A Dexter Community
Showtime (ended 2013)

Dexter S08E08: "Are We There Yet?"

You guys know that I've criticized this final season of Dexter for having a lot of interesting stories going on at once, but cutting some of them off at the knees before they truly get going. It's been a frustrating run, full of stops and starts that, in the moment, don't make a lick of sense. But in all honesty, we had a good idea of where things were likely headed: All roads lead to Vogel. Since the first or second episode, some of you have been proposing grand theories in the comments about Vogel's actions dating back to Harry's death, and it's not like I didn't suggest she would play a bigger role a few times along the way. Nevertheless, the last few episodes and shiny new toys like Zach and Hannah have turned up the noise in Dexter's story and distracted from the bigger picture. Vogel cannot be trusted and she's either personally carrying out the brain extraction murders, or she's strongly influencing the person (or people) who are. It's that simple.

What made "Are We There Yet?" a mostly strong episode was that Vogel zoomed back to the forefront, only making it more obvious that all the diversions and stalled developments were at least partially her doing. Is it stupid that Deb got over her problems and made up with Dexter in rapid fashion? Absolutely. But who made that happen in the show's world? Vogel. And then she effectively convinced Dexter and Hannah to stick it out together, praising their relationship to a creepy degree, even though it makes really no sense for them to keep going unless they simply want to get caught.  

And thenby the end of tonight's episode, Zach—Dexter's promising and interesting intern—had had his head cracked open and part of his brain removed, effectively ending yet another intriguing story too early. The idea that Zach would actually follow Harry's code without Dexter fully instructing him in it could have made for compelling TV, but nope, that's done. And guess who was the last person we saw with Zach before Dexter found his body? Yeah, Vogel. It sure seems like she played some role in this latest death, which means she probably framed Zach to begin with. The end of the episode made it seem like she was still receiving brain parts, but there was also that weird transition where Dexter picked up the mysterious phone that'd been left at the scene, and then Vogel was on the phone in the next second. I'm not saying she's absolutely the killer, but she's involved, just like she's been involved in screwing everything up all along. 

This is one of those tricky situations where I can't necessarily blame the show for plodding along and setting up these little moments where Vogel's manipulation is clear, but its impact isn't. Even though we all knew from the Season 8 premiere that Vogel was going to play a big role in the show's endgame, the writers played it slow (and really, they still are, in some ways). BUT, just because Vogel's involvement is ramping up again and some stories make a little more sense in retrospective, I *can* blame Dexter for being a little flaccid in putting everything together. The peril of episodic reviews is that you're always fighting against the season or the series as a larger entity, so what looks stupid in one episode might end up making loads of sense later. Yet, bad episodes are bad episodes, and Season 8 has been stuck in a rhythm where all the dumb stuff suddenly works for 20 minutes, only to turn dumb again. Rinse and repeat. 

The good news is that, with only four episodes to go, Dexter is running out of time to pad the story, or keep certain motives under the radar. Whatever the details of Vogel's final plan are, I feel mostly confident in guessing that she's going to try to take away everything Dexter loves. Not only because that's what characters like her do on shows like this, but because she's got a real infatuation with our main dude. If Zach's dead because he got too close to Dexter, it doesn't totally make sense that Deb is still alive unless there's an even more nefarious plot in play, but it seems likely that Vogel's going to target Hannah, or at least try to drive a wedge between Hannah and Dexter. She was supportive in "Are We There Yet?" but it has to be a ploy, just like her relationship with Deb has to be a ploy, or none of this really makes sense. 

Ultimately, Dexter needs to get Vogel more involved. Without her actions as catalysts, the remaining crucial characters are getting a little boring. Deb spent most of the hour with not a whole lot to do other than throw her hands up in the air once she learned that her worst dream had come true (Dex and Hannah getting back together), but even that realization didn't send her teetering over the edge, which is where the show needs her to be. Meanwhile, Dexter and Hannah spent the duration of this episode making lusty eyes at each other, which makes sense but isn't particularly engaging; it was more inevitable than anything else. Their sex scene dragged on far too long—there's generally something off about the sex scenes on Dexter; they lack any semblance of passion—and even their final re-connection on the pier didn't have a whole lot of energy. Their romantic tension was awkward last year as well, but watching them circle one another this week felt even more so. 

