I also believe Vanessa Williams might be the sole one to get a nomination.

Did you check whether Brenda Strong submitted herself for consideration in the v.o. department? I'm sure she did... but she can never win against the people who voice characters on animated shows.

Harriet deserves a nominaton too. As for Eva and Doug, their material was way too dramatic this year, so that probably doesn't give them a leg-up.

I don't think either of the supporting actors deserve a nomination this year. Not only did they not get the best of material, their acting was sometimes... kinda sub-par. Kevin Rahm was probably the best out of all of them, and the one with the most comedic stuff.

I'd like to know the episodes they submitted... is that possible?

On a side note, Felicity's husband William H. Macy deserved a nod for his work on "Shameless"... I just don't get why it was submitted for drama series when it's mostly humorous, as is his role.

Zazawie

[48]Jun 13, 2011
    ^^The list I checked only included physical appearances, so it could be Brenda Strong submitted herself. I'm curious as to which episodes they submitted too, but for some reason that's always hard to find.

Only yesterday I found out which episode of Breaking Bad Aaron Paul submitted last year (which led to his victory) in an interview on the Emmy's red carpet. They really should include such info on the submittion files as well.

Zazawie

[49]Jun 13, 2011

I searched through the other categories, here some notes:

- no episode was submitted for Art Direction, while Brothers & Sisters did. Did they give up on this, I seem to remember they were nominated for this category a few years ago? Also no submittions for hairstyling or makeup, surprising for a show filled with women.

DH also submitted for:

Outstanding Casting for a Comedy Series

Outstanding Cinematography for a Comedy Series (episode: And Lots Of Security...)

Outstanding Directing for a Comedy Series (Larry Shaw, episode: Down the Block There's A Riot)

Outstanding Directing for a Comedy Series (Jeff Greenstein, episode: Excited and Scared)

greekDH

[50]Jun 13, 2011
    • level: 4
    i also think that vanessa and harriet might have a shot at nominations and i REALLY hope that eva will get nominated. don't see it coming but i really hope. she indeed was more of a dramatic material but she had some good comedic moments as well (the craziness with the doll was a great balance between the drama end the comedy and also the whole "break up" with bree was very funny)
    what can i say, i hope they will get a nomination this year, it was a great "rebounce" season.

Arno_00

[51]Jun 19, 2011
    • level: 7
    I'm already so tired of checking the tripod and googling for info on the new season, while there's nothing new, argh. It's so hard to wait, and it's already the 20th of June, I think we should at least get the names of the new mystery characters if there'd be ones...IDK about the casting.
    Don't know about you, but I need some new info!

RenatoB

[52]Jun 19, 2011
    I've actually been away from the spoiler sites for a while... I used to check them every single day during the season, but now I've actually forgotten about that. I am more focused on improving the DH Wiki, writing that episode (I have yet to figure out how to tie all the twists together ) and, of course, study for the exams.

I'm glad I'm playing it cool this summer. Otherwise, the anxiety would kill me. I can't wait to learn some stuff, though. The thing I'm most concerned about is whether Brenda Strong and, to a lesser extent, Kevin Rahm and Tuc Watkins, will return next season. I'm also curious as to whether Susan Lucci is actually joining the cast or not.

RenatoB

[53]Jun 19, 2011
    Oh, and I'd like to know if Marc Cherry is returning as the showrunner. I'd be happier if he didn't, probably. I'm hopeful that the show will go on for 2 more seasons after the 7th, and if he sticks around as showrunner in the 8th and then passes it over to Daily or someone else in the 9th, then it wouldn't be as good. Handing over the last season is pretty lame. Almost as bad as "House, M.D." doing the last season without Lisa Edelstein.

Know what I mean? It's one thing to have Bob Daily do the last two seasons (hopefully), meaning he'd have season 8 to adjust to the position of showrunner, and he'd be fully prepared by season 9, and it's another thing to have Marc work on this baby for 8 seasons and then pass it away in the last one. That'd be awful. If Marc is still the showrunner, I'm sure Bob Daily is somewhat disappointed.

RenatoB

[54]Jun 20, 2011

Here's an article regarding the fact that Felicity Huffman will join her husband, William H. Macy, in writing a season 2 episode of "Shameless". In it, Macy appears to be a bit (though unintentional, I'm sure) condescending towards DH. Basically, it seems as though an appearance of his on DH wouldn't be special enough, but maybe she could be on his show.

RenatoB

[55]Jun 21, 2011

Arno_00, you can relax with a bit of news: first time I checked the DH Tripod in a while, and I got hit with this in bold: The show is looking for a new series regular. Ben is a ruthless, self-made contractor who can put on the charm when needed. Competition for Mike?.

I'm surprised by this. I figured that with Jonathan Cake already joining the cast, there would be no more adult male regulars. Also, considering that the last time a new castmember, male and adult, joined the cast without being related to the mystery was... never, I assume Ben might be the new mystery star. The whole part with him being able to put on a charm when needed pretty much seals the deal (Dave Williams, anyone?). Could he be... Susan Lucci's husband?

