A Dexter Community
Showtime (ended 2013)

Dexter S08E11: "Monkey in a Box"

Watching a television series is actually a lot like watching sports. Set aside even the more obvious similarities—they both air on TV within the construction of a yearly season, everyone iprobably on some kind of drug—and you'll find some interesting relationships between the two. Following a young TV show as it slowly progresses and matures easily reminds me of watching a sports team with a bunch of young players start putting things together. Unfortunately, the idea works both ways. Old TV shows are like old teams: There's still hope that everything can come together and be like it was, but once a few things start to go wrong, the wheels come off. HOWEVER, in the case of a veteran show (/team), the wheels usually come off slowly, leaving fans to struggle through week after week, game after game or episode after episode, just waiting for it to be over. 

That's where I am with Dexter. There's no reason to be mad anymore, there's no reason to throw much of a fit about what could have been or should have been. The show is one hour away from being over forever and while it's given us a lot of great things in its eight years on the air, this final season won't end up being one of them. "Monkey in a Box" wasn't appreciably worse than the last few episodes, it just hurt a little more because there's always that twinge of hope with those shows we've stuck with that somehow, some way, it all won't end like shit after all. HA, NOPE.

After Saxon killed Vogel last week, the lame writing was on the wall: Deb (and/or Hannah, maybe) was next. That's really the sole card the show had left to stir up one final ounce of tension and emotion and thus, watching this episode became an exercise in resigned patience. It was coming. We just had to wait for all of the characters, Dexter chief among them, to act like complete and utter fools in order to get us there. And by the end, there it was: The show's most ineffectual Big Bad of all time (at least Travis and his ghost advisor had a little creativity and flair for the dramatic with their crime scenes), not really outsmarting Dexter and Deb, or taking the show to some deep, dark place. No way. Instead, he just popped Deb once in the gut with a gun, then slithered out of the room. I'm not opposed to a sudden, almost matter-of-fact death, and Deb's not dead yet, but that felt like the true manifestation of the shrug the writers undoubtedly did in some crappy conference room six months ago. "Meh." 

If there's one thing that this final season will be remembered for—well, other than Masuka wanting to bang his own daughter—it's just how hilariously stupid everybody on the show became. To be fair, most of these folks have acted ignorantly or irresponsibly for years. But in the final season, they've set up camp at the top of Stupidity Mountain—which, by the way, is located right in the middle of the Giant Coincidence Plains. Last week, it was Hannah rushing to the hospital after Harrison tried and failed to master the art of the treadmill, despite knowing that she couldn't leave the house without risking her and Dexter's future. This week, Hannah used Deb's computer to look up flights and didn't delete the search history. ROOKIE MISTAKE, BLONDIE. Meanwhile, Dexter and Deb spent most of the hour talking in circles about what it would mean for Dexter to: 1.) Leave Miami, 2.) Not kill Saxon and just have him arrested, 3.) Maybe kill Saxon, 4.) Try denim for once. It was literally as if we were back in Season 3, with Dexter "helping" the police just enough to help himself, only this time at the last minute he decided that the best way to stop a serial killer without killing him would be to just walk out of the kill room and go pack a bag. Sure, that'll probably work great. 

"Monkey in a Box" was an appropriate episode title because was random, referring to a single line in the episode. But it worked because this was the series' penultimate installment, and yet we had to watch Dexter try to sell his boat (unsuccessfully, bummer) and pack his apartment countless times without actually packing anything, all while Batista turned a crappy wake for Vogel into a celebratory goodbye party for Dexter, and Masuka and his daughter's storyline literally ended with a "I'll have a Diet Coke." So not only is the primary villain a nondescript, boring type, but there are less than 100 minutes left in the series and Quinn and Deb are flirting over how he didn't return the engagement ring he gave her ages ago. Yes, that happened in this episode.

At the end of the day, the show wants us to think that Dexter's choice to not kill Saxon is the BIGGEST DEAL, but it's not. As I've said 100 times this season, it could have been, if the writers had made any visible attempts to give Dexter an arc that really led to him realizing that he could fill his heart with love and not murder, or whatever. But the season began with Dexter shrugging off the things he made Deb do, or did to her, and nothing really changed after that. When Hannah showed up, it's not like Dexter was in the midst of an all-time murder spree. So what's the real revelation? That Dexter can't even muster up the juice to kill Saxon? Is that just a metaphor for how the show's writers felt at the end of their run? 

Deb's possible death is a real consequence for Dexter, particularly because his "I'm out!" moment more or less caused it. If played properly, you could imagine a version of an ending where everything comes crashing down on him because he let this happen to his sister. But there's literally nothing in the last 11 hours of this show that make me think that Dexter will face any substantial consequence or blowback, even if Deb does die in the series finale. By this point it seems pretty obvious that the writers think Dexter deserves a happy ending, or at least the happiest ending that he can find with a blonde and his future monster of a son. Not only is that so boring and so hetero-normative, but it's just a fundamental acknowledgement that this was never really a show about why a person would take on this life, and what it would really do to them. 

Along the way, though, Michael C. Hall just kept chugging along, like that star playing on the aging team. Dexter's arc makes very little sense and certainly hasn't even approached the ballpark of consistency this year, but Hall's been doing everything he can to make it work. The scenes with him just looking at stuff—the apartment, the boat, Jamie's ass... you know the IMPORTANT THINGS—really conveyed the sense of ending and completion that nothing else in the episode could match.

This has simply been a bad, bad final season. There's no better way to put it. Thankfully, it's almost over. Let's just get through this last week together. 

EXCESS BLOOD SPLATTER

– I've seen some people comment here and elsewhere that maybe the show went off the rails because Showtime decided to bump up its start date, and that's pretty interesting. The first three episodes do feel like they came from a completely different writers' room atmosphere, especially in retrospect. It's hard for me to imagine that the show went completely bonkers, apropos of nothing. Right?

