A Dexter Community
Showtime (ended 2013)

Dexter S08E07: "Dress Code"

What exactly do we expect final seasons to be? Meaning, does our collective idea of a good conclusion dictate that shows should fundamentally altering themselves to reach a unique conclusion, or should final seasons simply be more of the same, with a nice button? No two series are the same, but I'm beginning to realize that above all else, this final season of Dexter is totally, 100 percent a season of Dexter. It's full of unfulfilled promise, stalling, boring side stories, and an embarrassing amount of unnecessary voiceover. 

Now, is it my fault for thinking that the show would offer something more, or at least something a little better, because it's in its final year and the table was totally set for a good season of compelling stories? Probably. Really, how dare I assume that the middle chunk of any Dexter season could be all that good, because that's basically never happened in the show's eight years on the air. So I'm just not going to let it bother me anymore. The final season had a lot of fascinating options for what it could have done, but it didn't take advantage of them, and if it had, then it would be a season of Dexter anyway. 

Nevertheless, I didn't think "Dress Code" was particularly good. Suddenly, for a show that has, like, two main characters and three supporting ones, there are way too many people involved in Dexter and Deb's orbit. Hannah's return in this episode was problematic in its own right (more on that below), but it also marginalized Vogel pretty substantially. What was so interesting about the good doctor in the season's early episodes has been stripped away so that the show can offer up In Treatment minisodes with Vogel and Deb, and that's just a poor use of the character and Charlotte Rampling. Meanwhile, Hannah's new and now-dead husband won't be an issue going forward, but "Dress Code" had to spend a whole lot of time describing their relationship, only to kill him off. That's time taken away from Deb, or Dexter and Zach, or heck, Quinn and Jamie (I may have Stockholm Syndrome with those two at this point; don't mind me). But like any mediocre mid-season episode of Dexter, this one was stuffed with a lot of exposition and dead-end stories. 

And while I was about as excited for Hannah's return as anyone, the way it was handled, in general, didn't sit too well with me. I appreciate the show's attempts to make Hanna and Dexter fall in love again, and to rebuild the tension between Dexter and Deb (which the writers pissed away two episodes ago), but Hannah went from poisoning Dexter and Deb to trying to avoid them in like eight hours. "Dress Code" literally went out of its way to accentuate how pointless it was for this to happen! Worst of all was the way Hannah acted in the second half of the episode. In one scene, she told Dexter how grateful she was that her new man had helped her in a dark time, then immediately said (more or less), "Yeah but, I was going to have you kill him because he's also a creep." Sure, Hannah's relationship with men and her definition of love is complex at best and horrifying at worst, but even for her, that was ridiculous. I don't understand the necessity in making Hannah a damsel in distress for Dexter to save and/or make feel better. We already know who she is and what she's capable of. It was a lot of wasted effort to reestablish a relationship that isn't that hard to understand.

I felt the same kind of frustration during the scenes with Zach and Dexter. The idea of Dexter taking on an intern is super interesting, but this episode bobbled the execution a little bit. There's something to be said for Dexter's negligence that led to Zach almost certainly killing Dex's neighbor Cassie, and the show went out of its way to emphasize that occurrence with the final lines about what happens when two murders get together. But it also seems like Zach could become more of a problem quicker than perhaps he should, which means less opportunity for Dexter to teach and/or learn about himself. 

We can see all the pieces starting to form with regard to Dexter's forthcoming end-game. Hannah's back and Zach is causing trouble, which means Dexter is now on the hook for the actions of two sociopathic murders who he either cares for or is trying to help. That's not good for him, even if he thinks it is in the moment. And with Vogel still scheming in the background (she's clearly fascinated by Hannah's presence), Deb starting to seethe in the shadows, and Quinn still trying to tie Zach to his previous murder, there's little doubt that it's all going to blow up in Dexter's face, as these things always do. There's a very, very good chance that most of those people I just mentioned will die in the coming episodes, and by Dexter's hand no less. BUT, that's all in the future, and maybe the show will still do something vastly different in its final episodes. Though as of right now, Dexter hasn't shown it's actually is interested in that. 

EXCESS BLOOD SPLATTER

– Cassie was kind of interesting, so of course they killed her. It keeps the number of recurring and supporting characters down a little.

