A Dexter Community
Showtime (ended 2013)

Dexter S08E04: "Scar Tissue"

Despite the drugs, the drinking, the guilt and whatever it was that happened in last week's episode, Deb has spent the first three hours of this season in a bit of a holding pattern. After LaGuerta's death, she ditched her job and most people close to her, hoping to escape all the things (okay, just the one thing) that reminded her of that one act in that storage unit. "Scar Tissue" began with Deb still in this weird space, and with her flashing back to the night she killed LaGuerta. Only this time, Deb doesn't let her feelings for her brother cloud her judgment; she still pulled the trigger—she just killed Dexter instead.

As we often see in final seasons, characters must often go backward to move forward and apparently Deb's not any different. Visiting the crime scene and visualizing the moment where she blew up her life wasn't easy—particularly with Vogel there badgering her about what to do—but it was necessary. It helped Deb realize that she can't change the past. But she can sure as hell try to make up for her big mistake. And so, an episode that began with Deb "killing" Dexter in the past ended with her trying to do the exact same thing in the present.

"Scar Tissue" worked not exclusively but primarily because of yet another tremendous performance by Jennifer Carpenter. To go from the zonked-out, hysterical version of Deb we saw the last three episodes to the much calmer, more driven version we saw this week probably shouldn't have worked as well as it did. It was a pretty quick turnaround, even for a character that's defined by her rash decisions and emotional instability. Nevertheless, watching Carpenter pull Deb out of her nadir and find inner peace once she realized that she had to follow in her father's footsteps was really something special. It has to be difficult for actors to act opposite videos (or any inanimate object), but Carpenter did a lovely job of portraying Deb's range of emotions as she watched some of Vogel's archival footage of her sessions with Harry.

Although Deb and Harry's relationship has always taken a backseat to Papa Morgan's tumultuous experience raising his son, that doesn't mean it's been uninteresting this whole time. The scene where Deb listened to Harry describe finding an early Dexter victim sprawled out on the table in that way we all recognize was the turning point in the episode for me, both because of Carpenter's work and because the story clicked into place. By the time Deb had reached the station lot and was being nicer and warmer to Quinn than she literally has ever been—including the whole time they were together—it was clear that Deb wasn't necessarily "better." She had simply discovered (with, uh, "help" from Vogel) that she was stuck in the same position that Harry had once found himself in, a place where affection for Dexter resulted in very bad choices. And while Harry just had to let go, Deb figures the least she can do is take Dexter with her.

That's a really bold choice. You don't just decide to kill your brother and commit suicide, even in this show's universe. Of course, even in a final season, a show can't really kill its lead character before the final episode, so Dexter was never truly in danger. Deb chose to save her brother from drowning, and in theory, we—and Deb—are right back where we started. That's a little frustrating. Nevertheless, it still feels like Deb's turned some kind of corner. The final convo between Deb and Dexter in the car, with him almost shrugging off their father's suicide, was powerful stuff. I don't know if she's proving a point (somewhat interesting) or simply unable to kill her brother, despite all he's done (probably more interesting), but it was probably time for the moping and the snorting lines to end, right?

Moreover, this stuff worked because it still came about because of Vogel and her manipulation. Unsurprisingly, she wasn't all she claimed to be in the first two episodes of the season. Dexter learned that she's still very interested in winding him up just to see what will happen, and it's obvious that her decision to show Deb the Harry clips comes from a place of pure scheming. This is another one of those instances where I'm mostly just happy that the writers didn't wait too long to show their cards with a story that most of us could see coming. Knowing what's going to happen doesn't necessarily ruin my viewing experience at all. But waiting around for an extended period of time does. I think have a good idea of where the Vogel story is headed, but the show is doing a fine enough job of staying one step ahead of me.

I'm hoping that "Scar Tissue" marks something of a mini turning point for the season. The first three episodes were far from bad (or even near this show's worst), but it was nice to see Dexter rebound from last week's loud, wheel-spinning episode with something that was both more interesting as an individual episode and likely more of a launchpad for the next four to six installments. Deb made some big choices in this one. Even she couldn't stand by the biggest one, but she can't take it back, just like she can't take back murdering LaGuerta. Something has to give.

EXCESS BLOOD SPLATTER

– The procedural stuff with Dexter hunting down Vogel's patients isn't the worst version of this story that the show has told. But after eight years, and in the final season, it's just too plodding to really care about.

– OH MY GOD YOU GUYS Quinn passed the Sergeant's exam, and then immediately got into a bar (wait scratch that, restaurant) fight. It's bad enough that Quinn's the third lead on this show in its final year, but to have to see him and Batista stuck in this dumb bureaucratic nonsense about promotions and exam scores is just painful.

– Speaking of painful: Apparently Jamie's into the rough stuff? I've never been so terrified during a scene from Dexter as I was when she started pushing on his bruised ribs mid-bump n'grind. What a character arc for her!

– This episode was full of dumb subplots that Jennifer Carpenter saved us from. Somehow, the show is now doing a story about Masuka having a long-lost daughter. It's literally like somebody on the writing staff Googled "15 Signs a TV Show Has Grown Too Old/Too Desperate."

