A Dexter Community
Showtime (ended 2013)

Dexter S08E02: "Every Silver Lining"

It's funny how good shows can do the things you absolutely don't want them to do, yet have you love them for it. I wanted this final season of Dexter to be all about Dexter and Deb and their unbelievably dysfunctional relationship, and while the show is really always about that, the introduction of Charlotte Rampling's Dr. Vogel is a shot in the arm that I didn't even know Dexter needed. "Every Silver Lining," though a more typical episode of the series, played a little better than the season premiere—and Dr. Vogel had quite a bit to do with that. 

Final seasons are so often about looking backward before taking those final few steps toward the end. Dr. Vogel's appearance and Dexter's desire to re-examine the Code and some of the big questions about the show's titular anti-hero (why? How?) comprise, on a basic level, a smart approach to a final run of stories. Still, I'm surprised at just how effective their scenes together have been in these first two episodes. Rampling is a wonderful performer and Michael C. Hall has great chemistry with just about everyone who comes on this show, but the maternal hold Vogel has on Dexter is something we simply haven't seen before. Watching them work together to solve a case was compelling, but watching her put her arms around him soothingly at the end of the hour was even more so, because it was that Dexter brand of affection that felt just weird enough.

There's some danger of running into ret-con territory as the writers start to fill in the backstory of how Vogel helped Harry develop the Code and keep Dexter from devolving into a complete sociopathic murder, but thus far, the story works because the show isn't screwing around with Dexter and Vogel's relationship. How many times have we the audience known something about a character or a plan, only to have to wait several episodes to see it materialize? The garbage with the villain in Season 6 is the most notable example, but there've been others. But we're only in Episode 2 so far and Dexter and Vogel have already traded a good amount of information. I'm sure Vogel is holding back some crucial point that will create tension later on, but she's already admitted what she knows about Dexter, and he's already sort of accepted that this is a woman who can help him. It doesn't hurt that he's desperate at the moment, but still.

However, one thing that does worry me about the development of Dexter and Vogel's relationship and the discussion of the Code is the role that Vogel is likely to play in some kind of final point about Dexter's killing. She's clearly supportive of alternative methods, and there were moments in this episode where she reaffirmed Dexter's lifestyle by noting his sense of justice, telling him that he's not like these really demented killers, and so on. And while that makes for fascinating television, I'm wondering how much the show, through Vogel, is going to find ways to keep apologizing for Dexter's behavior here in the final run. Dexter does have a sense of justice, and maybe he's not as screwed up as the people he takes out, but it's a little convenient for the series to bring in a character who can both make Dexter feel good about himself and wave away his activity as okay, or even necessary. He still needs to face some consequences. 

Elsewhere, even though it took a bit of a backseat this week (as I expected after last week's episode), I felt as if the Deb and Dexter stuff was more locked-in than it was in the premiere. The show can't really keep the two of them apart, as much as it might want to or as much as it might make sense to do so. So the show has flipped around much of what we saw last year with Deb pestering Dexter about the truth and subsequently trying to cover up his (and eventually their) misdeeds. This week, Deb strayed even further by killing the hitman who was after the diamonds, even though it seemed like he didn't actually want to hurt her too much. Then, Dexter had to clean up Deb's mess and conceal evidence, resulting in one of their awesome now-patented Narrow Alleyway Conversations. Dexter hypocritically suggested that it's not easy to cover for Deb, only for her to reinforce that she's acting the way she's acting because of what he turned her into. The exchange felt a little repetitive, but it was played better by the actors and a tinge more effective because Dexter spent so much of "Every Silver Lining" feeling guilty for what he'd done to Deb. 

The assertion that Dexter needs Deb just as much, if not more, than she needs him is a nice re-evaluation of their relationship, and it's putting Dexter in the kind of place where he can have this new thing with Vogel. Knowing this show, chances are that things will blow up in his face, but it's a really interesting relationship nonetheless. And hopefully, Deb just straight-up killing dudes doesn't become much of a trend—how horrible would it be if all of a sudden she was some kind of serial murderer? The character needs to fall quite far to have the kind of redemption she really deserves. There are elements of Deb's story that I don't care about, mostly notably her new job and the almost-guaranteed relationship she's going to have with her boss Elway, but I understand why the show is pushing her in the directions it's pushing her in, so I can be patient. 