– The scene outside the club with Harry trying to convince Dexter to go home was so silly that I enjoyed it way too much.

– If you've ever thought that this show needed more of Masuka awkwardly looking at his long-lost daughter's breasts, this final season is for you!

– Quinn only decided to move in with Jamie because Batista was mean to him. Great decision, I'm sure that'll work out very well. 

– I mean seriously, how long are we going to have to wait for Elway really try to push himself on Deb? This is Dexter I'm watching, right? It'll be the one final-season surprise!

What'd you think of "Dress Code"?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 9/22/2013

Season 8 : Episode 12

309 Comments
Comments (309)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
This was the first episode I completely disliked/even hated in this season. Sure, Niki is irresistibly adorable and all, but most of it was utterly pointless and inane. I have never liked Masuka and I still don't.
Flag
Hannah's return was so disappointing. I so agree with the review. When did danger-Hannah become helpless Maggie? It was pathetic and boring. Also, Julian Sands is awesome so they have him around for barely one episode? What? Dexter became some kittenish weakminded fool around Hannah too. All in all, just pathetic.
Dexter taking an 'intern', namely Zach, makes no sense whatsoever. Isn't there something in the code about doing anything to avoid getting caught? Zach is self-entitled little shit with a taste for blood so long term he is not going to obey Dexter / Vogel no matter how starstruck he may be right now... He is so obviously a timebomb... Dexter is risking his safety and that of his family for no other pay off than ego stroking.
Flag
Not really certain why all people do any more is complain. If you don't think the show is living up to your expectations or to that of previous episodes you can find something else to watch rather than spend your time watching something and then complaining about it. Of course, if you watch it and complain about it then in reality you still really like it or you'd find something better and more constructive to do with your time. The series has had some great episodes but it's a bit harsh to think that they can continue to top what they previously did. At some point you reach an apex and the best you can do is perform at that level or less. Personally, I like the series and find it interesting still at this point.
Flag
I was really hoping for a sense of urgency in this final season that just doesn't seem to have happened, everything seems to be coasting along as normal.

Depending on whether you include him trying to learn from Trinity this is about the 5th time he's teamed up with someone, everything is far too familiar and basically boring. Hopefully things will pick up in the next few episodes.
Flag
Everything happened so fast , waaayyy to many plot lines for one episode
Flag
I actually found Dexter season 7 to be good. He fell in love and we all know he didn't love Rita. Dexter needs to put an end to Zach! The good doctor can find another pet. Dexter knows that boy is a liability in the end if Dexter let's him live Zach will be his down fall. My money is syill on Deb to do something crazy to Dexter again.
Flag
Spot on with the review. I had similar hopes, but at the end of the day it really is just another season of Dexter, doing the same old Dextery things (useless supporting characters, time wasting go nowhere subplots, and of course deus ex machina plot resolutions galore).

I had hoped for a bit more in the "final season", but eh.
Flag
Interesting that one of the biggest stink episodes of the biggest stink overcharged show on the air right now gets 294 comments, while their most intelligent episode this year which wipes the floor with Dexter when it comes to writing and acting and a thought provoking (remember when Dexter used to do that?) storyline languishes at Newsroom with only 92.

No wonder the Duck aholes are rich.
Flag
Don't give up on the Hannah comeback just yet. I suspect she has ever intention of framing Dexter. Maybe even for Deb's murder. Anyway who knows whats going to happen since anymore ANYTHING can happen, regardless of rhyme or reason. I'm holding out hope the writers know at least enough so as to get a bit of drama and a satisfactory conclusion.
I think it's pretty well agreed the show isn't what it used to be, but with some good actors and a glorious past, there is no reason, outside of sheer laziness, that the writers can't conclude this show well.
Flag
Great review, the comparison to In Treatment was very apt and while I adore that show you're right in highlighting how Rampling's being wasted at the moment.
Flag
Is anybody there happy of Hannah's return? I certainly am!!!! Hoping great things are going to happen...
Flag
Staff
Oh, I'm happy that she's back, I just hope they use her better in future episodes.
Flag
I am. She's been my favourite love interest or as close to is as Dexter can get that the show has had but I may be bias because I'm generally just a fan of her work (after all my name is chuuuuck
Flag
i can imagine how you must feel and how deep she's got under your skin over the years (for me too!)...as for dexter, I am hoping as I am sure you are, for the show to provide us with an argentinian happy ending!
Flag
Yeah, ok, you got me with this review. I was much more fine with the show ending because I thought they would have some well-thought through conclusion that neatly tapes up the entire show before it disappears. Instead, it seems like just another season of Dexter, which ironically makes me wish they would push the deadline back, end this season with the standard rubric, and then do a proper, legendary conclusion next season.