– AND: Bethany Jo Lenz of One Tree Hill fame showed up at Dex's apartment to steal some Tide. Jamie let her in because Jamie doesn't care about Dexter's property, or Harrison's safety. Too focused on that rough sex, you guys. I can't wait until Dexter nabs Lenz's character and then Hannah shows up and poisons her with Arabian Green Root or something. I honestly can't believe I liked an episode of this show so much that had all of this garbage in it.

What'd you guys think?

149 Comments
Comments (149)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
i did googled "15 Signs a TV Show Has Grown Too Old/Too Desperate." we need a paragraph like that.
Flag
I agree wholeheartedly with the last bit in your review 'I honestly can't believe I liked an episode of this show so much that had all of this garbage in it.' Well said! I think shitty subplots & subcharacters have been a constant in Dexter but thankfully the main arc of the story (Dexter vs. evil people and suspicious minds) has generally compensated for it except for Season 6 that was dire.

Jamie, Quinn and Battista should go on a cruise and never come back. They were particularly awful this ep...

On the other hand Deb's boss is awesome, I wish there was more of him (though not necessarily daddy issue stories)
Flag
Prediction: series ends with Harrison being found sitting in a pool of Dexter's blood..unless of course they want to go all happy ending on us and Dexter somehow eliminates his "dark passenger". Otherwise why didn't they let Colin Hanks character from S6 drop him off the roof? It's not like Dexter having to play "dad" really inconveniences him or changes him much. I guess it did add Aimee Garcia's character so that's good.
Extra Splatter: does seem like they're throwing in a lot of filler and I agree, Dex's hunt of other serial killers is a bit boring.
Overall though the season is pretty good, to date they've only had one bad one, S5 with Julia Stiles...barf terrible
Flag
Staff
Excess Blood Splatter, in total agreement with every single point.

Jaime, Quinn, Batista, Harrison and to some extent Masuka....thats a whole lot of characters to have stuck in a shitty story arc for 2 seasons now. What a waste.
Flag
True. And now the mediocre actor Charlotte Rampling, not worthy of the last season focus. John Lithgow she ain't, and stinko this season so far is.
Flag
It's really interesting what they're doing at the moment. This was a real love/hate episode, everything was either great or terrible. Great was Deb's reaction to Harry's tapes, great was Dexter distancing himself from Vogel, great was the show going there and almost killing Dexter, many of the remaining things were terrible but somehow they managed not to drag the episode down. The last minute reversal could be seen as a bit of a reset button but I think Deb's next move will be riveting.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Sorry meant to reply 'Yes Please' not to flag...
Flag
Another tv show once killed off it's main character half way through the season. I believe Michael C. Hall starred in that one too...
Flag
Yes, but that one (Six Feet Under) was well written. Dexter is not.
Flag
The writers seem to have no clue how to end a show that used to be awesome. They went back and forth in this Dexter/Debra melodrama trying to justify all the actions during the past seasons. But we viewers don't need any justification, nor psychological explanation, we want an enclosure, a proper ending of a story that attracts us for years.
I, as a mother, want a good ending especially for Harrison, and I felt like this episode insinuates that something's wrong with him. Please don't do this.
As for all the side stories, whether or not sex's involved, don't bother me anymore. Apparently the writers don't have any bottom line on it.
Flag
Yo Taylor, I’m really happy for you…I’ll let you finish. But Beyonce had one of the best videos of all time! One of the best videos of all time!
Flag
Watching dexter every week is almost like torture for me.I was a big fan of the show so I don't want to stop watching so close to the end , but it's really hard to watch.
I hate every character on the show now , even debra , because nothing make sense anymore.
there are long discussions between vogel and dexter that are supposed to be interesting , but it's really not.
And debra ? one episode she is on cocaine , next episode alcool and murder , next episode she confess laguerta's murder , next episode she is in therapy with vogel and apparently live there ?? , now she is suicidal one minute , but save dexter one minute after ? WTF ? where does it make sense ? who's writing this show ?

And dexter annoys me too , he is so stupid now , so many mistakes.Every week he visit a new house , in daytime , no witness of course ...
and every time he finds some clues right in front of him in the first 10 seconds , last week it was the cannibal , this week it was the brain surgeon , he was completely caught on camera but who cares now ? he make an ambush in the hospital , a very bad one if you want my opinion , and just froze when the brain surgeon "sacrifice" his dad ?

only 4 episodes this season but there have been so many ridiculous moments that it would be really long to make a list.

I am not a hater , just a big disappointed fan , and I am not the only one apparently.

More+
Flag
True, Dexter has changed, but I don't think it's because the writers are being lazy/stupid. Dexter is a complex character and he's been evolving over the past 8 seasons. Throughout the show he's been changing the way he perceives himself, grappling with the possibility that he's not a monster after all. That question has been one of the core drivers of his character development, making him less mechanical/fake and more "human", in my opinion. A show couldn't go 8 seasons without character evolution.

