Desperate Housewives Forums

ABC (ended 2012)

What are your thoughts about the Lynette/Tom separation?

Desperate-Fan

[1]Feb 12, 2012
    • level: 4

I was just wondering what everyone's thoughts and opinions were on the Lynette and Tom separation.

I've been a huge fan of Lynette and Tom since the very beginning of the show. I was so disappointed when the writers decided to break them apart. One thing that has annoyed me is how "easily" they gave up given everything they've been put through before, it's like the writers havecompletelyforgotten about what they've had to deal with before.

I find itunbelievable how quickly Tom got a girlfriend, the writers really annoyed me there and I really think it's unrealistic, he and Lynette were together for 20+ years and all of a sudden he got a serious girlfriend.

I would have much rather the writers split up Susan or Mike, or even Gaby or Carlos. It's a shame that they've now made all the couples split, Lynette and Tom's stable relationship was refreshing amongst all thedivorcesand affairs etc.

I honestly haven't been able to enjoy this season as much as I would have liked too because of the separation, it's really ruined the final season for me. I know quite a few fans who have stopped watching all together because of this storyline.

I also really miss seeing Felicity and Doug on screen together frequently, their chemistry is amazing and I really miss it. They've said so many times before that they want Lynette and Tom back together and they hate the storyline. I read that Marc Cherry said how "accepting" the fans were of this storyline. What fans has he been talking to? Probably 90% of the people I've spoken to hate this storyline and I've read a lot of people's opinions on it online and they think the same.

What are your views on it?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

mariana064

[2]Feb 12, 2012
    • level: 6

I dont like it. I admit Lynette wasnt being the best wife at the end of the relationship but it doesnt justify the decision. They have been through so much and they have a really small baby so i cant help feel its selfish.

RenatoB

[3]Feb 12, 2012
    • level: 43
    Desperate-Fan, I'll go through each of your paragraphs:

I'll agree that, compared to so much stuff they've been through that would break any couple apart, it's a bit ridiculous how they're broken up now because of what happened at the end of season 7. Add to that the fact that they had actually had a pretty tame season up to that point (excluding Renee's revelation of having slept with Tom, which kinda went nowhere). Everything was fine and dandy, and then the writers throw in a "let's break them up" storyline. It seems contrived, but to me it worked, because the writing was actually sharp, I loved their dialogue, and then also it doesn't hurt to have two amazing actors playing it out. Felicity is the best actress of the cast, and Doug is the best actor of the cast. Everything they do together or alone is gold. And they made this story work (to me, anyway) because of their great dynamic. Their scenes in the last few episodes of season 7 were pretty damn good. One could argue that this thing, brought up by Tom's new career, was the straw that broke the camel's back. They went through so much, everything piling up, and it amounted to this: the break-up, at last. And it's kind of a perfect story for them because it goes back to the very core of their purpose on the show, one of reflecting the difficult balance between professional and family lives. It goes back to Lynette being pushy and controlling, and to Tom being a whiney, ungrateful dead fly, who bitches to his wife about not being successful enough, and then bitches about her when she pushes him to succeed. It's happened before.

As for the girlfriend, yes, it was fast, it was convenient, but they had to do something with this storyline, didn't they? I mean, it got old fast, with episode 8.02 being a bore in the Scavo department and showing us that the new storyline wasn't exactly bringing anything new. They were still just fighting a lot, and each one blaming the ohter. So the girlfriend was a nice move, and I like the twist that Jane is actually a good person, she didn't set out to break anyone up, which is refreshing. I enjoy that story a lot for its juiciness. It hurts me to not see Tom with Lynette, but I appreciate the drama and comedy that ensue.

Seriously? Splitting up Mike and Susan, or Gabrielle and Carlos, again? If Mike and Susan broke up one more time, I'd lose my fricking mind. Their entire thing in seasons 1-3, and then again in season 5, was their on-again/off-again relationship. Let them enjoy some married bliss! XP It was refreshing that Tom and Lynette always survived everything together, which means that it is also refreshing (in the Scavo forum) that they're broken up.

I haven't enjoyed the story as much as I thought I would either, but that's mostly because of Lynette's "guilt". The hell? She continually blames herself for the dissolution of her marriage, her sister and best friends acknowledge that, Jane and Tom say the same thing... what the hell? Lynette's to blame? For caring for a 45-year-old man-child who bitched for a living? For trying to help him succeed when he kept whining about never amounting to anything? Grow a pair, Tom, and lay off Lynette, everyone (including Lynette)! It just pisses me off that they're continually turning her into a nagging shrew. And then every fricking episode she sits down and has a heartfelt talk with a loved one about how she realizes that she pushed Tom away, and then the very next episode she acts like a controlling bitch again and learns the lesson again only to forget about it the very next week. The writers have kind of ruined her character this season. This isn't the Lynette I remember. One that beats herself over the head for matters that aren't really her fault. It's sickening me. She's got no self-respect this season.

I won't argue with missing Felicity and Doug together, God knows I do, but how can you say they hate this storyline? What are your sources? Cos everything I've seen/read of them states the complete opposite: they love this story! They've been pitching it since season three. They miss each other, granted, but they love playing out this story, they've said that several times already! And the fans, well, some enjoy it (I could name a few people from the wiki), and some hate it, and some are just down for the ride, like me, waiting to see where it all leads. I'll be disappointed, saddened, if the show ends and they're not together. I'll give you that. I'm a Tom/Lynette shipper too.