After the season premiere, I was a little wary of where Dexter's final season might be headed. Although there are still some things that I'm fearful of, "Every Silver Lining" did a better job of creating a road map for Dexter and Deb's stories in the next 10 episodes. 

REMAINING SLIVERS OF BRAIN TISSUE

– I find it funny that Dexter sat there and watched old videos of Harry, then turned to talk to him. I was waiting for Harry to make some dumb comment about how young he looked, or at least for Dexter to be like, "Hey pop, maybe you should have told me about this broad?" This show will never run out of ways to keep James Remar around. He'll probably still be filming episodes even after it's gone. 

– Young Dexter taking a bloody piece of broken glass from a crime scene, his first trophy, was a nice touch. That's like one of those final-season "answers" that you never actually cared to know.

– Over in the Quinn-Batista Family telenovela, Batista found out about Quinn and Jamie's relationship because he's "a good detective." That's probably the funniest thing I've ever heard on this show. It probably didn't hurt that Quinn and Jamie were as subtle as an A-bomb. The best part is that now that arc has suddenly been transformed into this weird thing about how Quinn sucks and never wants to do anything with his life. Well, duh, show. If we have to watch a bunch of scenes with Quinn "studying" for the Sergeant's exam, I take back every good thing I've ever said about this series.

– So, do we think that Vogel's got nefarious goals with Dexter? Some of you probably think she's actually the killer they're looking for, right?

199 Comments
Comments (199)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I don't think Vogel is the killer, but the way she hugged Dexter, yew, that's so spooky.
Flag
Staff
Good points but I just don't seem to like the chemistry between any of the actors this season. I actually want everyone to get caught for what they've done and burn in damnation. Where was Harrison?
Flag
the almost-guaranteed relationship she's going to have with her boss Elway

Oh, God, no. I hope they would not go on that route.
Flag
"He still needs to face some consequences".... No he doesn't, he's Dexter :)).....the writers had better NOT kill him off at the end of the season.....I'll be so pissed.....
Flag
Just when I think this show is going downhill, it has an episode like this... and totally redeems itself! Totally love the idea of a bunch of trained serial killers running around, all with their own ways of adapting their personalities to the "normal" world.

I think they are obviously continuing to telegraph the "curing" of Dexter - there were always hints that he wasn't a complete psychopath and that he cared for a number of people (Rita, Harrison, Deb). Now they have a character who can guide him in this - the big question is, can Dear Old Dexter live as a normal person?

I expect Deb to die before the season is over, and for this to contribute to Dexter's demise. Whether he makes it out of the series alive is to be seen.
Flag
Dr. Vogel seemed to get a little too much satisfaction in showing Dex that he can be wrong, as if she were his teacher and this was a lesson that she had planned out for him. Dex hadn't consider that Susman might have been forced to kill, so he failed Vogel's test, showing that he is fallible and still has something to learn even with all of his experience, which makes him think that he needs Vogel's guidance more.

As for tv_worm's theory that Vogel might be going after Dex because she thinks that Dex killed LaGuerta and therefore dropped the code, and Vogel believes strongly in the code, I don't think this is it. And that's because Vogel's code sanctions such a killing, as she explains to Dex that she superceded rule #2 with rule #1 not to get caught, in order to give him "wiggle room".

My late response to Cory's previous story, the sort-of-new African American lady detective. She wasn't just in the background last season. I think her very first episode was the S7 premiere, and she was featured prominently in the scene where they took Mike Anderson's body away. They talked about canvassing another neighborhood (maybe where Mike's car was found?) and that was also when LaGuerta first mentioned Mike's widow in Chicago. She did suddenly appear as part of our gang, but in the S7 premiere, not the S8 premiere.

Maybe Deb got the jewelry from El Sapo's car, will try to sell it herself without cutting in Elway, and that'll be another subplot with Elway. And, not caring about her life, she might not take seriously the fact that this would also put her in the cross hairs of the mob, which owns the jewelry store. Or, she might be safe because the mob wouldn't know who Deb is if she doesn't try to fence the jewelry. Or, because no one knows that El Sapo had the jewelry on him, she will be free to claim that she found it in the storage unit with no complications and will turn it over to Elway in order for them both to get their commissions, and the mob store owners will be happy. More likely, though, it will never be mentioned again, we'll always speculate about this dangling thread, and voila, this will be another dropped subplot.
More+
Flag
Hope everyone realizes that Vogel is Deb's mother!
Flag
Me and a couple of friends were a little confused during this episode. I posted the same question in the Dexter community, but there isn't much activity in the comunnity yet.