Vogel's actions have derailed the season's best burgeoning stories or character moments. Now I'm just hoping that whatever is in store for her, or whatever is caused by her, can make up for that in the show's final four hours. 

EXCESS BLOOD SPLATTER

– Jamie took Cassie's death pretty hard and Quinn didn't even care. Jamie actually made a good point about Quinn's relationship with Deb, but I'm not sure that's leading to something, so it just reinforces that Quinn's a tool and Jamie needs to escape Miami ASAP.

– I gotta be honest: I watched this episode twice and I can't even tell you whether Masuka or his topless daughter were in it. So that story is going very well.

– "My name is Harrison": The line that true second-generation serial killers are made of. 

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 9/22/2013

Season 8 : Episode 12

342 Comments
Comments (362)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
The fact that the sex scenes are awkward does kind of fit with the fact that Dexter is a psychopath and doesn't experience emotion in the same way as others - that said it should be awkward or passionless because that is a choice, and it is not clear if that is the case.

I love Vogel. Charlotte Rampling is a fantastic actress and I'm enjoying her character development.

Quin, as usual, is being a douche.
Flag
I actually like Zach this episode, to bad he is gone.
Flag
It's not a review when everything you do is speculate. Gee.
Flag
So, at this time tomorrow, there will only be THREE stinkerooneo shows left!

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Flag
I hate everything about this season! Just end it and be done!
Flag
HEY KrazeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeEyezKilla!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GUESS YOU MISSED THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hate everything about this season! Just end it and be done!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

XOXO
Flag
Only four more. Well, to paraphrase Seinfeld, Sunday is almost here and then it's only three more and the agony will be over.

Oh happy happy joy joy.
Flag
Hey, wudntulik2know, you're a dickhead!
Flag
Is everyone else who hates this stinko show?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

XOXO
Flag

(Sorry if that wasn't a reply to whatever you wrote, but I've trained my brain not to read any comments with your name above it.)
Flag
I loved seasons 1-6, but the acting, the continuity is just shot to sh!t... it annoys me how bad it is compared to season 4 (which I see as the peak!)
Flag
For a second there I thought it was going to get REALLY interesting. The moment Quinn showed the picture of Zach to the lover of Cassie and asked if he has ever seen him, I though he was going to say something like : "Yes I saw him with Dexter at his appartment." Which I thought would set things in motion for the discovery of who Dexter really is to the world. But no.

One of the promotional posters of Dexter season 8 shows Dexter with red wires all leading to him and everyone around him looking suspicious. I thought that the discovery of who Dexter really is was what this season was going to be about, not about another serial killer which I don't care about. Maybe they'll get to that in the few episodes left, I seriously hope so. Otherwise that poster is extremely misguiding :/
Flag
As a psychopath ( def someone lacking empathy and incapable of nurture)
Dexter is quite the romantic....W T F
This show deserves the death penalty
Its so boooooring now !
Flag
You said it.
Flag
Flag
Overall this was another good episode of Dexter =) It had many great and memorable moments but also had plenty of bad and forgettable ones. The best and most engaging scenes and conversations were the ones with Dexter and Hannah, particularly when they were alone (although the sex scene was a bit overlong). The "Are we there yet?" line was funny to hear Zach say, even though it was the title of the episode. The other half of the episode wasn't totally bad, since the boring secondary characters had very little screen-time, except Jamie and Quinn.

Dr. Vogel was creepier than usual and said some great lines during that awkwardly amusing dinner, but her character is so underdeveloped that she has become uninteresting to watch, at least for me. All we know is that she studys psychopaths and created the "Harry's Code". What about her personal life? Does she have friends, colleagues, family? Like Hannah asked: how did she get interested in the study of psychopaths? Hannah's perplexed face also reflected how I felt after Vogel's non-response. We shouldn't have so many questions about a crucial character with only 4 episodes left, especially when those are the last ones of the 8th and last season of a series!

