Desperate Housewives Forums

ABC (ended 2012)

What If?

evafan2005

[1]Jul 11, 2012
    • level: 18

So I thought we could have a discussion regarding various things/stories about the show, and what could have happened if they played out differently. We all know there's been dropped storylines for various reasons, but what if those behind the scenes issues never went down? Let's talk about how things could have gone down.

I'll start with the most obvious: Edie's death. Had she not died in season 5, what would have become of her character? I think it would have been interesting if perhaps she had been a victim of the Fairview Strangler (though not murdered) or if she and Gabby had teamed up together to find out Angie's secrets. And then in season 7 she could have had Lee's role in Paul's story (with some minor tweaks), thus putting her in the position of neighborhood pariah yet again before making up with the girls, this time for good. This could be accomplished by helping her cover up the Alejandro murder. Season 8 she could have had Renee's story, getting her happy ending by marrying Ben.

And if Edie had stuck around, I'm assuming Renee would have never existed.

What do you guys think would have happened with Edie had she stuck around for seasons 6-8?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

RenatoB

[2]Jul 12, 2012
    • level: 43
    Moo.

RenatoB

[3]Jul 12, 2012
    Finally!! I fricking hate TV.com!! I wrote a reply here last night and couldn't post it, it kept showing me this "Access Denied" message. I even tried PMing to evafan, and the same thing happened!

RenatoB

[4]Jul 12, 2012
    Ok, nevermind... I still can't post that message.

No1Slayerette

[5]Jul 12, 2012
    • level: 9

evafan2005 wrote:
    I think it would have been interesting if perhaps she had been a victim of the Fairview Strangler (though not murdered) or if she and Gabby had teamed up together to find out Angie's secrets. And then in season 7 she could have had Lee's role in Paul's story (with some minor tweaks), thus putting her in the position of neighborhood pariah yet again before making up with the girls, this time for good. This could be accomplished by helping her cover up the Alejandro murder. Season 8 she could have had Renee's story, getting her happy ending by marrying Ben.

And if Edie had stuck around, I'm assuming Renee would have never existed.

What do you guys think would have happened with Edie had she stuck around for seasons 6-8?

She could have easily been used in later seasons, in all the roles you mentioned, but after she left at the end of season four and came back with Dave in season five... she just wasn't the same, or maybe I stopped loving her as much when she was with Carlos towards the end of season three. Regardless, her character became more and more a shadow of herself at the show went on in my opinion. I loved Renee a lot when they introduced her because it reminded me so much of Edie back at the beginning of the show, and a little of Gaby too.

RenatoB

[6]Jul 16, 2012
    What if Kathryn Joosten had been promised not to get killed off on the show? I think she'd prolly have died around ss 3-4.

RenatoB

[7]Jul 16, 2012
    Now why the hell can't I post the message I wrote at first? TV.com is so screwed up...

Daniel777C

[8]Jul 17, 2012
    • level: 31
    The thing about Edie was that her character was such a troublemaker, the only thing you could do at the end of the season was get rid of her. This was literally true for season 2 where she wasn't even in the 2-part finale, season 3 where they had Edie leave a suicide note and hang herself, season 4 where she was chased out of town for good and season 5 where she actually died.

Although it would have been interesting to see Edie get in trouble in season 7 for letting Paul move back to the Lane and rather than making up with the girls hopefully this would have led to a much more juicy ending - her death obviously, which would be the main mystery for season 8. A "Who killed Edie?" even.

To be honest, when they killed her off in season 5 I was already getting bored with her, but the way they handled her death was shockingly bad. There was no mystery, and beyond one episode it was as if she'd never existed. Such a waste. Perhaps if they'd made a bigger storyline out of it, Nicollette wouldn't have had such a compelling case that she was killed off for other than creative reasons.

Daniel777C

[9]Jul 17, 2012
    Oh man, the more I think about it the more I love my "Who killed Edie?" idea.

Presumably she would have pissed Lynette off in season 7 by sleeping with Tom.

Daniel777C

[10]Jul 17, 2012

Oh God, I'm having more flashes of brilliance. Right, imagine Edie begin alive in season 7. Let's not kid ourselves, she would have teamed up with Paul to take down everyone else. But then Felicia would turn up, and it would be an incredible moment when Edie realized Paul killed her friend Martha and then turned on him, or turned him in rather - making him just another suspect in the "Who killed Edie?" mystery.