Of Hannah, Cassie, & Zach, they (HBO) should only have been allowed to pick one of these new/seasonal characters. Too many of them is very Dexter and completely fine in a regular season, but frivolous in a show's final one. Here's to hoping the next five are all winners though.
Flag
We are preparing for the end and Dexter trying to start something new is a bit silly. Dexter always lived from the risk of being exposed, always had a great villain that Dexter admired and feared at the same time... it takes way too much time that Dexter realizes that Vogel is the manipulative villain who killed his father because Harry was about to expose Vogel when he realized that she is a psychopath herself. I wish they would walk towards a more interesting finale and set it up chronologically and more obvious. For now it points to Dexter getting sloppy loosing oversight a little because there are too many distractions... kind of breaking the the character kind of way. This is not how I want it to end.
Flag
daaaaaaaamn, The Warlock has changes! . I didn't even recognized him, and then during re-watch I saw a familiar name-Sands. Julian Sands. Give it up for The Warlock!! :)
Flag
*has changed
Flag
We get it...this isn't Breaking Bad quality...

Flag
Staff
I didn't make that comparison did I?
Flag
No. It most certainly isn't. Used to be until the writers started focusing more on their paychecks than their storylines after S4
Flag
What is?
Flag
Breaking Bad is
Flag
my comment meant what else is breaking bad quality
Flag
@Lefin
The Wire is great but still not Breaking Bad quality. I guess it's all subjective.
I'd probably put The Shield before the Wire but I was actually wondering about current shows.
For current I think maybe GoT (it is on break but still an active show).
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
The Wire, a bunch of other stuff (some premium, some not). Breaking Bad is still fantastic, though.
Flag
Always excited at watching Dexter, than I come here and find out it should have been cancelled after season 1...
Flag
Wrong. It should have ended on its own terms after S4 or if the writers had been good at their craft they would have composed a quality final season, ending on the heels of the Trinity season would have been great. Would have cost them a lot of easy money but would have kept the standards top shelf.
The show now basically mails it in.
Flag
I enjoyed this season up and until now. I ended up dismissing the whole Hannah line with the thought that maybe it was necessary as she has something to do with the end of everything. If not, then this was just a waste of time. As for Zach, I think he killed Cassie because of timing and opportunity but also to get back at Dexter for not being there for him twice.
Flag
I am disappointed that Hannah is back. This season w s going pretty well imo, but they really killed the pace with her comeback. I was happy with the Vogel/Dexter/Deb storyline, it didn't really need Hannah.
Flag
urghh...Julian Sands....urghh....how does he get work?...even a British accent cant hide poor acting.
At least it was only for 1 episode.
Flag
I am really disappointed in the last season. I thought (and hoped) the finally season would be all about Deb and Dexter and their doomed relationship. Bring Hannah back takes away from Dex and Deb's messed up thing. Dex already chose Deb over Hannah end of story. As for the side stories, I thought (and hoped) it would be about Bastita and the gang finding out what's his name didn't kill LaGuerta putting them hot on Deb and Dex's tail.

I really thought Bastita was going to find out about Dexter or at least about Deb killing LaGuerta. Would Dexter kill Bastita? Would Deb let him? That would have been exciting.

