Desperate Housewives

We All Deserve to Die

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Apr 18, 2010 on ABC

7.6
  • How to write a horror novel

We All Deserve to Die (lyrics from a Sweeney Todd number?) had a handful of good scenes mixed in with overall storytelling that didn't quite come together.

Good scene #1: Lynette apologizes to Preston about his scamming bride-to-be, Irina. Turns out Irina schemes into marrying people and taking all their money. Which we already knew. She just did it a bunch of times in a bunch of different countries. Which we could have guessed. This storyline was a lemon from the start, and we knew they couldn't possibly wed, so it was just a matter of time before this was all just over and done with. Thankfully it is. Huffman has a great scene letting Preston hate him, but really shouldn't he be thankful he was saved from making a huge mistake? I guess he's ticked cause he looks like an idiot now. And he'll never be with someone so hot again. I get it. It's humiliating. But still.

Good scene #2: Mike's monologue about being in debt. This might not be appealing to those who've looked at Mike like this dreamy fantasy (which he acknowledges in the speech), but I found it honest and it was a nice moment for James Denton. But there otherwise wasn't much to the plot of Susan finding her husband stuff to do locally since his truck had been repossessed. Both the financial woes (Scavos ad nauseum) and Mike finding work, feel like roads we've traveled down before. Very blah plot.

Good Scene #3: Carlos vs Gaby and the eggs. She wanted to be a donor for Bob and Lee, but Carlos said no. He doesn't own her body, but "I pay for the clothes it wears, the massages it receives, and the implants it will one day require. If I don't own it, I'm at least a major stockholder!" He reasons. Lol, that's just good dialogue. I appreciate Gabrielle's good intentions, but she misunderstood her role as surrogate mother (to say she isn't) and the stress and frustration was too much for Lee, who left Bob. This was a surprising move, and sad. But I have no doubt the two will reconcile before season's end. That's really the best stuff this episode brought to us after a bit of a break, and that's a shame, because DH is in a rut right now. But that doesn't mean there wasn't anything to like about this entry.

The situation with Bree and Sam and Andrew is still the most interesting thing going. Andrew is still trying to bury this guy (do we believe the story about dropping out of school to tend to the sick mom?), but Sam fired back digging up dirt on Drew stealing wine. This got him fired, but Bree admits she'll hire him back eventually because this is just "what they do" (why did that bother me so much?) There was some vinegar sabotage at an investor's banquet, and while all fingers point to Andrew, Orson insinuated Sam could have framed him. Or has Orson framed Sam? I'm diggin' this, I am.

There was also a clever spin with Patrick's arrival, who when he met Danny, pretended to be an aspiring author with writer's block. Pat basically laid out his story under the ruse of his fictional characters and Danny gave him suggestions for what these people should do. Inadvertently, Dan has suggested killing his own mother, and getting himself kidnapped. That reads really funny, I know, but trust me, this is kind of clever. And finally I have to talk about the serial killer on Wysteria lane, who is finally revealed. It's that kid who hangs out with Preston, who is the sometimes friend of Danny. I can't even remember his name, he's that insignificant. Nor do I care, really. Was this a surprise? I guess so. So why didn't this have any emotional impact at all? Cause killing Irina was awesome- she sucked. And the coffee shop girl? Who cares? Fugly Julie? I can take her or leave her, I guess. The surprise killer is a soap opera staple and certainly bread and butter for Desperate Housewives, so I'm sure many will have no problem with this at all- no matter how contrived.