A Dexter Community
Showtime (ended 2013)

Dexter S08E10: "Goodbye Miami"

The following sentence was in the episode summary for "Goodbye Miami" on the Showtime screener site: "In the end, an important person in Dexter's life is murdered right in front of him." As I watched the episode with that text hanging over the video window, I couldn't help but imagine all the gruesome possibilities. Who could the important person be—Deb? Harrison? Hannah? And in what circumstances would the victim perish? Would Deb kill Hannah, or would Hannah take out Deb? (Or, perhaps in a perfect world, would Harrison kill them both?)

Of course, I should have known by now—some 10 hours into Dexter's final season—that the show can't even really kill somebody right, much less make that kill compelling. Instead of the people truly close to him, Dexter lost Dr. Vogel in "Goodbye Miami," redefining the word "important" in such a way that I couldn't help but laugh. This is a season that could have had so many things going for it, but one that never really figured out exactly what to do, or when to do it. Frankly, that sums up Dr. Vogel's arc as well. It feels like ages ago now that we were all really jazzed about both the character and Charlotte Rampling's performance, and yet, after a few fascinating conversations about what it means to be the anomalous serial killer/emotional feeler that Dexter is, Vogel became another tired, inconsistent victim of the show's typical storytelling engine. Rampling did the best she could, and she and Michael C. Hall had great chemistry until the bitter end. But her role in the story never clicked after Deb ran Dexter off the road. Vogel had to die—because that's what people on this show do—but for her to ultimately be so hapless and ineffectual is supremely disappointing. 

Worst of all, though, is that the show actually wanted us to think that her death is important. We're all used to the kind of character inconsistencies this show produces, but it sure seemed like every week, Dexter had a fairly substantial reason to distrust and/or want to kill Vogel. And now he's crushed over the weight of her death? Ehhhh. I'm guessing that if you asked the writers to explain this season's story, the B.S. company line would be something about Dexter's place between these two worlds. You know how I know that? Because they've said it once a week for six episodes. Okay, so Dexter's distracted by the possible life he could have with Hannah and Harrison (but really just Hannah), and maybe before that he was distracted by his attachment to Deb, and both of those things are at war with his inner sociopathic desire. In theory, I buy that—and it almost sounds like a solid idea to explore in a final season. Yet, the manner in which the show has gone about actually exploring that story has never worked, partially because no character has acted the same two weeks in a row all season, and partially because it's not like Dexter having feelings is a new development. The show used Vogel to tell us that it was SO WEIRD for Dexter to care and to kill, but we at home already know that; we've known that for about a decade now. So what's the point, and what in the world is the payoff? If it's Vogel's death, something of a reckoning for Dexter and his split lifestyle, then it's going to be hard for me to type anything other than LOL in the next two reviews. 

Again, there's a version of this story that works more interestingly, and there's a chance that some of it will still comes to fruition as the series wraps things up for good. Deb and/or Hannah are likely to die as well, probably at the hands of Saxon. However, think about how many of the final two episode's big stories are really just things that have been introduced in the last few weeks. As the Brain Surgeon, Saxon's technically been around for most of the season, but we didn't learn much about him until a couple episodes ago. This is your final season Big Bad, played by a poor man's Ryan Gosling? He's nothing more than a blunt instrument, and if the show tries to keep pushing the idea that Dexter could have turned out worse, it's going to be end up lower in the Atlantic than most of the bodies Dexter's thrown off the Slice of Life over the last eight years. Not only that, but reinforcing how special or great Dexter turned out to be is just about the worst thing the show could do at this juncture.

Furthermore, we know that Dexter's search for Saxon is going to coalesce with the Marshal's search for Hannah, which Deb has now been pulled into. Dexter and Deb's relationship hasn't been as remotely complex or compelling as it was last season, so much so that when she found out he was taking the makeshift family to Argentina, neither one could barely muster up THAT much crap to argue about. Remember when Deb shot LaGuerta and basically had a mental breakdown? Dexter doesn't. Deb deserves to get out of this mess, but she was always going to get pulled back in. That's not the problem; rather, it's that the show didn't come up with any solid reason for her to be in a position to hide Hannah and lie to a U.S. Marshal about it. That's where the show's writers need Deb to be, just like they needed the Marshal character as a threat (because heaven forbid Batista figures something out, or even Elway or Quinn). It's sloppy, and it's a dumb. 

And there's not even that much to say about Hannah this week because she, like everyone else on the show, acted like an idiot. YOU HAD ONE JOB. Also: a treadmill? Seriously? If both Deb and Hannah die by Saxon's hand, it won't be a surprise. It also won't have any impact whatsoever. Dexter can keep telling us that people like Vogel are important, or trying to convince us that Saxon is a worthy adversary, but by now it's absolutely clear that the show is full of empty BIG moments and toothless characters. The end is very, very near, and thank goodness for that.

EXCESS BLOOD SPLATTER

– This episode had so many problems that the Quinn-Deb scene was somehow the best one of the night. Desmond Harrington tries, people. But I couldn't help but think of these AWESOME REDDIT "SPOILERS" while watching that scene. 

– Jamie graduated from "School," turned down a cool opportunity for Quinn, got dumped by him, and then told Deb that she could go f*ck herself. Nice week for her.

– Masuka's daughter came to the crime scene high, everybody. There were less than three hours left in the show's history when the writers sat down to do this script and they thought that Masuka's sperm -pawn tokin' up was relevant. 

– Batista has literally done nothing this season. So that probably means he'll be the next IMPORTANT PERSON to die. 

What'd you think of "Goodbye Miami"?