As for what is really happening with the show...it's a snooze which is why the show is being cancelled. But, I have invested so much time in the show might as well see to the end.
Flag
What are you talking about? Hannah is the center piece to the Deb/Dex feud...this will only drive the drama...did you Debs look while she was spying on them? This drives the drama...ugh...
Flag
Am I the only one that thinks Zach didn't kill Cassie? I have a niggling sense that they are trying to set up what they think is a cunning twist, but seems painfully predictable. The moment the guy she had been seeing turned up at the door, I became convinced it was him. They have gone through too much effort to keep showing/referencing/mentioning him whilst trying to make you not pay too much attention to him. Besides, Zach was constantly referred to as lacking restraint or discretion. The mere fact he walked straight passed Cassie in that heated moment, rather than just strike there and then, makes me doubt his guilt.
Flag
Agreed - Zach's overly gruff answer to Cassie as he was leaving was a bit too obvious in leading viewers to assume he'd come back to kill her... However the kill was similar to Zach's (right?) Who would know such technical details apart from Dexter himself or Dr Vogel... Is Dr. Vogel setting some experiment? She is one manipulative creep
Flag
I concur completley. The little scenes with the neighbour in but not really in are trademark give-aways for shows such as Dexter, the shows that whilst not stupidly written still spoon feed some things rather than just trusting in the viewer to puzzle complexities out.
As you point out below, the writers of Dexter do seem to lay things on a bit too heavy, such as the infamous Dr.Geller "twist"

Also they wouldn't have Dexter go to a crime scene, think its Zach, find Zach, confirm it was him, kill him. They like to make Dexter out to be the only smart one, so they will obviously try to make a clever 'eureka' moment when Dexter works out that it wasn't him. And as you say I fear this is painfully predicatble.
Flag
LOL! I loved this post because I had these EXACT thoughts with Rita's murder and the neighbour that kissed her. I maintain it didn't make a lick of sense for Trinity to kill her, and it was also 'obvious' and thus boring, and why all the focus on the neighbour? How much more interesting would it have been? But then, I also thought Dexter would counter Deb's freak out to finding out about him by pointing out that she already let him go. They spent TWO YEARS building up stories to show how Deb could accept Dexter's actions, but never delivered on any of them. I find the Dexter writers suffer the same problem as Whedon: they build up an AWESOME idea, but then NEVER deliver on it and instead trip and fall on their faces. I kept hoping this season would be different, but because it never is, sure Zach killed Cassie. It's the boring, obvious choice (which also makes no sense...he LEFT. You'd think if he was just going to lose it he would have done so immediately).
Flag
Whedon NEVER delivered?!? Have you forgotten no less than 7 awesome seasons of Buffy, one of the best TV series ever? OK, maybe 6.5 awesome seasons; the first half of S6 was somewhat depressing. Angel wasn't bad either. I agree that Dollhouse wasn't very compelling but the early cancelling of Firefly wasn't all Whedon's fault and the movie was brillant!
Flag
As far as Trinity goes, it makes sense in that he was Dexter's nemesis and was out to get him. All in all, though, they just wanted a Se7en style twist. I wholeheartedly agree on Dexter not using the whole Lumen story and the fact she already let murderers go to win her round. I also thought the same about the fact he killed his own brother to protect her. Surely that would have earned some brownie points.
Flag
But unlike Whedon (who I must disagree on and potentially challenge you to a duel over), more often than not, lately, the Dexter writers are not so much devising and building up an awesome idea, so much as they merely think that they are. I point to season six and the 'twist' of Professor Gellar. Which is why I, perhaps wrongly and stubbornly, hold onto my theory. I can see what you mean about Rita's neighbour. I actually remember expecting him to be dodgy in some way and looking out for a similar outcome, before the series ended the way it did and he ended up not. But the difference is, he served a point to the character of Dexter, giving him a taste of even more new feelings and some emotional responses and evolvement. This neighbour is just there. Shown repeatedly and purposefully made note of as 'being really into her but not who she truly has a crush on'. And when he appeared at the door - really bad sad face and crying and acting like he and Dexter had said more than two words to each other - it just screamed that the writers wanted to ensure they did there due dilligance in placing the eventual culprit in the periphery of the frame so it won't look such a leap and nonsensical twist when he is revealed.
More +
Flag
me too!
Flag
James Hibberd of EW (not sure why my link doesn't work) says next week is the best Dexter since the start of this year's stinkshow. After the wonderfuly snarky hate of his review, I believe him.
Flag
Staff
Interesting? I'm going to watch it tonight, so we'll see.
Flag
The scenes with JAKE and Debra are so beyond silliness that I can't help to do a recap:

