Desperate Housewives Forums

ABC (ended 2012)

What's next for the cast?

Edie70

[21]Jun 4, 2012
    • level: 19

Teri Hatcher - #PROMO for Jane by Design

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Edie70

[22]Jun 5, 2012

Brenda Strong Goes From 'Housewives' Guest to 'Dallas' Regular

I'm a big fan of fabulous ladies. Who isn't? Well, Menonites, for one. And the Amish, except in that movie "For Richer or Poorer" with Kirstie Alley and Tim Allen. But I digress.

You know who is undisputedly 100 percent fabulous and also 100 percent a lady? Brenda Strong. Strong is a fantastic actor that you probably know from "Desperate Housewives." She played Mary Alice Young, the woman who (spoiler alert if you live in the year 2002) killed herself in the pilot episode and then went on to narrate every single episode that followed, with only two exceptions when other characters narrated. Over the course of nine seasons, Strong's voice became one of the most familiar on television.

And now, she's back in another deliciously sexy, suspenseful, and fantastic new series on TNT, "Dallas." "Dallas" picks up where the super popular 1980's series left off, a couple decades later.

I recently got to talk with Strong, and it took everything in me to keep myself from asking her to say, "Yes. Sometimes on Wisteria Lane. Things are not... what they seem." I am happy to report I didn't and refrained from revealing myself as too much of a super fan.

On "Dallas," Strong plays Ann Ewing, Bobby Ewing's (Patrick Duffy) new wife. "The writers have made Ann a lot more than a typical Texas wife, she's elegant but tough," Strong told me. "She's comfortable hosting fundraiser dinners just as much as she's fine riding horseback with her shotgun. She's a slew of opposites."

When I found out that she graduated from Arizona State with a degree in musical theater, I got really excited and asked her to tell me all about her training.

"I moved to New York after I graduated to audition for summer stock" she said, "and while there, I had an epiphany. The people headlining on Broadway were from television and movies. And I had a bit of a reality check with who I was and what I look like... no one is going to cast a six-foot woman in the chorus. It would have been too much of a distraction."

It was in New York that she made the decision to head out West and give television and film a try. Once in L.A., she started booking guest spots on shows like "St. Elsewhere" and "Cheers" and slowly but surely started to build up her resume.

She talked openly about how hard it is to be a guest star on a show, as opposed to a series regular. "I have such respect for guest actors," Strong said. "They don't know all the characters as deeply as the regulars and the cast isn't your family, so you have more at stake."

I know that anytime I do a guest spot, I pretty much spend 90 percent of the time wondering when I'm going to get fired (and the other 10 percent eating the free food).

She talks humbly and honestly about getting to where she is today, and when I asked her what advice she has for young actors starting out, her words were some of the best I've ever heard on the subject.

"In a strange way, I represent tenacity and the long climb that so many people make," she says. "There are a lot of people who dream of overnight success, of being Brad Pitt getting discovered for 'Thelma and Louise,' but that doesn't always happen. I represent that stick to it-ness that it takes to build a career over time, guest spot by guest spot. Looking back from here, I wouldn't have wanted the journey to go any other way."

I, for one, find myself getting bummed out when I think I'm not doing enough or not "achieving" enough, and so much of that comes from watching the success of others and wondering, "Why not me? What does Jim Parsons have that I don't have?" (Well, for one, an Emmy and probably a nice house.) But a wonderful actress like Strong really makes you remember that you're you and that is enough.

"Your journey is uniquely yours." she told me.

And something about Strong, that "tenacity" she spoke of reminds me that my journey IS my journey. Even if some days it seems a little off course, it takes us where we're supposed to be. So why not enjoy it? Who knows? You might just end up being TV married to Patrick Duffy someday too.

"Dallas" premieres on Wednesday, June 13 on TNT at 9/8c.

Edited on 06/05/2012 5:29am

RenatoB

[23]Jun 5, 2012
    • level: 43
    Lovely interview. I have nothing but respect and admiration for that Lady (yes, with the capital L). I am going to tune in to the pilot of Dallas. I'm not always a big fan of spin-offs and whatever (though I watched all of Angel and some of Private Practice, and that God-awful, extremely annoying The Cleveland Show), and certainly hope DH never gets one, I have to watch this one, I mean, so many DH actors in its cast. I also wanna check out Jane by Design, though I'm touchy on that one cos I never saw it before (it's premiering soon enough in my country, ads already started running), and, honestly, it seems like the kind of show which is charming, but uneventful. As in, nothing happens death toll-wise.