So about halfway through the episode, Dexter was searching the house of the suspect and he hears something. He watches through the window and sees Batista and Quinn pulling up the driveway, so he bounces..

The next time we see Batista & quinn, the car isn't on a driveway, but parked at the side of the road. They are talking to an old lady. So my question is: was this a different house than the one that Dexter was in earlier? If so, why did they show Batista & Quinn pulling up on the house Dexter was in, and next they show B&Q in a different house & different parking spot. If not, where did the old lady suddenly came from?

Thanks for the help!
Flag
Dexter was in Susman's house because he found his fingerprint on the plastic bag/murder weapon. Batista and Quinn later made their way to the same house, presumably based on Masuka's off-camera analysis of the second piece of evidence (he said he was in a sort of friendly competition with Dex to see which of their pieces of evidence would lead them to the killer). After not finding anything at Susman's house, Batista and Quinn logically went to a second house to interview Susman's mother about his whereabouts.
Flag
Oh Thanks TV-zombie, yeah we probably missed a few minutes..
Flag
I agree with MarlboroMagpi that it's Dr. Vogel who has even less empathy than Dexter does. Even if she herself is not the Brain Surgeon, even if she hasn't killed anyone directly. And that's because Dr. Vogel over the years has made the conscious decision as trained psychiatrist to take advantage of people in need who come to her, to use her professional skills and license to nurture patients' murderous tendencies. She has had more of a choice in how to proceed with her life (unless she herself is a psychopath, in which case maybe she had limited choices), unlike her patients, yet she chose to indirectly kill via her surrogates (patients). She even chose to supercede the importance of code rule #2 not to kill innocents with rule #1 not to get caught - as she says in Ep. 2 to give Dex "wiggle room" (ie, so he could continue his killing ways even after being found out, by eliminating any innocents who figure him out). That's treating Dex like a robot - if rule #1 and #2 conflict, robot, #1 must prevail.

I'll add one point to Pierresund's opinion that Charlotte Rampling might be the show's most formidable guest actor, after John Lithgow of course. I agree, except that I'd tie Rampling at guest villain actor #2 with Ray Stevenson (Isaak Sirko) - both of them are doing/did their best work with Michael C. Hall during the quiet scenes, just the characters talking, with their acting skills permitted to shine through and carry the scenes. That's when things are revealed about Dexter, both to us and to him, when more dimensionality and conflict is added to his character, which is more compelling than any action scenes. This is when the show is at its best.

Kerkesh points out that with Deb now having killed two people, she could become a serial killer should she kill one more person. Actually, she has killed three people. Deb also killed someone in the line of duty in Season 6, that's why she was seeing the shrink who eventually suggested that Deb was in love with Dexter. Although, I wouldn't count that line-of-duty kill, because that was on the up-and-up, unlike her two subsequent kills.

Anbis82 then posits, doesn't Deb already fit Dex's code, of someone he'd normally put on his table? Well, Dexter also fits his own code, once he intentionally killed Hannah's father who had committed no crime (I'm not counting the previous exceptions to the code because they either weren't premeditated or the victim was still a criminal, albeit not a murderer - the non-murderous pedophile who was targeting Astor, the mistake of killing the jerk photographer instead of his murderous assistant, and the bathroom a--hole who insulted Dex's deceased wife because that was in the heat of the moment). Dex broke the code just a couple of episodes before Deb did. If Dex were still strictly following the code (he's still following it apparently, but not 100% as we saw last season), then he'd have to kill himself, not just Deb.

