A Dexter Community
Showtime (ended 2013)

Dexter S08E06: "A Little Reflection"

Although it's not the precise midpoint of the season, "A Little Reflection," as the title suggests, served as a breather, a short pitstop between the wildly inconsistent but often intense action of the first five episodes of Season 8 and what looks to be an even more intense back-half of the season. Of course, only Dexter could build a transitional episode that featured its lead character thinking about killing a teenage boy, only to then decide to take him on as something of a disciple. As always, this isn't the most conventional TV show. 

I'm still having trouble letting go of how quickly the show zoomed past the fruitful and oh-so-good tension between Dexter and Deb, something that was on further display in "A Little Reflection" as the two of them tried to pull their lives back toward something close to normal. However, I also found the episode to be one of the more consistent installments of the season so far, and consistency is something the show definitely needs. After a whole lot of drama and an ultimately quick reconciliation, I was fine to grit my teeth and mostly enjoy watching Dexter and Deb try to find sturdy ground. It's never going to be as interesting as the potential avenues we saw both last season and in the first two episodes this season, but there's value in what happened this week.

Above all else, "A Little Reflection" displayed just how different Dex and Deb are. Despite their frankly sickening inability to let go of one another, they deal with both trauma and recovery quite differently. Think about how the stories went in this episode: Dexter spent most of the hour doing what he does—searching for killers, investigating in his Night Henley, and generally pretending that he doesn't live in a world where he ruins people's lives on the reg. His maneuvering reminded me of some of the series' earlier episodes, with him trying his hand (and failing) at dating and small talk, or parenting Harrison about why lying isn't such a great strategy. Those scenes were all fine, Michael C. Hall can act them in his sleep, but it always seems a little disingenuous when the show returns to this well. There's a sense that the coming cliffhanger is only really effective once the characters have returned to some temporary place of comfort, and while I understand why that's a move to make, we all knew that none of this was going to last. 

Meanwhile, even though Deb handled her issues much better this week than she did in the first few episodes (no cocaine or casual murder this time), you could feel in that final scene that she didn't totally know where to go. She can admit that she's screwed up beyond belief (though making light of the fact that she's killed two people was probably a step too far for me) and that she's not a prime dating candidate, but there was no sense that she's totally ready or able to move on. Dexter can handle the darkness and death so much better because he's faced it for much longer, and because he's a grade-A sociopath. Deb's not there, at least not yet. In the last two episodes, I've been waiting for Deb to completely lose her mind, even more so than when she tried to kill her brother, but the show seems determined to delay me that gratification as long as possible. But even Deb's actions were kind of familiar; we've seen her try to suppress issues and reconnect with her brother a dozen times over the course of the series. 

Yet, maybe "A Little Reflection" was what Season 8 needed, if only for one episode. I expressed my frustrations with the show's yoyo-ing tone and quality last week, and it's at least possible that the familiar rhythms of this episode will give Dexter a necessary shot in the arm. 

Plus, it's not like it was completely without its novelties! The silliness involving threats on Vogel's life are now gone (at least for now), which allowed for an increased spotlight on Dexter's distrust of her, and for more of creepy teen killer Zach. While Vogel keeps giving Dexter new reasons to roll his eyes at everything she says (or to kill her, which is basically his version of the frustrated eye-roll), the weird relationship between Dex and Zach has developed in a surprisingly compelling way. There was never any doubt that Zach killed his father's side-piece, but the episode got a lot of milage out of Dexter bringing Zach into his world in hopes of scoring as much information as possible. Dexter taking Zach under his wing as a murder intern is one of the more fascinating ideas that the show's come up with in recent seasons. It creates a slew of new opportunities for Dexter as a character, forcing him to really consider who he is, why he does what he does, etc. It should also stir up the right kind of tension between Dexter and Deb and even between Dexter and Vogel; it's one of those perfect "final season" things to do. Sam Underwood is sufficiently off-putting as Zach, so I'm really excited to see where this goes. 

Speaking of excited: Hannah's back. Clearly, it was just a matter of time, but this was also the perfect time for her to return. Dexter and Deb both think they have a half-assed handle on their lives (regardless of the fact that they're probably kidding themselves), and they've mostly moved past their MAJOR problems. And now, who saunters in but the one person who can easily get between them and fester up those problems? I know fans are mixed on Hannah, but if done correctly, Dexter could use her to great benefit here. The likelihood that her return will make the reconciliation between Dexter and Deb a fleeting one is what the show needs, even if it doesn't entirely make up for the season burning through story to arrive at that fake reconciliation in the first place.

