Dexter

A Horse of a Different Color

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Oct 23, 2011 on Showtime

• Travis and Professor Gellar keep their plan moving forward while Dexter's son gets sick.

I was very torn on this episode. Half of the time, I was insanely frustrated with how ridiculous the writers were. Scenes like Batista and Quinn getting high in his new car? Masuka having girl problems with his new interns? It's terribly dull and very stupid for a show that's been as good as Dexter to do. On the other hand, we already have Dexter figuring out who is behind these attacks: Travis (Colin Hanks). It was a big moment for the show, mostly because it's the earliest we've had him figure out who the bad guy is.

The episode was just a mixture of good and bad, with the good outweighing the bad (barely) in the end. What elevated the episode was the long monologue that Brother Sam gives near the end of the episode while Dexter waits to hear about his son. It's an extremely restrained and minimalist performance by Mos Def and it could easily be an oppurtunity for him to win an Emmy. It was such a good scene that I immediately forgave the ridiculous plots going on with LaGuerta, Batista, Quinn and Masuka. It also helped that the plot involving Deb being lieutenant continues to reap rewards for Jennifer Carpenter. Her character is getting the most to do out of all the supporting cast and I'm enjoying it so far.

After a few episodes of focusing on stand-alone kills, the season seems to be ready to focus on the main plot of the season: the stuff with Travis and Professor Geller, who have been nicknamed the Doomsday Killers. There's a lot of questioning going around about whether or not Geller is even alive; if you look back throughout the last few episodes, there's never a scene where Geller actually interacts with other people. He only interacts with Travis. It's an intersting point, but right now, it appears that Geller is an actual person who has been missing for awhile. He's also obsessed with religious prophecies It should be interesting to see how Dexter catches up with him.

Honestly, I considered rating this episode much lower at first. But boy, Mos Def saved the day and I decided to rate it higher.