Edie70

[24]Jun 5, 2012
    "Jane by Design" is more of a girlie teenage show for young ladies with ambition. But I'm sure Teri's character is gonna be a hoot. As for ''Dallas'' - I am going to check it out. Love these types of shows with pretty and rich people and a long family history of secrets just like on ''Revenge''. Looking forward to seeing Brenda in her interesting role of Ann Ewing.

Edie70

[25]Jun 5, 2012
    I hope there will be a ''Knots Landing'' revival (maybe even on TNT if ''Dallas'' proves to be a huge success) and I know that Nicollette would be on board. After all, Knots was a Dallas spin-off (that at some point got higher ratings than the original).

RenatoB

[26]Jun 5, 2012
    • level: 43
    So, do you guys recommend "Revenge", now that it's ended? I think there was a blood bath of sorts, no? I saw something (maybe here, on TV.com) but didn't read through, just in case I might check it out.

MoHasanie

[27]Jun 5, 2012
    • level: 2
    Yeah, Revenge is great, and I loved the season finale! It gave me the same feeling that some of the earlier season finale's of DH gave. The creator, Mike Kelly really knows how to write, and I'm really hoping he doesn't make the same mistake Marc Cherry did, by not planning the second season's story properly from before.

Edie70

[28]Jun 5, 2012

RenatoB wrote:
    So, do you guys recommend "Revenge", now that it's ended? I think there was a blood bath of sorts, no? I saw something (maybe here, on TV.com) but didn't read through, just in case I might check it out.
    Yes, I do recommend it now that the season finale has aired. Mike Kelley is an amazing creator / writer and he has every little detail mapped out and everything precisely planned to the last scene. The season finale was amazingly mind blowing and it really shocked me and my jaw literally dropped. Sure, there were some slower episodes I didn't like but still somehow enjoyed (eps 16-20).

Edited on 06/05/2012 7:19am

Edie70

[29]Jun 14, 2012
    I've just seen Brenda on Dallas and she was amazing. So different from Mary Alice.

NiallB31

[30]Jun 14, 2012
    • level: 8

Edie70 wrote:
    I've just seen Brenda on Dallas and she was amazing. So different from Mary Alice.

Also just saw Dallas. Brenda was actually really good. And Im not just saying that since she was on DH. And I agree with you, it is nice seeing her in a different role and actually seeing her, it shows she can do voice over work and she can really act. I do think the producers on DH made a big mistake not using Mary Alice and Brenda as much in the last 2-3 seasons, especially in the final season. I expected more Mary Alice screen time.

Edie70

[31]Jun 14, 2012
    I know but she was filming Dallas from October to February and recording the voice-overs in a studio over there in Texas.

Edie70

[32]Jun 20, 2012

Teri on 'Jane by Design'

Edie70

[33]Jun 28, 2012

Christine Estabrook guest starring as Gail Holloway on Mad Men

Edie70

[34]Jun 28, 2012

Teri Hatcher guest starring as Kate Quimby on Jane by Design

Daniel777C

[35]Jun 28, 2012
    • level: 31
    Christine looks awesome, makes me wish I watched Mad Men.

Teri looks like she stole all of Eva's hair extensions lol, but still she looks better than this:
    http://uk.eonline.com/news/teri_hatcher_debuts_shorter_lighter/326166

Edie70

[36]Jun 28, 2012
    Dear God, that picture of Teri with short lighter hair is just .... it seems like a revenge of her hairdresser.

Edie70

[37]Jul 11, 2012

I (once again) checked out Teri's scenes in this week's episode of Jane by Design ... the next week's one is probably her last appearance. Thank God. She deserves a better show and maybe even her own sitcom. Here are some stills:

thebrittvfan

[38]Jul 12, 2012
    • level: 1
    Teri's such a bundle of joy (and I like to imagine that she's like Susan in real life..!) - she'll make a good addition to whatever show she appears on!

Edie70

[39]Jul 12, 2012
    Agreed. Teri and Nicollette were always my favorite two actresses on the show

EjkoBejko1

[40]Sep 1, 2012
    • level: 3

Steven Culp joins Grey's Anatomy as a recurring top surgeon

http://tvline.com/2012/08/31/greys-anatomy-season-9-steven-culp/