394 Comments
Comments (394)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Vogel's character, in the end, was a total waste. Just like Zach. Curse this show...
Flag
If those Reddit spoilers are really how this show ends - FUCK YOU WRITERS/PRODUCERS for SHITTING all over your show. You've been pissing on it for years now, but now you're just squatting on it and taking a big fat dump on its face for the final. REALLY? Ugh. This is why I've stopped watching TV. Shows start out awesome and then the writers totally get lazy and stupid and turn a great series to shit. I was going to make more Debra "Fucking" Morgan music videos (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbAN5g0MUpU)...but if this is how it ends...I don't think I care enough to bother, at least not with seasons 7/8 anyway.

Before this season was just boring......but now....now I'm pissed off. What a giant "Fuck you" to the fans. And the producers are PROUD of this shit? *pulls hair out*
Flag
This season has been terrible. The only "fun" part was hearing how many times they mentioned Argentina. As an Argentinian, I couldn't stop laughing every time they said the name.
At least they showed real pictures of the country, instead of the ridiculous shots from HIMYM that looked more like Brazil ;)
Flag
Two words; Train Wreck! Please everyone, Do NOT watch the spin off series these clown writers are angling for. This show has gone down hill since the end of S4 and is winding up with the most ridiculous season of the lot.
Poor acting, terrible script, bad storylines. I'm intrigued to see just how many stupid things they throw at the board the final 2 eps.
Flag
accurate/great review
love the suggestion of "LOL" for reviews for the rest of the season
Flag
"I don't believe a serial killer can walk happily into the sunset," showrunner Scott Buck told TODAY before joining the others on stage. "Otherwise, I would feel very uncomfortable about sending that message out that serial killers are great, they're fantastic and deserve happiness."

http://www.today.com/entertainment/dexter-showrunner-talks-end-serial-killer-cant-walk-happily-sunset-8C11144324

Oooooooooooooooooooooooh, is he toying with us?

Do I care?

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Flag
Anyone still not convinced how moronic and hateful Dexter is? Want more evidence? Happily:

http://www.paraddisso.com/2013/09/dexter-review-goodbye-miami.html

Good riddance, you moronic, stupid, hateful show and you moronic, stupid, hateful writers.
Flag
More hilarity. Sad when the snark is the only good thing about this stink show.

Flag
That was awesome. And so true!
Flag
Hilarious. And the stunt "kid" is about 5x Harrison's size. LOL. You're right though this show has become nothing more than sad!
Flag
What a waste of good writing talent, that lasted years... to end up in a desperate attempt to just end a series, anyway possible. They could have been Great... farking idiots.
Flag
1000000000% agree. After season 4...they just stopped thinking things through! So much build and so much WASTED potential EVERY season that followed. UGH!
Flag
it's really sad that when i look back on all the seasons, this is how it all ended- a crappy season finale as a token of appreciation for watching this show from day 1
Flag
You know it's bad when you care about Quinn's scenes.
I did feel a little tension whenever Hannah showed up on screen. I kept looking everywhere to yell her to hide in case the Marshall showed up, so THAT part worked for me this episode.
Also, Harrison does bleed quite a lot. There was enough blood in that towel to have him at least fainted.

What I did find incredible this week was Micheal C. Hall's performance in that last close up over Vogel's body. The hue of emotions that go through his face are just amazing.
Flag
I can't believe this - my favourite character is Quinn now. This is how bad this show's gotten!! At least Quinn is such a moron, that you can't help but root for him. I mean ... how funny was it, when he was actually trying to give advice to Deb?? :D "It was difficult to leave New York, but in the end it turned out to be the best decision of my life" hahahah really? Is your life so great now? You didn't get promoted, chosen over by a random person we haven't seen in 8 years, you were / are corrupt, couldn't solve a murder mystery if your life depended on it ... I just LOLed when he said that :D At least he's getting back with Deb now, there's that.
Jokes aside ... the stupidity of Dexter now, is really irritating me. If this wasn't the last season I would have dropped this series like a bad habit. Let's hope for a decent finale at least.
Flag
they are probably building up Quinn for a reason....
Flag
If the writers are true to form (a very bad form), they will make Quinn the one that finds out about Dexter ... maybe even kill him. How terrible an ending like that would be?
Flag
LOL you haven't read the leaked script have you, believe me that would be good compared to the ending they have for Quinn
Flag
Haha, nah ... I don't like spoilers.IAlthough, with these writers, anything Iis possible and I dont mean it in a good way :)
Flag
Dexter's writers went to the shit land. No more Dexter I used to love the show but now, I'm like, "I don't care what happens to these people anymore".
Flag
why doesnt hannah wear i disguise??!!
shit, i know she's hot and everything & that the show might not want to cover her up in some way. but come on!!!

that's what they teach you in criminal 101, to change up ur look, when they are putting ur mug shots on all the tvs.

Flag
a disguise (really wish we could edit out comments)
Flag
our...see!!!!!..ahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!
Flag
Masuka's daughter came to the crime scene high, everybody. There were less than three hours left in the show's history when the writers sat down to do this script and they thought that Masuka's sperm -pawn tokin' up was relevant.

i thought the same thing...like WTF is wrong with these writers. why? i can understand masuka getting closure and finally being a grownup non-perv dad, but that was just stupid. they should have summed up that storyline a few eps ago.
Flag
she was some decent T&A in that one ep, but i'm done with her.
Flag
before i read the review (dont want to be swayed before i comment), i just want to say i finally watched it last night and thought the whole ep was very bad. this is the first time in a long time that i've disliked a Dexter ep.
Flag
You reaaaaaaally need to see this. It's sad, hilarious and straight-to-hell comedy.