Knock knock
J: what are you up to?
D: none of your business, back off
J: euh, wait i am your boss and that is my computer, show me ... who is the blonde chick?
D: none of your fxxking business,
J: okay ...
J: wait, BITCH, I am the one that gave you a fancy job with nothing to do (but to hang out with me) while you are at the bottom, gratitude? ?
D: ok, you got me

Moments later

D: okay i am a bitch and I want your super gadget to ... (tail my psychopath serial killer brother that I am in love with)
J: no problem, I am a dick too (can't we just make out here ...)
Flag
Never tought I'll stop to watch a final season of any series, but this episode (and this season as a whole) has convinced me.
Flag
In case you missed it, in gerodive's excellent post, more wonderful hate for this stinkshow:

http://tvrecaps.ew.com/recap/dexter-recap-season-8-hannah/

Flag
I thought it was ok, not sure why zack killed cassie seems abit out of his m o

he only killed his dads mistress and then tried to kill his dad..a reason for that..

But why kill dexters neighbour ? seems wrong,

i wish jamie would bone dexter already...

hannah well obviously she was going to kill her hubby in self defense.

i kinda felt miss masuka was a bit young to be flashing bewbs so felt wrong watching it..but was on candy crush lol

i wonder if vogel will actually be killed by hannah or zack..

i foresee a romeo juliet style end to dexter and hannah they 'for what ever reason' suicide together..
Flag
" why kill dexters neighbour"--because she was BORING and the writers finally realized they have to many boring characters. Maybe Zack can go on a killing spree before Dexter kills him
Flag
it just seemed a pointless waste of time... she had moved on with 'captain smooth' but for some 'predictable' shock value...why not just have her move away and kill some of the usual randoms...
Flag
her entire plot line was pointless so might as well kill her; she was essentially a "random"
Flag
in the premier episode of this last season, dexter was having happy time with a hot brunette/red head.. but she hasn't been seen since, why didn't they expand on her a bit more ? instead of a topless shot of her for a few seconds...other than her being a one nighter...
Flag
Zack killed Cassie because he is a psychopath. He had a reason to kill the first time, but he doesn't need one now, the "hunger" has been awakened in him now.
Flag
well he killed her because of her connection to dexter.. i assume..
Flag
I think it was more time and opportunity
Flag
More steaming craptasticness: the empty greenhouse. Real estate left to decay, IN MIAMI? Nothing broken into, everything intact?

Give me a break.

Love the hate at all the other sites.
Flag
It was a greenhouse. Did it really look intact to you? They didn't examine the house, but really?
Flag
And speaking as a daughter, what daughter sits and talks to her father without even awkwardly trying to cover up their tits?
Flag
In her defense, he wasn't her FATHER father but some sperm donor she just met. She's probably spent more time with some of the customers in the bar than with him.

But it all comes down to personal feelings and such. One stripper might be OK in that moment, another might want to cover up. Assuming that doing so won't get her in trouble with her boss.

Flag
topless waitress not a stripper....lol
:D
Flag
I would agree with you if she hadn't just called him "dad."
Flag
Masukas daughter is FINE. love her place of work. that short skirt was very nice.

Flag
i thought dexter was going to have zack kill the husband, but that obviously didnt happen.
i do not like this mentoring storyline, zack has got to die
Flag
I was so excited about Hannah's return last week and particularly the way she returned. This episode just makes it all pointless. Hannah just misses Dexter and want back, wjich by the way works for everyone if only they haven't wasted so m time on the stupid story about her husband.
And what kind of police department is Miami metro homicide? You have a chief eager to suck up to every rich ass, a lieutenant worrying only about his little sister and a forensic hiring his biological stripper daughter and ... Dexter. No wonder the criminal rate is sky high.
Flag
I often marvel at how atrocious Miami Metro Homicide is. They're always hiring psychopaths and not catching criminals.
Flag
Given that Dexter has killed 100s and most of the people he killed were killers who beat the rap, what exactly is Miami Metro Homicide's conviction rate? Honestly it's got to be south of 10% and the citizens aren't up in arms? LOL
Flag
Zach ddint killed Cassie it was Debra or Vogel !