Edited on 07/17/2012 7:09am

Edie70

[11]Jul 17, 2012
    • level: 19
    I like your ideas but these writers would never come up with such stories. Because they actually require using your mind for longer than a few minutes.

mully

[12]Jul 17, 2012
    • level: 6

I like those Edie ideas for season 7 a lot. I wonder what they would have done with her in season 6 though? I guess she could have caused trouble for Susan instead of Katherine, but then what would they have done with Katherine? I think we all know a huge part of Desperate Housewives' problem is that unless a character was one of the main 4 women, the writers didn't really know what to do with them aside from either slap them into a mystery, let them languish in some fluffy story line, or just get rid of them.

Speaking of Katherine, another good "what if" would be what if Dana Delany had never left the show? What would they have done with her? I seriously doubt her rather uninspired official ending as a reformed-lesbian, frozen pastry mogul would have ever happened.

Edited on 07/17/2012 3:25pm
    Edited 2 total times.

Daniel777C

[13]Jul 17, 2012
    "Reformed-lesbian, frozen pastry mogul."
    Good God, that makes me sympathize with those who gave up on the show years ago.

Honestly, I don't like to think about Katherine's storylines for seasons 7 and 8, having her hook up with the other most boring character on the show (Mike) and then be sent off to the looney bin only to suddenly become a lesbian was bad enough. As much as I love Dana, they should have written Katherine out during the time-jump. She had far less potential than, say, Angie or even Alma freakin' Hodge.

mully

[14]Jul 17, 2012

Yeah, they really did kill off/write out some great characters like the ones you mentioned. Some others that were wasted were Felicia in season 7 (that "death" was ridiculous for such an awesome character), Orson (Man, they really did butcher him at the end there, huh? I think I'd have rather seen him die in the plane crash honestly), Renee (because let's be real here, she didn't really ever do anything memorable or interesting like Edie did) and Betty Applewhite, who although underused and miswritten in her original arc, was an amazingly mysterious and interesting character and could have easily become a recurring villain on the show beyond her original run with just a little bit of writing creativity.

Edited on 07/17/2012 4:45pm
    Edited 3 total times.

Edie70

[15]Jul 18, 2012
    • level: 19

Dear Lord, looking back at the show now that it's over I see so many wasted opportunities and creative ways of bringing somebody back / getting rid of them. It almost makes me angry thinking about what could have been. I would probably hook up Katherine with Paul after Beth's death (had she never left on her lesbian trip to Paris) and let them live on Wisteria Lane together ... starting a new life for them and I'd enjoy seeing two older people with tough life experiences starting over. What I missed about classic DH in the last 4 years of the show were simple family situations with no soap & sitcomish tones and freaky storylines. The show became too campy and reality was nowhere to be found in there.

P.S. What if Bree's trial had a more realistic solution than McCluskey taking the blame and being spared because of her poor health condition?

Edited on 07/18/2012 5:11pm

RenatoB

[16]Jul 18, 2012
    My biggest beef with the show are the poor mysteries in seasons 5-7. Each of them terrible. The mystery in season 5 was not all that surprising, a lot of people (me excluded, however) had already guessed that Dave was related to the woman and daughter killed in the car crash. Also, I think solving the mystery for the viewers before doing so for the characters was a bad move. I like finding out as the characters find out. What happened was the mystery was solved in 10 episodes, and the writers tried to make a mystery out of what Dave would do next, which did not pay off. It took them 4 episodes to go on a camping trip which was supposed to take a place a few days from when it was first mentioned. And those 4 episodes were spread across 2-3 months due to all the breaks. That was annoying. And it took them 14 episodes to actually end the storyline, and as intense as it was - it actually was - it still had a rather predictable ending and a death toll of zero, which is always disappointing. I likes the carnage.