More+
Flag
I really hope that the 'Batista sees all' thing that is happening with Quinn at the moment is explained by Batista actually surveilling all of his coworkers because he suspects one of them killed LaGuerta.
Flag
Vogel is not Dexter's mother, right? RIGHT? I know the mother supposedly was killed when he was a child but somehow Vogel gives me such a strange vibe... You know, she's creepy but at the same time, she's very maternal when with Dexter...
Flag
I have/had the same feeling during the episode but I don't know.I think she sees herself as his mother because she kinda created him.
Flag
She's definitely not the mother. She just views him as her creation.
Flag
I don't think that Vogel is the Killer but I don't believe she has told Dexter the whole truth about her reasons for everything. There was a slight moment when she hugged Dexter, the look on his face as if he needed that support and confirmation that he was perfect the way he was.
Flag
It seems pretty obvious she's behind it all. she's controlling ex patients (not hard for the "psycho whisperer" to get into her own patients heads making them kill) so she can get brains to study and pitting them against her long con (experiment) of creating a "Noble" killer. a grand experiment and let's be honest. Dexter is living proof she's not adverse to letting psychos kill. Kind of like Dexter is considered a genius at reconstructing scenes due to his ability to visualize it all, she's so successful at dealing with sociopaths because she is one.
Flag
This makes so much sense actually.....I don't agree with those saying she's the killer...but your theory sounds completly plausible....
Flag
With her getting "mysterious DVD's" left in her house that she immediately starts handling without gloves, no chance to even try for a print, gets "gifts" left at her door that she doesn't tell the police about, just Dexter, it's just all too staged to pull him in and have him go through his process for her to watch firsthand.
Flag
WHAT AN EPISODE.
Flag
The introduction of a new character like Vogel would make sense if the story was to go on for a few more seasons and we could see their interaction develop. So, obviously she can't be as benign as she seems at the moment. She would have to mean Dexter's undoing in some way. But I'll trust the writers. As long as we don't find out Vogel was a figment of Harry's imagination all along...

Quinn as usual is an idiot. A girl like Jamie deserves a little more consideration. But the girls all fall for Quinn.

I thought the ex-captain had retired in disgrace or something. What's he doing back?
Flag
He made a deal with LaGuerta. He would help her with the BHB investigation, and she would help him get reinstated.
Flag
He probably came out of retirement since they lost both Laguerta and Deb. The captain taking over for Laguerta, and Batista filling in for Deb.
Flag
And the writers not knowing how to get out of corners into which they had painted themselves.
Flag
It would be too much if they introduced a new character. Especially with the focus being on Vogel this season, if they suddenly added a new character or advanced Batista two whole ranks, it'd seem pretty outlandish.
Flag
I have just watched the episode... well, now I know that Vogel is only there so that Harry doesn't have to be guilty of making Dexter what he is, since it was all her idea. The fact that Dexter will be in love with Deb (as it seems it's going to happen, whether we like it or not), will make it imposible for him to be an actual psychopath in nature. Vogel is hiding stuff, no doubt. Will she be the one behind the killings? They want to make us believe it.

I have no idea how that Deb situation worked out... didn't she have just one gun, that was in the car lock? So... what gun did she use to kill El Sapo? :-/
Flag
I really enjoyed the episode. As well as the review.
I don't think Dexter should trust her and i think he doesn't. In some scenes i got the feeling that Dr. Vogel (german noun meaning "bird" btw) was afraid of him even though she knows she doesn't fit his code. A feeling i can actually relate to. I don't think I would be very comfortable around a serial killer, even such a nice one as Dexter.
I did like that we got to know how the code came to be. Harry inventing it and training Dexter to be a murderer never worked for me quite well, but with this information it's somewhat plausible.
Flag
It was the apparent house break-in and subsequent disc find that threw me on to Vogel being the killer.

All the killer did in the video was hold a gun to the guys head. She could've easily did that for the purpose of the recording and to manipulate Dexter into seeing her ways.

