Dexter

An Inconvenient Lie

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Oct 14, 2007 on Showtime

• Dexter meets Lila

In this episode Dexter goes to the recovery place and meets Lila who knows about Dexter's darkness and can tell he is different from everyone else Throughout the episode Dexter keeps insisting that he doesn't want to go to recovery but helps him in the end when Doakes finds Dexter at the recovery and it makes Doakes think that Dexter is an addict and it covers Dexters real truth This episode shows Dexter learning off other killers when he is about to kill them, this time it was about lying which Dexters victim did really well and what Dexter doesn't seem to do very well but now Rita won't want Dexter to go to recovery when she sees his sponsor.
  • I love that the girlfriend pushed it and now she is freaking out over it.

This was a great episode it had everything in it. Drama, killing, and developing plot. I hated that cop following Dexter around it was starting to get annoying, so I am glad that he isn't doing that anymore. The whole thing with Dexter at NA was great cause it lets us see him in a different light, and it shows that although he thinks that he doesn't have any feelings in reality he does. I can't believe that his sister is the one that is moving the investigation closer and closer towards Dexter, if she only knew that it was her brother that was killing people.
  • Amazing episode.

I had a long break between watching this episode and last one.. and I even wonder, how I managed to put the dvd aside after last episode, because this one just caught me in the action and I did not even noticed how the time passed. It was great episode. I mean, the way Dexter gets into all kind of storylines: trying to deal with Rita as he has found that he cares about her more than he thought. Dealing with Doakes who never leaves him alone and that storyline got a really surprising ending but a brilliant one. In a moment I thought he is in real trouble but no.. that happened to be his savor. And then maybe the most fascinating part was the way Dexter has to deal with the case. They are all after him and by every step he makes, they get closer. His sister realizes the pattern and that FBI man had a talk with him what was just too.. if they put everything in right context, they can figure it out. But we all hope there comes somekind of very good storyline as the story is catching the motion..
  • Season Two Begins

This is the beginning of season two, I feel. A lot of the first two epsiodes revolved around trying to introduce a new concept (Bay Harbor Butcher) when the main characters were still reeling from the Ice Truck Killer case. It doesn't look like there is going to be a season-long arch in terms of a killer, just the investigation into Dexter and his murders. I'm so interested to see how this storyline is going to pan out with Lundy, who by the way is a great actor. I saw him on my favorite episode of Criminal Minds back in the day and he did a brillant job. Can't wait to see more Lundy / Dexter interactions, the one in this episode was very dark and real. The connection of people with criminal recrds was brought up in this episode by Deb, which should be interesting. Lila is a character I think Im goign to see a lot more of. She hasn't been devoloped at all, but Dexter seems to have struck a thing with her which may begin to drive Rita up the wall about this whole program. Overall, good episode with a lot of dark scenes that were written and performed very well.
  • Putting Out Written by Melissa Rosenberg Directed by Tony Goldwyn

Dexter (to Narcotics Group): "I just know there's something dark in me. I hide it. I certainly don't talk about it but its there. Always. This dark passenger and when he's driving, I feel … alive".

Going to a Narcotics group is something I will hopefully never have to experience. As one of my friends recently pointed out to me, I've got an addictive personality but then again, name one person who isn't addicted to something? Luckily for me, my addictions are dangerous or damaging to my life or anyone else's.

As for Dexter, it's different. His compulsion to kill is somewhat remedied by Harry's code. If it wasn't for Harry's code, Dexter would be possibly killing anything that looked at him in the wrong but luckily a code and his own sense of justice just keeps him to killing those more deserving.

Last week Rita had it out with him about the shoe. I stressed that while he was right to admit to assaulting Paul, pretending to be an addict wasn't the smartest thing that Dexter could've done. This episode only went to prove that belief in spades, even if Dexter is adept at faking it.

