Devil May Cry Forums

WOWOW (ended 2007)

Portrayal of Dante

blazingstone

[1]Sep 30, 2007
    • level: 8

As a DMC fan, I've played the video games, and really loved Dante's character. He was a smart a**, flirty, kick a**, rebellious, back-talkingguy. That was part of what made me warm up to the series.

Does anyone else think that the anime!Dante didn't really do justice to video game!Dante? I didn't really like how our video game Dante was portrayed.

The Dante in the anime seemed a little too serious. I don't think they chose a voice actor suited for his character. From what I remember, he was portrayed as a happy-go-lucky kind of guy. They tried to throw in his smart-a** one liners in there, but it just didn't sound right without his care-free, lighter, boastfulvoice, like in the video games. They pretty much left the flirty part out too - and I loved how blunt he was with all the women he came across in the video games.

I know he's more serious and maturein DMC4, but this is before that, so I thought he would've maintained the outward, immature, cheeky tendancies he had in the previous games.

To me, anime Dante seems more like Leon from the RE series than his videogame self. But, don't get me wrong, anime Dante is kick a** too. He's an awesome character, but he just doesn't do justice to his video game self.

Those are my thoughts, though. Anyone else agree/disagree?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

anubis145

[2]Oct 2, 2007
    • level: 9
    I agree and my theory is that this is after the events that caused his attitude adjustment in DMC2.

Drew0313

[3]Oct 3, 2007
    • level: 12

I don't know what the hell happened to Dante in DMC2. It's like it wasn't even him anymore, honestly. Dante is just isn't Dante if he barely talks crap at his enemies, let alone barely talk in the entire game. It wouldn't surprise me if they host DMC2 as non-cannon by the 4th game, it seems that way though.

About him being a bit too serious in the anime, I'm hoping that Dante's voice would improve once they got a English voice actor for him. It'd be awesome if they still have Reuben Langdon from the videogames.

DMClover314

[4]Dec 21, 2007
    • level: 31
    i agree, dante's attitude was similar to DMC2 one, which made me go wtf???

kuramaslover

[5]Apr 4, 2008
    • level: 2
    Actually Reuben Langdon (who in the credits of the show is known as Justin Cause) does voice act Dante in the English Version. He does a good job of it in the anime plus it gets more interesting as the episodes go on. On Youtube you can find the first four episodes in English plus the first volume of the series is already out. The second and third volume will come out later this year

jbones31874

[6]Jul 5, 2008
    • level: 6

I actually liked how they made Dante in the anime (JP, haven't seen the English adapation) because he is more serious, thinks more rationally, is more badass, and makes smerf jokes. He's a tough guy, but in the inside he really cares about people. I hated how they made Dante in DMC3 very full of himself, over-confident, and very cocky. Dante seems much more like a slient hero by his anime portrayal, as opposed to his inmature and over-confident portrayal in the video games (DMC 3, especially).

That's just my personal preference though.

REUCHUNK

[7]Jul 10, 2008
    • level: 2
    Yea in DMC they potrayed him as a cold persson at points like the episode with his old adopted family. Though realistically it's a good show of what he would be like in life if he was real. Though it didn't seem to have a straight plot really most of the episodes build up to one great climax of proportions. Overall I loved the show and his portrayal and can't wait to get the second Level of it on dvd.

AxStarr

[8]Jul 30, 2008
    • level: 15
    Adopted family? I missed that part

As for Dante in DMC2, to Me, it makes sense. Well, at least somewhat anyway. Chronologically, it comes last in the series (so far) and Dante would be at his oldest. It's not unusual that he'd have matured to be like that in his later years. I read he's supposed to be in his forties in DMC2

YamiGuzz

[9]Sep 12, 2009
    • level: 15
    A year old comment but Ruben Langden's portrayal seem pretty good.