Also, it seems like it was just a few months ago that we heard of the new contractor joining the cast (Brian Austin Green as Keith)... but it was almost a year ago. This year (and TV season) really flew by.

Zazawie

[56]Jun 21, 2011

Ugh, another charming handyman. Where have I heard that before...

It's getting annoying how so many male characters are starting to become similar. Let's hope he won't be a love interest for any of the main four. They're all occupied, I don't need another Susan/Mike drama storyline like that and it'd be stupid to have Lynette date someone immediately.

About Macy, I think he just meant that if he and his wife act together, it should be something notable, not an ordinary guest spot that has no point anyway. I don't think he's being condescending of DH.

RenatoB

[57]Jun 21, 2011
    After further reading of Macy's interview, I guess what he meant to say was "If she wants to, she can do "Shameless", but I don't know what role". Nonetheless, the condescending thing is kinda the impression he gives out.

I sincerely hope Lynette doesn't start dating right away either. Although I liked Keith and his relationship with her, it was ridiculous how she started lusting after him right away. And she didn't even seem to notice him until after she learnt Orson had a girlfriend (also ridiculous, by the way).

I know this might sound silly, but it would be perfect for Rick Coletti to come back. I'd love to see Lynette straying with him. She wanted him, I can see something so sweet and sinful coming from their reunion. That would be perfect in my p.o.v., but I don't see that happening. But then again, I didn't think they were gonna bring him back for season 4, but they did (albeit for a brief period of time). But that was a long time ago, and he wasn't all that notable, so I'm not sure... but it would perfect. Rather than hooking her up with some random new guy, do it with the man that once made her think, deep down, that she wanted to be bad when she really couldn't. I really didn't want for Lynette to leave Tom to be with Rick. But now that Tom has left her, how awesome would it be for his rival to sweep her off her feet again? And, needless to say, I want Tom with Renee. And Kayla to come back and kill them all.

rentlover1

[58]Jun 21, 2011
    • level: 8
    RenatoB wrote:
    I really didn't want for Lynette to leave Tom to be with Rick. But now that Tom has left her, how awesome would it be for his rival to sweep her off her feet again? And, needless to say, I want Tom with Renee. And Kayla to come back and kill them all.

Totally agree. Especially the Kayla part. I want her back so bad! She could really do some damage.

As for the contractor, I just wish they'd come up with something else. He just screams repeat of Keith with a bit of Dave's devious (and annoying) personality thrown in. Cant he be a new kind of workman? Its too soon for another contractor so soon after Keith but odds are its for the youthful sex appeal that the show has always tried to hold on to: John Roland (Season 1 and 2), Matthew (Season 2), Austin (Season 3), Scavo twins and Jackson to an extent(Season 5), Karl (Season 6) and Keith (Season 7)- tell me if I missed any- but there is just no need for it. Also hate the suggestion that this new character could be competition for Mike. Writers the Susan and Mike love triangle thing has been done to death. Accept that they are finally married and a functional couple and move on! lol.

Zazawie

[59]Jun 22, 2011

Yeah, I'd prefer Rick over some new love interest for Lynette. It'd be kind of stretch, him returning after everything that happened in S4, but stranger things have happened on this show, so it could happen.

But again, not from the very start of the season. If Lynette will have another guy, it'd be best if he showed up 'round episode 10 or so. That way we can still see enough of Lynette adjusting to her new life and this new guy could be the hero of the disaster, making Lynette fall for him.Laughing

They should really start spreading out banners:

Annual disaster on Wisteria Lane, fabulous prices, including a romantic five-week stay with one of our loveliest housewives! (*chances of being killed, admission on one's own responsibility. Hospital bills are for own account).

Edited on 06/22/2011 12:14am
    Edited 2 total times.

RenatoB

[60]Jun 22, 2011
    Zazawie wrote:

They should really start spreading out banners:

Annual disaster on Wisteria Lane, fabulous prices, including a romantic five-week stay with one of our loveliest housewives! (*chances of being killed, admission on one's own responsibility. Hospital bills are for own account).

Had to laugh at this.

However, even though I don't want Lynette to hook up with someone else right away like Bree did, maybe episode 10 would be too late, I don't know... I guess if things were spread around nicely.

I mean, there's all sorts of stuff to be done now. I honestly can't picture much of anything going on in the season premiere aside from the ladies and Carlos disposing of Alejandro's body. The following episodes would also revolve somewhat around that, their guilt, their change of heart, Susan accidentally telling everyone in a ten-block radius what happened (which is definitely going to happen because she's Susan), and, of course, Tom and Lynette have to break the news to the kids, which takes a toll on them, particularly Penny, and they could also squabble about how Lynette doesn't want any of Tom's big bucks when they get divorced because those big bucks are what ruined their relationship. So I guess if things are spanned out well enough, the new guy/Rick could be brought in only well into the season. But I'd love for the first episode to end with Tom at least kissing Renee. That'd be perfect. It would be a much better payoff to their story this last season than laxatives in the brownies.