The first meeting he goes to is played for laughs. Dexter watches a few people go on repeatedly about their vices and how said vices have damaged their lives. Instead of feeling sorry for these people, Dexter just rolls his eyes in boredom and decides to skip the rest of the meeting.

However one thing Dexter did wrong was to tell Rita that he didn't stay until the end. In Season One, Dexter could've gotten away with this but here, Rita is pretty adamant that either Dexter sticks it out or they are done. I like seeing this stronger assertive side to Rita but I just wish that we weren't seeing this element of her at Dexter's expense though.

Dexter to his credit manages to stick it out at a second meeting and in a bid to get some chip even talks about himself. Of course, Dexter is a master of faking and he spins a pretty lame story that everyone watching, even if it's their first episode of the show could see that Dexter was lying through his teeth.

One person in particular who could see through Dexter's surprisingly unimaginative story is Lila. Before she even uttered a word, Lila made her presence felt by staring at Dexter. Well to be honest it looked more like she was sizing him up but then again, Dexter does have that certain effect on people.

Joining Lila for a coffee is something of a wake up for Dexter. Seeing through his crap story is all well and good but when a complete stranger starts making rather personal and perceptive comments about your psyche, it doesn't take much to get a little nervous. In fact it's enough to make Dexter want to quit NA for good.

Probably best known for playing Stacy on Hustle, British actress Jaime Murray is seemingly fine in the role of Lila. Like all British actors playing British characters on television, Murray has to heighten her accent just to emphasise that she's from Britain. Fortunately it's nowhere near as bad as you'd expect it to be but it is a little distracting when watching Lila.

I'm not exactly sure how I'm supposed to feel about her as a character. While it's nice to see someone actually understand Dexter's darkness and be okay with it, the last person who did that was Rudy and we all know what happened with him. It also doesn't help that there is something of a distinctly creepy vibe about Lila too.

Dexter's scared enough of her prying to try and quit and when he brings it up to Rita, he gets dumped. It's only when Dexter decides to take NA seriously and adopt Lila as his sponsor does Rita take him back. That being said, it's interesting to then see Rita looking threatened by Dexter hanging out with Lila. Another thing the episode tried to highlight was an underlying sexual chemistry between Dexter and Lila.

Rita shouldn't really worry for now because this episode actually went out of it's way to prove that Dexter loves her. Okay so there's the fact he's taking the NA stuff seriously in an effort not to lose her but there's also the fact that when Roger trashes Rita's name, Dexter loses it and kills him.

Roger's this week's victim and he's also an accomplished liar at everything. Dexter figures out he's been killing women and even when he confronts the evil salesman, Roger still tries to deny it. Then Roger also lets his sexism get in the way and Dexter does us all a favour by killing the scumbag.

Of course with Rita, Lila and Roger all playing heavily on his mind, it's almost perfect that it's this episode where Doakes finally gets Dexter. First there are the snide comments in the elevator and then there's Doakes going for the jugular by accusing Dexter of being connected to the Ice Truck Killer.

This however doesn't compare to the fact Doakes revels in thinking that Dexter is an addict. Dexter might have been feeling like the man of the moment when he bared himself in NA but he also perfectly conveyed a look of dread when Doakes showed up. Of course Dexter thinks this will keep Doakes at bay but something tells me the opposite is more likely to happen.

Then there's Lundy. He's already proved to be a perceptive guy in the way that he knew Doakes wasn't the sort of cop to play with other. His brief conversation with Dexter gave off the distinct vibe that he wasn't so trusting of him. As threats go, Dexter should worry about Doakes but also keep an eye out for Lundy as well. Right now he doesn't have the luxury of being able to relax.

Being the new serial killer in town is definitely causing ripples. While Dexter makes some wry observations that Deb hunting for him makes for an awkward family dynamic, there's also the fact that Masuka is getting him to look at his own handiwork to boot.

Dexter feels more annoyed than moved when seeing all of his corpses and even tries to get himself away from doing as much as he can. He's not the only one who feels like evading responsibility. After all, the still hurting Deb is also pretty keen to distance herself from this particular case.