– My favorite part of watching this episode was thinking of how closely it all lined up with those seemingly wild and stupid spoilers posted on Reddit a few weeks back. The hurricane is coming, and if the finale actually follows that pattern, we're all going to have a GREAT time next Sunday night. (Also: Can you believe the series finale is airing opposite the Emmys, at least on the East Coast?)

– Elway is somehow still alive and now following Hannah to the airport and zzzzzz. Remember when all he talked about were electrolytes and it was cool?

– This may've been the end for James Remar and Harry. He did solid work in that final moment, even if the character overstayed his welcome by about 64 episodes. I'm glad Remar could collect that Showtime money, though!

What'd you think of "Monkey in the Box"? What are your predictions for the series finale?

460 Comments
Comments (431)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Welp, that was awful. Let's finish this wreck!
Flag
Love your rants.
Flag
That episode was painful to watch.
Flag
Isn't Dexter worried Harrison is going to tell Jamie that his favourite mommy Hanna is back and living with them?
Flag
Every actor did seem 'dumbed' down this finale season, none-the-less irritating. This has been the worse season yet, sad, I thought it would end well or at least on a half decent note
Flag
Hannah knows she is being hunted by Elway and the marshall, why doesn't she try and hide her appearance??

they seriously can't give her a wig....or even a big hat and sun glasses?
Flag
Again not the best episode, this season [the last] is not my favourite.
still, to say proper goodbye to a tv show that was great ad the beginning I will look the last episode drinking a bottle of champagne people
Flag
The show hasn't been great over the past couple of years but when you watching this straight after watching Breaking Bad just emphisises the awfuilness of this season.
Flag
Been having that problem for the past few weeks now, hahah
Flag
EXACTLY.
Flag
The Emmy judges should give this show an award for MOST negative comments, EVER.

And not just here, ALL over the other television sites. Critical, intelligent viewers are a wonderful thing indeed. They know shit when they see the flies.
Flag
Their noses don't lie either. LOL
Flag
What an awful awful episode! Everything that happens is so stupid and so predictable ... im so annoyed at the writers for being soooo damn lazy, that I'm contemplating not watching the last episode. Aaahhhhhhhh!!!
Also, I have one question: does nobody in the US ever lock tneir computer with a password? Seriously? All super confidential things, like your own murder videos or your patients files or your clandestine flight to argentina ... all left there out in the open for the first bystander to look at. Such moronic writing! And seriously, was anything less lazy than that piece of crap convenient scene, where dexter and deb just haaad to go outside to hug it out or whatever? Howcan someone honestly write something like that and be satisfied with it?? Ok, that was more like 3 questions ... but whatever. Im done!
Flag
They neither lock their doors or their computers. Hey, it's Miami!
Flag
Perhaps Dexter and Vogel's son could kill each other in a final standoff of serial killers. The last few episodes have felt as though the writers just quite trying. But maybe that's always how things feel when they are over, it's why they have people clear out their desk when they're fired, everyone knows they will only do a half-hearted job. Well, it was good while it lasted, It seemed to go sideways from the moment Deb knew. Secrets cannot be shared, that's why they are interesting, the audience knows what the other characters don't and can do the chastising, hoping, judging, etc., thereby creating their involvement.
Flag
Excellent point. It DID start to suck very, very much after Deb knew.

But on not doing their jobs because the show was ending - nah, look at Six Feet Under. They went out with an episode built around the sweetest six minutes in the history of television.
Flag
Problem is, unlike getting fired, these clowns are ending the series on their own terms. They had plenty of time to plan for an execute a compelling series ending season. Instead they've served up a steamy mess that's basically a cross between Days of Our Lives and Guiding Light. Poor acting, terrible writing and more corner cutting than a race track. Really bad and disappointing stuff from a show that through its first 4 seasons was EXCELLENT.
Flag
If we don't get a flashforward to the realisation that Harrison is a killer just like his father, the writers have missed a trick. Another one, that is.
Flag
Careful what you wish for - it might be Harrison the killer with Dexter and his dad as ghosts. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Flag
Debra has been the saving grace of this season. When nothing else was even remotely interesting, Deb was off the rails with PTSD, getting in fights with people three times the size of her and trying to drown Dex GTA style. I know Jennifer Carpenter was on board with a death for Debra but surely not like this. Not thrown in for the sake of it! She deserves better and so do we. I'm sure she'll be fine though and it will be a "happily ever after" ending which, at this point, I can live with.
Flag
I haven't even considered that this was the end of Deb... I suppose her fate should be the same as Dexter's. They are both killers now. If Dexter deserves a happy ending, for Deb this should be a lot easier to deserve.
Flag
Sad. I never thought I'd see the day when I reacted with indifference to the possible death of a major character who's been with us since season 1. It's not just that it's a stupid death unbefitting of a tough chick who once executed a totally badass non lethal takedown of a gunman with her bare hands, but that doesn't help. It also doesn't help that I'd just watched an incredible episode of a deservedly highly lauded show that airs on the same night. I won't name it, but let's just say it isn't about putting good back together.
Flag
Exactly. Carpenter provided some of the best acting in the show - to be reduced to a 'meh' death would have been inconceivable 4 seasons ago. I would have told me that I was crackers.

Amazing, what a gaggle of moronic writers can do to a show and to an audience.
Flag
It seemed like amateur hour.
It's not just the writers.
It's like the actors can't even be bothered to do a proper job any more.
Flag
Can you blame them? When you have stupid coming out of your mouth (think Cartman in that disgusting South Park episode), why bother giving it your all?

Would you?
Flag
I would if I was getting their paychecks. Fact is the script writing has been atrocious, but the acting has been spotty too. Sometimes good sometimes pure crap. Were you sold on Carpenter and Dexter's tearful goodbye on the beach when he told her they were going to Argentina? Me neither. Just like the final steak dinner nonsense. Granted, HORRIBLE script but poorly executed too. You know it better than most, everyone on the set has mailed it in. Stick a fork in it Dexter is done!
Flag
All true, geoffmaze, but I posted a video on the Breaking Bad board, a fun interview with Jonathan Banks (cool guy), and he described how actors are only as good as their support. Writers, directors, and all the rest.

