A Dexter Community
Showtime (ended 2013)

Dexter S08E12: "Remember the Monsters?"

It's kind of fitting that it ended this way. For a long time (dating back to the third season), I've wondered whether Dexter was actually a good show. I've certainly enjoyed individual moments and even full episodes, but since the end of Season 2, there's been that sinking feeling that the series wasn't what we thought—or hoped—it would be. Every single time that the show would rope me back in with a fascinating story, be it Trinity or Dexter's relationship with Lumen or most of Season 7, something would go wrong and I'd remember, "Oh yeah, it's Dexter." I don't want to say that this eight-year journey wasn't worth it, but after "Remember the Monsters?" ended (and I stopped laughing), I felt that feeling again. Oh yeah, that was Dexter

Frankly, the series finale could have been much worse. The good news is that the oft-mentioned Reddit "leaked" spoilers weren't true, for the most part. Quinn did not randomly become a serial killer-in-training and Dexter, Hannah, and Harrison didn't get to live happily ever after with no consequences. The bad news is that what actually occurred wasn't that much different or better than that possible ending. Deb did in fact die from complications from her gunshot wound—quite suddenly, I might add—but Dexter, not Quinn, took care of Saxon, like he probably should have two episodes ago. And although Dexter, Hannah, and Harrison did get their butts out of Miami, and in ridiculously stupid ways, they are separated and generally unhappy. 

So Dexter didn't get his happy ending, which is what I feared would happen for so much of this season. Yet at the same time, he didn't totally have to face the music either. Deb died—and Dexter was somehow able to take her off life support, wheel her out of the hospital, and put her in a boat during hurricane conditions because obviously—but it's not as though Dexter had to admit any substantive wrongdoing to anyone other than her lifeless body, and to himself, I guess. In fact, Deb actually absolved him of any wrongdoing, repeatedly. It's nice that he recognized that he didn't deserve to have a 'normal' life, and that his actions negatively impact everyone around him, particularly in light of last week's random TRUE LOVE IS THE ELIXIR nonsense, but c'mon. Where this ended doesn't really line up with much of anything that happened this season, does it? If anything, a really stupid happy ending would've tracked, at least somewhat, with all the empty conversations Dexter had with Vogel about how special he was for loving, or something. Instead, he experienced a last-minute change of heart, and one that's a little more consistent with the character in the series' total run, but one that was mostly empty in light of the last 11 episodes. The show was so far gone by the time the series finale rolled around that no path would've worked particularly well, so I guess we can appreciate that the writers kind of tried to rectify their mistakes in this final hour. 

Still, they still couldn't help themselves. Just when it seemed like Dexter would do the half-assed noble thing and just kill himself by driving a boat with too small a beer cooler into a full-blown hurricane, he apparently lived—and lived just so he could log. Don't get me wrong, Michael C. Hall pulls off the beard-and-flannel look quite well, but huh? Deb died, Harrison is with a woman who will be a fugitive the rest of her life, and he's just going to Brawny Man it up in the Pacific Northwest or something? But this is how the show has always worked, ever since that wobbly ending to Season 2. Dexter might suffer, but it's always temporary, and he'll never pay with his life. Others will, and he can spout off about consequences, but he still gets to survive. That tells us all we need to know about how the writers view the character, and what they think he deserves. That final ending felt like something that another production might film just in case, only to realize that they didn't need it. But not this show; they can't let go of the chance to let the 'hero' kill some more bad people and be sort of disappointed and affected by all the awful things he's done.