I do agree the writing's not perfect and is sloppy sometimes. Him breaking into houses in daylight was necessary because the guy he was stalking works during the day, although going through the front door isn't smart.
Flag
I understand the evolution of a character , but it's very important to be logical and coherent , if the progression of the character doesn't make sense , it becomes a problem.
in breaking bad for example , walter white has changed a lot and that's what is so good , we have seen him change step by step , and it was really well done.

Dexter evolved too , but in a bad way , I am sure that Dexter in season 1 would be pissed to see what he has become 8 years after.with experience he should be smarter and smarter don't you think ? I don't know you but I feel smarter now than 8 years ago , you learn from the mistakes you make in your life ...

when Dexter started , a lot of people must have imagined how the story would go , I always thought he would have to run , or quit miami , or maybe he would get caught.
but I never expected to be that bored now , who is a danger this year for Dexter ? Debra tried to kill him but she saved him right away , the miami metro will never arrest him , ( if they do I will laugh ), the brain surgeon ? he doesn't look like a threat ...

rita's death was a amazing moment , I think the show was really amazing back then.and it's a shame that the ending probably won't be as powerful
More +
Flag
Look if they really wanted to end the series on top they would have ended it after S4 and Trinity. Yeah a lot of fans would have been clamoring for more, but it would go down as one of the most talked about and acclaimed series of all-time. S5 sucked. S6 was pretty good (I know a lot of fans hated that one but it beat S5 and Julia Stiles my miles!), S7 with Hannah as well as the Crotian mob had a lot of good stuff. This season has some ups, quite a few downs, pretty discombobulated and playing out the string but that's what happens with a drama now running Eight seasons. At least they're wrapping it up now because they could probably drag it out another couple seasons...
Flag
Nope, you're not the only one.

Torture is a good word to describe it. Loyal fans still watch, because we hope to see a good ending, but are not hopeful.

Remember when it started, how good it was? This crop of writers probably never even watched the early episodes.

Only 4 left? Oh happy day. Sooooooooooo glad this show is going off the air.
Flag
This was back to superb Dexter, and although there was background noise it felt like Season 1 something i didnt think was possible. FUCK ANY AWARD SHOW THAT SNUBS DEXTER!. that is all.
Flag
it felt like season 1 ????????
really ? for me it really doesn't feel like season 1.they want to connect some plots back to season 1 , but that's why everything seems so incoherent for me.because Dexter in season 1 have nothing in common with Dexter this season.
season one was all about Dexter , about his loneliness , he had rita but had so much trouble connecting with her , it felt real and profound , he was like an actor playing a role in front of everybody , where is that now ?
watch season 1 again and I am sure you will see a lot of differences , especially the rythm and the tone
Flag
So true. Dexter is a cartoon now, and his pals are Archie's Gang. Stupid and laughable.

The writers should watch Season One, which I'm sure they've never seen.
Flag
funny how you look back on things and wonder "how could I have written that?" :p they could have done so much. DR Vogel could have been interesting. ah well, all ancient hjistory now.
Flag
We are finding out about Dexter and his origins. He is trying to connect with Deb and not quite getting there, he seem to be on his own now that Deb knows who he is. not saying its as good as Season 1 mind you.... but i get the feeling they are trying to tie everything up and we are finding out things about Dexter again.
Flag
Did anyone else notice that that the bottle cap on Debra's boss' beer suddenly disappeared between the toast 'clink' and him saying "Its a better toast if you open it"?

That bothered me, but at least Vogel had better spelling and grammar than the last time they showed someone's writing on screen (i.e dexter's police reports)
Flag
Good catch. I had to endure the pain (easier with fast-forwarding) of re-watching, but it looks like sloppy continuity of the long and close-up shots. What can you expect from a show that has no continuity in character or plot-line anyway?

Dexter intones, boringly, that there's no one home, but doesn't check the garage. Guess The Bundler takes the bus to work. So The Bundler only has CCTV in his closet, not at his front door? Sloppy killer. Dexter reads the calender for us, because we can't read it for ourselves. Dexter points out the shoes are women's shoes, because we can't figure that out for ourselves. I guess the writers figure the audience still watching this drek needs all these assists.

So now Dexter is not only trusting Vogel, but he's trusting some new bimbo with his kid. Well, what can you expect from a show that has Deb turning off her cop AND PI brain to the extent that she doesn't lift prints and DNA from Vogel's house to run a background check on her?

Wow. This show is not even on a par with The Closer, and that was one huge stinker.