And what about the Brain surgeon? Who's he/she? What motivates him/her to do what he/her does? Why incriminate Zack just to kill him next? Did he/her want Dexter to kill Zack and then killed him because Dexter didn't? Why? I'm worried that, at this point, it's still possible that the last of Dexter's villains could be even worse than awful Travis! I'm also worried that the writers kept Hannah in Miami -- which makes total sense to me, since she loves Dexter and was just waiting for him to ask her to stay, even if that means risking getting arrested or killed by a psychopath, and he loves her more than any woman before and couldn't just let her go and not see her ever again -- just to kill her off, instead of using her character to help Dexter catch the "Brain Surgeon" and finally be free of the urge to kill. We'll have to wait and see... but I'm extremely worried about the last 4 episodes...
More+
Flag
Cassie was probably murdered by her boyfriend otherwise why is he getting so much screen time
Flag
Exactly. They couldn't make that any more obvious.
Flag
I knew something big was going to happen when they all got together to have dinner at Vogel's place. I mean, WHO makes such a huge mince pie (or whatever that was -- was I the only one wondering what kind of meat was that??) to eat alone? Of course she was expecting them! She planned everything! Vogel's involved somehow and I loved her from the very beginning. You can tell she's mental...
Anyhow, I'm enjoying this last season so far, although it's extremely slow paced even for Dexter's terms. Yes, I totally agree that they have great stories that get cut off too early. It seems to me that they were planning at least a couple of seasons more... Imagine: a whole season for Dexter to teach Zach his Code...only to find him DEAD head open brain cut at the very last 25 seconds of the Season. Next season (the final one), Vogel comes up and hell on Earth begins.
I also love Debra (couldn't fit that into a normal sentence, sorry).
Flag
And I thought that the show is turning to comedy.
It was really hilarious having much psychopaths in one room. really hilarious!
Flag
Lol
Flag
I was totally disappointed that Hannah's new passport name wasn't Sarah Walker, that would've been epic. "I guess I look like a Sarah"
Flag
I was SO hoping for that!
Flag
I think Quinn killed Cassie in order to frame Zach, which is just stupid, but everything about this season is stupid. Quinn is the only person who would want to frame Zach. They made a point of saying the killer would have known her to get inside the apartment. Quinn showing Dexter photos of the two crime scenes was like him asking if his work looked like Zach's. Ugh so stupid. And don't get me started on Vogel. This is the worst season since Jimmy Smits.
Flag

When I red this first I thought Quinn wasn't THAT dirty a cop and definitely not smart enough to pull it off but I guess we will know if he is surprised by the bloodwork which Dexter has faked. If Quinn gets it retested or kicks a fuss, he'll be the one... And maybe he'll be on Dexter's trail again?

Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
To me it was obvious that only Vogel could have set up Zach (directly or using a killer to do the deed) as only she (and Dexter & Zach) knew for sure about Zach being responsible for the Rivera murder and could have copied the murder AND added Zach's blood. So once Dexter discovered that Zach had been set up, how could he not see that Vogel was behind it so her intentions towards Zach were not to protect him.
Flag
I did exactly think the same thing! Vogel has it in it too, she is surrounded by killers and for some reason is fascinated by them. The only thing is how did she kill Zach, maybe as you say had someone to do the deed for her. but then why she is manipulated Dexter to "mentor" Zack... and why did she kill an innocent person to only frame Zach only to kill him afterall?

Flag
Yep I did wonder that too - all I can think is that he is putting Dexter, perhaps his top / fav subject, under different pressures to see how he reacts? She did say she thought he was perfect so perhaps she's setting to crack that? I get the feeling Dr. Vogel would prefer a Dexter without emotional connections ie no Deborah, no Hannah and she only wants to meet them to examine how she can drive a wedge between them and Dexter... Just a theory, probably a wrong one...
Flag
Cory, do you have any interest in starting a speculation thread that includes spoilers? As I noted, TV Guide nearly gives away everything and unless TPTB behind Dexter are paying them to mess with our tiny little minds...well, I can't say any more.
Flag
Flag
And Whatculture! Big spoiler. Looks like lots of folks are as sick of this show as those with a brain in their head are, and can't wait to spread false rumors or spoil how it really ends.
Flag
Flag
I believe it was the best episode of Dexter in season 8. It gave me goosebumps to watch the dinner scene. Everything felt natural. They are like one perfect dysfunctional family, full or killers. Lol. The grandma, the father, the mother, and the son. That is why, it was so shocking to find out that Zach was murdered. This show could have ended on a happy note, but sadly it wasn't supposed to be. Because it's Dexter. This episode is just brilliant.