For Deb, this was probably the ending we all knew was coming, even if it was the one we didn't want to face. Her death could have truly meant something—you know, if it'd forced Dexter into a darker or more honest instead of inspiring him to adopt new grooming habits and abandon his son—but instead she ended up at the bottom of the ocean. There was something fitting about Deb being Dexter's final body dump, which made that scene the strongest moment in the entire episode. But even disassociated from the very odd way the season progressed after Deb drove Dexter off the bridge and tried to kill him, Deb's role in the final episode was kind of weird. We expect the show to pull the rug out from under us when a character's in the hospital, but Deb was shockingly healthy—I think the doctor even reinforced her confidence in the recovery—only to almost immediately fall victim to a stroke and be hooked up to life support, all off-screen. Deb was the character who grew the most during the series' run, and she was the true heart and soul of the series. Once the writers lost the thread with her this season, Dexter never recovered. Her death wasn't not emotional, but it didn't have the weight it deserved. Jennifer Carpenter did her best, and she and Michael C. Hall shared some fine moments in this final season, but her crowning achievements on the show happened last year. 

Across the board, the finale felt pretty matter-of-fact. Saxon, never a compelling or intimidating threat, beat up The Killing and Boardwalk Empire's Eric Ladin and then almost immediately got arrested. Dexter taking him out was about as a boilerplate as the show gets, though it did manage to squeeze a nice moment out of Dexter, Quinn, and Batista watching Dexter kill Saxon on tape. All three of actors did good work in that scene, with Desmond Harrington portraying Quinn's pleasure with just the righ amount of glee and David Zayas working through the confusion of the moment quite methodically as well. Honestly, this was probably Zayas's best work since like Season 4 or something; that's what happens when you give solid actors interesting things to do. Even the flow of the episode lacked complete urgency, hurricane or not. In one 10-12 minute sequence, Dexter left the airport, visited Deb in the hospital, went to the hotel with Hannah and Harrison, accompanied them the bus stop to say goodbye, then returned to the hospital. Along the way, he seemed about as concerned as he'd be chasing a gang-banger through the mall. So very little emotion or energy, pacing-wise, which is again pretty evocative of Season 8 as a whole. 

Ultimately, "Remember the Monsters?" isn't really a divisive finale. The people who really, really love Dexter probably enjoyed this episode. There weren't any big twists, there were a few good individual moments, and sure, Dexter faced some substantive consequences with Deb's death. For those of us who've been disappointed with the final season, the series finale didn't take the show down any further into the depths of awful television. So much of the show's swan song was so boring and devoid of urgency, and this finale was mostly the same, with a slight uptick in quality. It was entirely mediocre: typically dumb in spots, but not Season 6 levels of dumb, or even as bad as last week's penultimate episode. People won't be angrily tweeting about it in five years, because it just didn't have any impact at all.

It's too early to solidify the series' legacy, for sure. But I do think we'll probably look back in a decade and be confused about how much we talked or cared about this show. Time isn't going to be kind to it, and that hasn't very little to do with this finale. It was a decent, regularly frustrating series with a few great performances to keep it from sinking. Dexter will likely be remembered more for what it did for Showtime as network, and for Michael C. Hall's performance, than for anything else. And that's okay. Not every show is capital-G Great, and now that it's over, we can all admit that Dexter wasn't. 

ONE LAST DRIP

– Absolutely no Masuka this week, so apparently that story with his daughter did, in fact, go nowhere. Do you think they made it out of Miami during the hurricane, or did they just smoke a bowl together and do something really awkward? How did he not even appear in the finale? [UPDATE: Masuka appeared briefly, and I forgot. Whoops.)

– Nobody else learned Dexter's secret, which reminds me that overall, my finale predictions weren't too far off. I went 4/6, if we're assuming that the seeds for a spin-off weren't really there. I mean, Hall is not doing this anymore, right? Someone take his phone away so he can't agree to a six-episode miniseries event called Dexter: Ax Man or something. 

– But on that note, isn't the hurricane the perfect opportunity to wash up a bunch of bodies? I know the show has done that before, but if you're going to do a hurricane story and there aren't going to be any tangible consequences anyway, why not?

– I appreciate that Dexter put on his Murder Henley to drive across the extremely calm pre-hurricane water to retrieve Deb and kill her. That guy is committed to the bit. 