I really hope I'm wrong. I want this last season to be a standout!
Flag
Ok, my take. Vogel is not the "Brain Surgeon". Dexter will end up in a fight with the real Brain Surgeon (maybe Hannah back to torment Dexter for his role in turning her in) and will win with a kill (our last Hurrah). Deb will meet Vogel and hear the role she played in creating Dexter and will then take the bad doctor out in a fit of outrage. Deb will then regain enough moral bearings to realize that she was a good cop in contrast to what she has become, so in the final scene, Deb will kill Dexter and then commit suicide. This ending is a morality play showing good will always win over bad and will serve as a slap at us the audience for the moral dilemma we have had rooting for a serial killer. Dexter! Great show.
Flag
Like what you did with the poll.
And the thought of Vogel being the killer was in my mind, but I don't think she is.
i just want to say that Michael C. Hall did a more than great job this episode, his acting, simply fascinating.
Flag
His directing, however, was suspect.
Flag
Dexter has a good shot at an insanity defence.
As a young child, he was clearly manipulated into becomming a serial killer by the only authority figure he has ever known , under the guidance of a very experienced expert on psychopaths.
I think Vogel is the psychopath and her goal is to keep Dexter killing effectively for as long as possible.
I don't think she's the killer though, more likely, it's another of her former patients/experiments.
Flag
Dexter understands what he's doing too well to have a shot at an insanity defense.
Flag
He understands, but he has been cleverly manipulated into believing that he is doing good.
I'm not saying that I think he can get away with it, but diminished capacity is surely a possibility.
Flag
I think dr.vogel is a crazy killer of some sort and I think that Deb and Quinn are getting back together. I would hate if i was right, cuz that wouldn't be a good end to this show, but i think i am :/
Flag
By the end I think Deb will start to fit the code. Dexter will have to make a choice to follow the code and his compulsion to kill her or his love for her and throw away the code and dark passenger. Eventually he will ditch the dark passenger and stop killing. And prove Dr. Vogel/Harry wrong about him having no choice in becoming a serial.

Is it possible for Deb to be the brain surgeon?
Flag
I'd think that Vogel is the 'Surgeon' but that'd be too obvious.

Flag
The first few minutes while Dr.Vogel was showing Dexter these recordings I tought,she can be trusted.At the end I started to loose that feeling.Especially when she hugged him.There was a look on her face.Like she really wants Dexter to kill al these people.It weird,she has written in her book that killers are a gift of nature.There's something about Vogel,I'm not sure yet,but I'm thrilled that she has join the cast.
Flag
I can't agree. I don't like her hooded eyelids and I don't like the addition of BRAND NEW BACKSTORY SURPRISE!!!!!! at the 11th hour.

Reeks of desperation on the part of the writers.

I look forward to the show ending.
Flag
Well,everyone has his own opinion.And if I told something that you didn't wanted to know,sorry but this is a comment on a review of that particular episode.
Flag
My guess is they will connect Vogel to Dexter's brother Brian at some stage. She has a big connection to other serial killers. I don't see her as the current killer but in resolving this Dexter will learn about how Vogel created other serial killers and question if she made mistakes like creating him.

It should be an interesting ride. I had never considered Dexter and Deb ending up together until reading some comments, that would be a fkd up for a lot of fans so I guess it might happen.
Flag
If Vogel is "the brain surgeon", then the writers should kill themselves right now.. Not too many eye-rolling moments this episode, and fairly enjoyable episode..
Flag
There were plenty of flags that he really wasn't a 'destined' psychopath, just a really screwed up kid, and Harry and Vogel made him into a serial killer because they screwed up.

She was shocked when he said he needed someone to talk to after Harry died, and that he actually cared about Deb...

It would be an interesting twist to find out that Dexter could have been a normal person had Harry taken him to a real shrink but instead turned him into a serial killer.
Flag
Seems like she is bad news and in the end he is going to realize she screwed him up, but he can't help what he is now and he's going to kill her to stop her crap. While in horrid conflict of course. He might even off himself or turn himself in to save Deb's sanity. That's my opinion.
Flag
what a great episode! Dexter's back! uhh, just in time to leave. oh well, can't have everything. :)
Flag
I feel and am hoping that the writers are ending this show the way it should. Dexter isn't really a psycopath! He was made into one...by Vogel. She was really thrown when she found out that he had shown empathy after his father's death. Maybe Dex really needed help instead of a code...
Flag
That wasn't empathy. It was just a need to talk to someone. But I agree that Vogel is beginning to discover that Dexter isn't what she thought he would be. He may be a psychopath in the sense that he lacks empathy, but he's not as unemotional as she thought. I think this is a very interesting development.
Flag
So, do we think that Vogel's got nefarious goals with Dexter? Some of you probably think she's actually the killer they're looking for, right?

Duh. But... haven't we been through this dance before? Do we really need to go the Occam's Razor way to find the most obviously killer available? Man, that would be so annoying to witness the writers of that show take the easy way out once again - and, make no mistake about, making Vogel the killer is taking the easy way out.
Flag
Vogel was an unnecessary addition to an already failing show.

I for one am glad it is going off the air.

Flag
Then don't watch, nobody's forcing you to.....and don't read these reviews...
Flag
That poll is so awesome, I'm conflicted which way to answer LOL.