I'll be the first to admit that I've been wishy-washy about this season of Dexter, but that's only because it's been too uneven and too confounding. "A Little Reflection" felt pretty familiar for the majority of its running time, but there were still elements that suggest the show is moving toward something, as opposed to stalling. Here's hoping. 

A FEW SLICES MORE

– Quinn didn't get the Sergeant's position, which is a national tragedy in its own right, but this news also ruined Jamie's birthday party. How could people do that to our angel Jamie? By the way, do you guys ever wonder how much Jamie gets paid? She's with Harrison like what, 80 percent of the time? Is she going to school? Does she just want to be a nanny/awkward matchmaker her whole life? Who are you, Jamie Batista? 

– So Masuka's daughter is probably fleecing him, but he doesn't totally care, only she's now offended that he investigated her. Who's enthralled? 

– The actor who plays Harrison: Still pretty awesome.

– I appreciate the writers' patience in not having Deb immediately sleep with Elway once he made a pass at her. That's true restraint coming from them. 

– Hey girl: Jennifer Carpenter cleans up nice. 

What'd you think of "A Little Reflection"?

148 Comments
Comments (148)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
So this season is driving me crazy! they just leave plots lying around all over the place, with what looks like no intention of fixing.
1st : they haven't solved who the brain surgeon second killer is, they were just like, oh it's probably shoe guy so i guess were done then!, ah no crazies, there was literally no evidence it was him. yeah hes insane and his heads cut and he attacked Vogel, guess what, everyone wants too! that's not evidence. So I'm guessing then that Vogel must be the killer.
2nd: how does no one know about Dexter and Morgan driving a car off a fucking bridge? no one asks how they're doing, and Jamie doesn't ask how her car is? like what? did Dexter not tell her, 'oh yeah i was going to go pick your car up and then deb decided to kill me so it's currently at the bottom of a river, oops !'
And as a side note, Cassey has worn these horrible clunky shoes from the late 90's every time we've seen her, Eww. glad to see blonds back!, now we get to see black bras and white tank tops on her every episode!
Oh and the rich Dexter wannabe needs to work on how you talk in public : "i feel like she bled that way for me" , creepy! dude no one normal talks like that, stop being so obviously a killer, goodness!

Other then that, it's been a 5 out of 10 type of season so far.
More+
Flag
The car wasn't Jamies it hers broke down because she did nothing about the check engine light it was a car he borrowed from the police station
Flag
I can't help being a big Vogel fan, her enjoyment of manipulation and her bemused little expressions are just wicked! Go Charlotte Rampling.
Flag
I want the stakes to be higher. I really, really hope that Matthews is secretly in the know about Laguerta's murder or at least has serious suspicions. Maybe it could be Battista investigating it (but not sure he's smart enough to put everything together). If you look at the situation on paper it's like: Laguerta accuses Dexter of being the Bay Harbor Butcher, and then what, like a couple of days go by and she ends up dead.
It will be great if Matthews has put these obvious (?) pieces together. Everything else going on right now, imo, is fluff compared to this, especially for a final season.
Flag
Agreed, the stakes need to be much higher. It really just seems crazy to me that Matthews DOESN'T know the truth about Dexter. I mean last season when he questioned Dexter, it seemed much less a question than a tip.. then she winds up dead? Then Vogel the creator of the code gets called in for a case, despite the fact that they've had serial killers on the show before and never mentioned her and her expertise before... something tells me Matthews called her in to checkin on Dexter because he suspects that Dexter killed LaGuerta...
Flag
Does anyone else think that there's something up with Matthews?? I'm starting to think he's known about Dexter and his Dark Passenger this whole time... my new theory is that this intern crap is going to blow up in Dexter's face big time, he's going to get busted somehow, and Matthews is going to cover it up and save his ass because he knew about all along.... side theory, its possibly Quinn's stupidity could be redeemed by him being the one catching Dexter and maybe Matthews discredits Quinn or Quinn dies? That's where I am at... but yea somethings up with Matthews
Flag
Considering the way Quinn was initially introduced to us, he was the first one to hate Dexter and suspect him of being up to something, then they dropped that whole thread for him becoming (essentially...) Deb's bitch, lol. Next we had Dokes hate Dex and suspect him - he winds up dead. LaGuerta starts suspecting Dex - she winds up dead. If Quinn were to finally get his brains back and start suspecting Dex again - he may...wind up dead, lol. But here's to hoping not and that he can somehow redeem himself to Matthews - would be kinda cool (even if unlikely at this point).
Flag
Dexter taking on an intern is so long overdue seeing as how in the books he's been molding Rita's kids from the day they met
Flag
I don't think Dexter taking an intern is silly - have in mind Vogel is there to manipulate him. Just remember what she did to Yates. Dexter is a psychopath, regular mumbo jumbo doesn't work on him, but Vogel's easing in real nicely. Slowly.