As evil Zach is i still have hope for him. But now Dex will assume that Zach did it but he did not and something bad will happen.
Flag
I don't care if Zach did it (he did) or didn't do it. I still want Dexter to kill him so he don't pop up in a new series in a few years called Dexter II. Plus Zach is annoying.
Flag
Masuka is gonna marry his daughter. It will happen!
Flag
It can't. That is illegal.
Flag
And they will have teeny tiny little inbred children.

Such a wonderful storyline, it adds SO much to an already stink show.
Flag
Dexter should have killed Zac when he had the chance!
Flag
ok, now i`ve seen the episode. *sigh*
i guess i`m not really concentrating anymore, but aj was the brain surgeon for real? it was that simple?
*sigh*

Flag
Vogel has to be the brain surgeon.
Flag
I agree
Flag
I'm hoping it is something like that
Flag
I truly don't think it is over. Or maybe I'm just still hoping that they didn't sum it up that easily.
Flag
And it was that stupid.
Flag

Trying really hard not to bust into a full on rant right now about the implausibility of the entire Hannah thing. What's your logic Hannah? Please tell us? Oh, it's the "I drugged you so you'd help me kill my hubby". Oh, well that makes sense. I mean really, what better way to ask for someone's help than by drugging them and leaving them on the side of the road? But the Entertainment Weekly recap did such a good job ranting on that that I have no need to, I'll just link it here: http://tvrecaps.ew.com/recap/dexter-recap-season-8-hannah/

*sigh*

If this show were smart, Hannah would just be manipulating Dexter right now. The whole scene with her professing her still-present love in the greenhouse would just be a clever Hannah ploy to exploit him into getting what she wants in some larger scheme. That would be somewhat clever, and almost mitigate the idiocy of whole drugging thing.

If this show were smart, the Brain Surgeon would still be out there (still hanging onto hope for that one), and will reappear again soon.

If this show were smart, this season would stop wasting time on meaningless exposition of new and irrelevant characters and work on a deeply compelling and brilliantly constructed story arc instead of hopping around like toad on crystal meth.

If this show were smart it would have ended 4 seasons ago.

If this show were smart, it would be Breaking Bad.

All hail the king.
More+
Flag
She may be playing (manipulating) Dexter--it's what I think and hope she is doing.

I thought the "brain surgeon" with the super clean brains (so fake looking) was still out there....

why was the axe never used? He told Hannah to buy an axe but it didn't seem like it was used...
Flag
When I ask for help, I always drug people first.
Flag
And she dragged him to who knows where for who knows what reason.

And she could have killed him anywhere along the way with her fancy schmancy poisons and then come back to woo Dex.

And Hannah as victim doesn't cut it.

And thanks to her we had to be party to Dex dumping the body, again, into the ocean whole, despite having bought a saw.

Phew, the stink, oh the stink.

Oh goodie, can't wait to read EW.

It will soon be over.

Amen and pass the....... how does that go? Excellent post, gerodive.

Flag
I couldn't enjoy his daughter's nakedness due to Masuka's weird presence.
Flag
i enjoyed it. i really liked the tiny skirt
Flag
Meh. Really pretty mediocre, but I've lowered my expectations for Dexter exponentially over the past 4 seasons so overall it was OK. Whole deal with Hannah posioning Deb/Dex was rather pointless and the murder of her husband was way to rushed. Only good that can come out of that is you kill a rich, powerful guy there are a lot of forces mobilized to find the perpetrator. Be good to see that killing bring some heat/stress onto team Dexter.
No digging Zach, the old Dexter was well played as a socially akward, secretly troubled man living a double life. Zach is just a socially akward creep. Zero likeable about him.
Oh well, 5 more eps to close this out, surprised they spend so much time on the seemingly pointless side stories (even if Nikki is hot) but gloss over stuff more relevant to the overall story. Kind of become par for the course for this writing team. Sigh
Flag
Here's my quick attempt at understanding this season so far: Vogul is the big bad for sure, and Zach is just another one of her beloved psychopaths. Which I guess is obvious, but I think she may have sent him over the edge. I don't think she cares about his "internship" with Dexter besides that it is an interesting experiment.
Hannah is just a crazy loose end.
I still think Matthews presence in the show is more for his eventual role in trying to take down Dexter and Deb. It can't be just for denying Quinn promotions.
Masuka and Quinn are comic relief (Quinn mostly. I don't find Masuka's story funny and he has way too much screen time).
As far as Elway is concerned, I actually kind of like him. I think he is just crushing on Deb a little too hard.
Flag
Breaking Bad tracking tech.
Flag
This final season started off pretty awesome but it soon fell back to the normal Dexter "routine". It doesn't feel like a final season anymore. If this wasn't the last season I would really enjoy it but since it is I'm pretty disappointed with it so far.
Flag
Surely there are no topless bars in real life. Right?
Flag
Is this a joke or a serious question? There's only one in Miami for some odd reason: Madonna Sports Club.
Flag
That was a serious question, thanks for a answering. Might be because I'm European, but I'd never heard of such a thing.
Flag
Even in Europe, saw such a place in catholic Poland^^ in Gdansk