Flag
Very hilarious. Especially since the kid grew as he hit the ground:

http://i.minus.com/ih7glVygEhDue.gif

This is good too - Too Difficult For A Common Criminal:

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1320/13576378/24310966/407541958.jpg

And Scott Reynolds really doesn't have a clue (see 7:00):

Flag
Oh man, I just laughed my ASS off at the Hannah one. BRILLIANT!!!!!
Flag
lol, they really think they did a great job. that's so f*cking sad. the stunt person is so much bigger than the kid. it's so like obvious to see.
Flag
Wow, these people are fucking morons!
Flag
I tried to listen to this podcast yesterday , and it was annoying so I didn't even listen 5 minutes , I listened after 7.00 like you mentionned , and I understand why this show is so bad now , those people are really morons , and they talk like they don't give a f*** about anything.
they are making a tv show that millions of people are waiting to see , and they don't care , they just write the dumbest stories of all time ...

at the beggining of this podcast he talk about 5 more seasons , I am sure that they are really thinking about a spin off , morons
Flag
thanks for that
Flag
I could not watch this episode without the FFW button, almost all scenes were utterly boring and unbearable to watch... Think I finifshed the 50 minute episode in under 20 minutes and still got the overall idea where the episode was going.
Flag
I just remember something from last episode , when Dexter enters Vogel's home , he is talking with Harry , and he doesn't close the door because he has to leave it open for harry.he's a ghost that can't go through a door.

I think it might be one of the dumbest thing I have ever seen , I am a six feet under fan , and they were using ghosts too but it was always amazing , it really made some amazing scenes , In dexter Harry is really useless , they were using flashbacks in the first 2 seasons , and it was a lot better like that.
Flag
I caught myself grabbing for my phone to play Candy Crush...
i was that bored..
Flag
Exactly what I did too.
Flag
The Ice Truck Killer, Trinity, Frank Lundy - hell, even Jordan Chase all make this season's 'villain' look just terrible. "Dexter's final opponent, a guy with serious mommy issues!" What a low note to go out on. I was really hoping that Dexter would get caught this season, and his adversary would be Miami metro. But that would be too much work to write.
Flag
Agree with all save for Jordan Chase. S5 was the beginning of the downfall for this show, hasn't had a whole lot of bright spots since Trinity left Rita in a pool of blood. Oh yeah and of course Dexter should have been on the run this season
Flag
Yeah if we weren't so close to the finish line, I would be getting off the bus at this point. What a truly disappointing way to end a once great show.
Flag
Deb is the only reason this show still appeals to me.. Dexter is defiantly not the perfect psychopath!! Disappointing...
Flag
My aunt Regina recently made $6,340, acquired a new perspective on life and managed to maintain her faith in television writers by not watching the last 58 hours or so of Dexter. Uncle Bob wasn't so lucky. He chose to stick with the show to the bitter end, and he is now so fuelled with loathing that he spends much of his time Googling "hate Dexter", visiting sites that aren't TV.com and making insufficient money to pay off the finance on his Kia Optima Hybrid.
Flag
The show has forced viewers to attempt to accept Dexter has come to feel as Vogel is surrogate mother. Dexter's character really isn't such that he needs mothering, his damaged psyche precludes it. At times he certainly wanted to kill Vogel, and even if he did the same with Hannah he always felt like she was his sole mate which seemed very real. Seriously, he never loved Vogel even as a mother figure. The whole thing about it is forced and waters Dexter down and for true fans seems misguided.

As for Deb, well, you've got to feel for her. She's trying hard to get back a life after so much trauma. It stinks in the middle of it all Dexter exposes her further by using her to hide Hannah. Deb is definitely coming back to the PD, getting back with Quinn, but at the same time she's lying to a federal agent and hiding a felon. Deb's character has been so twisted from her moral center it's plain hard to watch her making so many bad decisions. Uh,while she's supposedly making a comeback? It would make more sense if she got her head on straight that she would set Hannah up. She might could save Dexter if he wasn't hell-bent on being with Hannah. As it is she is going to loose him any number of ways.

Finally, Vogel's son, the cranium killer, just doesn't have enough oomph. He's, as someone said the poor person's Ryan Gosling while he needs to be Edward Norton.

This viewer was expecting non-stop action with tremendous possible horrendous consequences at every turn in this episode and it just didn't happen that way at all. The big shocker of Vogel being killed by her son while Dexter was forced to watch was it and it simply wasn't compelling enough as the culmination of one of the final episodes.

This ship has been faltering a lot with Vogel's poorly developed character and Dexter behaving as if he believes he can be a family man. The end needs Dexter to be his serial killing self with the need to save Deb and keep his secret protected. That could involve great action, terror, and still be satisfying. Dexter in full "Harry's Code" fury would likely have to go down in the end in order to protect Deb and Harrison who may still have a shot at life beyond the pitfalls of a serial killer. Dexter finally would realize he has become what he detests and save others by one final kill, himself. Whatever happens next, this episode was a real let down.

More+
Flag
This episode looked like a parody. And again, so many lost opportunities gone ridiculous.
Flag
Last night I watched one of the final episodes of Breaking Bad. The episode flew by and when it faded to black, I was in total shock. Couldn't catch my breath and wanted MORE. Just finished this episode of Dexter and found that I was bored to death and couldn't wait for it to end. I was enjoying this season for a little while but at this point... I have lost all hope. Don't even care what is going to happen and will watch the last episodes just to finish it off and see how it ends.
Flag
Yup - it's really bad to have the two go head to head. Breaking Bad is easily one of the most impressive series to air in the last decade (minimum). Dexter is limping across the finish line. All we could think about is how much promise this final season had when it started and instead it's going to come down to some killer we met two episodes again threatening him and Hannah as they try to sneak through the d*mn Miami airport! Argh!
Flag
Bingo. Two more episodes and this crapfest is over.