I 'used' to think actors could stand up and say 'hey this dialogue is shit!' but I've been told this isn't true, they don't have the power. Now, I would have 'thought' Hall had the power, since he was a producer, but again, I've been told, no he still doesn't have the power.

So I have no idea anymore who has all the power. All I know is that if I were given the absolute drivel Hall and Carpenter have been given, and forced to say it, I'm not sure I would give it a balls to the wall effort.

But what do I know.

At least, geoffmaze, we only have one more hour.

Flag
True. Still too much mailing it in by the cast, obviously they're as downtrodden by this crappy writing as the once loyal fans.
Flag
I predict Dex and Hannah will get onto an airplane, plane will crash because of the storm, survivors will swim to an island, black smoke and other strange things will appear. Dex will contemplate wheter or not he has to turn in to cannibalism in order to survive. Eventually he eats the survivors, including hannah as the last survivor. After that he discovers a cave and will turn into mr. smokey. Deb and Quinn will get married but Quinn has a terrible and a very rare sexual desease. It makes his penis fall off. Deb gets depressed and returns to vice. Jaime ends up raising Harrison. The End.
Flag
Given the inconsistency of this season, your scenario could certainly play out. Be more interesting than what I would expect they'll have in store.
Flag
as a joke is pretty fine, but if they would do anything similar to this, you would be ranting - confess! :)
Flag
what...? and no masuka?
Flag
Hah! If only the writers were that clever.
Flag
It is strange that Batista didn't get his own subplot. I was thinking that Masuka's subplot and Quinn's were a (maybe silly) way of the show to say goodbye to each of the old time characters. But Batista didn't get anything. Probably better this way.
Flag
And he started off so intelligently. He devolved into a blithering idiot.
Flag
While playing a game of bejeweled, I glanced up and watched the convo between Saxon and Dexter and thought "what a Pinocchio of serial killer Saxon is." He's wooden about everything he does, from his kills, to his speech to his empty stare. What an unworthy adversary Dexter is stuck with for the finale. It's sad. Seriously Migel's wife was the best cameo we could find. Everything about the remaining Dexter is quite uncomplimentary from Deb getting shot (she better not die and Betty crocker Hannah live, that's all I have to say about that) to Masuka's random appearances to say a sentence or two/or they maybe fragments, who knows. As a fan of the show however, I will tough it out and watch the finale...that's the least I owe Michael C. Hall for his dedication even with the most uninspiring writing ever.
Flag
Stop , just stop . They are killing a once brilliant psychological show with pathetic writing and using stupid cliches for plotlines . I am really sad with the turn out that was this season . I had a whole different scenario in my head . This was supposed to be the season where Dexter was manhunted by Miami Metro . This was supposed to be the '' Deb versus Dexter '' season . This was supposed to be a simple season that brought closure . This should have been the season were Dexter was supposed to pay for his crimes . Instead they filled time with new pointless characters who add NOTHING to the show : Elway , Cassie , Masuka's daughter , Vogel , Saxon , the deputy marshall , Zack ( that's seven by the way ) and NO Astor and Cody . I am going to pretend this season never happened , seriously we will all be better off going back to that trailer with Deb shooting LaGuerta .
Flag
Wow...lot's of harsh criticisms on Dexter's last season. While it may not be the "best" season, I continue to be entertained. I actually like the Masutka/daughter thread. And, well...I'm not sure what will happen in the end. Will Dexter & Hannah ride off into the sunset together? Or, will Hannah, Deb, and/or Dexter die? Whatever the finale turns out, I hope there is closure. Dexter has been a great show, whatever the ending.
Flag
no mention of the idiot federal marshal not knowing who's wanted in the area...i know hannah is hot and all, but you cant be that obsessed with finding her to miss the breaking news. ha
Flag
I mentioned it. Numerous times. Poor Lem was an idiot in The Shield and he went out as an idiot in Dexter. So sad.
Flag
i meant in the review by the tv.com staff
Flag
Oh.

Never mind.

Cory? Didja miss that?
Flag
And let's not forget that, despite having Columboed that Deb's hiding Hannah at her beach house, he doesn't just stake the house out and catch them when they leave. He doesn't tail Deb when she takes the wanted hot blonde IN THE FRONT SEAT OF HER CAR to a hotel. Nope. He goes to a private detective and says, hey. Can you pop over and have a look round for me?
Flag
I have caught myself wondering more often than not this season what Jeff Lindsay must think of what's been done to his Dexter. Considering the final book in the series was just released, I figure the writer must be either thoroughly amused or completely disgusted by the way in which this final TV version is drawing his brain child to a close.

As is, I find it really difficult to even remotely consider the notion that Dexter is at core "a good guy that needs a happy ending" let alone one who is capable after this long a trajectory to nowhere to suddenly wake up and find that he no longer "needs to kill" because he is in love with another killer. I had about as many yawns over that as I did over the entire business of Deb getting shot - predictable and yes, quite stupid.