I really really hope Dr. Vogel is not the brain surgeon, because I like her character for the way she is now. And the chemistry between Dexter and Hannah is so great.

I'm suspicious of Cassie's boyfriend though.
Flag
Cassie could have been killed by Zach's father who had motive to frame him and access to Zach's stuff. The brain surgeon could be deputy chief Tom who goes way back with Harry, Vogel, and Dexter, and was constantly looking the other way when all evidence pointed to Dexter. Vogel is driven by curiosity only and she seems to have very vague sense of justice but Tom is different. May be he created the code in order to kill killers with a killer. The message he's trying to send is that 'killers should only be killed. The only killer I approve of is Dexter.'
Flag
She also could have been killed by Laura Palmer's father - or the Log Lady.

This show is so over.
Flag
Flag
There has to be something going on with Quinn. He was giving so much more storyline this season. I would not be surprised if he was the one who framed Zach. Zach's death was premature even thought I did not really enjoy the storyline that him and dexter had. Vogul has some dark secrets, hopefully that will resolve soon. I'm still waiting on Deb's hook up with her PI guy... when is that going to happen?!
Flag
I don't care what the people on here or the reviewer says, negative, positive or otherwise. I keep watching the show, because I enjoy it. Simple as that. I look forward to it, and will miss it when it's gone.
Flag
My sentiments exactly.
Flag
After Season 3 with Miguel Prado, i think that the writers have been smoking too many colitas and forgot. Why would Dexter take on an intern/disciple, after the third season it just doesn't make any bloody sense. Dexter is getting too soft in his old age and that's whats gonna get him caught...It gonna be worth it for Dexter, at least he dies like a human (possibly with Hanna) and his dark passenger would be finally released. THEY CAN ALWAYS LEAVE IT OPEN WITH HARRISON DISPLAYING DARK SIDE CHARACTERISTICS LIKE HIS CHILDHOOD DAD, AND AUNTY DEB CAN TRAIN AND TEACH HARRISON TO BE THE ULTIMATE KILLER (who knows what Vogel is doing, saying or influencing Debbie to do).
(This Zach thing...i gotta admit, that this would have had GREAT potential earlier...why did you writers kill off Zach??? Seriously that was totally unacceptable considering that this twist would have made an excellent story line. PLUS we kinda liked him as Dexter's intern).
Flag
It doesn't make sense that Vogel killed Zach because him and Dexter were getting close. It was her idea afterall. I think there's still an independent killer in the wild and why didn't you mention who killed Cassie? My main suspect is Quinn (the only one who wanted to frame Zach).
Flag
I really hope the writers actually do have an ounce of creativity left in their bones with this show and throw us a real and plausible curve ball. How about Quinn being Vogel's son and being the brain surgeon? Obviously Vogel is involved with/as the BS but what of this Oliver cat? The lazy way out would have him be the BS but someone like Quinn who has been amongst us so to speak for a long time...also there are a few things working in that direction that make it possible, Last season his girlfriend Nadia just up and leaving for Vegas, the previous season or was it S5 where he was on Dexter's case and dropped it for Deb. His attitude around Jamie...who knows, just something to surprise us, Jamie probably killed Cassie anyway...LOL
Flag
The writers actually didn't seem to be morons on The Writer's Room - then again, it could be they are better actors than writers.

Only four more, and I can't wait to see if the TV Guide is right.
Flag
Flag
I've been one of those who thought from early on Vogel is the brain surgeon or at least involved, until this episode.
Whilst that may seem odd I think the writers are taking a different tact from earlier seasons where in "twists" were blindingly obvious from far too early on. I think they are now trying to point to ideas of Vogel too overtly now.

