Desperate Housewives Forums

ABC (ended 2012)

What If?

mully

[21]Jul 19, 2012
    • level: 6

You're definitely right about Rex's impact on the series. I guess I considered him minor because he didn't have a whole ton of screen time and then at the end of season 1, BOOM, dead. We really didn't learn much about him aside from the fact that he was a sex freak and that he was more often than not kinda jerkish. Guess we know where Andrew got that trait from, huh? I guess the same could be said for Martha and even Mary Alice since we barely got to know them either, so my observation about Rex being "minor" was kind of off-base.

So yeah, how bout this one: what if they had went through with their early draft idea for season 5 and had killed off Susan? How would THAT have affected the show -- one of the main 4 women dying -- especially the one that was arguably considered "the star" during season one?

Edited on 07/19/2012 7:07am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Edie70

[22]Jul 19, 2012
    • level: 19
    This would never happen. They were very protective of the main four ladies. I was hopin' they'd at least kill one of them in the final episode.

mully

[23]Jul 19, 2012
    We know from the trial though that they at least discussed it. Of course they never had the balls to do something like that, but it would have been CRAZY if they had.

evafan2005

[24]Jul 19, 2012
    • level: 18

Besides, this is a "What if?" thread, so we can totally discuss what we think would happen. I think Mike would have married Katherine and they would have left the Lane at the end of S5, and somebody new would have moved into Susan's house (maybe Jennifer would have shown up early)

What if Edie had been Mary Alice's blackmailer like originally planned?

Edie70

[25]Jul 19, 2012
    Then Edie's sister would arrive and investigate her murder

Daniel777C

[26]Jul 20, 2012
    • level: 31
    Edie70 wrote:
    Then Edie's sister would arrive and investigate her murder

Ah, that's probably exactly what would have happened. Edie did mention having a sister in season 3.

But who would play her? Kim Cattrall? Well, in my head.
    But rather than being a Samantha clone, she could have been very prim and Conservative and given Bree a run for her money way before Katherine did.

RenatoB

[27]Jul 20, 2012
    • level: 43
    If Edie were the blackmailer - which I don't think was to be the case, was it? I mean, Marc always intended for Christine to die during sweeps, and she needed a reason to be whacked - then she probably would had died sometime during season one, and would had never been a regular. For some reason, even though those four main ladies carry the show, I can't stand the idea of there ever having been a season with just the four of them and Mary Alice as star housewives. There have been 13 episodes with only those five gals in star billing over the course of the series, and no season with just them, and I am grateful for that, the outsider housewife is somehow extremely needed, the show would suffer without the vixens and token black 'wives.

One of the things I often imagine is perhaps the most obvious one, what if the time jump had never occurred, and season 5 followed the forth with the original Scavo kids, yadda yadda... The time jump didn't work out that well, but it was actually still one of the best things the show did. Because it gave us Juanita Solis. We should all praise the heavens for that. I love you, Juanita, armpit farts and all. And what if they hadn't gotten rid of the older kids? When I first read of the time jump, I thought it was gonna be used to keep Julie and Danielle around, for example, skipping their years of college. But they were both dropped as regulars for season 5, which shocked me. Also, did anyone else have trouble even coming to this forum lately? I came here over the last two days to find nothing.

No1Slayerette

[28]Jul 22, 2012
    • level: 9

I always found the time jump to be extremely unnecessary and more of a writing stunt. In reality, all the major storylines that occurred after season four, with the exclusion of the Dave storyline perhaps, would have been able tohappen regardless of whether the time jump occurred or not.

I really think they wasted the opportunity to do more with the kids, especially because of the time jump. Julie, Andrew & Danielle could have had heaps of storylines/ character development if it hadn't occurred. Plus if they had introduced Austin a little later, and Danny and Ana a little earlier they would have had plenty of characters of a similar age to interact with, creating plenty of storylines. But the time jump ensured that they skipped that age group for all of these characters, and that by the time Season 5 started they had all left and gotten boring.

I would have loved if Susan died, but that being said, they would have probably tried to replace her with Katherine, and I would have hated that.

Yeah, I had some trouble, all the forums were empty, seemed to be fixed now though.

RenatoB

[29]Jul 22, 2012
    Susan is my favorite and always has been, so no way in hell I am pro-Susan dying. But even if she wasn't, can't we all agree that it's kind of amazing and great that the series had 8 major stars (Susan, Lynette, Bree, Gabrielle, Mary Alice, Mike, Carlos, Tom) for the whole of its run? Yeah, Doug wasn't a regular in season 1, but he was there since the pilot, and Brenda made it through with a very limited role. Eva Longoria became a star and never quit her job, the five core ladies were always there (used to be 6, but, well...). I love all the ladies, but three of them have pissed me off extremely at some points in the show, but I wouldn't have it without all four of them. Anyway, I dunno if I said this here before because I was unable to post my original reply (access denied... go figure why), but what if Edie had stayed on the show? Do you think she'd have her own futuristic segment at the end of 8.23? Do you guys think Marc Cherry ever factored Edie into the finale when he had that idea in his backpocket for all those years?

Edie70

[30]Jul 22, 2012
    That's a really good question. But I don't think so. She would probably just marry someone and wouldn't be shown again - much like Renee's role. I honestly doubt that Cherry honored and appreciated Edie very much. He never really treated her like one of the main characters. She was just a middle-aged slut to him.

mully

[31]Jul 23, 2012
    Yeah, I see Edie's future and role in the finale (and probably final season as well) playing very similar to Renee's had she not died. You'd see Ben or whoever come to the lane and initially be one of her usual conquests, yet over the course of the season, she would soften up some, truly fall in love with him, and end up with Renee's wedding in the finale, which would have been a fine way to end her for me because she would have come full circle. As for the Susan dying thing, I wouldn't have *loved* it exactly, but it definitely would have shaken the show up to a huge degree. The same could have been said for any of the 4 mains dying though. I do feel like the reason they never did it (even though it was apparently discussed) is because it would have been SO risky to kill any of them; doing so would have had a huge chance of killing the show in turn.

tvtome_xena321

[32]Jul 29, 2012
    • level: 27

If Edie never died, Katherine would of left earlier, I cant see them having seven housewives in season 6, with Angie arriving, too many. No idea what Edie's storylines would of been in season 6, 7 or 8, but season 8 she would marry Ben.

Bree's kids deserved more importance, I didn't like how they married got her with a new guy so close to the end, I'd rather she just stayed single, and they used Danielle and Andrew more in the final season. Same with Zach and Julie. Another thing that could of happened if they simply don't kill off Rex, but split Lynette and Tom up at the end of season 1 as they planned. Rex feels so minor, but I kinda wanted him to be fleshed out more, so maybe he could of survived a bit longer, but for that to happen, he does get the surgery and recovers.

I think Edie would of had good material for season 7 with the Paul and Felicia feud, finally learning who killed Martha. Infact it would of made more sense than that silly Karen/Felicia join-up.

Edited on 07/29/2012 9:32pm

Mattsterzz

[33]Jul 29, 2012
    • level: 7
    I would have liked to see Katherine and Paul interact, and if, like planned Paul came back in S6, Paul and Katherine could hook up like Dennis said. I could see Paul and Katherine being good together, since they've could share what its like to kill, and burying people, and lie. Now that I think of it, I would LOVE Katherine and Paul being together.

RenatoB

[34]Jul 30, 2012
    I don't see that pairing working out...