If the "big storm" is going to mean both literally and figuratively what I think it does for Dexter, there isn't much room for any fancy moves in the finale of the show. Too bad, too - especially for Michael C Hall and all the other names on the show. To his great credit, Michael remains as ever consummately interesting to watch, since even with a bad script he always manages to pull off something awesome: his look when speaking with Saxon was not only chilling but fairly riveting in how he was able to move from hostile to focused to amused within a few paces of film. Kudos to him and wherever he lands next - I am likely to follow.
More+
Flag
AGree except you're cutting MCH too much slack. He's a good actor and I like him, but he's also been an accessory to this hot mess of a season. Not to mention the overall downgrade of quality we've seen since Trinity.
Flag
Actually, considering his options I'd say it was deliberate. Every show has its golden period and he knows that very well. Contributing to the production value of a loser season is a far less egregious offense than the writing credits when you are also the star of the series. His performances are the only reason many like me still watch, and in the end he will come out ahead for it - whereas the writers? I doubt anyone will remember who they are once this one goes down in flames.
Flag
And yet I've brought that up and been told that he's not got that much power, yadayada. I agree that as producer he should have stood out against the idiot words coming out of his mouth and the idiot voiceovers coming out of his brain. He laughed along with the other idiots in The Writer's Room who knew what kind of offal was awaiting the poor audience.
Flag
Ugh. Here's the thing. I would probably watch a season nine of Dexter if there were capabile writers. The final season is just too predictable and thus not interesting. Of course Vogel died. Of course she was personally, not to mention biologically, connected to the Brain Surgeon. of course Dexter let him go after having some sort of magical epiphany that let to the shooting of his sister Deb who by the way, acted wayyyy out of character in this penultimate episode here. Hannah and by extension Yvonne Strahovski was wasted in season eight and hasn't added a damn thing to the plot now that the ex Marshall is dead. She's probably going to die in the finale probably by saving Dexter in some way and Dexter will once again learn that he'll never have the perfect life and stays in Miami with Deb and Harrison because the writers probably don't even have the balls to end Dexter with him actually heading to Argentina to start a new life, unless he Deb simply replaces Hannah in the scenario, which would just imply some sort of incestous situation but they've been there done that anyway so hey what the hell right.
I'll miss Dexter though, but Season 8 will go down in history as the perfect example of a lackluster "Final Season" especially for being so planned out.
More+
Flag
yeah, that was soooo stupid. i was yelling at the show. "why did you just leave him alone???!!!" obviously something bad was gonna happen.
Flag
I bet many in the audience were screaming at their televisions during this moronic scene.
Flag
I was
Flag
WTF? This a.m. I have skittering around in my head - the theme from Dexter! Now, I hate the theme from Dexter (old, tired, faux violent) and have fast forwarded it for years.

Guess it's payback for all the kvetching. :O)

ONE MORE HOUR! YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Flag
I liked it!!!
Flag
Am I the only one who liked this season? I can't wait to see what happens in the next and final episode.
Flag
..No .. You and the writer's moms !!!
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
You are not the only one, but since the writer of this section doesn't like it, commenters that come here are also the ones that don't like it. For me, it is flawed, but defenitely not as bad as people here are saying.

We are not few that still like Dexter, but you will not find the others here.
Flag
Well, congratulations for not calling the haters 'trolls'. I commend you.

If you look around at other sites, there are many, many haters out there. I kept waiting and waiting for the show to get better, as it was in the early days, but imo, it never did. I'm sad but mostly I'm angry at the idiot writers.

Flag
@Elisa, I'm embarrassed to admit I gave "The Following" like 8 episodes before I ran screaming ENOUGH! AT least I wised up. Dexter was GREAT the first 4 seasons. I hated S5 and it seems a lot of Dexter fans hated S6 (I thought it was OK), S7 universally agreed to have been better than 5 or 6 but what the hell happened this year? EVERY convention they took the time to show has been pulled away from this show, Dexter actually worrying about being caught (which for a serial killer regardless of whether they now have feelings should be of top importance), Dexter being challenged finding or luring his victims etc..
Not only has this season played out like a soap opera they've just been lazy as hell about everything. Nothing makes sense and I have a hell of a time staying awake watching it. It's a damn shame that the final season (which these writers had plenty of time to prepare for) is such a hot mess. Look at LOST, a lot of its greatness was "lost" with inferior writing the final couple seasons including the last. Still I can't think of a good show that ended on its own terms that has finished as crappily as Dexter is doing. It's embarrassing.
More +
Flag
@Elisa, I agree at least they let that creepy Dex-Deb romance go by the wayside. Too bad they've kept the Hannah one going..Zero chemistry amongst many problems.
At the end of the day it is tough to keep a story running many seasons and pull it off successfully, I've had my criticisms of this show the past couple seasons but man this one just started out weak and did nothing to recover. This should have been the season of Dexter on the run but no it looks like it'll be the season of Dexter with no consequences sailing off in the sunset with his serial killer GF (who btw killed plenty of people who DIDN'T "deserve" it).. sigh. Real sell out by these lousy writers.
Flag
The Sopranos was great from beginning to end, and still got critics on this and that from people that followed it religiously. Including the finale episode. You mentioned Lost example too. And did you like the end of Gallactica? I thought I was ok with it, but never rewatched further than season 3... I followed some other shows quite far that I didn't get to see the end, like Weeds, or Heroes, or Desperate Housewives, because they started to suck big time at some point.

There are others that I haven't followed myself, but are famous for being really good overall and disappointing a lot of people at the end. like Seinfiled or now HIMYM it seems it's going to be the same (I don't watch this, but I can see what commenters are saying).