Last week the same obvious pointings towards the boyfriend of Cassie had me believing they were once again failing to hide their twists before they were revealed. That turned out to be misdirection and I think they are doing the same here.
The end of the episode was far too blatantly screaming "Vogel is the big bad", especially with her driving Zach home that I think it would be Gellar-esque facepalm worthy material to think it a twist the Vogel really is behind it all.

....Having thought it over I now realise that I'm probably wrong and it is as obvious as they are making it. Oh Dexter please prove me wrong and make the final episodes worthy of your best.

On that note I think they need to stop the feeling that this is just another season and start working towards a good ending, one that has more resonance that just through this season 8 and it's revelations.

All around a good episode but I hope they start building to a good ending from the next.

More+
Flag
Did anyone else notice at the start of the episode when Dexter and Masuka were at the crime scene, Masuka accused Oliver of being Cassie's killer, and the next shot shows Bastita talking to Oliver in the exact same room! Why not tell suspects straight to their face they you think they killed their girlfriend.

That was seriously just as bad as the bartender/ Harrison incidents last week.
Flag
I'm pretty sure this synopsis gives away The Brain Surgeon. If you're interested, http://www.tvguide.com/tvshows/dexter-2013/episode-11-season-8/monkey-in-a-box/283488
Flag
EXcellent. Thank you Prsnl_Stylst.
Flag
Flag
Wow, major spoilers in the rest of the episode descriptions on that site, PS, plus one here, which makes me think the writers are toying with our tiny little brains:

MAJOR SPOILER FOR THOSE WHO WANT TO BE SURPRISED

http://whatculture.com/tv/tv-review-dexter-8-8-are-we-there-yet.php
Flag
Flag
huh... that's interesting. Oliver Sack's son. I was thinking maybe he's even Vogel's son? But I'm usually pretty off with these things.
Flag

Oh yes I was really beginning to like Zach and thought he could be a good apprentice. I agree that was a story that end prematurely but the writers probably did not have much time left to explore it now that the series is ending. They should have intro him last season. Masuka daughter did appear in the lab and I was thinking perhaps she could play a part in finding out about Dex but then again I kind of remember 2 side characters that appear in the lab last 2 seasons and they had nothing to do with the main plot. I know that is a big weakness with this series.
Flag
Agreed! I was beginning to like Zach as a kind of geeky needy kid trying so hard to impress Dexter... The scene in the car with Hannah and Dexter at the front and Zach sitting in the middle at the back was hilarious, I thought they were going to start singing some show tune
Flag
I must say this is the best episode of the season. I kind of disagree with Cory saying Dex and Hannah had no chemistry. Infact I think that is one of the best thing of this season. They are like long lost lovers wanting each other so much and yet seems both felt they are not good for each other. Now I am rooting for both of them + Harrison to retire nicely somewhere.

I thought Vogel was the killer but after watching next week promo, I have my doubts again. Vogel being the killer would be too obvious.

2 of my all time favorite series are ending, the other being Breaking Bad. I really hope at least 1 of them will end well for the main character.
Flag
The brain surgeon's got to be Vogel. It's so obvious. That dinner recalls everyone Hannibal, right? It's her subconscious that want to be stopped by Dexter.

Episode notes:
- My name is Harrison and I'm drawing a zombie. Geez, Jamie, you might lose your 13th month bonus on this one.
- "Public servant", Elway, really? Seems to be me Dexter's have a very cosy life and can afford to have a fake passport made in less than 24 hours. I mean, that's got to be very expensive, right?
- I really start to like Zach all along this episode, especially his way of saying "dude" to Dexter. And he's got his brain cut out. Shame on you, writers!
- Gosh, Dexter and Hannah strip in a flash of light. And euw ... ... Michael C Hall does seem a little chunky, don't you think?
Flag
I don't think Dexter is getting chunky, though he isn't the ripped and buff guy he was 6 or 7 years ago...but, hey, I wouldn't kick him out of bed!
Flag
I just wanted to say I think it's ridiculous Dexter is rated higher than Breaking Bad on this site, I only watch Dexter because people say it's amazing, but I just don't see it, for me the only good thing about Dexter is the actual character of Dexter, that's all it has going for it.
Flag
Dexter has put out AS much amazing material as Breaking Bad, or arguably more. They're both incredibly unique, maybe Dexter even more-so. I love BB, but I doubt Walt & Co would be AS interesting if they lasted 8 seasons.