In germany, such a place should have been opened, but female protesters, didn´t made that happen. Whatever...
Flag
I disagree with you kind sir, but to each their own. Cassie was not interesting, although I have missed me some Bethany-Joy. Other than that I did enjoy this episode, but I only cared for one thing; one word, two syllables, takes 8 seconds to say, and it isn't Baaaannnssssssshhhhhhhhhhhheeeeeeeee. It is however,
HAAAAAANNNNNNNNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH.
Flag
Finally someone who finds Cassie to be BORING!

At least Hannah killed Miles instead of needing to be rescued by Dexter...I'm sure she could of disposed of the body and I wonder if she is "playing/using" Dexter
Flag
Let's face it! These are some truly messed up people and quite frankly, I'm glad they're 3000 miles away from me. Vogel is certainly making quite the mess and, I'm not cleaning that up. I'm not sure where they're going with this but it better start making sense soon. We certainly don't want Dexter ending up in the same boat as Lost, do we?
Flag
I'm glad they are that far... and fiction...
Flag
>>>>>>>These are some truly messed up people and quite frankly, I'm glad they're 3000 miles away from me.

You mean the writers, right?
Flag
You know, they just might save this thing yet--I have no idea how--but I'm hopeful. The writers have done some good stuff, and also some very bad stuff. Perhaps they have a plan and wouldn't that be nice. The Lost writers had a plan and we all know how that turned out. Here's hoping, people...
Flag
This show is filmed in Long Beach, CA. so they're probably a lot closer than you thought...
Flag
"Dexter is now on the hook for the actions of two sociopathic murders who he either cares for" Did you mean "murderers"?
Flag
While I think the reviews negativity is somewhat exaggerated, I do think that this season is a bit disappointing so far, especially due to it's predictability and overabundance of sub plots that are really unnecessary.

Where Masuka is concerned, I find this especially true. On any given show, let alone one based on as complex a premise as Dexter, it is important to have a persistent presence of at least one, one-dimensional character. The one who is always predictable, lending a balance to the crazy-pants aspects of everyone else, to help ground the audience in the reality of the show's world so thay can relate to it. Everybody who has ever had a job I am sure knows a "Masuka" type in their office.

This season, after all these years of having Masuka be the "rock of comic relief," we are now supposed to suddenly swallow and invest energy in caring about his "back story" and this new development in his life. Not the best plot device if you ask me, considering how much else is supposed to unravel, resolve, and / or explode by the end of the season.

Wherever they take the show by season's end, I just hope it doesn't include anymore "daughter-boobs" :P
More+
Flag
A 'bit'?

I'd love to have 'a bit' of the things I am so fond of irl if this stinkshow is 'a bit' disappointing!!!!!!!!!
Flag
...meaning?
Flag
no more daughter boobs...very small, but that ass in the short skirt was very nice
Flag
I maybe lame for saying this but I think this is probably the best episode of this season. I am so happy Hannah is back and sexy as always. And yes I am shallow and honest enough to admit I am very pleasantly surprised with daughter boobs...lol. I would be very surprised if the actress is not pouring with offers to act in Wild Things 7 or some soft core show. She is a beauty second only to Hannah. Anyone knows her name?
Flag
Dora Madison Burge never saw her before, but apparently she was in friday night lights...which i still need to watch since i've heard it is a great show
Flag
Thanks. I heard Fri nights lights is good too. I too never got to watch it.
Flag
it's in my netflix queue, but the wife & i have watched arrested development, orange is the new black and currently the league, so we just havent gotten around to it yet
Flag
Friday Night Lights was an excellent show!
Flag
So Masuka's daughter a striper or something like that … is anyone surprised ???