There's a lot of them. Don't worry, I'm a little disappointed too, I just think that in these Dexter threads there's a lot of exagerations going on, but I do understand now that is all coming out of frustration. Dexter is not that soapy neither, they let go of that "Deb-Dexter" romance, and I'm so grateful for that!
More +
Flag
@Elisa, well you're entitled to your opinion, I suppose even this season of Dexter doesn't drop to the level of ridiculous that FOX's "The Following" did..and somehow that show got renewed, but still this season IS bad television. This is basically a soap opera with so many pointless story lines and scenes that wind up being meaningless.
We didn't see that kind of stuff the first 4 seasons, it was mostly edge of your seat watching. As for Reviewers, who reviewed this show positively is my question. "Monkey in a box" was basically Crap in a box, any reviewer worth their salt would call it for what it was and TV.Com and EW.com, two sites I visit called it correctly.
Flag
Luckily you can still see the difference with a bad show (I see The Following in the same way as you do). I'm telling you, this is not as bad as you think it is, you are just VERY disappointed because it is not as good as you wanted it to be. I can relate to that. There's a lot of flaws, but probably we could get over them if they would have given us a finale with more impact. After all, Miami Metro has always been a terrible police department, but before we didn't get mad about it.
Flag
It is quite impressive that you are proud to be called "a hater" and that you even call that to yourself and don't even blink. It makes you somehow devoted to hating Dexter, which is very flattering for the show! Devotion is always flattering. I can assure you, all the so-called haters that you see everywhere, they are not the majority of Dexter's viewers. If you believe that, must be because you are not looking in the right places. A lot of people still feel unconditional love for the show and are not affected by a few weaker episodes. And lot of others, like me, went to rate it down from 10 to 7, but can still watch the show and don't feel any need to call themselves names (like "haters").
Flag
to geoffmaze - oh no, if the writer was happy with the show, most people commenting would be happy with the show. There would be a few rants, but the rest of "haters" would just not come in here at all. Just the opposite of what is happening, actually. I read a lot of different shows over here and that is the common note. It is normal, not everybody wants to spend their time fighting opposite opinions. If Cory Barker was saying the show was fantastic, I would feel obligated to make some remarks to that, for sure. But with all these people puking around me, I only get to defend the good points, because you guys are exagerating big time. Because Dexter is not the bad television you guys are saying it is. And because I have a memory, of this show in prior seasons, and of other shows disappointing people when they end (like 90% of them). And I also have eyes to see what other shows are doing as we speak. This is a lower point of the show, but that goes from 10 to 7. Not from 10 to bad television.
Flag
Not to speak for anyone but myself but don't you find it interesting there as so many people on here that are hammering on this show? I can assure you if the reviewer were gloating about this episode, this season, as great television you'd be getting 10x as many "haters" on this thread!
Fact is this is simply BAD TELEVISION and coming from a show that USED to be GREAT is EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTING!
What happened here other than the writers and to a growing extent the cast started taking it for granted and worried more about cashing their checks than putting on a compelling show. There is no flattery going on from any corner it is all about for me, and it seems a lot of Dexter "fans" the need to see how this show we've followed for 8 seasons ends. That's it. If this hot mess of a season was S3 of however many planned seasons I'd like have ducked out long ago.
Flag
you are one of few. it's been a big let down for me.

now go and watch Breaking Bad and you can see a show that knows how to have a final season.
Flag
So in the end, Ryan Gosling killed Deb?

And Dexter and Hannah does not make it to Argent.... ahhh who cares. I just want to see what happens in the end, but I honestly don't care one way or the other about the Dexter-Hannah "relationship". Nor about Masuka and his daughter.

They've done a great job at making even ardent fans no longer care with this season. I'm curious about how it ends, and then I will be relieved....
Flag
i wanna see hannah/dexter live happily ever after (mainly because she is so fine), but i dont see that happening.

all the rest is just blah. well of course i dont want deb to die either, but yeah, im ready for it to be over.

now Breaking Bad on the other hand...is so great. they know how to send a show off into the sunset.
Flag
She may be "fine" (no disagreements), but WTF she has no personality, no chemistry with Dexter and Dexter has become lame because of her.

So I guess I agree, they should ride off together and live happily, because they really deserve each other.

I think at this point the best thing for Harrison is that Dexter and Hannah dies or moves (which ever) and assuming Deb dies as well, he'll move to Atlanta with Jamie.

Sorry for my rant.
Flag
Yup.
Flag
huh! whatever! I enjoyed it :(
Flag
It's very sad to see how showtime treats the last season of a good show like Dexter, the story line of vogel is not bad at all but they handle every single detail so pathetically and with so much stupidity.
But we've invested too much in this serie and we viewers deserve a closure even we don't wish for anything that would make sense anymore.
I'll always remember Dexter cause it's been good for years and no one even those stupid writers can't take that away.
Michael C Hall will always be my favorite actor.
Flag
He is indeed a great actor, both in Six Feet Under and in Dexter.

End of series are often disappointing, but apparently we never remember that when a new end of series arrives :)
Flag
The Michael C. Hall of Six Feet Under and his other efforts. This show will be erased from the world.
Flag
Good gravy! As pointed out elsewhere, Saxon's accent was SUPER heavy this episode - couldn't figure out to hire an English actor, couldya you morons? - and now I know why.

He's from ICELAND! ICELAND, for pity sake. Way to go, casting. You're apparently as stupid as the writers and Scott Buck.

Iceland.
Flag
So where did Saxon get the gun? Did he get it from Lem?

Another comment says Saxon had his arm down when Deb came in with her gun and YET she, a veteran copper, didn't have the time to shoot him in the head?

Really, you fucked up writers? You were that stupid?

Yeah, I'm sure you were.
Flag
he got it from the detective guy that he stabbed.
Flag
Yes, the FEDERAL marshal who didn't have the brains to check out the most wanted alerts on television, not untie a murderer, move the knives from within reaching distance of said murderer, and not keep his distance from same murderer IF he felt the overwhelming urge to untie him.

If ever a television character deserved to die, it was Lem. Sorry, Lem, but it's true. You were one stupid character. In future, read your scripts. You're on a stupid roll.
Flag
yeah i know right. how did he not know that man was wanted. stupid idiot.
Flag
Flag
Hey Scott (gee, hope this is really you) - are you sharing with your brilliant team all the lovely things being said about your moronic show?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
Flag
For you and for a lot of other people (counted by millions). I don't think is the best, but it is a very good show even with the reduced quality.
Flag
Enjoy your 'champaign' for the 'best' show on TV.

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Oh. You're serious.

Sorry.
Flag
wiggle47 is the TV.com log in name for Scott Buck.... remember the writing team truly believes they've produced a quality product..LMAO
Flag
Flag
Oh my goodness, Scott Buck is SPAMMING this site so that there is at least one poor soul who likes this POS?

HOW FUNNY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks, geoffmaze, you've made my day.

Scott Buck, you're a rotten showrunner and now, you're also pathetic.

Oh, and Scott, it's 'champagne'. Then again, 'champaign' is probably all you deserve.
Flag
nothing great, average season.......

acting scenes between Michael C hall and Yvonne Strahovski are pathetic, yvonne's acting of love an affection for dexter are so fake, no chemistry.

