Desperate Housewives

Remember Paul?

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Sep 26, 2010 on ABC

• Wisteria Lane receives a visit from not one, but two old friends: Lynette's old college friend, Renee; and Paul Young, who has plans of his own.

Desperate Housewives is back - with a vengeance! After an entertaining but occasionally shaky sixth season (although it was a vast improvement over the lackluster fifth season), it seems like the writers are finally getting their mojo back, and I could not be happier.

Let's start with Paul Young. For starters, I loved the entire opening sequence, with the flashbacks and Paul's return to the lane. The writers are reaching back in time, and I think this was a good way to go. This is gonna be a hell of a mystery, especially with Felicia Tillman involved. Oh, this is gonna be fun.

Vanessa Williams. I had my doubts about her, but as it turns out, she's absolutely wonderful, and her interactions with Lynette were a hoot. I was surprised to find that she is carrying some heartache (her facial expression when Lynette was chewing her out was just devastating), so it's nice to see that this isn't just a one-note character. I can't wait to see where they take Renee!

Carlos and Gabby. Oh, this is gonna be a heartbreaker. These are two of my favorite characters in the series, and I have a feeling this whole "baby-switched-at-birth" thing is gonna be an emotional ride.

Bree. So she and Orson are separated now, and it seems there's a new contractor Bree has her eye on. I'm not sure about this one just yet. I love Marcia Cross, and her character, so I will follow her wherever this season takes her. Susan. Am I the only one who thinks that Susan taking that website job is a little...odd? Then again, this is Desperate Housewives. They've pulled off some pretty crazy scenarios over the years. So, we've got several great setups for this year, along with a great new set of characters, some new, some old. We've got a mystery that hearkens back to the first season, and I, for one, am beginning to remember why I fell in love with this show.