I believe there will be a big revelation about her (killing Harry, being Zach's mentor months ago, being a crazy psychopath on her own trying to make a "family that kills"). Or maybe she's only there for the experiment.

My theory (which is probably way off course) is that Vogel is somehow connected to Zach - his grandmother who used her daughter's marriage misery (Zachs mom) to tap into his dark passenger. This theory has many holes, but hey, it's what I would have done.

Anyway, the plots of the season seem laughable at certain moments, but in the end they are very plausible.
Flag
Do I smell a spin - off ?
Flag
Gee, I hope so. Won't it be great? Especially if they use the same brilliant, talented writers who have been crafting this season's pile of ...............................

But yes, you do smell something.
Flag
Well if Zach learns the code, he should probably kill Dexter. Then we get the spin off Zach: Dexter 2
Flag
definitely not feeling dexter being a mentor but that ending just made this season so so so much better!
Flag
i don't like that dexter and vogel are teaching the code to someone else, what is this, vogel's school of serial killing?

teaching new people the code just makes dexter more vulnerable, and more likely to get caught if this protege slips up.
Flag
Yup. This from a character who was like a shadow in the night, now he just about wears a tee shirt that says:

"Hi! I'm a Serial Killer and I'm with the Two Stupids!"

Obviously, Vogel and Deb have to wear their own tee shirts or it won't work.
Flag
Now I can only barely remember how Dexter used to only go after killers who had avoided being found guilty. It's a joke that the writers now insist on him obstructing police investigations to kill the perpetrator for every single homicide.

That's an old complaint by now, Now I'm wondering what's up with the logic of Dexter not killing Zach? Oh so he's young and impressionable, that lets him off the hook? He killed an innocent person but I guess Dex's decided that he gets a free pass for that because Zach thought killing an innocent would cure his mum's alcoholism? Yep, that makes TOTAL sense [sarcasm]. Is Dex now going to not kill anyone young people or people who didn't have any self-interest in committing murder, or who kill compulsively. That's wiped out like 90% of his kill-base. Teaching Zach the Code is also stupid. There are fundamental differences between Dexter and Zach, most importantly Dex only became how he is due to childhood trauma, Zach is just like that despite having a sheltered, pampered childhood. The only way this development will serve the show is if Quinn is barely adequate enough to continue surveilling Zach and sees something.
More+
Flag
Yup.

I doubt if there would be any intelligent, logical conclusion to Quinn seeing something. We'd probably be treated to The Murderous Threesome taping him to a table.
Flag
So happy hanna's back! You could see with the preview for next weeks episode that dexter is still in love with her.. Oh, and i hope Zach takes out the chick from one tree hill!
Flag
Happy to have Hannah back in the picture.

Final 4 episodes for Dexter... Things should be brilliant from here on.
Flag
So glad that Hannah is back. The whole psychological analysis with Dr Vogel's getting boring by the minute.
And Dexter not killing zach on the table just don't feel right. With Hannah it feels so natural, he opens up to her too. But this whole thing with zach doesn't make a lot of sense.
Side ideas:
Where can I hire someone like Jamie?
Elway just got a crush over Deb, why the writers have to hook her up with some stupid guy every season?
Flag
I just have a feeling Zach will kill Hannah somewhere along the line
Flag
That would be nice.
Flag
Serial Killer intern ... how silly ...
Glad that Hannah is back, too bad that it took so long ...
Flag
Hannah is the one that got a way. Literally, because she did get away, and is a much better match than that boring neighbor who mocks Dexter's use of his boat. But it looks like her purpose is to serve as victim to Dexter's intern. Maybe in the final episode, Dexter and Hannah will boat ride into the sunset.

Dexter rehabilitating Zach is the dumbest idea, which will make regular dumb ideas feel good about themselves. I mean, nothing can go wrong there, right? The situation of Harry and Dexter was entirely different. Harry had adopted Dexter, and Dexter was a child. Zach is a playboy "kid," and by kid I mean young adult. I don't see how he can be fixed.

Quinn was no sergeant material and everybody knew that. I just wish the new character (the competent African-American lady cop) had been better developed because this way I don't care about either.

Jaimie's financial/professional situation is a funny topic indeed. Apparently she's fine being a nanny and makes a good living out of it. This is because TV characters don't need to have a life, they just serve a plot purpose. Likewise, Dexter has by no means a steady job, and I don't think a forensic expert should make that much money, but he lives a life of luxury. He has a home, a car (more than one apparently since his other car sunk a couple episodes ago) and even a freaking boat. In many countries, that would be the life of a high middle class person or even a rich one. And Dexter is so good he doesn't need to study either, to improve in his profession like every professional has to from time to time. OK, from that perspective, Quinn's story line wasn't so silly as he seems to be the only one trying to improve his life.