The mystery for season 6 started out amazing. Actually, two mysteries, which was refreshing. By episode 8, however, I had already figured out Eddie was a strangler, but I still think the writers were doing a somewhat nice job of that, making a character who was always there but never in the spotlight turn out to be a killer was somewhat ingenious. But, they dropped the strangler thing for like 7 episodes straight, and when they brought back the storyline it was suddenly full-on: the strangler was revealed in the same episode the story came back in, after a long gap. And as much as I love "Epiphany", it's somewhat ridiculous the idea of Eddie having been so notable in the ladies' lives when he had only actually interacted with Lynette on-screen... in the episode prior to that one. And he fell for Susan. The twist of him wanting to kill Susan, to me, was perfect. I did not see that coming before that episode, it really surprised and delighted me, and was one of the most shocking things for me in seasons 5-7. A very simple twist that worked beautifully. But then the payoff didn't pay off, because they made it so sugary-sweet with him delivering a kid and being redeemed, and the fact that he strangled Julie never even coming up. They could had bothered to mention her in the finale. And after that. I mean, Susan never brings up the fact that her daughter's attacker has been revealed? Stupid. As for Mrs. Bolen, the first 10 episodes were fantastic, and I loved the idea that she had actually killed someone. And then in "If...", the name Patrick Logan comes up, and I see the story headed down the "psycho ex" path again, and I'm annoyed. Besides, as the season went along, Drea de Matteo's acting just annoyed me more and more, and the eco factor of all of it, the eco-terrorism, that was just lame. Patrick Logan is also the worst-written character on DH, ever. The detonator thingy was good too, but ultimately the climax was also nothing to write home about. No twist to the mystery whatsoever, and no flashbacks of the original explosion. Cheap much, ABC?

Season 7... I needn't go over this, it had no mystery. The house thing was pretty great, if you don't think about it too much and realize how unrealistic it is. Felicia's alliance with Mike led nowhere. Beth's secret was expected. And Felicia's plan, while fun to watch, also kinda meh. I still loved having those two back, though, and Beth was my favorite new character in season 7. I actually loved season 7 a lot the first time around, it was all-aroung pretty great.

The problem with the show after the time jump is Marc Cherry ran out of mystery ideas and the mystery is a very - or was - big part of the show. Making a mystery out of what the characters are gonna do next is stupid. I wonder what shenanigans Susan and Gaby will be up to in the following episodes. That's not a mystery, though. It's just an ongoing storyline because this was a serial soap. Will Dave kill MJ? Not a mystery. That's the same as 'Will Bree continue to try and keep Charlie from Keith?'. Who is Dave after? That is a mystery. One that was wasted and not well thought out.

RenatoB

[17]Jul 18, 2012
    I got off track, though, this is a "What if...?" thread. Sorry.

Anyway, what if Carlos hadn't made it past season 1? I'm sure most of us didn't want him back. He was a douche that season, not nearly as funny and charming as in the later years. I often wonder why they brought him back after season 1, and then again after season 2, following his affair... what if Carlos hadn't come back? Would Gabrielle really be like Elizabeth Taylor and marry 10+ men over the course of the show?

mully

[18]Jul 18, 2012
    Another good "What if...?" that probably would have changed a major dynamic on the show as a whole would be what if Rex hadn't died? It seemed by the end of season 1 that he and Bree were going to work things out and reconcile their marriage. That would have called for a completely different 8-year path for Bree. Orson would never have happened, nor would have any of the other men she was involved with. Andrew and Danielle's rebellious behaviors that spiraled out of control after Rex's death might not have escalated like they did since they would have had a father figure at home. Also, would Bree have developed a problem with alcohol if Rex had lived? A lot of things might have ended up completely different had it not been for the death of this seemingly minor character. Pretty interesting to think about.

Daniel777C

[19]Jul 18, 2012

I'm actually alright with Rex dying. I couldn't possibly imagine Bree in season 2 any other way than exactly the way she was. Changing Rex's tie mid-funeral, slapping her grieving mother-in-law, shooting at George from the window, letting George die, battling alcoholism, dropping Andrew off in the middle of nowhere and saving Danielle from her killer boyfriend. Season 2 was a great one for Bree.

Edited on 07/18/2012 4:38pm

RenatoB

[20]Jul 19, 2012
    I don't see Rex as a minor character at all, he is arguably the most important seasonal character of the series, one of the deceased characters that's mentioned the most and whose death impacted the series the most. And one of the former regulars who came back the most as well. Rex's death was handled extremely well, it actually had a lot of ramifications over the course of the show. Edie's, not so much. Mama's death was more important than Edie's. That's saying something.

Well, all in all, the season 1 deaths (Mary Alice's, Martha's, Mama's, Rex's) are the most important, the ones with the biggest ramifications. From then on, it was pretty much crash! kill! destroy! for ratings sake. I can't complain much though cos I love people dying on-screen. Makes for good TV, usually. Usually. Chuck's didn't. Cupcake's death was better than Chuck's.