Oh well. Soon it will be off the air.
More +
Flag
The list of sloppy writing goes on and on... For me, the craziest thing was the fact that Vogel had a patient who had a part of his brain removed and he wasn't the number one on her suspects list??
Flag
Funny that the calendars in the Bundler's House as well as a recent memo Dexter was reading are dated July 2012...Did they make this a year ago and screw up that simple act of planning to air it in 2013? Poor.
Flag
Oh thank god, its not just me.
I was screaming at the tv when Dexter said he wasn't home because the van isn't there, "WHAT ABOUT THE GARAGE? RIGHT THERE!"
I really hope the season ends with Dexter getting his brain cut open (maybe by Vogel :D ) and they discover a tumor, the season finale ends with the line "With a tumor this size in this position he would have been getting progressively dumber for the last 4 years"
Flag
Dexter is dumber because the writers are lazy and just use scenaristic shortcuts every five minutes.every time he's breaking in a house , there are clues everywhere , it's ridiculous.
there are coincidences all the time.
and it was funny when he met the neighbor , it felt like californication for a moment , 10 seconds in the room and it feels like they are sleeping together soon :-)
Flag
Yeah, why are they bringing another useless romantic interest into the picture? I rolled my eyes when I saw the neighbor. Don't they have enough on their plate already to write about?
Flag
Hah...good ending. If only.
Flag
Every seasonal character who knows about Dexter's secret dies in the end,the only exception being Hannah McKay.So,Vogel WILL die in the end.He couldn't kill Hannah because he loved her,same with the case of Deb.But there is no such obligation with Vogel. He didn't kill her in the first episode because she didn't fit the code.In order to fit the code,Vogel had to have killed someone and gotten away with it.So,Vogel killed Harry!
Flag
That's definitely where this is going. Vogel killed Harry. I hope that's not the BIG REVEAL in the final season. Please tell me that dexter figures this out by minimum episode 7.
Flag
Yeah, that's probably the big reveal. And then Dexter goes and kills her, because she fits the code. The same way he did with Miguel Prado. Same old, same old.
Flag
Lumen from season 5 is also alive. So is Jonah from season 4.
Flag
I disagree about it ending up where it started. Deb finally got to try to "correct" her mistake by killing Dexter but when she saw him sinking, she realized she couldn't let him die, just like she couldn't kill him in the shipping container. She had to find that out. Now that she has, she should be able to at least partially move on.
Flag
yeah i think she had to giver herself the chance for her fantasy of how things could have been different from laguerta`s choice and acting it out to realise that she had no choice. in a way it was probably cleansing for her. sometimes you have to pick at a scab for it to heal properly.
Flag
Ok, I thought that Vogel was kinda creepy from the beginning. On episode 2 she was surprise that Dexter cared for somebody. I buy that, but the creepy hug not so much. Then, all the talk about Dexter beeing perfect. Don't get me wrong, I love Dexter, but he's far from perfect, specially from a psycological perspective. On episode 3, she tried and tried to show Dexter that he really didn't need Deb on his life. Of course she was manipulating him! She was experimenting with psychopaths, for crying out loud! Dexter was an experiment for the new kind of humans or whatever she thinks! The code was her idea! I wouldn't go as far as say that Dexter wouldn't be killing if Harry didn't seek her advice, but there is something off about the whole thing.
Now, what Deb did was heartbreaking and understandable at the same time. Her father killed himself allegedly because of Dexter. She did of kind of things because of Dexter. At some point she had to do something besides trying to understand her brother.
Flag
I agree - I've never met a psychologist / psychiatrist who would call any human being 'perfect'. It is a non-sensical notion as humans are all flawed... so that kind of thinking and her experimenting with patients would indicate that she is a psychopath herself, a doc with God complex
Flag
Its the final season so I guess it is time that the supporting characters get some air time. I wish though that the subplots would be more cohesive and not be so distracting from the main event. I like the way that this is the season that Dexter and Deb redefine their relationship. I think Vogel brainwashed Harry and Dexter both into believing Dexter is a psychopath unable to have true feelings for anyone and has an insatiable need to kill. It begs the question, if psychopaths cannot have empathy or have genuine feelings then is Dexter a true psychopath or is it just a defense mechanism that is the result of the damage of seeing his mother killed and being locked in the trailer in all that blood with his brother in the dark? Over the years, Dexter who initially believed he was incapable of feelings, has proven he is all too human after all.

Flag
theory on the show:

right up until deb made the car swerve into the water i thought that deb would commit suicide, dexter would later find out that vogel killed harry and made it look like suicide by overdose, he would later kill her, and the spirit of deb would then take over as the embodiment of the dark passenger to where he stops killing people.

the vogel killing harry/get killed by dexter part may still happen btw.
Flag
"Speaking of painful: Apparently Jamie's into the rough stuff? I've never been so terrified during a scene from Dexter as I was when she started pushing on his bruised ribs mid-bump n'grind. What a character arc for her!"

Apparently you failed to recognize spiteful-beotch behavior even when it's right in front of you - or were you too busy watching her ass instead of her face? Quinn let's her know she caused him pain, she instantly goes back to do it again - not because it's some kinky sex thing but because that's the price she is making him pay for how he got the wound: defending his ex-girlfriend. Jamie has been a fairly transparent, and not so flattering stereo-type of women (esp. Latinas) which is not cool in my book. The last few scenes she has been in definitely bring that out.

Regarding Quinn himself, it would seem everyone has forgotten (including the writers...) that when he was a new hire in the department he hated Dexter and was trying to pin something on him... perhaps they will bring that around given his friendship with Deb again, who knows?