Deb is not my type, and she has always seemed too skinny to me, but she did look hot in that "bait" outfit!
More+
Flag
>>>>Dexter rehabilitating Zach is the dumbest idea, which will make regular dumb ideas feel good about themselves

The writers couldn't successfully (well, as close to successful as bad writers can be) write themselves out of the season, having killed off the BS - that was ONE heckuva curtain rod, wasn't it? - so they gave Dex someone else to kill at the end.

Here's hoping mini-Dex kills someone Dex knows, with the exception of Harrison of course.
Flag
I'm liking the season but this episode felt like a filler. Dexter already had a friend he killed with and that didn't end well (wasn't it season 3 or something like that).

I like that they didn't drag out the Dex and Deb tension for so long. Many were worried that would happen and now the reviewer is unhappy it was resolved in a timely manner (with intervention to make it a bit more believable).

The "intern" is a bad idea and I wish Dex set it up so Quin could arrest the teen but that is not Dexter's style. I want the teen intern/apprentice to die and think Vogel may of coached the teen into what to say if captured by Dexter. I don't trust Vogel.

To many secondary characters in this episode.

The "brain surgeon" is still loose and may even be Vogel (those brains looked fake--not enough blood and variation in color...usually the show has better special effects).

I don't trust Vogel and want Dexter (or the intern) to kill her. If the intern kills her then Dex needs to kill the intern. I wish he killed the intern instead of deciding to play spiritual father....

I like Dex and Deb together as functioning brother an sister.

not the best episode but the season has been entertaining.
More+
Flag
I wondered the same thing about the brains.
Flag
"Quinn didn't get the Sergeant's position, which is a national tragedy in its own right, but this news also ruined Jamie's birthday party. How could people do that to our angel Jamie? By the way, do you guys ever wonder how much Jamie gets paid? She's with Harrison like what, 80 percent of the time? Is she going to school? Does she just want to be a nanny/awkward matchmaker her whole life? Who are you, Jamie Batista?"

Jamie Batista is a horrible, horrible character. Sorry for her fans but I just gotta say it again: horrible. She is way, way rude, a know-it-all, self centered, pushy, and ill-tempered. I would never want her watching my child, let alone pay her to be running him and my life 24/7 as she seems to do. Considering everything we know about Angel, Jamie is by contrast a good example of why Angel is such a push-over... I wish she would just go away already and that Dex would find a new nanny, but then a really good one that was not so self-absorbed would likely catch on to his secrets where Jamie is blind to everything so I guess we are stuck with her for this reason. She just rrrrrrrrreally bugs the crap outta me.

Nothing in this episode was a big surprise, but at least the pace was more back to normal with the plot unfolding. I like the idea of apprenticing Zach, but I have no doubt we have not seen the end of Quinn in possibly screwing that up.

Here's to hoping Hannah breathes some life of the unexpected into the remainder of the series. The potential for love-murderous-triangle between her, Dex and Deb is rich indeed. Good times ahead - I hope.
More+
Flag
I liked Hannah coming back at the end but I think overall this was the worst episode of the season.
Flag
You said a mouthful.

Forget Gitmo, put someone in a room with the voiceovers from this season and they'll be yelling 'uncle' in a half hour.
Flag
I usually don't pay much thought to the side stories in dexter but in this episode I can't help but wonder which was more laughable. Angel trying to decide who is going to promote to sergeant like it's sophie's choice when his choices are Quinn and an extra whose apparently a character now, who I don't even know her name or Matthews surprised look on his face to angel's line "Quinn has some good attributes" when Quinn proves exactly what they are, and that's his no sense of observation whatsoever, he see's dexter seconds after he sticks his syringe into zach''s neck and he drives off not suspecting a thing( this would have never happened to doakes) . honestly I can't decide .

And I gotta say I'm loving this all internship thing .
Flag
I think Quinn was hilarious: he was even smiling and waving at Dexter while driving off... lol
Flag
Quinn is great haha.
Flag
We don't get to see his feet and they're close by some bushes, presumably or apparently (can't reload it atm), cut them some slack. If we take everything at face value, Dexter could've jumped forward if Quinn wanted to investigate and asked him for a ride, or whatever, for example. Not sure why I'm trying to defend the writers here, still in love with the show (minus the killings). :-s
Flag
i see now how well the show end . deb kill hannah and the assh**l Zach well kill dexter and take the dark passenger and vogal well show more in upcoming
Flag
I hope the ending will be intricate and perhaps even unresolved (because, how else to end it); just not too much of a cliffhanger, if possible.
Flag
So how does Hannah keep getting in people's houses?
Flag
and spiking their drinks?
Flag
You're asking that when Dexter easily slips into peoples houses on a regular basis?
Flag
So it's that easy to buy lock picks?

