A Dexter Community
Showtime (ended 2013)

I watched one episode of Dexter a while back, and it didn't grab me. Convince me I should watch this. Looking for clips, pictures and discussion around why this show should be the next one on my watch list. I'll be asking the same of a few other communities. Which ever community convinces me the most, will be on my TV screen next week.

Also looking at: Breaking Bad and Sherlock

poll

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 9/22/2013

Season 8 : Episode 12

Comments (13)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I would also highly recommend "The Fall", which is a British show now available on NetFlix. You thought you knew Gillian Anderson? She's Brilliant in this. Some of the best writing I've seen coming from England in a long time.... along with "Sherlock". Gillian actually grew up in England and has a natural British accent- most people don't know that. Also, check out "Top of The Lake" with Elisabeth Moss from Mad Men. This series takes place in New Zealand. Both are very cerebral shows that don't hand feed the viewer and are very well put together.
Flag
Yeah, my bro-in-law from the UK was telling me about this. Thanks for the rec.
Flag
Both Dexter and Breaking Bad are on their last seasons. So I'd go with Sherlock.
Flag
This sounds like a reason to choose one of the other two.
Flag
I'd say Breaking Bad. Then Sherlock. Then Dexter. Seasons 1-4 of Dexter can almost match up with BB and Sherlock, but the last 2 have been iffy.

I wouldn't know how to convince you. I can say they have really good acting and really good writing, but for the most part, people generally get "pulled" into watching something based on the premise of a show. I'm assuming you know the premise, but in case you don't... Dexter's about a dude named Dexter who, after witnessing a trauma as a child, becomes a psychopath. Due to a moral code learned from his adoptive father, Dexter satisfies his psychopathy by killing murderers, rapists, and generally all-around bad people all the while working as a blood analyst for Miami Metro Police.
Flag
Thanks for the input. I think I'm going to watch them in that order: BB, Sherlock, Dexter
Flag
Like Ben45tpy already said. You really show watch all 3 of them. All 3 shows have brilliant lead actors who will amaze you with their performances.

Breaking Bad is the best American show I ever saw, and it will probably take a very long time for another show to throw Breaking Bad of it's Throne. The writing is brilliant, the acting is superb (esp. Bryan Cranston, Aaron Paul & Giancarlo Esposito) and like Ben45tpy said, all episodes are consistently excellent throughout all seasons. So start with the pilot of Breaking Bad. I was hooked after 5 minutes, so I am pretty sure you will be hooked after watching the pilot episode. Can't tell you much more, just watch & enjoy the ride!

Dexter was really amazing television in the first 2 seasons. Most Dexter fans probably prefer season 4 however. (brilliant acting of John Lithgow) The reason I was easily hooked on Dexter was probably the fact that I always have been interested in serial killers. But I never thought I would care this much for a serial killer. Dexter is a really compelling character and you are really rooting for him from the start. You know it's wrong, but you will root for him anyhow. The difference between Dexter & the other 2 shows is that Michael C Hall carries most of the weight of the series (with some great performances of Jennifer Carpenter & John Lithgow (only season 4). But if you like a great drama with some disturbing kill-scenes and funny, dark situations, you can't miss out on this show. The biggest reason that I think season 3, 5 & 6 haven't got the same excellence as season 1,2,4 is that the writers have a hard time to give interesting stories to the supporting actors. And the big reveal wasn't very surprising in season 6. Season 7 however was again of a higher quality, it had some mistakes, but again esp. the stories of the supporting cast is the biggest issue. So I would really recommend you to watch the first 2 seasons, and if you didn't like them very much, you shouldn't continue watching.

Benedict Cumberbatch is really amazing as the modern day Sherlock. Nobody wants to have an argument with him, because you just know there is no way you can win. (I think it would be amazing to see a discussion between Cumberbatch's Sherlock, Hugh Laurie's Dr. House & Jim Parsons' Sheldon)
I never really liked British series, but Sherlock is a must-see-show! There are currently only 6 episodes, but each episode feels like a movie. The writing is great, the acting is better (esp. the roles of Sherlock & Watson) & the show is amazing!

So my conclusion is, you should watch them all! I would also recommend The Wire & Game of Thrones. The Wire is the only show who can reach the same level as Breaking Bad, although The Wire is more realistic than BB. Hope this helped!

More+
Flag
Wow. Thanks for all the detailed feedback! It looks like I may watch them in this order: 1) Breaking Bad 2) Sherlock 3) Dexter
Flag
You should watch all of them. Dexter is good for combining a warm family drama with very disturbing serial killer elements but you have to be prepared for a decline in quality over the many seasons.
Flag

Here is a trailer for the 1st season.. I don't have much time now and I will try to convince you later. But season 1,2 & 4 are really amazing television that you just can't miss out on watching.. The brilliant acting of Michael C. Hall, the constant tension, a lot of funny situations and cool kill-scenes are only a few elements of what makes Dexter a great show.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members