– Another thing that happened off-screen with very little import: Elway's death. I'm assuming Hannah just straight-up poisoned the dude on the bus, but wouldn't people have noticed that? Although people always did stupid stuff on this show, the number of CLEARLY idiotic choices this season was through the roof. [UPDATE: Apparently Hannah just tranq'd him, as commenters have pointed out. I still don't recall this scene at all, but I trust you. My apologies.]

– One last time, it needs to be said: Michael C. Hall was so good on this show. Without him, Dexter would've gone nowhere fast. He brought a lot more texture to the role than it probably even deserved.

– We've reached the end of the road. Thanks for reading my reviews of the last two seasons. What an experience it's been. 

What'd you think of the series finale? 

781 Comments
Comments (782)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I don't know who wrote this crap article, but this show never lost its edge. It was so intense during the last 5 episodes, i even had to skip ahead to the final seconds of the last show just to make sure someone made it out alive and well, or i would have been pissed. Everything that happened during the final few episodes of the show, was soo emotional for dexter, especially deb's death. If you understood the character at all, you would realize he is not so emotional that he is going to run around waving his arms and screaming. For someone who got that, it wouldnt make his reaction or the show any less intense, especially if you understood that how he handled it was very emotional for him and well thats "just dexter". Everyone in this show did an awesome bang up job in ALL of the seasons. It was also one of the best, if not THE best, television series i have ever watched. Though i admit i wanted the happily ever after ending.
Flag
Deb was hannahs biggest critic, so in the end when deb accepted her, we would too. So the people with problems with her character after it was all said and done, missed that. Cool ending: deb lives marries quinn, dex and hannah happily ever after and twist is his student, i forget his name, the boy who dex mentored is the final shot, with him leaving his apartment and winking as the new dexter is dead from his old life and a new one is born. Just a thought.
Flag
I think whoever wrote this article, decided it wasnt her cup of tea after season 2, but had to continue to watch it and write about it for work. Her take on the show reflects something along those lines, because it rocked and will stand the test of time.
Flag
Everyone on that show did an awesome job, in ALL the seasons.
Flag
I think that Michael C. Hall couldn't get over the fact that his sister died since they were finally close again. His sister was a big part of his life, and now that she was dying I guess he couldn't let Deb suffer? (not sure) but anyways, after Dexter dropped Deb in to the ocean, it was loosing someone close and I could see why he didn't want to go back to Harrison and Hanna. It also did say In the very end that he keeps hurting everyone he loves or is important to him. I thought he was intending to kill himself when he was going into the storm after driving away from Debra. I loved this show, not the ending.
Flag
the ending sucked..i realize that what happened to Debra is a big shock to Dexter and that he thinks that it's his fault but he should have gone to argentina with harrison and hannah and try to start a new life and maybe try to redeem himself for everything he's done...at least that's how i pictured it when he threw Debra's body into the ocean

Flag
Here is my opinion. ALSO, I will give my version of how I envisioned the show not ending, but running into a season 9.