Then again, I forgot for a second how stupid this show is.

Never mind!
Flag
This was a better episode. I am glad we have sort of moved past Dexter and Deb tension. I would be truly bored if the writers keep making their relationship goes back and forth. Now there seems to be progress and we can moved on to other storylines. I am glad about the direction of the show. Making Zach a disciple is quite interesting concept, I hope they explore more of it. I am very happy Hannah is back though I hope there is a good explanation of why she is not in jail?
Flag
Still waiting for Elway to impress Debra with stories from his time in the Belgium army.
Flag
Duh, ofc., that's who he is! Back on Earth now, tnx, lol.
Flag
I honestly hope Jamie ends up being some psycho bitch killer because it is the only way she will be worth watching on this show <.<
Flag
Glad hannah's back, I'm curious to see where her and Dexter's relationship will pick up after he chose Deb the first time. Love their chemistry together almost as much as I love Dex & Debs.

Other than that, this episode was fairly uninteresting. The Teen-Killer guy is ok but not too exciting. Quinn is now mad he didn't get the promotion; and nobody cares. Jamie is hot but serves no purpose, and tbh, the best line of the night goes to Harrison for "but daddy.. YOU lie!" I'm pretty sure the brain killer is still out there, so hopefully he kills Masuka or his money hungry daughter. I hope the sprint to the finish makes up for the last couple of middling episodes.
Flag
Anyone else is worried Harrison may get traumatized for what he might see/hear after Jamie invited Quinn over?

Flag
Yes.
Flag
How about his dad talking about he has to run because there's a homicide? Although he probably doesn't know what the word means now but still..
Flag
Yeah, I thought that too, but then again Dexter is not getting a Daddy of the year award...
Flag
He had to put up with watching all the previous episodes to get a feel for his character. If that didn't turn his brain to jelly, nothing will.
Flag
I liked this episode, but it honestly had too much Jamie/Quinn scenes, and even though I usually complain about them just being there and breathing, THERE ARE JUST A FEW AMOUNT OF MINUTES I CAN PHISICALLY TAKE OF THEM. Otherwise it becomes painful. This week = pure pain.
Aside from that there were a few good notes: Dexter taking in that creepy Zach kid was a new and very interesting turn of events that can either have a really good (considering we're talking about sociopaths) or really bad outcome. That being said, it should make enough tension to deliver one hell of a final (half) season.
Deb's tension with Elway is still weird to me, and my guess is that it'll either develop into the most boring relationship on TV or Elway is in reallity a big ol' psycopathic killer and will have a major role in the end. Hoping for the latter.
I guess we found out Cassie's reason to exist on next week trailer, so yeah... still don't care.

On the big stuff: HANNAH'S BACK. Yes. Finally. But letting my feeling aside, I do understand why they tried to pull Deb and Dexter together again so quickly while still dealing with their problems. Hannah appeared for about 20 seconds and already poisoned both Morgans so she's gonna wreak havoc.
More+
Flag
Meh, I like Quinn.
Flag
I don't, but the most painful to watch is Jamie. CAN SOMEBODY JUST KILL HER, PLEASE?
Flag
I love Jamie!
Flag
I can't stand her!
Flag
This episode just seemed to drag so much for me. So much of the same routine we've seen for 8 seasons now. The show did such a great job of finally shaking things up last season, and the first couple episodes of this one, and this episode felt like we were back in the dreck of Jimmy Smits and Invisible Adama.

Glad Hannah is back though. The chemistry between her and Dexter far eclipsed anything anyone on this show has had, save maybe Dex and Deb. Hope it's not just a one-off and we get a few episodes of great Dexter/Hannah interaction.
Flag
Am I the only one that didn't think that the foot guy was the brain surgeon guy? I really thought that was just a distraction and we would have more brains this episode. Bummer. I was kind of thinking that Dex would be his final kill, and Deb would kill the killer (or now, the intern will).

Did anyone really need more story out of Masuka? Can't we just keep him around for the donuts and the crude sex jokes? blah blah blah blah blah.

I will say, I'm so glad that this is almost over, because if I have to deal with another season of Angel never saying r's it might drive me over the edge. I also don't understand how he has a spanish accent in almost every latino name he prounces except Jamie. Which isn't usually pronounced like that in latino communities.