With everyone else being excited about working on solving the Bay Harbour Butcher case, Deb feels like she can barely hack it. In the interviewing stage, she tries to get Angel to convey to a woman in Spanish that she can't help her and then she tries twice to get out of the case.

It seems Lundy's perception of people also has a positive sting to it as well. He deliberately put Deb on this case because she was involved with Rudy. It's not a shocker to learn this and you also wonder if it's a good way of getting Deb to sort her demons out once and for all too.

Refusing to let her go proved good for Lundy. Deb interviewed a young man and learned that his father was an abusive criminal who evaded justice. Deb then went to Lundy and the two of them deduced that the victims were criminals. It didn't take much for them to consider that this could be the very pattern.

As a viewer, while I seriously don't want Deb to learn that Dexter has been slaughtering Miami's less savoury population, it's just nice to have a reminder of Deb's capabilities. She might be flighty and head strong but at the end of the day, she's a better cop than other people.

The other person in question I'm hinting at would be Esme. Now I like Esme reasonably enough and while I sympathise a little with her, I'm also finding her recklessness incredibly annoying. There's a reason why domestics are supposed to be left at home after all.

For the past two episodes, Esme's allowed herself to be distracted by her cheating fiancé. At this point it has become too problematic as not only is she making an ass out of herself during TV interviews about the Bay Harbour Butcher but it's Maria of all people who is having to cover up to for her.

Angel can tell that Esme isn't up to the job and both Lundy and Captain Matthews aren't too thrilled with Esme's handling of the media. However when Matthews gives Maria the opportunity to score her job back by bad mouthing Esme, Maria refuses to take the bait and accuses Matthews of being sexist.

Now Maria probably has a point there and it's rather honourable that she's willing to defend Esme. Maybe Maria has gone through something similar without support or perhaps it's further efforts on the writers' part to show us that she's not a terrible person but either way it's admirable and reckless.

It's admirable because it shows that Maria has loyalty within her but it's also reckless because she's spiting Matthews as well and if Esme doesn't get her act together, then something disastrous might happen and it could look bad for Maria as well.

Also in "An Inconvenient Lie"

The previously on bit are still rather long but I liked seeing some clips from the first season again.

Dexter (re Caroline): "No self control lost everything. Same whiny story, over and over again for the last ten minutes".

Because of BHB fiasco this episode saw the office being littered with as many people as possible. Lundy (re Esme): "I wish your Lieutenant would consult me before the press".
    Matthews: "I'll rip her a new one if I can find her".

Counsellor: "You've got three minutes to share if you want".
    Dexter: "Really?"
    Drug Addict: "Go ahead. You're among friends".

Maria got a little suspicious of Dexter's new minivan. It's the first time these two have interacted at all this season.

Lila: "Tell me exactly how full of **** are you?"
    Dexter: "I'm not full of anything".
    Lila: "It was a nice performance in there. Where did you download it from – addict.com?"

Dexter (re NA): "I swear to you, I'm better off alone".
    Rita: "I pray you'll change your mind".

Rita was smoking again in this episode. Deb did a lot of that Season One as did Maria a few times. Is it to convey stress or has Rita always been a smoker?

Esme: "I seem to have my hand up my ass this week".
    Maria: "It's called being human".

Dexter: "So is this it?"
    Rita: "It's up to you Dexter".

The guy Deb was interviewing at the end looked a little familiar. I'm wondering which one of Dexter's victims who he is?

Maria (to Matthews): "You know what neurotic means – non male. The same bull**** sexism I put up with when I was in charge. I won't dignify the rumours. Pasquale's fine".

Doakes: "I know you're a good liar too".
    Dexter: "Yeah but not good enough".

We learned in this episode that Dexter is a jujitsu expert and that he was also originally going to go to med school.