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Flag
I am only watching, for the same reason I am watching the dome, I wanna know how it ends. But it is always a bad sign for a show, when I only watch the recording of it, using the fast forward button a lot.
Flag
Random side note...Has anyone else noticed how all computers in this show make a sound for absolutely EVERYTHING? Whenever Dexter clicks, whenever a picture or file pops up, etc, a different, spacey sound effect is heard.
Flag
Truth be told, pretty much every series/movie does that. Add that to the frequent flashy interfaces that almost don't need human interaction.
Flag
Maybe I forgot to change my settings, but my computer certainly doesn't do that...
Flag
And has Dexter ever encountered a device that is not switched on? Or password protected? Neither probably matters considering how adept he is at using trojan software. The interface on that bad boy was certainly very accommodating.
Flag
Jesus, Cory. Brutal review. Granted, it's not unwarranted... Still, I'm holding out hope for the final two episodes. I truly feel that even at its worst, Dexter is better than 80% of everything else on TV. It's consistently grounded by strong performances, a great musical score, and beautiful cinematography. Even when the story goes off the rails, I enjoy being inside of this world.
Flag
It's certainly better than Breaking Dome and the CW crapfest (even Supernatural seems be be going downhill fast and I used to love it with a passion), but if this wasn't the final season I would be trully worried for what would come next.
Flag
Ladies and Gentlemen, introducing from Dexter's writing team...sergioleandro1...LOL . The Dome is pretty weak but not sure what "Breaking Dome" is.. If you mean Dexter is better than "Breaking Bad" you are officially delusional
Flag
I guess the Dean Norris connection got the best of me. Yes, I meant Under the Dome. Nothing's better than breaking Bad in my book, but, hey, you don't have to be an ass about it. Everyone's got their tastes, just because they don't like what you like, doesn't mean they're crazy.
Flag
What CW crapfest are you talking about?
And Supernatural is still AWSOME! If you are bored with it,stop watching,but by no means Supernatural sucks or is going downhill fast !!!
Flag
What crapfest? Pretty much everything except Supernatural. And yes, it's weaker. Jensen keeps getting worse and worse in his acting. Even the show's atmosphere has changed (where's the rock'n'roll soundtrack?). The reason I'm watching is simple really. I want to see the ending (if it stopped at the 5th season it would be a great show), just as I did with Smallville. Don't like to leave things unfinished unless they really start getting on my nerves like Under the Dome or Californication.
Flag
Let me use Cory's words:

LOL.
Flag
Gotta disagree on the cinematography front. If nothing else, we've always felt that Dexter is a series without any kind of distinctive visual appeal
Flag
Ummmm, no, it isn't. Dexter is crap.
Flag
I am astonished there still are people having any hopes for the show. Your standards are pretty low.
Flag
Come on, dude. It's not cool to hate things. Hating things is boring. Be positive and have some hope.
Flag
While watching this eppy, all I could do was reminisce about the days when Dexter was trying to act normal, getting it wrong, but somehow still fooling everyone into thinking he was the "nice cleancut guy"; borderline awkward nerd by day, lethal meticulous killer of criminals by night. Something about that guy was weirdly endearing. Dexter with "feelings" turned out to be just like every other selfish and self absorbed person. At this point with two eppys left, the only thing that will have any shock value for me is if Masuka & Batista somehow morph into Doakes and get a clue about Dexter. I would rather watch that than Dexter go down on some silly "ish" called "In the name of love." Having Masuka berate his daughter for pot smoking seemed totally out of character because I just assumed Masuka went to work high most days. Wonder what happened to the female detective who got promoted to Sergeant? Yes, it's bad when I starting asking about no named characters and their whereabouts.

Flag
Yup. The old Dexter was an amazing concept, wasn't it?

Then the writers had a collective lobotomy.
Flag
Dexter as a sociopath `hiding in plain sight` which theyve used so often, was interesting as it gave the viewer a sense of knowing what he was without anyone else knowing. yeah i totally forgot about the Sargeant, or is she not `important` enough?! hes got no charm anymore, and at the moment dosent really come across as having anything notable about him. the most interesting things about the epsiode were the Deb scenes, and that`s not a good sign
Flag
Any chance of Hanna saying "Hey where you been at Mike Dex, you gotta see this. See, there's a serial killer but he only be killing other serial killers." With a quit cut to Hannibal.
Flag
No Wire fans... :(
Flag
I agree with the review...and I'm seldom negative with the shows I love also, I really hated how dumb Hannah was she was hanging out outside,walking around in the open, didn't even close the curtains ,couldn't be bothered to even buy a hat/glasses. They all forgot she was a fugitive....grrrrrrrrrerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr so disappointed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Flag
It's official: after this episode, the last season of Dexter just got too painful to watch - and I mean, physical pain. Like the pain of my teeth grinding for watching such a crappy, crappy show.
Flag
it's painful yes , but now that we really don't expect anything from this show , it became kind of funny to watch , it's like a parody.
Flag
Yes, I'm going to watch it till the end, I wanna see how bad this is going to get.
Flag
I fast-forwarded most of this episode (I usually do that only for Quinn or Batista's scenes), because I could figure out the whole dialogue and I had headache and couldn't be bothered. Let's have a meteor hit Miami and put everyone out of their misery.