Desperate-Fan

[4]Feb 12, 2012
    • level: 4

I don't have time to write a full response now, I'm a little busy right now, I will tomorrow hopefully, but regarding Felicity and Doug not liking the split, they said recently at the ABC Winter Press Tour in January, I've listened to a few radio interviews recently with Felicity and she said she doesn't like it, plus she tweets all the time how much she misses Lynette and Tom together!

Mattsterzz

[5]Feb 12, 2012
    • level: 7
    I dont mind them separating, but they are going way to fast. Serious, in the first episode, Tom is all for getting back together, then three episodes later he's going out with someone! If he got a girlfriend a couple of episodes ago, then that would be fine. I wish they did a couple of episodes of the kids reactions to the separation.

ruthiecute

[6]Feb 21, 2012
    • level: 1
    I ABSOLUTELY AGREE WITH desperate-fan 100%...it completely SUCKS THAT Lynette and Tom are seperated and it I think its RUINED THE entire show by Tom moving on so quickly. Its added cheapness to their relationship, that two very loving, loyal people never had at all before this. They had been through so much together, and I will be DESPERATELY SADDENED if they don't get them back together by the end of the season! I am ONLY STILL watching at this point, to see if they do get back together because it bothers me that much. I think they have ruined desperate housewives utterly and completely if they don't at least have the them back together by the end of the show. I am extremely disappointed and I would rather see signs of it happening sooner than later! Yeah, Lynette made mistakes and was overbearing and controlling at times - but Tom made a lot of mistakes too - it was both of them and both of them need to fix themselves. I hope they do or I will be really shocked at this blunder of a mistake that Marc Sherry has made and never watch anything he writes ever again....I always find it funny when I read the odd person who is happy to see them broken up...it makes me wonder if they also can't commit to a long term relationship and run away at the slightest sign of problems in their own lives? Tom & Lynettes relationship was realistic...all couples encounter problems through out many years being together...but the ones that truly love each other and are committed find a way of making it work. I really thought Tom & Lynette were that kind of couple...very sad.

shenbrat

[7]Feb 21, 2012
    • level: 8
    I never liked the Lynette and Tom relationship because it has always bothered me that:
    1. Lynette almost always has to do the heavy lifting, makes almost all the sacrifices and puts so much more into the relationship than Tom does.
    2. Tom almost always gets his way.
    3. In spite of number 2 he acts like he's a victim of big bad Lynette who never lets him do what he wants.

RenatoB

[8]Feb 21, 2012
    shenbrat wrote:
    I never liked the Lynette and Tom relationship because it has always bothered me that:
    1. Lynette almost always has to do the heavy lifting, makes almost all the sacrifices and puts so much more into the relationship than Tom does.
    3. In spite of number 2 he acts like he's a victim of big bad Lynette who never lets him do what he wants.

The odd thing about this is how I absolutely agree with shenbrat, and yet I always loved Lynette and Tom together. Always.

stellarchick86

[9]Feb 21, 2012
    • level: 32
    RenatoB wrote:
    shenbrat wrote:

The odd thing about this is how I absolutely agree with shenbrat, and yet I always loved Lynette and Tom together. Always.

Completely agree LOL Though I dont mind them separated as long as we dont get too many scenes of Lynette moping about it. If they are separated yet they have their own SLs, then I dont mind it.

shenbrat

[10]Feb 22, 2012
    • level: 8
    I'm bothered by the timing of when Tom decided he wanted out. Lynette stood by him for years and was his rock while he chased flights of fancy and rose to the top. She supported him, she took care of business for him, she was his bad cop so he could be the good cop. So now the bossy control freak part of her personality that drove her to take charge of what he didn't even really want to is all sorts of wrong now that he's where he wants to be but not when she helped him along the way to get there?

No realizing or appreciation it could have just as easily fell into Lynette's lap if she came back to her old job and she was the one discovered.

mobbs456

[11]Mar 7, 2012
    • level: 16

Although I appreciate people's views, am I the only person who thinks they should not get back together by the end?

In almost every TV Scenario a divorced couple works it out and ends up happy ever after. But real life isn't like that sadly.

I think it would be more realistic for Tom and Lynette to stay seperated and create new lives for themselves. The writers could even have the pair become really good friends with a hint about a future reconciliation.

I'm not trying to b negative - I just think the pair reuniting will be an overdone cliché.

Smile

RenatoB

[12]Mar 7, 2012
    I agree, I wanted them to get back together during the first half of the season, but during the second half I grew used to the idea of them being apart, and I honestly can no longer picture them together anymore. It'd feel weird somehow. Like they'd be... settling. I don't think they can work out as a couple anymore, the minute they bickered again (and it would be early on), they'd regret it.

eimajamie

[13]Mar 19, 2012
    • level: 9

After 22(?) years I really want them to work things out, but I want it to be a believable reconciliation. At the moment I dont see realistically how that is going to happen, but well see I guess. Also, I hate Jane, most of her actions have been reasonable, but at Pennys Birthday party is when I really started to dislike that woman.

stellarchick86

[14]Mar 22, 2012
    • level: 32

I dont care much either way (meaning I wont lose sleep over it) but Id also like for T/L to not get back together. I dont really see much of anything that Jane has done wrong and just because Lynette hasnt moved on doesnt mean Tom should get back together with her just because she wants to. Its up to him. Just like if the roles were reversed, it would be up to Lynette. Im assuming that they will get back together; however, since Lynette hasnt moved on to anyone else and because their SL wouldve been a waste