Either way, enjoyed this episode but hey! the Matsuko thing - just a little over the top in ewwww factor, sorry.
More+
Flag
I didnt know how many curse words were in my vocab until the last few minutes of this episode.
Flag
I'm enjoying this season and Deb & Dexter are phenomenal as always. I've always been a Deb fan and while I can see why people get annoyed with her, I have to say I fucking love her and her creative cursing!
Flag
have to say always enjoyed Deb, but this season she deserve all kind of awards shes getting snubbed for...and the people in charge know that!
Flag
No clue why they keep Quinn so much on tis show, he must have a great agent ... good for him, not so good for the show ... starting to fear that he is going to play a role in the finale ... Imagine if h finally starts to put the puzzles together ... even he can't be so dull ... just think about the previous seasons ... the ex-police guy that observed Dexter and Lumen, he was called Liddy and got stabbed with him outside ... him and the Kyle Butler sketch ... Debra confessing the LaGuerta Murder ... I know the juice runs slow in Quinn's Mind but eventually it will flow ...
This reminds me, why hasn't Dex tied up those lose ends, yet ... son of trinity, etc ?
Flag
I have no qualms with the actor (I actually loved the work Desmond Harrington turned in on Justified), but god the character is just awful. He's a shoot-first and don't-ever-ask-questions-because-he-can't-muster-the-intelligence-to-do-so type of meathead cop that definitely has a place on the force and in the show, but as a complete background character. Have him make the odd funny remark, or use his stupidity to make other characters' intelligence stand out, but why oh why is he a central character.

Blame the writers, though. Harrington is doing a decent enough job for the material he's given. That said, I still would greatly prefer for him to have exited several seasons back.
Flag
Thanks for the feedback
Flag

First of all what the fuck !!!! when deb stirred the car into the lake I was waiting for the "it's got be a dream" sequence to end and when it didn't , it just got more and more disturbing which leads me to my next question what the fuck !!!!!! I think it's safe to say that deb has hit rock bottom now. I honestly thought she was just going to kill herself I mean why else was she being so nice to Quinn , she even called him joey (I didn't even know it was his name) so I was definitely surprised by the last scene of this episode.

Angel saying out loud what all of us were thinking "what does Jamie see in you"

Harrison has an imaginary friend…. Somehow this makes perfect sense and also really cracked me up

Deb finally brushed her hair and looks like she even used shampoo , yey!!!

Flag
i think as the theme at the start showed she had to act out the other reality in her mind in real life to see if it would have been more bearable. and it wasnt. Carpenter, amazing.
Flag
I didn't take the whole Jamie + rib thing as she was into the rough stuff.

I think she was punishing the guy because YET AGAIN he showed how strong his feelings are for his ex.

I'm a guy, and not a lucky one at that, and even I know that continuing to show your feelings for your ex in front of your current girlfriend is just asking for trouble: be it passive aggressive (oops I threw out your cellphone charger) to full on crazy pants. We have him going out to help her, getting into a first fight over her, all with his current GF like 2ft away.
Flag
I'm totally with you Cory. I loved it and I can't stop saying how truly amazing Jennifer Carpenter's performance was.
On the other hand, Masuka did get the least interesting plot development ever and too much Quinn for one episode.
But it worked and was worth it due to Carpenter's outstanding acting.
Flag
the whole Masuka and his long lost Daughter scene was just creepy on so many levels.. starting with his leering and ending with them sharing that same corny date rape laugh together.

worst line I've ever heard on Dexter:" Oh my god.. you have my haunting yet soulful eyes..."
Flag
Agreed, I cringed so many times in that scene.
Flag
It's been 8 years and they still haven't figured out how to keep the secondary characters integrated in the main storyline. I honestly couldn't give a rat's behind about any of them ... especially now that the most unrealistic thing on television ever has happened (dumbass quinn passing the sergeant exam).
Thank goodness for Deb!
Flag
Sometimes in final seasons, writers try to do something to show some love and respect for the fans and demonstrate that they have indeed been listening.

How great would it have been if Quinn failed, and between that and the bar fight, he was just let go. No heroic exit, no long goodbyes, just a quick "see ya."
Flag
ah .. if only!
Flag
I suspect that the reason why several of Vogel's patients are killing people is that this is what she always wanted them to do. She has been creating serial killers for 20 years. So she has more lives on her conscience than anyone Dexter has met so far, including Trinity and himself. She probably killed Harry as well. It seems very appropriate for the show's final season to have Dexter kill her.

Flag
I called that one a couple reviews ago
Flag
she is the serial killer whisperer and gets them to do what she wants
Flag
yes, she is Hannibal Lecter, it seems
Flag
I liked the episode, and I like the season so far. Vogel is no Trinity, but she's not supposed to be. She's what the show needs to go back to its roots, the exploration of Dexter's mind. This is what the show needs to do in order to have a proper ending.

We have always been saying that Dexter isn't as unemotional as he claimed to be in season 1, and now the show is confirming it through the interaction with Vogel. I think the show is going to continue to confirm that Vogel was wrong, and that Dexter could have been led down a very different path. I have always felt that Lila got it right in season 2, that Dexter is more of an addict than the kind of psychopath that Vogel thinks he is.