Is Elway the African-American woman who has "been there the whole time"?
Flag
Elway is Deb's boss. He's portrayed by Sean Patrick Flanery, best known as the older of the two Young Indiana Jones.
Flag
Thank you! I don't think I ever noticed his name!
Flag
You're thinking of Miller, who stole Quinn's job and then promptly didn't show up at work for two-three episodes. 'Cause, you know...Dexter
Flag
She's actually appearing in every episode. She's in the background of all crime scenes doing nothing, just standing there asking for lines of dialogue. It's hilarious.
Flag
I think that this episode collapsed everything the season was building: Almost every character that once was smart and interesting became plainly stupid for 50 minutes.

Hannah - She starts as a cunning woman who is always one step ahead and untraceable, but oh! Harrison had a very artificial accident and what does she do? Go to a HOSPITAL, hoping that nobody recognizes her after being told that all Miami has seen her face.

Debra - For me the writers came to a point when there was a lot of storylines with Dexter and other people that they had to put a pause on Deb but keep her going with something - enter QUINN, so basically all those minutes between him and Jaime for a final season count for nothing. Way to maximize every episode guys!

Dr. Vogel - Supposedly the master of psychopaths decides to meet with his son, a crazy mofo alone in her house and then react, literally the WORST posible way in front of a psycho. She was screaming her death.

And worst, Dexter. Throughout the whole series we have seen Dexter as a killer who struggles with his normal life. But what is interesting about that is how he balances both or uses his mind to elude and prevail. This whole season he just seems floppy, clumzy, without all the previous knowledge. Instead of looking like a struggle or creating any tension or drama, the main character looks dumb and new. Heck, even Zack could do a better job!
More+
Flag
I commend for taking this long to note the decline.
Flag
when hannah arrives at the hospital , she said that she couldn't stop the blood , it made me laugh because like you said it was a small injury , nothing terrible , the writers knew that people would think that too , so they made hannah say that she could not stop the blood only to justify her presence there.
In that scene when the woman was staring at her , I thought that Hannah would just get the hell out of there , but of course it's Dexter , so the us marshall arrives at the hospital after she is gone.he sees that hannah was with dexter's son and she signed debra morgan , so now maybe he will just go arrest her , I mean how much more proof do you need ?
Flag
Was it a superficial injury? He needed six stitches to close the cut. Is that minor? It was a moronic side note, because only an idiot would take that long to get a kid off a treadmill. Don't they have built in safety precautions, btw?

At any rate, I was flummoxed that the kid had all kinds of blood on that rag, and the nurse told them to sit down - do insurance companies really not care about little kids leaking blood?

No matter, two more episodes of this crapfest, and it will be but a sad memory. Only idiots would buy the DVDs of this show.
Flag
All we could think of was that she should just buy a tube of superglue - way less obvious and just as effective
Flag
How do you guys remember the death of Hannah's father? Do you remember, like me, that Dexter lied about it to Hannah? Can this still come back before series end, you think? The man was a horrible person, but not sure how she would take it if she actually knew?
Flag
Whoa! That's right! Another loose end thrown in for no reason by the idiot writers that the audience (good on you!) promptly forgot about.

Remember the very good storyline with black guy in the junkyard, or something like that?

Remember when Dexter actually could carry off a kill, and hadn't yet turned into a p**** who loves a boring shrink as his Mini Me Mommy and can't even kill her psycho son?

Wouldn't it be cool if, as someone suggested, Hannah gets Dex to Argentina and kills him? If only. Only after explaining in laborious, boring detail the events leading up to it, because many of us comPLETEly forgot that Dexter killed Hannah's father. And isn't it amazing that no one has missed her rich husband?

Yup, worst show in the world.
Flag
Rule #1 of Dexter Writer's Club: Never reference past seasons.
Flag
I think these two seasons were written together - I remember I read an article here about how they wanted to end it in one season and then made it two. So it is not any reference to a past season, is it.
Flag
While the latter is true, it has nothing to do with the writing. They come and work in seasons (same thing for BB's last season). Sure, they can develop some ideas in advance but it seems like they didn't.
Flag
Haha, I couldn't disagree more. Or maybe you're in fact right but that doesn't make it optimal in any way. But you're right in the sense that we'll have to judge that when all is said and done. Maybe Masuka's daughter and Jamie will be as important as the lead cast in the end. Who knows (well...)
Flag
I think they knew at least where they were going, and in my opinion all this messing around with the plots is a way to avoid people to know too much in advance what's going to be the end of Dexter. It is another story if the result is good or not. But I think I'll decide that when it's over.
Flag
Or even earlier episodes in the season. Maaaaybe the last one...if you need content for the "previously on..."
Flag
Excellent idea. That would be a great spanner in the works for their relationship, but I very much doubt is will be followed considering how much subplots Dexter has to wrap up in two episodes.
Flag
I personally don't see that many subplots as you all seem to see. Most people are now dead, so what is left to subplot by now? :)
Flag
Well it looks like Dexter's main focus will be finding and killing Saxon before he tries to harm someone he lives, while simultaneously trying to hide Hannah from the Marshal and Elway as he, her, and Harrison try to make a run for Argentina. There's just not enough time to add a hiccup to his relationship with Hannah this late in the game. And I also imagine the writers are going to attempt to have fittingly lame endings to the characters of Batista, Quinn and Masuka as well.
Flag
yep, ok, but that's just a one plot for dexter (to escape to argentina with Hannah and his son) - However I also don't know if this could come back, that's why I raised the question.