I'm thrilled Dexter lasted this long, I'd take seasons 5-8 of Dex over a lot of the garbage on TV!!! Both Dexter and Breaking Bad deserve their due credits... And their endings, good or bad, shouldn't tarnish the legacy of both shows, IMO.
Flag
I hope you mean to say that people SAID it was Amazing, as in past tense. First 4 seasons were excellent, right up there with Breaking Bad, since then it's been mediocre at best, pretty much mailed it in. Shame really. Only reason the score is so high is it got a ton of 10s early on and no one has bothered to re-evaluate their score.
Flag
It USED to be amazing, in about 3 seasons.

Now it's a steaming pile.

Oh, and the only good thing about Dexter is that it will gone off the face of the earth in 4 weeks.
Flag
Flag
A D+ from the AV Club. And that's a bad review, trust me. They like EVERYthing.

Guess they're smarter than I thought.
Flag
Flag
i said vogel was doing this all along, but people were like...thats too obvious.

maybe she has brainwashed deb and deb is the brain scoop killer. hah
Flag
also, i said last week that zach had to die...but then i liked him in the ep and then they killed him off. hah oh well.

i thought maybe quinn killed the next door neighbor chick to frame zach too. but i don't think he's that crazy, he's just dumb
Flag
Vogel is to Obvious suspect, Well i knew that professor Gellar wasnt real from begining so i dont think Dexters producers can suprise with some shoking twist.

I think it was Louis all along , rember him guy who got bullet in head and who was messing with dexter, i think some how he survived and turned into insane psychopat who manipulated Vogel all along. As for jamie it was revenge to her Louis wanted make her suffer.

Or brain surgeon is Masuka, Mathews, or Deb's Boss.

Or Debra is Brain Surgeon all along since Rudy tried to kill her.Who would ever suspect her ?

Or Masukas doughter with help from Louis.

Or Sgt. James Doughs :D just kidding

Quinn - possible.

Flag
Masuka's daughter is atleast involved with the murders. I'm calling it :P
Flag
if she doesn't have a more important part, then what is the point of that storyline...other than to give the secondary characters some sort of story resolution.
Flag
What's been the point of most of the ancillary storylines? The writers don't care, why should we.
Flag
Flag
Or to be a victim. Or to be the one that busts Dexter now that she's working in the lab with them.
Flag
if someone is gonna bust dexter, it has to be someone more important than her.
Flag
This episode was different... in a good way. I totally should have hated all whole serial killer family dinner scenario, but it worked for me in the end, it was refreshing. Sure Zach was the overzealous son, and Vogel the snappy yet kind grandmother, all which should induce an eye rolling at all of the clichés, but it didn't.

I can honestly say I do not understand your infatuation with Vogel, Cory. You say that 'she was supportive in "Are We There Yet?" but it has to be a ploy, just like her relationship with Deb has to be a ploy, or none of this really makes sense', but when has Vogel herself ever made sense as a character. Her motivations are yet to be revealed so I guess it's hard to gauge on that front, but she's completely contradictory, and with so many questions (why approach Dexter? Why pretend to be assaulted by killer to get his help? Why help his and Deb's relationship? Why convince Dexter to save Zach, only to kill him?) I'm worried, as I thought you might be, that whenever her 'truth' is revealed we're going to be severely let down with the series of nonsensical answers we receive, especially in regards to her and the brain surgeons motivations. So no, Dexter doesn't need 'to get Vogel more involved' because 'whatever is in store for her, or whatever is caused by her, CAN'T make up for that in the show's final four hours'.

On Cassie's murderer: Either Vogel is or is working with the brain surgeon, why would they set Zach up as Cassie's killer? To get Dexter to kill him? And if so, why? It wasn't as if he was a threat to them or anything. It just seems like a lot of effort for nothing, since Vogel could have out rightly convinced Dexter to kill him episodes ago without much suspicion. It's all just very weird, and illustrates my point above perfectly.