How sad did deb sandwich looked like, I felt really bad for him all squashed and dangly like thatL

So deb's boss had his first "I 'm a psycho " outburst which promotes him from just being a shady guy who has wired obsession to energy drink to a guy that something is seriously wrong with him. congrats

And congratulation to the writers for putting so many psychotic character's in this episode I can't even keep up from deb's boss , to Hannah now Maggie to her obsessive husband miles , (what kinda of a name is miles anyway ) and wrapping things up with a little murder by our fresh intern Zach.

Also just a theory but since zach came into the picture I thought maybe the student will become the master and zach will eventually will be the one to kill dexter but since dexter's isn't doing such a great job mentoring as we can see from this episode it seems like zach is going to be on the chopping block next episode, so never mind.

Also I'm kinda happy to see Hannah's back it's weird but it's almost like dexter is becoming more human around her and even kinda romantic in his own way , I mean when he came to that yacht wanting to kill miles , I almost wanted to cheer him on like yes go fight for your girl is it weird that I found it really sweet like that time he took her to that santaland regardless off course from the fact he actually took her there to kill her , o.k maybe I just have law standards.
More+
Flag
Argh, I forgot to mention: "So Masuka's daughter a striper or something like that … is anyone surprised ???" - Breastaurant! LOL xD
Flag
Yeah, Breasturant--loved it...
Flag
I was surprised, a few times during this week's episode (still watching it, it's on pause :)); mostly the dialog, like at the beginning: "Zach i understand what you are going through. I will help you with this."

Then we had Debra saying: "I'm afraid he's thinking with the wrong head right now" and a little bit later, Zach at the police station - cussing.

These are all strange choices by the writers, I hope that they know what they're doing; considering (and including), also, all of the things that you've mentioned. :-\
Flag
Like I said, some really messed up people...
Flag
Yeah, this episode was really bland. The Dexter writers have got to take note from BrBa's writing staff and lay all of the cards on the table. These are the last episodes of Dexter they'll ever make, so why not go out with a bang instead of fading off into the night?
Flag
Unfortunately Team Dexter doesn't have a fraction of the ability that the BB team has. See BB is going out on top with its highest ratings. Dexter is limping into the sunset, with a lot of viewers hanging in because they've been on the ride so long it makes no sense to get off now.
In retrospect the series should have ended after S4 with Harrison sitting in the bathroom in Rita's pool of blood and Dexter finding him. Sure a lot of people would have been pissed and everyone would wonder what became of Dexter and Harrison but based on what we've gotten since that episode would we have really missed much?
Flag
But still that can all be changed though. These are the final episodes. Anything can happen now, and it doesn't feel like Dexter acknowledges that. This season seems like another "go through the motions" season and the setup seems formulaic. As a viewer, at this point you want to fear for your main characters. We need to be sitting at the edge of our seats holding our breath that Dexter makes it through the episode, instead of watching out of the corner of our eyes while we browse Facebook and play words with friends. Season 4 was perfectly constructed. Each episode was tense, and pushed the story along. Now, we have two mini-seasons and both finales are weak.
Flag
You're right. There are 5 eps. left and I do think this season holds some surprises in store. It CAN finish solidly. My concern is this writing team has given me precious little the past 4 seasons to believe they can pull it off.
As for BB there is no reason to expect anything short of a rock solid conclusion. Completely different arcs these shows are on. A lot of Dexter fans are BB fans and it is a landslide which one has done better over time. Dexter should have quit on top. After S4. Lot of pissed people but we could almost all universally agree the show kicked butt and was one of the all-time best. Last half of the run it's been mediocre. Reminds me of LOST. First 3 seasons +++. Last 3? Meh
Flag
I know, right?!?? Dammit. :-f
Flag
It's not as such a bad episode as a predicatable one. Okay, it was bad, real bad. It stinks so much that I won't mind losing rank this week as there are no possible words to say what a rotten episode was. Please no ore.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members