The ending for Quinn and Batista it could be quite straightforward at this point, since there are no pending stakes. But the Masuka thing starts to have a strong smell of spin off all over it.
Flag
so many subplots, which I love if they`re written properly, but Dexter is going to be like really messy spaghetti in the end!!
Flag
I love the show, but that spyware bit was definitely the most stupid computer-related incident I've seen in any TV show or movie for at least a decade. You'd think the writers would understand computers by now, given the fact that everyone and their uncle uses them these days. Alas. At least they didn't hack into an alien mothership with a PowerBook, but it's close.
Flag
it isn't as easy as they made it seem, but that is absolutely possible.
Flag
I agree with cory 100% as usual. But I do hate Quinn-Deb scenes. Zero chemistry between the actors in my opinion and pretty boring storyline. And that throat cutting scene, I hope they didnt get that idea from game of thrones...not very schocking nor emotional.
Flag
Nope. Never saw anyone go so willingly to their death. No struggle whatsoever. What WAS the purpose of Vogel in the show, anyway? Will Matthews miss her? Will she be thrown off Dexter's boat, intact? Will her house be a crime scene? Will I care?
Flag
now vogel is dead, hannah will go to prison so is deb (for helping a criminal) then saxon and dexter will kill each other infront of harrison which will grow up to be dexter jr. and we will live crappily ever after .... ta daaaa :D
Flag
Dexter is really the best comedy show now , the treadmill accident was absolutely hilarious , and every scene doesn't make sense.

There are no clever characters in this show , not even one !!! Give me one intelligent character in this season , oh wait a minute I found one !!! The black girl who became sergeant instead of Quinn , she was smart , she got the job , and we haven't seen her since.

I am amazed to see that some people still enjoy watching this show.
Flag
haha YOUR still watching it retard. i'm amazed you have so much shit to talk but u still watch it hahahaha. fuckin idiot. it's a great show. that's y people still watch it. that's y u r still watching it.
Flag
I am amazed to see that some people still enjoy watching this show.

Ain't that the truth. Go to AV Club and TWOP, they hate it with the heat of two suns there too.

Excellent hate posts.
Flag
i think as one of the main people is now joining The Following, that this was the audition! :)
Flag
I must be one of the few that actually liked Season 6 with Lumen and loved the idea of a motivational speaker as a Big Baddie. With every episode this final season, I realize why I loved that season, because really it was the final season back then but no one wanted to fess up to it.
As much as I am a fan of Yvonne Strahovski and Charlotte Rampling, they contributed nothing to this season. The other added characters like Masuka's daughter ( don't even know her name or the actress's name), the private dick did nothing either. In fact if Michael C Hall was not starring and everyone called him Dexter, I would have thought I am in some other puking series. There is nothing about Dexter here.
Where did all the ton of discussion of whether Harrison will grow up a serial killer too? Or that Dex will get rid of his "dark passenger" instead of leaving him in a coma after that dive with Deb? In fact, anyone please give me one major issue that was discussed ad nauseam during the series's run that was actually really treated here. Okay, there was his relationship with Deb, but even that is still up in the air.
More+
Flag
it's a final season. it obviously isnt gonna be like the other ones. and it is not a bad season. it could have been better, but i dont see anything wrong w/ it. and i liked season 6 too. i dont think there was a bad season.
Flag
season 5**
Flag
Lumen was in season 5. I loved Lumen,because awsome actress played her.
Flag
julia styles is not an awesome actress. the only part of the season i didnt enjoy was her.
Flag
I stand corrected. :)
Flag
season 5 was not that bad , i became a hater in season 6
but season 8 is really the worst , by far !!
Vogel death made me happy because she was really the most boring character ever.shitty character , shitty death.

Oh and I loved that dexter was after Saxon , he saw him kill vogel , he enters the room and just hug vogel while saxon is escaping.

and next 2 episodes he will search saxon again
Flag
season 6 was great. ur crazy. the exploration of religion was really fitting. and vogel's character was good. ur a fool.
Flag
Same here. I actually thought season 6 had great start,but then it just all went to hell. Season 7 had Ray and some sparks of hope,because of Dex and Deb,but that was it. Then there were no more sparks and only darkness loomed over.
Flag
D+ from The AV Club. Very good review. No, really. The reviewer hates it.

So, what happened to all the cheery byes who love Dexter and hate the haters?

Good, the haters won. I love when that happens.

Dexter blows goats.
Flag
haha doesn't blow enough goat for u to still feel the need to comment about it. if u all hate the show just stop wathcing. u don't see me going on all the breaking bad forums and writing how much it sux. cuz i just won't watch it. easy.
Flag
Staff
Serious Q: What's your obsession with posting what other sites think here? Just curious.
Flag
Because not enough people HATE this show, and I'm aiming for 100% hate. Plus, they're a funny read.

If it's a problem, I'll stop, Cory.
Flag
why do you care what other people like or dislike? Why the need for external validation of your views of disgust with this show?
I think this season of Dexter is bad but I don't need people to agree with me and I don't dislike it enough to spout hateful comments as replies to everyone.
I guess if you like a show you promote it thinking it will bring happiness to others who may not of heard of a show or may not off considered trying a show. However to try to get people to hate a show they are already watching just seems like a waste of time. If you have lots of free time then lucky you!
Flag
If it's a problem, I'll stop, Cory.