I also wish that LaGuerta would have been killed in season 1 like in the books, but Doakes would have lived on. HE would have been a far worthier adversary and made for a more dramatic previous season for me. Plus, he would have said mother f***er a lot more.

I am looking forward to seeing where they go with this. Hmmm.

More+
Flag
I'm yet not entirely sure the foot guy was the brain surgeon. If he was, that is one really bad writing.
Flag
I wonder if it is Dr. Vogel herself, and using foot-guy as a distraction/getting Dex to trust her to make her own army of coded killers! ok that would've been awesome buy yea knowing this show..
Flag
I like this muy mucho!
Flag
It's a very interesting theory... I like it.
Flag
So you're saying he was then?
You mean the way that the brain surgeon knew about Dexter (and thus sent His and Hers presents to Vogel) well before Dexter broke into his house and yet was still surprised to hear Vogel on the phone?

Or how the foot guy had multiple women to slowly kill and yet still found time to completely drop his MO and perform brain surgery on the side?

The problem with this show is we can never underestimate the stupidity of the writers...
Flag
Yes, the writers are not the best here...
Flag
I didn't like him for it either. Made little sense to me. But why have the bits of brain stopped arriving on Vogel's doorstep if it wasn't him?
Flag
she could've easily placed them herself (or sent)
Flag
I thought about that in the earlier episodes. Yeap, it's way more convincing that foot guy.
Flag
I don't know. Hopefully they'll bring it back
Flag
Best episode of the season for me..I'm finally excited for what's to come!looks like cassie is a goner which is a shame 'cause i love bethany joy lenz..Only 6 episodes left! :(
Flag
SHE IS BACK!!!!! and I could not be a happier.
Flag
I just recently got into dexter and have so far season 1-4(5 and 6 will be here tomorrow)and the first 5 episodes each season build up to something great.About episode 7 is when I start sitting on the edge of my seat.I obviously don't read the reviews for this season but from what i'm hearing maybey just give it time to really pick up?Can't really comment cause I don't know the storyline for this season.After the season 4 finale I can't wait to dive straight into season 5.I now love DEXTER!!!!
Flag
It goes downhill pretty fast from there on. I liked Julia Stiles and that plot in season 5,but season 6 is just a series kill. Starts great for about 3-4 episodes,but then hits rock bottom,only to smash that rock bottom and keep on going downward.
Flag
I know I should "care" for Masuka,Quinn,Jaime,every other "support" character,but I just don't give a f*ck about them and their scenes just feel forced into episodes.
Ok,Dex now has intern,but how will that work out? Quinn has his eye on kid and Dex and kid will be together out in public? Ok,it's Quinn he will never figure it out. I mean,ffs he is asking questions now how things are weird between Dex and Deb,but when LaGuerta died, no one seemed to care about their relationship...gimme a break...very sad I ever got into this show...oh Hannah is back...should I even care?!?! Had mixed feelings about her,let's see how they drag these last 6 episodes and I finally have my closure to this show and never coming back.
Flag
Phew. Thought I was watching a different show from everyone else.

This episode ****.

Oh how cute, boring as watching grass grow obvious voice-over Dexter has a mini-me to set up for a spin-off. Awwwwwwwwwwwwww, how sweet.

Oh, and doesn't anyone lock their doors in Miami?

6 more to go, bye bye bad show.
Flag
This episode was a snorefest but I still watch it. it's like.. cannot. turn.. eyes.. away...
Flag
I can't stop smiling at some of Hall and Carpenter's on-screen discussions, knowing that they are a former couple. For example this exchange in the kitchen:

Deb: Just like old times, huh? You, me, steak, beer.
Dex: It's been a while.
Deb: So, how are things?
Dex: Good. Great. You?
Deb: Fine. Better.
Dex: Good. I'm glad.
Deb: Me too.

Sounds like the first civil yet awkward talk between two people after a recent breakup. I bet some of the feelings they used to get into character for that scene came from their shared past.

Flag
I was thinking the same thing!
Flag
The episode should have been called "Missed Opportunities #237". Every time the writers give themselves an avenue to explore more deeply their principle characters' lives and experiences, we get sidetracked, this season with matchmaking and sergeant exams.

It irritated me to no end that, when Vogel suggested he work with Zach on the learning the code, Dexter didn't immediately say, "yeah, the last time I tried that, he still ended up in the drink with the rest."

Her suggestion opened the door to excellent character material between them to discuss what the experience was like; why it didn't work; does it mean it will never work with someone not named 'Dexter'.