Dexter (re corpses): "You're hoping they'll talk to you?"
    Lundy: "The ones with heads anyway. They always speak in the end. You gotta ask the right questions".
    Dexter: "Which is?"

Roger (re killings): "No I wouldn't".
    Dexter: "You did and you'll do it again. That's why we're here".

Deb is still making no effort to move out of Dexter's, even though he's less anxious about her being around the place.

Dexter (re Lila): "That's my sponsor".
    Rita: "What, the guy in the blue shirt?"
    Dexter: "No, the one next to him".

Chronology: A week or two since "Waiting To Exhale".

Giving us all a nice examination in the drawbacks of lying as well as those who actually believe in their own fibs, "An Inconvenient Lie" is definitely an exciting episode. So far this season is striking well enough.
  • Dexter's back to what he does best...

Having lied to girlfriend Rita to cover up what he did to Paul, Dexter now finds himself attending a 12 Step Program in getting of Drugs with the Narcotics Anonymous classes.

At first he finds it quite difficult and is afraid everyone will see through him. Rita however makes it quite clear that their relationship wont move forward if he doesnt attent the N.A Meetings. She doesn't react too well though when she sees Dexter's sponsor, the sexy Lila.

Dexter also sets his sights on a new victim: a used-car salesman in which he disposes off. Sgt. Doakes follows Dexter to an NA meeting, but surprises him with his reaction. Debbie is assigned to the joint task force with the FBI but is having difficult in dealing with the people and the desperation to find their loved ones. She does however uncover a pattern to the murders.
  • Brilliantly done, best of the season so far (slight spoilers)

Just when it seems like everything is going wrong- the FBI hot on his tail, having to go to pointless AA meetings, Dokes constantly tailing him. It just doesn't seem like anything can go right for Dexter, yet somehow it all comes around in the end and all from just going to the AA meetings and letting people see a little of his darker side. I especially loved it when Dexter made his 'dark passenger' speech to the group. It was great to see he finally has a place he can express that side of himself without being made to feel like a 'monster'. Very deep and very well plotted out.
  • Dexter discovers feelings in him he never suspected.

I loved this episode. Dexter is feeling emotions even though he always claimed not to have them. He does have feelings for Rita and the kids. He even goes to a support group for addicts and at first gives a fake name and unconvincing talk. However, the second time, after Rita shut him out and realising the effect on him, he tell the group his real name and how he really feels, without the gory details aof course. He mentions 'his dark passenger' aka the urge to kill, which is taken from the books.

I also loved the look on Rita's face when she realised that Dexter's sponsor is a beautiful woman...
  • This particular episode makes a connection with the book

I've watched Dexter ever since I heard about it critically last year. I don't have cable, so I usually get my info from places like TV.com. As soon as I saw the first episode, I was hooked. The first season was awesome, and the second season is shaping up to be just as good. Dexter however seems to be losing his inhumanity so to speak, so I'm not sure how this one might turn out. This particular episode had great pacing, great surprises, and a great ending. I cannot wait to see the next episode. Something to note on this episode, which I would do if I could but Tv.com has this weird rank thing, is that for the first time he calls the urge within him "The Dark Passenger" which is what it's refered to from book one.
  • An average episode of Dexter, highlighting the show's weaknesses as well as its strengths.

I suddenly find myself tired of Dexter's dry analysis of the life around him. Tired of quiet shots of people walking with melancholy music in the background, tired of Doakes and Dexter's dance. The writers seem a little tired, too: We leap into this week's murder mystery without nearly any introduction. Also, one could make a drinking game out of the voice over in this episode - drink once every time Harry's Code gets mentioned, etc. But eventually, Dexter delivers. Rita throwing Dexter out and exposing him in a lie, Dexter's little pieces of humanity floating upwards, and the FBI guy practically giving Dexter a license to kill. Oh, and the icing on the cake: Jaime Murray's character. They didn't just introduce a character, they introduced an idea - basically giving Dexter a place where he can let it all (well, almost all) out. But Dexter becoming more human carries danger with it - Dexter killing on emotion, or getting accepted into society while still being a menace (Doakes). All in all, an average episode. But even an average episode of Dexter is the highlight of any given TV week.
  • Dark passenger.