Flag
I think she is fine actually, perfect image of love at this point, as she is supposed to be. A different thing is if she has the right kind of chemistry with Dexter. One problem could be that he actually has a much better chemistry level with Deb, although I don't see it sexual, but still.
Flag
seriously, why do people keep watching the show if they "hate" it so much? yeah somethings have been a bit illogical, butyou never know they might be tied up in the last episode. If not, I can still say that i've thoroughly enjoyed ALL seasons of Dexter. Really don't care what haters think, and I'm sure Michael C Hall doesn't either.
Flag
I still enjoyed it, although less and less, until this season. I've only struggled through it because it's the last one, and I'm a completist.
Flag
I really don't know why they do. There must be something they like after all, even if it is just to come here afterwards and be rude as hell. I truly cannot watch a show I hate, because I end up getting sick in my stomach and very nervous. I cannot watch a show I hate even when I have invested years in it. Eventually, i would read the review to see how it ended. I had big problems, for example, with Fringe final series, I had to fast forward a lot of it, but in every episode I had hope that it would be worth it (and it was in one of them, with Peter becoming an observer, if you are familiar... it was excellent and made it all worth it). However, I already dropped Bones, for example, because it is already making my tummy hurt when I watch it LOL
Flag
dexeph must be on the writing team. Good God man you've liked this season? Do you also like Days of Our Lives and Santa Barbara? Re-watch the first couple of seasons and then tune back into what they're putting out there now and tell us this is still a GREAT show. Sure I've rambled on about how crappy this season is or how much the show has dropped since the end of S4 because I am pissed off. This WAS a GREAT show and I went through the same crap with LOST going from great to mediocre. I can't even call this last season of Dexter mediocre, it's at best a laughable parody. Everything is rushed, everything is lazy, corners have been cut so much it's now a circle! I really hope the majority of Dexter fans who do appreciate that this show did provide many hours of riveting entertainment (90%+ of which was in the first half of the series) do not support any television shows this current writing cast and show director come up with. If you see Scott Buck's name come up as the "Show Runner", my advice is do some running yourself!
Flag
Not sure what your definition of "hate" is, but I for one have loved this series for a long time and thus have been really befuddled over the extreme lack of writing skill this season has offered up in comparison to seasons past.

That I am vocal about it, as have been others, does not mean I hate the show. It means I am expressing my view and stating why I have it. I suspect it is the same for many others here.

As is, if all discussion boards are to be limited to only the discussion of positive aspects of a show, whatever that show may be, I daresay they would have to be monitored into oblivion and the list of posters in each thread would be thoroughly reduced to only a handful of people.
Flag
I'm usually of the belief that if you watch a show and realize you hate everything about it, then stop, and I don't care if you've invested the years. However, Dexter pulled a few tricks to keep me watching. If Deb hadn't walked in on Dexter's kill at the end of season 6, I would've stopped after season 6. After 6 years, that was only the valuable card the writers had left to play, so I was basically watching at that point to see if they would ever do it. They did, so I had to see the fall out from that, and it was actually pretty solid at the beginning but stumbled especially near the end. Regardless, it was enough to keep me back for another season. Unfortunately, season 8 hasn't been good from the start, and if it wasn't the final season, it would be the final season for me.

I remember at the time when the show had finished 4 seasons, season 3 was considered the low point. I miss those days, because even then it was still way more watchable than it is now.
Flag
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Good one. Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, you weren't joking.
Flag
Two responses - when you have invested with a show for longer than a season (and most loved the first 4) then you want to see it end regardless of how bad it is. Thousands of people complained about lost but still watched the end to see how it concludes. Secondly, people have been so disappointed that they didn't mind being spoiled and read the spoiler for the final episode already. A lot of people posting here already know whats going to happen next week.
Flag
Flag
Flag
Reddit has some. I read a bit of of it, but I don't have the link. If that's how it turns out: ROFL, but yeah I hope it's wrong.
Flag
Ditto and spot on, tv_worm.

Worst show in the history of television, happily haven't seen the others mentioned.

ONE more hour, and this torture will be over, forever!

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Flag
Why are you hating and flaming so much?
You don´t have to watch it
Flag
Why don't you ask the rest of the haters, Scott?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm????????????
Flag
Basically, here's where I'm at: has the final season lived up to expectations? No. But I've got enough affection left over for these characters that at this point, I don't even care about a dramatically sound ending. The show is incapable of crafting that. I just want to see Deb and Dexter (or at least Deb, because God, she doesn't deserve this) make it through so that I can imagine them being happy somewhere, and the show won't have ruined its legacy. If that happens, I'll be happy with the finale. I mean, relatively speaking.
Flag
Nicely put. I don't even need a happy ending myself, I think Dexter should have a dramatic ending, actually. But I am just watching things wrap up and saying goodbye to the show, and my expectations are not being ruined in any way. There is a reason why most shows don't last for 8 seasons. It is too much.
Flag
I feel the same way about characters of shows I like as well. I am even someone who tends to love characters to the end, even when the shows suck for multiple seasons, I usually watch all the way to the end. As I'm doing with this show.

I still feel this way about Dexter, but especially Deb. But NOT Hannah and not the completely rando Masuka stripper daughter. It's very difficult to get all invested in these parts of the story, which also includes Dexter (who has turned into someone else in this context).......
Flag
If the series Dexter had started with S8 as it's first one, I guarantee it would have been cancelled by episode 6! Really bad stuff. The writers and actors mailed this in a long time ago. Hell they can't even get the correct year on Saxon's files (8/22/12) Did they not realize the show would be on in 2013 or just that lazy? I suspect the latter
Flag
For those that don't know, Clyde Phillips was the original showrunner, and he left after the fourth season. Season 5 was headed by an idiot 24 writer Chip something, and seasons 6-8 was headed by an even bigger idiot named Scott Buck. Why did Clyde have to leave? Maybe he had an end game planned, but Showtime wanted to keep milking it, which is what they pretty much did. Sigh