Season 8 was not the high point of Americas favorite serial-killer, "Dexter". That's the nicest way I can put it into words. Dexter was different. He was not like any other human being. Dexter did not see the world the same way a typical human being would. Dexter did not let a moral compass get in the way of what he knew "logically" had to be done. I think that's what we loved most about the show and the character, "Dexter Morgan", AKA "The Bay Harbour Butcher". Dexter did not view things and base his decisions on right or wrong. Why do you think Dexter, before going after his murderes, always most of the time, made ABSOLUTELY sure that the life he was going to take, met with the code that gave him the opportunity to live in the staged reality we so call "a normal life"? Also, to feed his urge to kill. Dexter ultimately liked to take human lives I think because, when he was a child, and seeing his mother chopped up by a chainsaw, sitting in a fountain of her blood... Well, his need for control was way to powerful, he can't control his urge to kill... But, That's not why Dexter is different from other human beings, though. Dexter doesn't have compassion like other humans. He does not see the world in a right or wrong perspective. He sees things logically. Dexter bases his decisions on facts, and logic. The one thing I loved about Dexter, he saw the world for what it really was. Dexter knew how things worked, how the game was played, and he took that to his advantage. I'm not saying that Dexter didn't care at all, we all know that's not true. Dexter absolutely, without a doubt, loved Deb. Remember also, Dexter loved in his own way. Dr. V was right about that. She did say that you love but in your own way and it's not like other human beings love. Although Dexters child hood did mess him up in a lot of ways, that's not what made Dexter different from anyone else. It may have made Dexter become a serial-killer, but Dexter has always been different from everyone else. He views things in a totally different perspective, and that's why Dex is not like others... Him needing to kill is a urge. The way he thinks and the fact he's different was before his mother was killed. the fact Dexter, before acting on anything, always made sure before taking action, everything met his code and he had absolute proof and facts before he took a life, showed he isn't the way he is because of his childhood. He was very intelligent and knew he had a dark blackness inside him he could not cover up or ignore, so logically knowing this, he made it work. Dexter knew the only way to make both sides work, was to take the code seriously and live by it and don't get caught. The way season 8 ended.... Let's just say, I wanted to throw up my dinner right then and there. I was absolutely appalled by what you did with Dexters character. Not even with season 8, but since after season 4, you took Dexter and who he was, cut it into pieces, wrapped it up in plastic bags, and threw it into the ocean. You missed the concept of who Dexter was. Dexter was never a normal human being. His childhood tragedy isn't the result of him being different from normal people. It made him a killer... yes, but the point is Dexter was different all a long, even before that tragedy as a child. You took his story, and changed it to Dexter could've been saved all along... Blah blah. He could've been normal... Blah blah... We shouldn't have given up so early on him... Blah blah. Save the bullshit for another show. You shit on his character.

Now... Time for Deb.....

My god... You took an amazing character that's been with this show since the beginning, and gave her what, 10 minutes of air-time on the very last episode of the show? You kill her off like some nit-wit that was only on the show for 1 season? I was in absolute shock. Here I thought it couldn't get any worst after what was done with Dexters character. Deb hated Hannah. When Hannah first was introduced, you better believe Deb would've never let her brother get hurt, or Harrison. She was willing to do what she had to do to keep Dexter safe. Deb knew that Hannah killed for self protection, and knew if it came down to it, Hannah would always choose herself over anyone else. Hannah M. Killed her husband for crying out loud, because he didn't want a family? PLEASE!!!! Why on earth would Debra all of a sudden accept Hannah and let her smuggle her way into Dexters life and Harrison's and then smuggle out of the country? NOT TO MENTION DEB WOULD NEVER LET HER STAY IN HER HOUSE EVER. Knowing what she's done. That's a load of shit. Debra never EVER would've accepted that. She would've done everything in her power to slam Hannah M. for what she's done and put her away for good. She would've NEVER let Hannah take Harrison out of the country, ESP without Dexter. Are you kidding me? back on Dexters end for a second:: Dexter has killed women before that've done terrible things, and that were attractive. So, tell me, how the hell is Hannah any different? What makes her worthy of a second chance? How is she any different from any of the other killers that were on Dexters table? Dexter would've never given up the one thing that's kept his life in balance, and that's the code. Hannah was a killer, and she wasn't going to stop, Dexter knowing this, would've killed her. No hesitation about it. I can see him having sex with her on the table, of course he's physically attracted, giving in to his physical desire... That's fine. Dexter though is way to intelligent to give in completely though to a physical desire, so.. The dexter we know would've killed her instantly after fulfilling his physical wants, because he knows the consequences of letting a person of that nature carry on living. Yes, he didn't see right or wrong, but he did see risk of complicating the life he worked so hard to build if he had left her alive. Dexter never let lust or physical pull get in the way of what had to be done. He protected the master-piece he worked so hard to build and never let ANYONE risk hurting that. When it comes to Deb, Dexter didn't know what love was, but with Deb, he knew unconditional love. The difference between most humans and Dexter is, Dexter loved unconditionally when he did love. I think he only had that love for Deb. No matter what Deb did, no matter what she said, even when she was scared, and threatened the walls of the double life Dex worked so hard to make possible, he never once thought about hurting her. Dex only wanted to help his sister. Always. That's unconditional love, when most humans love someone because they've molded and shaped the person they see into what they believe them to be, when Dexter sees the Deb for who she really is and loves her because of that, unconditionally. The same goes for Deb. No matter what Dexter did, she knew who Dexter was and she still loved him, unconditionally. They knew exactly who each other were. They always chose one another and that's what makes unconditional love different from being "In love". Dexter always saw things in a different light. So did Deb. She should not have died... And the way she died was poor writing on y'all's part. You based the last season on a psychopath that cuts open brains... And you let Debs character die over "The Brain Surgeon" shooting her with a gun? Really? That's just pathetic and laziness right there. Dexter and Deb deserved so much more out of their character from what you guys gave them. You turned them into the opposite of who they were.