That was an indeed very interesting episode with the dexter character developing even more.
    So Dexter goes into a rehabilitation program and of course don`t find himself at ease but Rita would not hear any of Dex`s excuses. He also have a new victim but before dying, the latter make Dexter realize how much he care for Rita and the kids. So he is back in the program but this time its more interesting for him as he is able to share (in some sorts) his feelings and also finds a girl, Lila who seem to understand Dexter in some way, So Dexter and Rita are together again bit the later seemed a little concerned about Dexter and Lila being friends.
    Also, Doakes things he finally found what`s wring with Dexter an d seems the Doakes tailing Dexter thing is over (in a funny way and I love it, Doakes can be so funny at times)
    The most interesting part remains where Debra seemed to have found a pattern in the the Bay Harbor Butcher`s killing.
    Excellent episode, I just hope they don`t turn this into a Rita vs. Lila story for the love of Dexter story..LOL.
  • Nigh on perfect!

This has to be one of my favourite episodes of Dexter so far. I know there were no really earth-shattering plot points covered, but I really really liked it.

I see from other reviews that some feel that Dexter has lost full control of the situation. To me, that's part of what is so good about this season so far. Nobody is in full control all the time, and for Dexter to be so is unconvincing.

I love the 'dark passenger' conversation. Not because I like his new sponsor (I don't), but because it was... "deep". I also loved that he's now got the support of his stalker. I love the way he manages to smile without moving a muscle.

I just think this was a great episode. :)
  • A little out of Character for Dexter, getting in touch with his inner emotions... sort of... but still enjoyable.

The ending was the best part of all. He shares to the N.A. meeting his inner 'demon', without actually telling the people there what it is, only how it controls him and makes him 'feel'. The utter look of relief on his face when Doakes finds out what he's doing, and basically lets him off the hook was priceless. His life, as he knows it, is coming back together. He is able to kill again, he's put his brother behind him, he realized that Rita and the kids matter to him, even on a subconscious level. He is still everything that makes Dexter... Dexter. But now he has a piece of the 'normal' life that everyone else has. :>
  • Why has Dexter lost his cold and complete control of the situation...

For what ever reason Dexter's control, and view of the situation without emotional and ethical bounds has been lost. He's slowly becoming this weak little girl who looks like he's about to cry half the time. And can't even see that killing in the middle of an investigation is just plain retarded. Why would he risk his own capture just to save some random woman. It just doesn't fit, he's a sociopath. Saving people is NOT why he kills.

The writers are really changing the character for the worse. Instead of having him plan things out, good luck just rains from the sky. Like doakes finding out he's going to NA, getting him off of Dexter's back for the time being.

I enjoyed the cold methodical Dexter, able to see past the next 10 minutes and control situations. Not hope real hard that something good will happen. Every episode he gets enthralled by these normally non existent emotions like love, fear, anxiety. Just GTFO please. Sociopaths are incapable of just sprouting out emotions. It just doesn't happen, either he's a killer free from emotion or he's not. Make up your minds.
  • Dexter lives out every consumer's fantasy - killing a used car dealer.

A serial killer in a 12 step program. What an awesome idea. Hi I'm Dexter and I have a dark passgenger. What a great episode. I don't know where to start. Dex buys a minivan. An iconoclastic classic. His sister breaks his case (just barely). And Rita serves Dexter up to 'bad euro trash girl' as only a pushy woman can. Dexter seeks personal growth on how to improve hid lying prowess from a fellow professional. Talk about professional courtesy. The only part I did not completely buy was Doakes backing off his surveillance because he found Dexter at a meeting. It's seemed a little too neat, unless Doakes is just throwing him off of his suspicions. There is a lot of potential here with new story threads in abundance. The jealous Rita thread is probably the most immediately important development as Dexter's late night absences will likely start to weigh on her natural feminine suspicions. She may take over where Doakes left off watching his every moves thinking she has a cheater on her hand and not a killer (Hope for her sake she's not good at it). Can't wait until the next episode until then...it's red bull and sport center.
  • The show on it's best!