When it's all finished, and I will repeat this again next week, I'm just going to pretend the show ended after season 4. I'm sure everybody else will do the same. Seriously, post-S4, we've had one okay season (S7), an average season (S5), and two fucking terrible seasons (S6,S8).
Flag
eh actually Season 5 was my favorite season ever. I hated every single second of Season 6, I wish that I could unsee it. lol

but yeah, S7 was more or less okay, and 1-5 was when the show was at it's best for me.
Flag
Oh, for me the show will always have 8 seasons and it will be ok - I will never rewatch any of them anyways. But I understand the feeling, it happens so often that people gets disappointed by the later seasons that it is hardly surprising anymore.
Flag
Season 3 and 6 were the horrible seasons, I could live without them, but liked the others
Flag
Ditto what Sam20 says, save for giving S5 more credit than it deserves. Although in fairness I was judging S5 based on the strength of the first 4 seasons. I remember saying many times during that long crappy season 5 that I gave Dexter a pass because the show was still batting .800 and they were due for a downer season..Little did I know. Personally I thought S6 was OK, S7 was pretty good but man this final season.. "Like Sands through the hour glass so are the Days of our Lives"...BAD SOAP OPERA level!
Flag
Thank you for the clarification, Sam20. So the writing staff, idiots that they are, are the same, but the showrunner is the drooling troglodyte Scott Buck.

And Clyde Phillips was responsible for the brilliance of the early seasons. Thank you, Clyde, and I'm sure you're as PO'ed as we the intelligent audience are.

No doubt Buck sacrificed integrity for dollars. Which, as we all know, makes him a ................ well, you know.

Got it.
Flag
I didn't care too much for season 3 either but ya the last 4 have been terrible. I think the show should have ended with S05E02 (we need to see how Rita's death was resolved after all).
Flag
completely agree! except that to me, season 5 was terrible too.
Flag
I still remember being hooked on this show during the height of season 4. I could barely function throughout the week waiting for the next episode like a junkie waiting for their next high. Looking back I can't believe this is the same show, it had so much potential, and I thought for maybe a second it may of had the same of that old "flame", but once again I'm left disappointed.
Flag
Michael C Hall seems to have perfected the art of Dexter talk. In the scene in front of oliver's computer: "But since Hanna came into my lifffffffffffffffe, it'ssssssssssssssss lessened. What I neeeeeeeeeed is her. " it almost sounds like there's a hidden morse code in it.
Flag
Hall should have an asterisk next to his name in this show. If he is to receive any future work, he should point to Six Feet Under, and tell all potential casting agents that he had a headache in the last season of Dexter.
Flag
Actually he should tell them he was in a coma for the past 4 years and a doppelganger with zero acting chops took his place..
Flag
I don't think I've ever hated any television character as much as Hannah McKay. I know using words like "hate" with regard to a fictional person is silly and sort of pointless, but whoever created this atrocious character and then decided to bring her back should never work another day in the television industry.

Hannah is the main reason why "Dexter" was transmuted into a pathetic soap opera-esque series, as the insipid and grossly inexperienced writers actually tried to humanize Dexter Morgan, instead of further eroding his morality, then giving him a nice comeuppance towards the end of the show's run.

It's funny, because I started watching the show as a fifteen-year-old in '06, and thought it would be too graphic and mature for someone my age. I became hooked after the first episode, and thought Dexter would become an iconic character. Seven years later, it's an absolute pile of detritus not even worthy of a TV-MA rating.
Flag
I understand that you hate her basically because she changed Dexter? I can understand that part. But otherwise, on her own, she is a fine character, I think. But maybe you have to be a female to see that.
Flag
In a nutshell, I loathe Hannah because she stole Dexter's testicles. On her own, Hannah isn't any better; the woman goes around Miami wearing bright clothes and couldn't even think to alter the color and/or length of her hair despite being a well-known fugitive. Clearly, her stupidity affects not only herself, but Dexter as well.
Flag
oh, if it's only for that - anybody could have told her to dye her hair. and they just thought to let her there with the child inside the house
Flag
I'm a female and I think she's the worst character on the show. She doesn't bring anything to the story. She is fugitive, and the worst one ever at that, and she doesn't have any chemistry with Dexter.

I didn't like her last season either, but at least then her role had a function beyond being a 'goal' Dexter was working towards. She was killing people herself, and she and Deb hated each other etc.
Flag
well, then maybe it is not the female factor - but I do like the character quite a lot and I am not gay, so the hotness factor doesn't affect me. Hannah is one of the few serious characters in the show. In this season, there is Dexter, Deb, Hannah and Vogel, only 4 of them (the spycopath son wasn't a serious character to me). However, Hannah changes Dexter history, so I can understand that people can be seriously affected by it. This season she is not doing much of anything, the character was defined last season and it was used this season to create some doubt about Dexter being in his right mind. The doubt has disappeared now and she's just plain Dexter's love. That can be seen as boring, I can understand that.
Flag
I'm actually happy to hear that you really like the character. While I certainly don't, it makes me feel more like it's my own personal preference than the writing being just straight out bad, if that makes sense.