Instead, it seems that Dexter has long-term memory issues through the writers ret-conning the series' other seasons, thereby eliminating Season 3 and Jimmy Smits excellent performances.

Unfortunately, this seems to be the writers' SOP.
Flag
The best episode of the season so far, but that's not a huge praise considering how bad the others were, IMHO. It built on the more alive Deb from lasts weeks episode, Dexter got to know a young psychopath-killer who cares for his mother, Harrison's actor was entertaining to watch and it ended with the return of the crazy and beautiful Hanna... although none of that was compelling enough to compensate for everything and everyone else (~half of the episode), which was pretty boring. Overall I think this was a decent episode, I just hope this means the worst part of this very disappointing final season is behind us.
Flag
Dexter is talking about teaching the code now , but the code is very simple , don't get caught is the most important part , and Dexter seems to have completely erase that of his memory.
How many people knows about his secrets now ? lumen , debra , vogel , hannah , zach ... and yet we don't feel any threat that he will be discovered soon , it feels like Dexter always gets away with everything , every mistake he made had no consequences.

this show is a perfect example of inconsistency over the years.there is a really big gap between season 1 and season 8 and it's really difficult to watch for me , every year it seems to be worse than the year before.

I am rewatching breaking bad from the beggining and it is still blowing my mind , and i remember a time when dexter was exactly like that , it was my favorite show and it seems so far away now.

Flag
Actually, I think the killing only the bad guys is the most important part.
Flag
Well, you have to not get caught in order to continue killing in general. :p
Flag
Guess Dexter will learn the hard way, never a good idea to take on an intern. As far as Hannah, guess I maybe in the minority, just never found her all that interesting, so I wasn't excited about her return.
Flag
Yeah as if Masuka's intern last season worked out so well huh :))) Come on dex.. And Hannah's return, how did she get out of jail? Well there's probably a super non believable story to that next week..
Flag
The thing that bothers me about Jamie is that whatever the writers do with her, it almost always involves her wearing clothes.
Flag
I really hope there's a better payoff to this whole Quinn-Batista-Jamie plot, otherwise, I shall curse this season for giving me this stupid storyline. If I had to watch all this crap about Quinn's sergeant's exam just so Jamie and Batista can fight a bit... Ugh. I guess I'm still holding out hope that Quinn dies soon... first they make him "good" by building him up to be on the straight-and-narrow, then they make him a bit of a victim by being screwed by Batista... he's gotta die, right? Maybe he'll keep following around Zach trying to prove his cops-manship, then Zach kills him. Then Dexter gets all distraught because he failed as a teacher; Batista will feel all guilty; Jamie will get all sad and leave Miami. Whatever.

Silly Masuka. I have no problem with you doing some background-checking on your donor-daughter but that was a pretty poor way to address what you found. Ah, well, I guess I can't exactly bash a guy for trying to be honest. Or maybe I can.

The Dexter-Zach storyline took a bit of an interesting turn for me. It's certainly more interesting than Dexter just killing him like all his other bad-guys-of-the-half-season. I kinda don't like his face, though... looks like a slimeball... he'll have to fail as a pupil and start killing good people.

Yay. Hannah FINALLY returns. I really hope the writers have something good in store for her and the story as a whole.
More+
Flag
Maybe everyone will turn out to be murderers... Quinn will kill Batista for passing him over for sergeant, and Jamie will kill Quinn for killing her brother. Before all that happens, Batista had killed Matthews for not giving him an easy way out, Masuka is killed by some hooker...
Flag
They can make it end like The Departed :)
Flag
Hehe, I actually had that thought for a while; that they could end the show with everybody killing each other with the most ridiculous and bizarre ending ever. Let's see if I can create a scenario...

Maybe it starts with Quinn getting drunk and killing Angie for taking his job. He gets all distraught over his actions and has a heated exchange with Batista. Then maybe they can recreate the Dexter-LaGuerta-Debra scene and have Quinn about to kill Batista but Jamie walks in, picks up a gun, but unlike Debra, Jamie chooses to kill her brother. Then Quinn gets killed by Zach because Zach had enough of Quinn's snooping. Dexter finds out and kills Zach. Jamie thinks Debra killed Quinn and tries to kill her. Dexter intervenes and kills Jamie. Cassie witnesses it but Dexter can't bring himself to kill Cassie, so Hannah appears and kills her. Debra gets drunk and tells Elway everything. Elway, to find out more about Dexter, speaks with Vogel. Vogel tricks Elway and kills him to protect Dexter. Debra gets enraged and kills Vogel. Another patient of Vogel's finds out and goes crazy and starts killing people, one of whom happens to be Masuka's daughter. Dexter and Deb try to find this guy and solve the case but Hannah shows up again and convinces Dexter to run away with her, but Deb gets all jealous and kills them both. Deb and Masuka eventually get married... then kill each other because both can't stand marriage. Captain Matthews stands alone at a golf course, wondering how he was in charge of such a terrible bunch of people.
More +
Flag
That almost works, good job.
Flag
I LOVE THIS.
Flag
I'm on board!
Flag
Who's the second person that deb killed? I can'r for the life of me remember and it's driving me insane
Flag
The hitman, back in episode 2 of this season
Flag
oooohh that was bugging me . thanks!
Flag
"By the way, do you guys ever wonder how much Jamie gets paid? She's with Harrison like what, 80 percent of the time? Is she going to school? Does she just want to be a nanny/awkward matchmaker her whole life?"