I'm torn between which coworker will figure Dex out next -
Flag
Oops, thumb grazed enter key...anyway, I'm thinking it'll be either Batista or Masuka, because IMO, Quinn is a little too dull-witted to suspect non-obvious suspects, BUT it would be quite intriguing should it be Quinn that figures out Deb, since he's still got the hots for her.

If Deb is busted first, will she take the hits for her brother? I'm leaning towards yes, but not until she's fallen into yet another Deb-style hot-mess.
Flag
I'm early-calling ole lady being the new bad, because she's into behavioral stuff which of course involves mostly the brain, and so far the brains have looked pretty precise. I think she's recently found out she's terminal -- would brain cancer be too obvious? So now she's indulging in the forbidden that's always dangled in front of her, while also hoping once Dex figures her out, he'll take her out before the cancer does.
Flag
I was pleasantly surprised and quite happy with this episode. That hugging bit at the end was just to freakin' weird.

Dr Vogel is creepy, but I am far more interested in what other questionable/illegal methods she has employed with how ever many other "psychopaths" over the years, and why she has chosen now to bring that to Dexter's doorstep, rather than indulging in any conjecture that she is the Brain Surgeon. Evidently Dexter isn't the 1st patient she has manipulated, and it would seem her experiments are ready to have their day of reckoning.

One thing she has made clear for me and I think Dexter is getting on to now, that under her definition of a "psychopath" Dexter is truly just a guy who likes to kill people. Dexter may have some form of attachment disorder or atrophied social skills, but he isn't emotionless. He feels love, empathy, compassion, emotions that are utterly foreign to psychopaths. Perhaps at one time Dexter Morgan fit that description, but he has not for some time.

Recognizing that this is likely to be an unpopular sentiment, I'm not certain that I agree with the opinion that Dexter is unequivocally wrong in his actions, either. Had old Harry been better connected perhaps Dexter might have been recruited by the military or government as a sniper, elite ops or wetwork field agent, and suddenly his predilections are fairly legitimate because they are state sanctioned. If Dexter were out there in the wide world hunting and killing terrorists at the behest of some agency or another rather than rapists and murderers in Miami would the same judgments apply?

For me, very little in the world is black and white, right or wrong; I'm a many shades of gray sort of girl. The idea that Dexter deserves consequences feels quaint and naive to me. Most of us are taught, often in hard and brutal lessons, that little is fair in life and folks rarely get what they deserve, good or ill. One of the things I loved about Dexter was that in a terrible fashion his actions did serve to balance the scales of justice, that when the legal system failed victims, their loved ones, and the future victims, Dexter was there to eliminate another predator from the mean streets of Miami.

I have to say that I am pretty disappointed about Deb and the whole, "everything I do now is because of Dexter" shtick she is on, because it is so not Debra Morgan. Deb is the one who always carried the weight of the world on her shoulders and now she simply refuses to take any responsibility for her life or actions. I always thought she was a strong female role, crazy, foul-mouthed, tough as hell if extremely rough around the edges, so this attitude of hers bums me out.
More+
Flag
Never thought about Dexter as Mercenary, but would really fit him!

And Deb .... People who fall down and get up stronger!
Flag
It seems likely that Vogel is either the killer, or she has deep ties to the killer. Some have suggested that she's sick and trying to wrap up loose ends (ie: all of her disaffected patients), but we don't have enough info to make that call yet.

Either way, Dexter and his women are clearly driving the show and for now, that's a very good thing. The fewer telenovela subplots (love it!) we have, the better this final season will be. Though Quinn may now get sucked into Deb's spiral and discover things that lead to his death, so that could still be interesting
Flag
Reading this helps me get to sleep
Flag
Some of you probably think she's actually the killer they're looking for, right?

uh, yeah. who doesn't?
Flag
I think it's a Red Herring. I suspect either Sean Patrick Flanery's character or that new African-american lady. They both appeared out of nowhere, and he has a history of playing psychopaths, so it wouldn't surprise me - though it might surprise others. :D
Flag
yeah i hope its a red herring. it's a little obvious anyway. i agree about SPF & the new black lady. when they came on, i was like...am i supposed to remember these people from a previous ep, but i guess not.