Not hating this show of course, since the only reason to watch it unto the end is to hate it. Okay, I'll quit mentioning other sites. But you really should Google 'hate Dexter', the hate out there for this show is delightful!
Flag
I hate the show for a while too , and everybody shoud hate this show , but I guess reality is different , a lot of people have bad taste.
Flag
Taste is subjective. I love Dexter, and while I admit it hasn't been as good as it used to be recently, it's still a show I enjoy watching on a weekly basis, otherwise why else would I still watch it. I also enjoy Boardwalk Empire, Breaking Bad, Homeland, Revenge, The Walking Dead, all shows that are airing or will start airing on the same night as Dexter. Not one of these shows is perfect, but I enjoy them all in different ways. You may think otherwise, but that doesn't mean a show is bad just because it doesn't suit your tastes.
Flag
I would say Breaking Bad is the nearest to perfect youre ever gunna get....
Flag
if a show is written well, acted well and thought out well and you dont like the subject then its purely down to taste. im sure there are some shows that i would never watch that are not to my taste that are wonderfully written and acted, but this season of Dexter is shoddy and I havent enjoyed it compared to the others.
Flag
And I would argue that, hence the subjectiveness of taste.
Flag
I agree that taste is subjective , but there are limits , I watched tv shows like chuck where the writing was not really clever sometimes , but it was like that since it started , so it was ok for me.
the problem with dexter is that it started really good and now it's worst that a soap opera.

if breaking bad , or boardwalk empire became that bad it would disapoint me as well.
I am a little scared about homeland , because season 1 was great , season 2 was not , I am really scared that season 3 will be a mess.
some shows are not made for 8 seasons
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
True. Rescue Me was another concept that went so very bad. The pilot/first episode was brilliant.
Flag
At the end I came and read your review hoping for some point of conexion with the show I'm watching, but nope, it was a big mistake. As usual.
Flag
Staff
Thanks!
Flag
you are most welcome
Flag
There are so many elements that do not work in this final season and it is so disappointing. I had such high hopes for this series ending season and the bad writing, non- cohesiveness and lack of intensity (just to name a few) really has me confused.

I thought that the writers of this show could have made Dexter so much more but they completely and utterly dropped the ball. I was so convinced that this season, someone would be onto him (Miami Metro or otherwise) while Dexter simultaneously was tracking an ACTUAL IMPORTANT KILLER, someone that would terrify the audience and give viewers a suspenseful television watching experience. But, no, instead its a bunch of random moments and events occurring with people we either don't have a connection with or remnants of things that could have been but did not reach any sort of potential.

Very disappointing.
Flag
yes, I feel there is no audience connection with Dexter at all.
Flag
What I really didn't get was the whole tape of Saxon killing Zach scene and its purpose. I mean Vogel already knew he had killed all these people and the fashion in which he did it, and was all for Dexter not killing him. But then Dexter shows her that tape and she's like "Oh no that's awful, go ahead and kill him." What? And I find it a shame that Vogel died. Now we'll never find out where she picked up that accent from.
Flag
True. And how did such a slight guy force that heavy guy (remember him?) to kill someone (who, I don't remember) and then suspend him?

Or are we not supposed to ask those questions.
Flag
a gun. and as for suspending him, he was on a hook. a hook that has a pully system. so no, your not suppose to ask stupid quesitons.
Flag
This used to be one of the best shows ever not only because the amazing acting and writing also because the research and accuracy of certain Psicological facts. It seems that the writers decided to kill the show in every way possible with worst writing ever: since introducing characters to just killing them or forgeting about them to forcing unbelievable and unacurated situations. I don´t blame the actors because they end making their best effort with what they get from the writers (I still think the show is beautifully acted) but the writing is miserable and i dare to say bad on purpouse.

During years they portrayed Dexter as an authentic and fascinating psyco who killed bad people in order to cope with his killer insticts (the reason this show was so good and fascinating) but is not like he suddenly can just stop killing or even considering it in the long run. Serial killers can take a break for killing for certain amounts of time but they know that they will eventually kill again since is a personal obsession and need...ergo is in their nature.

I love Charlotte Rampling i think she´s one of the most fascinating and gifted actresses ever but what started as a great promise of delivering the "greatest villian on the story of the show" (those first scenes of hers were totally spine chilling) ended botched by the usual not less botched writing and story telling, dowgrading Vogel to the weak and unnerving level of the rest of the secondary characters.

Psycos are cold neat creatures that uncapable to link emotionally with other people...certainly not with a new comer like Vogel when in fact she knew too much and they logical step for Dex would be try to get rid of her and control the situation (no matter if she invented the code or not): She was his biggest menace and the actual the actual villian on this season and not because she was a killer, more because she was that "mirror" that killers usually despice so much and THAT was the proper way to kill Vogel. They supposed to go there and not to that stupid "spiritual mother route" with a dead Vogel laying in a crying Dexter´s arms which is totally out of character.

When Dexter used to "care" about Rita, Deb or his coworkers it was because they were part of his normality disguise ...they were part of his "mask" and not because he was capable of really invest on them. Is the same with Hanna, even if the old Dexter -perhaps- would feel certain fascination or atraction for her (since she´s a killer) he would never being capable of developing risky feelings for her since he certainly CANNOT feel people that way.