Yes, I think about that every episode. It's the show's biggest mystery.
Flag
Me too actually, it crosses my mind A LOT.
Flag
And how moronic is she? Oh, wait she's dating Quinn... 'nuff said.
Flag
We all know this will be the spin-off, right?
Flag
the news about a dexter's spin off was amazing , like a joke.but yes maybe it will be super nanny in miami
Flag
"Batista P.I"

The only good spin-off would be if Dexter dies and it cuts to Orlando where Cody and Astor inherit all of Dexter's belongings and take up killing people themselves.
Flag
I hate that Hannah tried to kill Deb. I love Deb. She needs to be killed. Not a fan of Zack either. I don't see him the same way as I do Dexter. I will miss this show when it ends.
Flag
A solid episode. I'm interested to see how the writers will prioritise and intertwine the Vogel/ Zach/ Hannah storylines leading up to the series finale. It'll definitely be hard work for all of these threads to work well together and pay off in the finale. Hannah worked great last season though, and thus far Zach's story, as you said story, is compelling, now it's only Vogel I'm worried about.

I think Sam Underwood is fine so far as Zach, but I wouldn't call him 'sufficiently off-putting', but rather weird-looking.

I knew you would be pleased with Hannah's return Cory, a great way to amp up that tension you so long for between Dexter and Deb. I still wish that it had been more surprising though, I mean, in the context of the episode it was, but as a Dexter fan I knew she was coming back for a while now and most predicted it would be around this time in the season.
Flag
Did the supporting actors blackmail the writers into giving them more screen time or something for the final season because everytime one of the side plots shows up I want to scream.
Flag
It is phisically painful for me to watch Batista/Jamie/Quinn/Masuka. Not even gonna calculate the pain when they're ALL THERE.
Flag
do you still like the main plots ? because i really find debra and dexter's plot really boring so far.for dexter it feels like deja vu all over again , and debra's new job is really not exciting
Flag
Jaime Jamie needs to die already. She's annoying. So does Masuka's storyline. Give Harrison a storyline, it'd be more interesting (and, yes, brilliantly acted) than Masuka's daughter.
I loved the steak scene between Deb 'n Dex. We always talk about how great the chemistry is between Hall and Carpenter but think of scenes with conflict between them when they also have awesome comedic timing. "This tastes like asshole." I laughed.
Flag
Harrison had a storyline! You mean the remote control shenanigans didn't have you on the edge of your seat? Why do you even watch this show?!
Flag
I was on the edge of my seat! The only thing better would have been if the pieces of the remote were wrapped in garbage bags...
Flag
That was also pretty sloppy body dumping on Dexter's part. I mean, the dumpster?
Flag
True. I would have also loved it if he would have dismembered and bagged the stuffed dog...
Flag
The episode was so-so for me, nothing exciting happened.

Why is so much time being spent on Jamie anyway? Does anyone really care about her? Also Dexter trying to be a parent felt awkward. Zach is off the charts creepy. (just throwing that out there) And does anyone else think that he is going to kill Cassie? At least the promo sure made it look that way....

Kind of dissapointed about Deb's boss though? So he is not a serial killer? He has been giving off this weird vibe since the very beginning. I think it's all in my head guys! LOL
Flag
he will kill cassie , or dexter will save her at the last moment , but now we know why she suddenly appears on the show , it wasn't only for dating dexter but to be a victim.
So maybe masuka's daughter is not here like that for no reason , maybe the writers have another boring twist coming ...
Flag
Yeah, Cassie's dead, count on it.
I do have the same weird vibe about Elway, it's not just you, I still think he's some sort of psycho
Flag
The best part of the episode was the return of Hannah, everything else was meh.And I have this feeling that the writers don't know what exactly to do for the last season.
Flag
I liked the episode, but I think my favorite quote was when Deb said, "Sorry Cow!"
Flag
I giggled something fierce at that line
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members