i actually thought SPF was gonna be in el sapos vehicle after getting the jewelry back. he doesnt want 20% he wants 100% type thing, but i guess i was wrong.
Flag
@dh: Yeah, I expected him to have killed El Sapo at first as well. :)
Flag
Deb had a hangover the next day, like she was drugged. She got the sexy bottled refreshing drink back in the office, so Sean Patrick Flanery is not a gentleman....
Flag
i did like the glass/blood reveal. that was nice
Flag
I think the first thing to realize about Dr Vogel is that she is us. We have been the witness of Dexter since his chidhood and the way he has become what he is now , a "beneficial serial killer", a scrouge of the worst members of our society. As Dr Vogel, we have followed and been privvy to the discussion and input of Harry throughout this journey. When she says to Dexter that "you're not evil", she is saying what many of us have been saying for a long time. In fact all her dialogue is an expression of what we have collectively said and thought of Dexter throughout these wonderful years with him.
So now in the last season of Dexter, TPTB has put us in the story. Of course, we would be a collective psychiatrist, and of course, we as fans have been following other thrillers with serial killers, each depraved or with their own persona, and of course, we all have been motherly with Dexter. So here the producers decided to pit Dexter against others of his kind, using Vogel as our surrogate and perhaps, in a seriously hilarious twist as the Big Baddie of this finale.
If you cannot see Vogel with a sense of humour and enjoy her in that role, then, with all due respect, you are losing something really exquisite.
The first serial killer came to me as a far parody of the Wrong Turn series, in which by the way our Quinn, Desmond Harrington, also acted in. We will have to see if there is a consistency to that subplot line; but it would be interesting if it confirms. Taken in this light, these scenes are kind of comic as well.
I know many people are complaining about the Dex/Deb "relationship", but frankly, I think we shouldn't. Anything less than is being shown would be inconsistent and lack credibility. That being said, and in spite of herself, the Nature versus Nurture debate is being lost for Debbie in favor of the latest. she has already killed two people, one more and she will qualify as a serial killer. so will she, won't she, is an interesting line to follow.
More+
Flag
To get it out of the way, I already forgot all about the Quinn-Batista family mess, I think I laughed at Batista saying he was a good detective though...

And sorry, I was never a fan of Deb, but imho her current state makes her unbearable. Doesn't she already fit Dexter's code? So last episodes mess wasn't enough, now she had to kill that mob guy? Well well well, where will we go from here...

Loved all Dexter-Dr. Vogel scenes. Great idea to bring her in. But if you asked me, she is the one who orchestrated these killings. Nevertheless, that was some hug at the end of this episode!
Flag
Was the electrolyte-drink thingy the worst product placement ever? Seriously, what was that about?
Flag
Or it was so f..... right in your face. Deb got drugt! That´s the scene!
Flag
I don't care about Quinn or his storyline. Haven't given any fucks since season 1. Not sure why the writers even bother anymore.
Flag
Quinn wasn't in season 1, man. :))))
Flag
She didn't say that he was.
Flag
She said she hasn't given any fucks about Quinn's storyline since season 1. That's what her comment implies.
Flag
Quick question if jamie is out on a date with Quinn and dexter is on the hunt for a potential serial killer who the hell is looking after Harrison? Someone should call child services, just saying.

Also that animal quilt was the most horrifying, grotesque, silence of the lamb, horrible thing I've ever seen and I'm saying this after I saw that murder victim brain split in two.

Not gonna lie but the all telenovela with angel / Quinn / Jamie actually made me laugh, but for like a second I still don't understand how they are part of this show, it's unclear sometimes.

That hug in the end totally creep me out, it was very uncomfortable kinda season 7 deb confess her love to dexter uncomfortable.

Oh and I loved how dexter told Vogel "I don't take request" that was hilarious.
Flag
"Quick question if jamie is out on a date with Quinn and dexter is on the hunt for a potential serial killer who the hell is looking after Harrison?"

The dingoes ate him.