When they were discussing who would want to frame Zach, the thought crossed my mind that it was possibly Quinn... but no way would the writers dare make Quinn Cassie to put Zach behind bars, because that would be interesting.
More+
Flag
I need to learn how to undress as fast as Dexter and Hannah. That scene was hilarious. Bras, underwear, watches and belts are yesterday!
Flag
I am not going to read this or another future review from you Mr Barker.
I am writing this only to ask one question:

Why is TV.COM assigning a guy who seems like he doesn't any more like a show (Dexter) and I wonder if he ever did, to write reviews for it?
All you do in every review is winning and bitching about the shows wrongs and even if they are there on the show, I would definitely prefer a different approach, from a more positive angle maybe? For what reason should I come in here and read about a show I like all those negative things?
Flag
AGREED. If Mr. Barker is so spot on, and the show "blows," then why does TV.com feature a review about it weekly?

Clearly, because it's one of the most popular and highly rated shows on television. Duh.

I'm so over the whiners, if you don't like the show, then shut up and stop watching. Why are you reading articles about a show you don't even enjoy? LOL, Get a life, people!
Flag
Because Mr. Barker is spot on and the show blows.

Everyone should know that by now.
Flag
True but someone who is more of a fan would probably be more positive about it.
Flag
I kinda liked Zach, the part in the car"Are we there yet" was a good part and would make a good premise for a murder family spin-off.
Flag
Quinn is the brain surgeon. He has always been like a dexter#2 for Vogel. That's why he's always been close to dexter and sometimes add some winks like "i know what you're doing".

Biggest plot twist eveeeer!
Flag
i thought maybe quinn killed the next door neighbor chick to frame zach too. but i don't think he's that crazy, he's just dumb
Flag
I am curious though, the lack of emotion to his girlfriend about her friend dying.... that seems very psycopath like to me.
Flag
Am I crazy here or did anyone else get a little feeling that Quinn may have killed Cassie to set up Zach? It just seems lately that he's been obsessed with catching Zach. He has been tailing him. It would have been easy for him to put that piece of metal under the door handle then get Zach's blood to plant on the body. I may be way off but the Spidey senses started tingling.
Flag
I saw that, i'm surprised it wasn't mentioned in the review. But somehow it felt too obvious and I also don't think Quinn is capable of killing. I know he was pissed about not getting promoted and he connects that failure directly with Zach but he wouldn't bludgeon an innocent just to frame him and prove himself right, in my opinion.
Flag
Yea you're right. I just got that really weird feeling about him for some reason. And this late in the season, it would be too much of a dramatic change of character.
Flag
Yep and from the looks of the 'next week...' bit at the end they will mostly be focusing on Quinn being a cheating dirt bag with Deb! He can't have two massive fails in one episode!
Flag
Oliver is provably Vogul's son, and he is probably the brain surgeon acting on Vogul's behalf. I first thought Quinn set Zach up, and he very well may have still, but something went wrong.
Flag
Flag
We started to invest in Zach this episode... naturally they killed him just because.