Now, here is my idea on how it should've played out. The only difference is Dexter dreamed Deb died... That's it.... He dreamed faking his death... But Saxton is out there still and he really did shoot Deb but everything after that... Dream.

(Dexter finally comes to. He gasps. Having the most horrific dream he'd ever had. Losing his sister(Debra) to Saxton. His heart is racing fast. Understanding he had been blinded by physical infatuation with Hannah. Voice over:::: I've put my family, the only thing balancing my two worlds, in danger. I've been foolish. Thinking it were possible to have a functional relationship with a woman, who's willing to do anything, to keep herself safe. Even kill. Hannah poisoned her husband for not wanting a family, she's killed before and she will again. My family will never be safe. I know what I have to do...

(Dexter then notices he's inside his car) VO:::: How did I get here? (Dexter blinks a few times, checking his surroundings. He sees he's parked at the hospital parking lot.) VO::::: "Was it not a nightmare? Is Deb really dead? Are miracles really possible for someone like me?" (Dexter opens his car door, walking in a fast pace inside the hospital. He rushes passed people, who are just a blur to his vision, when all he can think about is Deb. He needs to make sure it was a nightmare. Dexter finally approaches room 205. He looks down at the door handle, knowing he was about to discover the truth, and knowing miracles never happen, to him anyway, he prepared himself for the worst. Dexter opens the door. His heart absolutely drops. His eyes grow big, as he almost feels as if he had stopped breathing, and someone just revived him.)

"Shouldn't you be half way around the world by now?" (Deb quietly speaks. She sits up a bit more, moaning a bit from the gun shot wound.)

(Dexter finally snaps out of the short lived trance he was in, staring at Deb.)VO::::The nightmare I had felt as real to me as this moment. I realize who I am and what I do. I can't change. It was foolish to think somehow running off with Hannah could work in some way. I can never let my physical desire get in the way of my life ever again. It put the one person I've ever truly cared about in a hospital bed and my son in danger. Am I toxic?

"Fuckin A, Dex..." (Deb looks at Dexter, with a confused, pissed off look.)

"Sorry." (Dexter says as closing the door. He walks over to Deb, sitting on the edge of the hospital bed. Dexter glances at his sister, looking her directly in the eyes, filled with regret. Knowing his actions have caused all of this. He grabs Debs hand, folding it into his.) "I lost you today." (Dexter says, with the most painful look in his eyes.)

(Deb smiles a little and holds dexters hand.) "It's gonna take more then a bullet in the gut to get rid of me, asshole. (She reassures Dexter, letting him know she's okay. Dexter looks at Deb and nods. His smile fades, as he realizes what he's done. He let Hannah take Harrison. They're probably already half way to Argentina by now.) "I love you, Deb. So much."