As usual the Dexter episode is very well written. And it actually takes away many bothering elements that have been there from the beginning of the season. Dexter is finally over his brother's death, and back to where he should be. Deb finds out that a possible pattern could be "bad guys".

I liked how the program he entered helped in a lot of ways. First, it fixed things with Rita. She is glad he is recovering from what she thinks is a drug addiction. Second, it got Stokes off his back. He has really been a pain, but now he finally "understands everything" and won't continue to follow him around anymore.

What I find most interesting about this episode is the seemingly impulse killing of the cars salesman and Rita's reaction in the end of the episode. Usually Dexter is very calm when he kills, and does not act on impulse. But when the cars salesman start talking bad about Rita Dexter kills him, and looks kind of shocked by what he just did. And in the end when Rita drops Dexter off at the program and sees that his contact is a woman, she seems worried, or perhaps jealous.

I can't wait to see what happens next! This really introduced season two, and I am confident it will be even better than the first!
  • Dexter gets himself into a program for his "addiction" and things with the Bay Harbor Butcher case heat up for everyone

I thought this was an absolutely amazing episode. Dexter this season is proving to be just as good if not better (if that's possible) than last season. Dexter realizing that he may have some human emotions after all is pretty interesting, I also laughed hysterically that Doakes is now totally OK with Dexter because he figured out his "secret" and thinks its admirable that he's trying to get help. Too bad he really has no idea! Definitely funny though. I also am really interested in this storyline with the new woman Lila from NA. That should be a great segment in this season. I am also really proud of Deb for being able get through everything with the Ice Truck Killer even though its hard for her. It's so real watching her. I can't wait until next episode, this season just keeps me wanting more and more. Way to go Showtime.
  • Dexter is back on track!

I just loved the ending with Rita shooting jealously daggers at Lila. Since she made the threat to Dexter if he doesn't go to the meetings she will dump him, so as a good boy he does and now his sponser is a hot female, serves her right. Dexter's bodies that were found is proving to be interesting. I just thought he had a lot more than 18. And since he is on the team, he can find out exactly where the investigation is heading, plus he can tamper with evidence if he needs to. Funny thing about Debra, is that she feels stupid to be engaged and sleeping with a serial killer, and won't she find herself really stupid to know her brother is the worst one ever alive.
  • This episode Dexter learns about himself!

Dexter is a must watch show! my husband and I have the whole family addicted (mom, dad, sisters), not for the kids though! Dexter is really starting to show that human side that his dad knew existed. His girlfriend can be a bit anoying in this las episode! His sister is finally finding and understanding herself. The cop that follows him is pretty funny and we enjoy the interaction between him and Dex. Hope it doesn't stop now that he (thinks) dexter is a drug abuser! Their banter just kills us! lol Wonder if Dex will get him a new tire? ENJOY!
  • Dexs st it again and this season is set to be a great season

The first two eps were not "bad" it just tired to tie loose ends.We find dex staking his next pry a car sells man. In the mean time rita wants dex to go back to the programe and get help. Doaks is still tailing dex trying to find out what hes hiding. This is the eps we have wait for. The charcters are starting to come back to life.

Dex has gotten his charm back and his bothers storyline is all but phased out. Not that the first eps were bad they felt like fillers. Now we see the story unfold and to me the season has actually begun. Will dex get caught? The detective and dex have great chimastery and doaks is lead out of the picture so cleaverly for now.

This has also set the tone for dex and rita and too see how dex turly thinks. I am glade to be the first review hopfuly the best but not last of great eps to come.