(In fact i somehow knew he was about to die , i was like " wow, they made him interesting ...even funny in this episode...i bet they will kill him next" and there you go)
I don´t understand why the bipolar writing , the show used to have structure and sense: when they added a character was because it was intended to enrich and develop the main story. As a narrative resource is ok to be random when a show is starting but certainly not in the final season when everything should fall into place.
Yes, Vogel is a complex character but that complexity lies ironically in the mystery product of her lack of development (from a story point of view), Mrs Rampling get away with it because she´s know for playing mysterious/cold women but even so Vogel deserved more than that ( we certainly do).
About the sex scene, yes it was super akward for sure but that´s good because two serial killers in love trying to show some sort of untrusting affection is certainly the weirdest thing ever, so well done imo, although the scene it self was a bit long it made sense showing how atypical Dexter mind is as a serial killer: Yes, he have a very weird emotional patterns but still he´s capable of feeling affection in his own terms.
(BTW Michael C Hall have a great ass, who knew? lol )
Vogel being the actual (or only) killer would be to obvious and lineal. My money is in the brain surgeon being in fact a Vogel´s long time patient after all yet someone who we all know as a secondary character too (maybe a former character from a former season...Vogel is a psycopath expert after all, isnt she?). Obviously a man most likely, someone with enough strenght to perform such thing but smart enough to kill under Vogel´s supervision.
Let´s think : They killed Zach as a message to Dexter therefore is about vengance. Is Vogel the mother of one of Dexter´s victims? Or is she helping out a thirth party to take revenge on Dex for the sake of scientific curiosity?
Which was the biggest kill from previous seasons? One who worth to be avenged via Vogel? It has to be the "typical good guy you would never suspect having such cold blood". It would be interesting : Dexter learning that the most normal person he knows (even love) is actually a more skilled psyco than himself, one that just like him is hidding in plain sight since day one.
More+
Flag
I'm thinking Cassie's new boyfriend is the brain surgeon. It makes sense to me. He and Vogel can keep an eye on Dexter while being discrete. Also, how do you NOT remember seeing Zach???? Dexter introduced him. One thing that I don't understand are Vogel's actions, why bother?? what's the endgame??
Flag
Well it seems I didn't see the he is her son part coming. In my defense, there was no mention of her family ever.
Flag
Don't bullshit me. Dexter is looking for Vogel. We got to know her, some liked her, and then she turned. It's a cliche, but no mystery.
Flag
how about the twist is Harry is still alive and is the brain surgeon following Vogels directions..
Flag
I was really happy to see this episode cut back on all the side stories. It focused on the bigger picture and a lot of progress was made in telling the main story arc. Simple and straight to the point, just like some of the older episodes.
Flag
You reap what you sow.
A killer-seed might have been planted in the form of deceased Cassie's
seemingly innocuous boyfriend Oliver Saxon. He's been inserted into quite a few scenes, at the same time he was quickly dismissed by Mazuka as not being a possible perpetrator nor did Saxon remember seeing Zach. In addition Darri Ingolfsson(Oliver) has his merits as an actor. Let's see if the prediction holds true.
Flag
I think the Brain Surgeon is Jason Cole from Do No Harm. He's pissed his show got cancelled and is suffering from the effects of that untested drug.
Flag
OK so I skimmed your review and here goes. The awkwardness between Dexter and Hannah is fitting because there still is a little mistrust between the two and they know their actions don't just affect each other. Dexter wants Hannah back in his life but she's a wanted felon( Dexter's fault btw), his sister wants to kill her, then there's Harrison, and let's not forget Dexter is not used to having genuine feelings for someone. How could it not be awkward?
Flag
I actually enjoyed this episode a lot. But the writers will almost certainly piss everybody off with the reveal of the brain-surgeon. Dr Vogel & Deb's boss would be too obvious.
Cassie's boyfriend would be lame since nobody remembers his face and certainly not his name, Masuka's daughter would be a stupid unnecessary twist.
They can go with a yet unrevealed psychopath, created by Dr. Vogel. But can you really end a show with a killer that you haven't even revealed in the 8th episode? There are some theories about Quinn, Jamie, Batista or even Dexter being the BS. But common nobody is waiting for that reveal..
Flag
I had a vision of Dr. Vogel on Dexter's table from the first time she told Dexter she needed his help. She is just too enthusiastic about serial killers.
Flag
I started this episode wanting Zach dead. Then it turns out he didn't murder the second girl. "Are we there yet?" was a fitting episode title because that's how I felt about Dexter not taking care of Zach.

I was back onboard the Zach train when he provided an alibi. I even laughed at his "are we there yet?" comment in the care ride. Hannah cleaning up for Dexter was kinda funny. They must enjoy cleaning up after one another ;)

The best comment of the night cmes from Dexter seeing Hannah and Deb together "oh good you two haven't killed each other yet."

Vogel is the Bain Surgeon she was being very controlling during dinner and she had Zach's brain piece in a jar before the night was out, she just couldn't wait. She had a negative attitude towards the mention of Hannah before she even met her suggesting she wants Dexter all to herself.

I'm half expecting Dexter to go berzerk on Vogel when she tries to do something to Hannah.
Flag
I wouldn't be surprised if she kills Hannah. How's that for a season finale showdown?
Flag
I wouldn't care. I hope everyone except Deb and Harrison die.
Flag
Flag
That sounds like a good ending to me.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members