(Debs smile becomes brighter. She looks at Dexter with complete certainty) "I love you too.(She then realizes something isn't right with Dexter. She sits up a bit more, becoming more coherent, snapping out of her pain med trip.) "Answer my question." (Deb says in a serious tone)

(Dexter looks at Deb and sighs, releasing her hand from his grip) "I told Hannah to take Harrison." (Dexter stands up putting his hands on the top of his head with regret and frustration.) "Deb, you were right all a long. I should've never trusted Hannah." (He walks over to the window, looking at the view of the ocean) "If I had kept to my routine, loyal to the "code", she would be dead, and none of this would've ever happened."

(Deb looks at Dexter, his back turned to her.) "I don't blame you, Dex. (Dexter turns and looks at Deb) "why? I've caused you nothing but pain since you discovered the truth about me. (Deb shakes her head) "This is my life, I made my own choices that led me here, and I take full responsibility for it. Don't you dare blame yourself for the choices I've made. I know you think you're responsible for me and where I've ended up.....but you're not...You hear me? (Debs voice gets shaky, she reaches her hand out to Dex. Dexter walks closer to the bed, and grabs debs hand)

"I swear to fucking god Dex......."

(Dexter nods) "Yes! Okay... I hear you."

(Deb, satisfied to hear that) "Good...." (Deb let's go of dexters hand and starts to pull the IV out of her vein, taking the oxygen tube off her nose)

(Dexter tries to stop her) "Deb you haven't recovered fully, what are you doing?"

(Deb puts her hand Infront of Dex giving him a warning sign to back off) "What the fuck does it look like I'm doing? I'm helping my brother save my nephew from little ms. Poison Ivey... Jesus fuck Dex.... "(Deb stands up, in a bit of pain)

"How could you trust her with Harrison? She's a killer. She only cares about herself and she will do anything to get what she wants..." (Deb gets cut off verbally of course by Dex ;)

"Deb, I know. ( Dexter takes a deep breath, knowing there is nothing he can say to keep his sister out of this, but will try anyway) "but.."

(Deb cuts Dexter off) "I'm coming with you. End of story."

(Dexter sighs, in defeat. knowing how stubborn his sister is, there is nothing he can say to change her mind. Just knowing she's not dead made him feel alive once again. He never wanted to lose that... Ever again.)

"Let me at least talk to the doctor and let her know that I will be taking you home... You're back on the force now, Deb. You have to be careful to not alarm others. We can't risk anyone knowing where they are before we get to them, first. "

(Deb rolls her eyes, hating the fact that she knows he's right) "Well, what the fuck are waiting for? You talk, I walk." (She says, in irritation, walking over to her folded clothes on the dresser, extra cranky from the pain meds wearing off) "Don't forget my prescription."

(Dexter walks to the door, opening it, he looks back at Deb) "You were wrong you know"

(Deb looks at Dexter) "about what?"

"You were always the strong one, not me." (He walks out to talk to the doctor about debs release)

I will post more later but I was thinking it was all a dream, Dex wakes up, sees Deb was shot but she's ok...: they go on a trip, trying to find Harrison and Hannah... So Dex can finally put Hannah where she belongs... On his table and get Harrison back safe with him and Deb. But someone was outside the hospital room listening the whole time...... It was Quinn. See how many different ways it could've played out? All you had to do was use your brain and be creative.

More+
Flag
Dexter finally comes to. He gasps. Having the most horrific dream he'd ever had. Losing his sister(Debra) to Saxton. His heart is racing fast. Understanding he had been blinded by physical infatuation with Hannah. Voice over:::: I've put my family, the only thing balancing my two worlds, in danger. I've been foolish. Thinking it were possible to have a functional relationship with a woman, who's willing to do anything, to keep herself safe. Even kill. Hannah poisoned her husband for not wanting a family, she's killed before and she will again. My family will never be safe. I know what I have to do...

