Dexter

Argentina

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Nov 18, 2012 on Showtime

• Love and War

A slower episode of Dexter this week as we reach the 2/3 of the way through the season point and the writers continue to find a way to juggle Hannah and Isaac and keeping Dexter as busy as ever. First off, kudos to the writers for making Hannah a stable connection for Dexter to have (at least for such a short time). I feel that while her character stumbled to get my attention at first her function in being with Dexter doesn't feel as if it's going to turn out like the other women in his past. Let's recant all those he's "trusted" before. Lila was drawn to it and was crazy and arson-esque, Miguel was brought under his wing but was already a sociopath so it evolved into his death, Lumen saw it and got out clean, Rita never saw it and only thought he was a junkie like Paul, Travis doesn't count, Deb isn't a romantic interest, and Brian Moser was too evil for Dexter's code to let him live on so Hannah really is quite different. Showing a softer side to Isaac really went to the grassroots of his character and his heart to heart with Dexter over being outsiders and in another life being very good friends was striking and once again showed Ray Stevenson's acting chops. Dexter's cutting of the assassin, sent by the Brotherhood to kill Isaac, was a nice bit of irony because Isaac may well have been taken care of had he not tried to break into Viktor's apartment at all. And what was up with the donut shop shooting? That was just lazy, the whole four slo-mo seconds that Dexter saw Isaac after he saw him take the first show with the suppressed pistol, haven't we already established that Isaac is a damn good shot after the Columbian bar incident a few weeks ago? LaGuerta moving down the boat list and finding out Dexter changed marinas back when the BHB case was hot is pushing her in the right direction but knowing where she's going Dexter may have to deal with her. Quinn is further blackmailed by George (the nightclub owner), who leverages a recording of their conversation about Nadia's freedom for the blood evidence going missing and makes him watch over a heroin deal later that same night so he is truly under their thumb now thanks to his involvement with Nadia so there isn't much wiggle room for his character now. Angel secures the lease on the restaurant and everybody goes to hang out and eat there. Astor and Cody's return was welcome since it's good to see how they're doing and even if it is midseason having them interrupt at any point in Dexter's life is like someone quoting perfect instances of Murphy's Law. The scenes that ignited this week were Hannah and Dexter's discussing how Isaac wants to kill him and how he killed Viktor and how she let him borrow her van, and Deb finding out that Dex is seeing Hannah after all that crap about him caring too much about her to let her make him do a kill on her. Her admission of last year's nearly absurd story of her being in love with him was a nice re-up since it hasn't been in play an awful lot and Jennifer Carpenter oddly made it work as an admission and Dexter's stunned reaction was pretty spot on for how someone would take something like that. The humorous parts of the episode, like when Isaac in on the couch of Viktor's apartment while Dexter is going over the assassin dead in the kitchen whilst Isaac heckles the crime scene was pretty brilliant. Hannah and Dexter's chemistry also worked and the Argentina metaphor stuck for the places everyone would rather be, and Isaac's sad tale humanized him as a man with money and power but no happiness. Where Deb and Dex fit into each other's lives now is complicated since the kids will surely be gone by the end of next episode. But Isaac will keep coming and Deb will go further off the deep end. Dexter's plan going into the gay bar after Isaac and his resolution after his interaction with Isaac about them "not having to do this," but Isaac can't let it go because of the nature of love. Also, Dexter not knowing what a booty call is was another funny bit. Hannah pointing out that Dexter is lucky to have a family to fall back on in his anonymity marks many a time that someone points out how fortunate he is to have them. Isaac's pointing out what Dexter did to Trinity and Viktor being a contradiction show the humanity of Dexter's web of hypocrisy that this season is opening us up to, no longer just having us look through Dexter's lens of "it being necessary" by giving us other characters like Deb to call him on his crap when he's just flat out wrong. I figured Dex might tell Deb about Hannah after the gay bar scene but leave the bad timing and ways of finding out to go to Deb being too observant for her own good. Overall, this was a very strong building onto Season 7's foundation and giving us more Isaac but of a different sort. George is now moving against him and Isaac is now surrounded by the police, Dexter, and the Brotherhood no longer behind him. Maybe he will ask Quinn to do the deed of killing Isaac and we'll find out where he draws the line since a lot of this season is stretching characters to their limit. Also, good on the writers for making this exploration of love and family feel new since we already know that the question of Dexter being able to love that was posed over the years has been more than questioned and answered. My only gripe is ghost Harry explaining Deb's believing Dexter's lie as being in love with him since I believe a sense of loyalty as "siblings" plays into it a little more than just her being in love with and that their bond still goes deeper than that even after all that's happened. Deb is just so conflicted and her emotions about Dexter are pulling her every direction so good on Jennifer Carpenter for not being able to make sense out of it because I don't think any human being would. Also Isaac being non-stereotypically gay was a nice different portrayal than the typical "gay" character that most shows don't get a very human level on and his replaying Viktor's final message over and over was touching in a sad and an albeit creepy way.