Amazing how kids disappear after they're no longer convenient - happened on Everybody Loves Raymond, it's happening here.
Flag
I really don´t understand whats´s all the complaining about. It´s a great start for the final season and I really love where this season is heading as far as I can tell it´s very intense and deep and I like that. I mean you can really feel the tension building up towards an hopefully epic and worth one of the best shows ever finale. So please if anyone really think this first 2 episodes were not good or something like that then please shut the f... up and watch some shit on NBC or ABC or whatever and don´t pretend to know the show or say you are a fan of Dexter simply because you are most likely not and you have no clue ;)
Flag
I agree with this episode being better than the premiere at setting some of the story arcs. I got the feeling (as much as I wouldn't like it to be) that Vogel is indeed the killer, things were just a little fuzzy with her. Creepy woman.
I liked the Deb and Dexter front and I noticed that they reverted the whole I hate you Dex arc in order to give them some proper screen time together.
Speaking of screen time, I worry Joey Quinn will have more of that since I couldn't help but notice, not any crap about that test, but that they sort of threw it out there that he's really not that over Deb, which probably means we'll have to see more of his face...
Flag
funniest part of the episode was for sure watching Quinn holding his tea cup like a little princess xD

ps: reading the comments here was more interesting than watching this week's episode...just saying.
Flag
Charlotte Rampling's Dr. Vogel is really good character to introduce in this final season. Enough have been said by others below that her motives for Dexter is far from pure. She is the one with even lesser empathy than Dexter and probably see many of her "creations" as experiments. It made much more sense that Dexter's dad consulted her in "creating" Dexter as I often wonder if a street cop could actually create code for Dexter. Her character make this more believable.

I am glad they did not make James Remar comment on himself in the video because Remar has always acted as Dexter "conscience" so it makes more sense if he did not.

I do wish for the series to have a good ending but I think more likely it would be tragic. And yes please quickly bring Hannan back and let her be an important part of the story !
Flag
Some interesting knowledge I stumbled upon:
Shows like dexter don't come up with names randomly, most are allusions to literary or other works. A quick Google and i found the same for Dr. Vogel. Herr Vogel, also known as the Burgomaster, was a minor character in the movie Frankenstein in 1931. He was very close friends with Dr. Frankenstein, the man who created the monster. Unlike most of the people in the village, he didn't believe that Dr. Frankenstein's creation was a "monster". Both can be said about Dr. Vogel's relationship to Harry and her thoughts about Dexter.
It should also be noted that in the movie, Herr Vogel quickly changed his views about the monster when the town jail proved unable to hold him, and Vogel then lead the mob to try and kill him. He also was later killed in the Bride of Frankenstein. I don't know if either of these two could be insights into what may happen in Dexter, if Dr. Vogel will flip and lead the charge to kill Dexter after seeing he cannot be tamed by her.
Just something interesting I thought I'd share.
Flag
Also Vogel is German for bird, probably a bird of prey in this instance.As an eagle, she has had her sight on Dexter for a long time and is now flying down for the kill.Shehas with the videos her claws well into Dexter and he seems not to be able to want at this point to run away. Normally, Dexterwould have found where she hides these videos and killed her, yet he isn't. He should have killed Hannah, but he didn't.There are reasons that are more profound than we can fathom, that are beyond the mere existential and it will be good to see how that pans out.
Flag
Nice work there and yes, it is interesting...
Flag
An ok episode...
But honestly - if Vogel really is the Brain Surgeon it will be the one "plot-twist" that will have me move the show away from my "good shows" list, to the "bad shows" list. Either way - Charlotte Rampling might still be the show's most formidable guest actor ever (obviously not counting über-genious John Lithgow)
Flag
Some people might have already mentioned this but I am fairly sure that the good doctor is behind the murders. As far as her end game is concerned I am not sure what it involves but I have confidence in the writers. The dynamics between Dexter and his sister/Dexter and Vogel are going to be, as far as I am concerned, the highlight of this season.
As always, the rest of the cast have weak story-lines and are generally flat out boring. I have come to accept this many seasons ago so I am not at all bothered, because I believe this to be part of the Dexter norm. Who knows, maybe the writers have an in-joke about Miami Metro's finest.
In the end I want to say that I enjoyed this episode very much and I really look forward to see how all this turns up.
Flag
first impression while still watching S08E02: ridiculous sfx on the smoking coffee with Deb & Quinn in the interrogation room... more to come.

Flag
and hell yeah: did you see Dexter's (MacBook) laptop in the flat shot? With the huge gp between the keyboard and the screen though closed? It still got a DVD drive, it's that "old"! And so is "it's not mine (DVD)" Dr. Vogel?
Come on, it's 2013, skip them ditches and be real, really!
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members