There's been some discussion about whether Dexter is a psychopath or not in these comments. I don't think this question has a yes or no answer. He meets some of the criteria normally associated with psychopaths, in particular the lack of empathy, but he doesn't meet all the criteria. His love for Deb, Harrison and Rita is genuine. Maybe not as intense as it would have been if he had been normal, but it's still very real. He's also not inclined to blame others for things that are his fault. Tony Soprano would trick a guy into debt, break his knees to get him to pay the debt, and say that it was his own fault for getting in debt. Then he would say that he had to do it to "put food on the table" for his kids. Dexter isn't like that at all. He's not blaming anyone else. He knows that it's his fault that Deb is suffering.

I like the theory that Vogel killed Harry. That didn't even occur to me until I read these comments. I like the idea because it never made sense to me that Harry would kill himself because of Dexter. The theory is supported by James Remar's acting in that scene. He certainly didn't seem suicidal.

I don't agree with the complaints about the side stories. The show seems to be spending less time on them than it used to, and they seem to have a point this time.
The writers are trying to ensure that most of the characters will be in a different situation when the show ends. I'm not sure where they're going exactly, but they seem to be going somewhere.
More+
Flag
well said and I agree.

I found it interesting watching the LaGuerta murder scene again. I forgot Dexter had put down his weapon and basically was going to let Deb kill him. I don't think he has the understanding of emotions/empathy to know for sure she wouldn't kill him (she tends to do the right thing). I think he really loves his sister and would sacrifice his life for hers (he seemed passive then and not manipulative imo)...no so sure anymore since she tried to kill him (but I can understand that and I tthink Dexter will also understand).

I've always loved watching Deb and Dex and the rest of the characters are just filler. I like Masuka but he hasn't shown much character growth (but he's great comic relief)
Flag
Dexter is awesome but why is it that the only exciting thing that has been happening in the last two episodes have only happened in the last 5 minutes of those episodes. I hope the next one is an improvement. It looks like it will be.
Flag
Anyone here,who really cares what happens and is going on atm with Quinn,Jamie,Batista,new lady cop,Masuka or any other character?
I know I only watch it now for Dex and Deb and to have closure. I hate Vogel,those killings Dex is doing are boring as hell,support cast sucks...Trinity,where are you,when we need you!??!?!?
Flag
No. I can't wait for the show to end.

The Trinity writers have left the building and the local grammar school kids are writing this season. With crayons.
Flag
So-so episode,but I did like it the most out of 4 so far. I love the fact,that uni-f-bomber Deb never disappoints...that was truly one and only good consistent thing over 8 years.
I am glad,that they showed how they both surfaced at end,because ending episode,like what if one died,would be cliche and painful,because we all know they would make it either way. On other note,I thought this would be in some way perfect ending for this show. You would be left with this question,if Deb killed Dex,saved him,both died,etc. Would come full circle with this LaGuerta thing + whole Dex kills people thing.
I disagree with you on Deb saving Dex,because even Vogel said,that Deb would always choose Dex,same as he would her. So it was logical,she went back and hopefully from her we move on,not back again to Deb hating herself for saving Dex.

Don't know,if anyone said this(probably they did),but has anyone getting the feeling Vogel(who I still hate) killed Harry?
Flag
I love dexter and adore MCH buuuut, this episode was a bit boring actually....
Flag
One of the possibilities for the ending was having Dexter dead. But now in this episode we already had a scene which involved Dexter in danger of death. It would be a bit too much to have it repeated just a few episodes later... I wonder if that means that Dexter won't die.

And yes, great performance from Carpenter, one of those that will never make it to the Emmys.
Flag
"As we often see in final seasons"
This final season just got even more derivative and uninteresting with this dull episode, IMHO. Not even the interactions/conversations between Dexter and Voguel were compeling to watch, unlike in the previous episodes. It's really sad to see this is becoming one of the worst seasons of a once great series =(
Flag
Maybe they are doing it deliberately. Like Sheldon Cooper said about Heroes: The writers made it progressively worse so the fans were happy when it finally ended. ;-)
Flag
Ain't that the truth. Instead of going out with a bang, they're going out with dry heaves.

Soooooooooooooooooo glad this show is ending.

"It's really sad to see this is becoming one of the worst seasons of a once great series "

Sooooooooooooooooooooooo true!!!!!!!!!!!
Flag
So far, this isn't the conclusion one of my favorite shows and characters deserved, IMHO, very far from it.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
I think it's pretty obvious that most of us couldn't care less about the side plots. Side plots on this show have been weak for years, and there's just not any characters who are strong enough to carry those arcs. For the most part, when those stories come up, I go crack another beer or grab a bag of chips.

But for the second season in a row, the main storyline is strong. Vogel is a tool that the writers are using to get Dexter and Deb back in each others lives, and doing so with no lack of manipulation. Deb has been on a roller coaster this season, but I think she is where she should be. Her being okay with Dexter last season never felt right. But now, I don't know whether her and Dexter's relationship just blew up, or got stronger. And I think that's more of a natural place for this show to be.