I LOVED Yvonne on Chuck, or rather I loved Chuck, but I find that her acting is not really working for me on Dexter could be the writing, but my point is I have nothing against Yvonne. That and as I mentioned, I don't find their relationship believable due to the lack of chemistry. But then again I want Dexter and Harrison to have some happy ending, and this is the only way that can happen now, anything else would likely end with them in a bad place.
Flag
but she's hot....
Flag
Deb>All.
Flag
no way. she is pretty nice, but hannah is just...wow
Flag
This season hasn't been good since the start, but it got so much worse once she came back. She never should of lived past last season, and I KNEW she would just serve as a stupid distraction for Dexter. Hell, she never should of lived past her trip to the plastic table. The moment Dexter spared Hannah was the moment the show started stumbling again, after a promising start last season. She makes miss the other girls like Lila and Rita. A lot of people won't not agree, but I'll even take LaGuerta over her. You would think of LaGuerta-less season would be good, boy was I wrong about that.
Flag
Remember when Hannah came back she drugged Deb and Dexter, left Deb at the house and dropped Dexter off on the side of the road...Why? No one knows because as it played out, it meant ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!
Flag
I'd take Lumen over Hannah in a heartbeat.
Flag
you can have her.
Flag
Thank you. =D
Flag
All I can say is poor Lem. Guy can't get a break. Every show he stars in he gets killed off either by grenade (The Shield), gun (Burn Notice), or knife (Dexter). It's like the show runners say "Who can we bring in to kill off? Hey I know, what about that Lem guy? Is he available?"
Flag
lol indeed, poor lem...
Flag
Actually, when you think about it...he's become the new Kenny. :)
Flag
Hah, good one!
Flag
writers doing bad job since the beginning of finale season , i am sure they did not have any plan how to finish it or where everything will going to..anyway .i knew no episode will be like season 4 finale .
Flag
Difficult to wrap up a story about a killer, too.
Flag
I've watched all the episodes of Dexter over the last year and with the first few glorious seasons still fresh in my mind, I can confirm that season eight is indeed a great turd of a finale. It's even worse than that season with the ghastly Luminol or whatever her name was. What on earth happened around season 5 that caused Dexter to go from a primetime thriller to a daytime soap opera? The last four seasons have been getting worse and worse, although I did like Ray Stevenson a lot.

I've gone from being an avid sitting-on-the-edge-of-my-seat viewer to having the latest episodes on in the background whilst surfing the web, Occasionally I look up to see some talking waxwork like Quinn or Batista looking pained at having to speak such shite, I then look at the clock, sigh and wonder how much more of this agony there is to go. I repeat this every five minutes.

I think I might start reading the Jeff Lindsay's Dexter novels, after all they have followed a different story arc and hopefully they will turn out better than the show has!
Flag
i read the first book. honestly? i think it's garbage. but, perhaps is still a little better than dexter after season 4
Flag
Dexter will forever be 3 parts now to me. Season 1 (opening), Season 2 (body), season 4 (closing). Everything else was trash/filler and only took away from the dark real tone that made the story seem believable.
Flag
Season 7 was way better then 2 IMO, season 2 had that godawful Lila plot which is not better then this shit season.
Flag
ha-ha I wasn't fan of that character either, but I think Season 2 was great. XD
Flag
It sucked. I have no more words. Nuke everybody and be done with it.
Flag
The point they made about why Dr. Vogel's death was important made sense. Dexter is the way he is because of witnessing his real mother's death, so of course he would have a huge attachment to his "new" mother. But with that said it was strange to see Dexter lose the urge to kill Saxon. If he was becoming more human, he would want to kill Saxon because of revenge. If he was still the same from season 1 he would mostly just want to kill for the sake of the kill. I don't understand. I guess he's so infatuated with Hannah, he doesn't want to waste time disposing of Saxon's body. But what about THAT is such a big deal, why is that a revelation? And shouldn't ghost Harry be sticking around to tell his son what an idiot he's being? Haha. So many burning questions.

Flag
There have definitely been directions in Dexter I don't like and wish things went another way but overall this has been a good show. I totally agree the first half of the whole Dexter series was undoubtedly far far better. No question about it. I'll leave judgment for the finale and may really hate it or who knows? I just know I stand in line with the true fans and leave the over the top bashing be.
Flag
So, I see people calling this episode/season trash, that's simply not true. Calling it trash is a huge compliment, it's so much more worse than that. All of the characters have been dumbed down to the point of where they've turned in to non-interesting, vomit-inducing, and non-sense decision making idiots. The whole episode was dreadful, the dialogue was horrendous, and the ending was dissapointing.

I'm so glad that it's almost over. I can't believe that this show has gone from great (in Season 1), to amazing (Season 2), to fantastic (Seasons 4/5), and now it's worse than garbage. Whoever was put in charge of the last season of Dexter should be ashamed of themselves. Shame on the Network, shame on the writers, and shame that these great actors were forced into acting these horrible dialogues/and poorly written slow motion action scenes.

I'd rather take a fork and stab myself in the leg repeatedly than to EVER see this episode again.

/rant over.
Flag
Agree with you Chris except let's not let the actors entirely off the hook. At what point does someone (Michael C. "Creative Producer" Hall for example) stand up and say ENOUGH! The writing has been atrocious but the acting on many occasions has been poor at best as well. Everyone's mailed it in and it is a shame.
Flag
Thank you for the hate, it was great. Guess the poor 'fan' who thought all haters were trolls is long gone.

And how 'bout them voiceovers? Moronic? Or moronic?
Flag
I never said that/or thought that?

the show has had it's ups and downs. for example: I truly hated Season 6, I thought it was piece of crap. I didn't enjoy a single second of it. there has been some bad and some good seasons. I've held hope that the show would end on a strong note but alas I was wrong. there has been some glimmers of hope, just because I was in love with Cassie (Bethany-Joy), and I was hoping that she play a big part in the final season but that didn't happen.

I also liked the Zach storyline but that was put to rest just as fast as the Cassie storyline was.

The problem is not even the terrible villian this season (a psychopath with mommy issues) and predictability, The biggest problem this season for me is the lack of focus. there was the Zach thing, there was the Vogel thing, there was even the Masuka thing (does anyone even care about that?), and the Hannah thing. it's just too many storyline's, and none of the recieved enough attention.

also the terrible writing/dialogue/acting and even voiceovers contribute to this being the worst season of Dexter yet.
More +
Flag
You hated S6, I hated S5, but we can both agree this is hands down the worst season of Dexter yet! What a sad way for a once great show to go out!
Flag
Hey can't help to wonder. Have Dexter's writers actually changed (I mean the whole team) or are we talking about the same amazing brain cells that wrote season one, but just on some really bad crack?

Flag
They changed after season 4...
Flag
Oh? I was told that they're the same.

No wonder the show blows goats.
Flag
Bwahahahah love that expresion.
Flag
Oh, that explains A LOT.
Thanks!
Flag
Load More Comments