When you compare this season with the newcomer show "Hannibal" is when you get to realize how this once amazing and impecable show has lost touch with the facts that make a individual a socipath. This botched season is without doubt the WORST of all and possibly the one that harcore fans will be willing to forget as canon. This season is not about closure....is about some sort of artistic euthanasia towards the show. Big disgrace.
More+
Flag
if you've been paying attention dexter has been developing and gaining a deeper depth of emotion. so is it possible for him to stop killing. yes. because he has grown.
Flag
Brilliant post. This show should be a study entitled The Deterioration Of A Television Show aka How NOT To Write in media schools all over the world.
Flag
Dexter being interested in killing, but being essentially a good guy, was always explained away by the plot device of his Dark Passenger, saying "he can't help doing it." Psychos may feel a need to kill, but its related to something about their persona that doesn't completely abdicate them of their free will. Dexter can have his cake and eat it too. He's a pretty unrealistic persona the writers just invented for a good story.
Flag
Hannibal is so amazing. I think the writing in Hannibal is a bit complicated though, most of the time I have no idea what's happening or what the characters are even talking about. lol

and the acting is just top-notch there. Agreed with everything else, Dexter has been dissapointing this season (and last season for me). I think the show was at it's best in Seasons 4 and 5. (Rita's death/Trinity killer and Lumen is what made this show so great for me)

then again I'm sort of biased because I love Julia Stiles and I think that she's a great actress. but the show has never had like a group of big bads (the guys who tirtured/raped and killed girls), so Season 5 stood out as a special one in my eyes.
Flag
I don't recall Dex saying he was going to give up killing. Chances are he foresees his life in Argentina would be much like it is here: killing Argentinian criminals at night while hanging with Harrison and Hannah by day. The reason for the move being that he can't have both of those things while staying in the States because Hannah is a fugitive.

The only real down-side is such a change in environment will add a learning curve to his skills and procedures. And thus he might have to take some Miami vacations to "get his fix" until he's ready enough to continue in Argentina.
Flag
Dexter deep inside should know that his escape to Argentina is a big utopia, and yes: he mentioned stop killing...i think he´s fooling himself (i mean the writers fooling us?) with that impossible dream:

Marring Hanna another serial killer who just murdered her husband after a long long long list of deceased boyfriends and husbands (...what a catch) , also pretend that she will be a proper mother for Harrison ( who i´m sure is subconciously still traumatized by Rita´s death), also levae Debb behind, not to mention move to a total strange country without speaking the language, no job, no much of money or friends there?... Even a solo escape would make more sense in some extreme circumstances but with his toddler son and the psyco-soon-to-be wife-i´m gonna widow really soon-you serialcrazy ass bitch? Just unreal...even in his Lumen days Dexter knew better...more importanly Lumen knew better (who i can´t believe didnt even make a little appereance just to close her story...thanks again writers)

Dex being so absolutely impulsive and reckless is what i found so absurd and Un-dexter-ish. That twist is "so soap opera like" that ends tragically out of place. So yeah, at this point whatever it happens will be equally absurd and silly...if he make it or not won´t make any difference... they just wanted to put to sleep the show in the most uninspired and lame way.

i just only hope they gave Batista something to do at least for the last time...he was a great character and he ended like the most secondary-almost-invisible character of the show...even his nanny sister had more action which is bad enough. i can´t get over that he took Laguerta´s death so lighty...and they moved on like she never existed...and i´m talking a super important character since episode one.

I love Michael C Hall he´s a brilliant actor and i hope to see him in proper shape/glory in next projects. I will miss the show more for what it used to be ...not for what it is this season. I think many fans feel that way. So let´s this rabbid dog of a show rest for good. RIP DEXTER
More +
Flag
How will he be killing Argentinian criminals without a job that pretty much was an open sesame to get information on said criminals, the language barrier, the fact that as an American he will watched like a hawk by the countries' intelligence agencies and police, his lack of knowledge of the city and where actually to bury bodies. Need I go on?
Flag
Have you met Argentinians? They practically kill themselves
Flag
No, I haven't. But that's th point they kill themselves. I think they will frown of being killed by foreigners.
Flag
Does anyone remember that stuffed dog with all the incriminating evidence on it and when we thought it might be relevant? Do the writers of Dexter realise it's actually LESS work if you continue working with a thread you introduced six weeks ago, instead of going off on some random tangent? I'm pretty sure every ep was written by a different person, and none of the writers bothered to read each others' scripts or discuss anything vaguely resembling continuity. This show makes me sad.
Flag
It's possible the stuffed animal will make a vital appearance soon. Considering Brain Surgeon's casual "Hello Dexter" from the interrogation room, my guess is his plan is to reveal Dexter as a killer to destroy him utterly... since his mother picked Dexter over him.

In which case, said stuffed animal will be a vital clue.
Flag
he got rid of the dog. pay attention.
Flag
You are awfully optimistic! I will be more forgiving if it happens though.
Flag
Also, SB probably will have some of the Dexter tapes with Harry as a sword of Damocles over Dex's head.
Flag
I felt that episode really dragged. I really don't care about any of the characters anymore apart from maybe if they did a Mosouka spinoff where he gets into crazy adventures with his daughter in the Australian outback after a career change where he becomes a stripper bounty hunter and he finds out that his daughters mother is still alive and that she is actually Sarah Palin.
Flag

Ten episodes in and I'm still waiting for dexter's writers to get to the point of this season and this episode didn't help at all, the only thing I liked about this episode was Quinn , yes I know Quinn!!! but I found myself agreeing and identifying with him when he told deb that when he had to leave his friends and family it was really hard for him but also the best thing in his life because it made him stand on his own, I really liked it, maybe because I'm in a similar situation myself in life and I felt really encouraged by that but that's the only thing I took from this episode.

also why did dexter or deb thought it was a good idea for hanna to babysit Harrison!!!

And doesn't dexter need to give a two week's notice , the way Miami metro is run you can definitely understand why they are not solving many cases.

Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members