I don't think that this series will end with Dexter sacrificing Deb just like Vogel's patient did with his own father, but I think that proving Vogel right and Dexter wrong would be a bold move for a show. Though I'm sure it would tear the fan base in half.
More+
Flag
"Vogel is a tool"

Ain't that the truth.
Flag
I didn't care for about 90% of the episode. For the first time during all these years of me watching Dexter, Deb/Jennifer Carpenter was the only part of the episode I really truly liked. I've never been a big fan of Deb/Carpenter and I've often found her more annoying or repulsive than pleasant and interesting, but she was the ONLY character in this episode that I gave a fuck about, and more than any time last season or in the entirety of the show, I really liked Carpenter's acting. I think maybe it had to do with the fact that this was her at her most competent... she wasn't stupid or drugged out or emotionally volatile or insecure about stupid shit or wanting to fuck everything up. She was pleasant, and I guess I like Carpenter's appearance and acting a lot more when she's playing pleasant.

We're only 4 episodes in and I'm already SO bored with the main plot involving Vogel's patients. Masuka has a hot daughter via sperm bank? Why would I care about this in the 8th season? I guess I'm a bit thankful that Quinn took the exam and passed already -- it would have sucked to see that drawn out -- but I really don't care if he makes sergeant or not. Although, I will say that I did kind of like the scene where Angel first tells Quinn that he passed; Quinn's surprised grin and Angel's reaction to his 'positive test' joke was a decent enough scene for me.
More+
Flag
Soooooooooo glad to see the hate for this lame season.

Not to worry, the writers will change it next episode. They'll kill Masuka's daughter and Quinn will be even more Orange. He looks like an Oompa Loompa from Charlie and The Chocolate Factory. Too bad he doesn't fall in a vat of chocolate.

Stupid, stupid end to a show that started off great.

But hey, they must have paid off the author to have nothing more to do with his books, right?

Has anyone read the books? This show is light years (distance, not time, right Sheldon?) away from the books and suffers for it.

Soooooooooooooooooo glad this show is going off the air.
Flag
The books aren't really that great. The character and his situation are really the only things unique about both the book.
Flag
What a horrible fucking episode. One of the worst things in history of television.
Flag
YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Another post of hate, I love it!

Isn't it sad, Marcin, from a show that started out so great???
Flag
yup, first 2 seasons were very good, today, Dexter is utter crap.
Flag
Boring episode IMHO, the only positive thing was Carpenter's acting.
Flag
Well, I may be in the minority but I'm interested to see what Bethany Jo Lenz character (whatever her name is) brings to the table. I could care less about Hannah, she was never that great in my book, JMO. Off the bat, got the Rita feel from Bethany's character. The fact is Dexter is a father and at some point Harrison will need a mother, and sorry Hannah ain't it. Loved all Dexter and Debs scenes, when she went to see Dexter at the station, I knew than Debs was probably going to try and kill Dexter as well as herself. Now it's going to be interesting to see how these two deal with the fact Deb wanted them dead. Dr. Vogal too aggressive for her own good sometimes. I enjoyed this eppy.
Flag
I thought the epi was okay, weak points were the side characters, some of the dialogue and Dexter's improbable vetting skills.
Flag
Starting a Bethany story will only be going back to Rita's story. Already been there. Doubt the show will do that, but you never know...
Flag
eh, am I the only one who did not enjoy this episode?

It was too slow, it felt like nothing happened. Vogel is still uninteresting and sort of bland. Deb tried to kill Dexter? Meh..I knew she'd save him.

And Dexter never fit the role of a psychopath, may be in the beginning he did but so much stuff has happened since. He does have emotions. He felt anger when Rita died (the guy he killed in the bathroom), and in the episode where Rita died, he realized he has grown to love her. He said something along the lines of how his family is not a cover. Psychopaths have no feelings, he is not faking his feelings. You can't tell me that he did not feel pain when Rita died, or that he doesn't love his son....

So sick of this Vogel stuff, I wish she go away or become the least bit interesting, you know? << :(

Hopefully next week is better...
Flag
I was bored to the max with 3/4 of the episode but I really liked the remaining 1/4 ... so ... hmm ... "meh"?
Flag
Guess you missed where I said I can't wait for this stupid show to go off the air.

It should have ended long ago.
Flag
You don't HAVE to watch this show. You post these asinine comments every week. Move the f!@# on.
Flag
Don't be bad, some people just don't know how to use their tv remotes.
Flag
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
Flag
I still like the show, just hated the episode. lol <

I think some seasons are better than others. I think I liked Season 5 best (because of Julia Stiles of course), but last season was also pretty decent. I just don't like this Vogel nonsense and the talk about how Dexter is a psychopath EVERY SINGLE EPISODE. <
Flag
I found the episode trying to watch most of the time. You are right about all the subplots Cory, the procedural aspect is to plodding to care about, I really don't care about Quinn, Batista, or Jamie, don't really want to experience the pain of Masuka as a father storyline any further, and now they're trying to throw in a random love interest for Dexter? (even, as you suggest, Hannah will swoop in and kill her).

You are also right in saying that Jennifer Carpenter, or Deb, saved us from them. Apart from Vogel. I've gone from being slightly excited, mildly disappointed, and have now reached completely dissatisfied with a character that the writers have hosen to play such a pivotal role in the final season. I seriously seem to think she's going to continue talking pop-psychology to Dexter and Deb until the bitter end of the season unfortunately.

Despite knowing that Deb 'wasn't necessarily better', as you put in Cory, and was going to most likely crash the car her and Dexter were in, I still loved it. In fact, I've always thought that I would have hated seeing Deb kill Dexter as the ending to the series, but I have to honestly say, with the set up being different obviously, that I wouldn't have minded if that's where the writers decided to end Dexter. With Deb, unable to stand the guilt of what she has done, and what she continues to let the man she once loved do, killing herself and Dexter, her being his only constant human connection and emotion tie for the entire series. That would have been a good ending. Now I just hope the writers can think of something even better.
More+
Flag
"Now I just hope the writers can think of something even better."

The same writers who appear to be writing week to week with no continuity or intelligence? Those writers?

The writers who have Batista acting like an idiot? Unless he's secretly in love with The Mighty Orange Quinn, he shouldn't be pushing to have him under his command. Oh WAIT Quinn had one good moment this episode, never mind that the female cop whateverhernameis is better and in the real world would be chosen for the job and if she found out she scored higher than Mr. Coppertone could sue the city. Those writers?

The writers who have Dexter intoning monotonous voice-overs and until now (he will relent) following a perfect stranger around like a puppy dog starved for affection. Those writers?

Ditto on Deb, who is suddenly lacking a brain. Those writers?

I very much doubt it. Then again, they haven't set the bar very high, so they could end this on a good note if they off everyone.
Flag
LOL. "The Mighty Orange Quinn"

You sir, have made me genuinely laugh. Thank you! XD
Flag
Plenty of forgetable boring junk in this episode, it was only save by brillent acting and a great main plot.
Flag
I agree with the procedural stuff, it has gotten really old.
Flag
oh and LOL @ Masuka hitting on his own daughter..
Flag
Well it was weird,how she didn't say right away,that she is his daughter once he started hitting on her.
Flag
Oh, and I love the title of your notes section, Excess Blood Spatter!

Flag
Spatter also works.Kind of.
Flag
Spatter is better. It's in Dexter's job description for Harry's sake...
Flag
Splatter, sorry dude...
Flag
I think I like it--well, most of it, anyway--but what choice do I have, it's almost over. And yes, Carpenter is kicking some acting ass these days. I bet she doesn't swear all that much IRL. But then again, she's quite adept at it so who the fuck knows? Is she that good an actress? Maybe so, just may be so...
Flag
Mind blowing episode.
Flag
totally agree, was very very enjoyable.
Flag
Hey Dex and assorted other idiots on this stupid show - have you done a background check on Vogel? Other idiot Deb - you had ample time to get her DNA - done a DNA test on her?

No? Why not? So you both implicitly trust a complete stranger who just happened to show up after HOW many years and hang on her every word?

You're both worse than stupid.

Sooooooooooooooooo glad this stupid show is going off the air. How many more episodes of this?
Flag
Her identity has already been confirmed by their boss working with her way back in the day. A DNA test isn't really needed but yeah.. a background check or more digging by Dexter was/is definitely. Her motives are extra shady.
Flag
YESSS!
Flag
I hope so after seeing the video from Harry's last session. That was some terrible acting by James Remar if he was supposed to be suicidal, but good acting if he was just thinking that he had made a mistake.
Flag
Ah,I knew someone had same thought. Yeah I also think she dozed Harry to afterlife:D
Flag
Watch out Deb...
Flag
Yeah that's what i think too
because he was about to turn Dexter in
Flag
Ok, please don't hate but I actually really like Quinn on the show lol Quinn fans do exist!
Flag
I can maybe understand liking Quinn or simply tolerating him, but to be a FAN of his? I just don't see how he's done anything remotely significant enough to have fans... unless you just find Quinn/Desmond Harrington attractive or something.
Flag
Staff
Quinn is at least stupidly entertaining. He's much better than Batista, and was better than LaGuerta.
Flag
I agree. "Stupidly entertaining" = Lt. Quinn
Annoyed by his arcs, I often catch myself chuckling though.
Flag
I hate Quinn, but yeah, Batista has always been the blandest character. He's just around to play the nice friend of everybody's. It was fine enough during the first few seasons -- he was the opposite of Doakes in some ways -- but after 7+ years of the same thing, he's really pointless.
Flag
I liked it but after reading your notes I was reminded by the nonsense. Shit like this might fly in another show, some procedural cop drama like CSI or something, but not here. If there's no grizzly murder involved with a sub-plot, I don't care about it, end of story.
Flag
Wasn't there even a grizzly murder? Somewhere, a young woman with multiple stabbing wounds? Meandering at the fringes of the episode...
You're right, too little to call it a sub sub plot, or even a sub sub sub plot.
Flag
The first good episode of the season.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members