(Dexter then notices he's inside his car) VO:::: How did I get here? (Dexter blinks a few times, checking his surroundings. He sees he's parked at the hospital parking lot.) VO::::: "Was it not a nightmare? Is Deb really dead? Are miracles really possible for someone like me?" (Dexter opens his car door, walking in a fast pace inside the hospital. He rushes passed people, who are just a blur to his vision, when all he can think about is Deb. He needs to make sure it was a nightmare. Dexter finally approaches room 205. He looks down at the door handle, knowing he was about to discover the truth, and knowing miracles never happen, to him anyway, he prepared himself for the worst. Dexter opens the door. His heart absolutely drops. His eyes grow big, as he almost feels as if he had stopped breathing, and someone just revived him.)

"Shouldn't you be half way around the world by now?" (Deb quietly speaks. She sits up a bit more, moaning a bit from the gun shot wound.)

(Dexter finally snaps out of the short lived trance he was in, staring at Deb.)VO::::The nightmare I had felt as real to me as this moment. I realize who I am and what I do. I can't change. It was foolish to think somehow running off with Hannah could work in some way. I can never let my physical desire get in the way of my life ever again. It put the one person I've ever truly cared about in a hospital bed and my son in danger. Am I toxic?

"Fuckin A, Dex..." (Deb looks at Dexter, with a confused, pissed off look.)

"Sorry." (Dexter says as closing the door. He walks over to Deb, sitting on the edge of the hospital bed. Dexter glances at his sister, looking her directly in the eyes, filled with regret. Knowing his actions have caused all of this. He grabs Debs hand, folding it into his.) "I lost you today." (Dexter says, with the most painful look in his eyes.)

(Deb smiles a little and holds dexters hand.) "It's gonna take more then a bullet in the gut to get rid of me, asshole. (She reassures Dexter, letting him know she's okay. Dexter looks at Deb and nods. His smile fades, as he realizes what he's done. He let Hannah take Harrison. They're probably already half way to Argentina by now.) "I love you, Deb. So much."

(Debs smile becomes brighter. She looks at Dexter with complete certainty) "I love you too.(She then realizes something isn't right with Dexter. She sits up a bit more, becoming more coherent, snapping out of her pain med trip.) "Answer my question." (Deb says in a serious tone)

(Dexter looks at Deb and sighs, releasing her hand from his grip) "I told Hannah to take Harrison." (Dexter stands up putting his hands on the top of his head with regret and frustration.) "Deb, you were right all a long. I should've never trusted Hannah." (He walks over to the window, looking at the view of the ocean) "If I had kept to my routine, loyal to the "code", she would be dead, and none of this would've ever happened."

(Deb looks at Dexter, his back turned to her.) "I don't blame you, Dex. (Dexter turns and looks at Deb) "why? I've caused you nothing but pain since you discovered the truth about me. (Deb shakes her head) "This is my life, I made my own choices that led me here, and I take full responsibility for it. Don't you dare blame yourself for the choices I've made. I know you think you're responsible for me and where I've ended up.....but you're not...You hear me? (Debs voice gets shaky, she reaches her hand out to Dex. Dexter walks closer to the bed, and grabs debs hand)

"I swear to fucking god Dex......."

(Dexter nods) "Yes! Okay... I hear you."

(Deb, satisfied to hear that) "Good...." (Deb let's go of dexters hand and starts to pull the IV out of her vein, taking the oxygen tube off her nose)

(Dexter tries to stop her) "Deb you haven't recovered fully, what are you doing?"

(Deb puts her hand Infront of Dex giving him a warning sign to back off) "What the fuck does it look like I'm doing? I'm helping my brother save my nephew from little ms. Poison Ivey... Jesus fuck Dex.... "(Deb stands up, in a bit of pain)

"How could you trust her with Harrison? She's a killer. She only cares about herself and she will do anything to get what she wants..." (Deb gets cut off verbally of course by Dex ;)

"Deb, I know. ( Dexter takes a deep breath, knowing there is nothing he can say to keep his sister out of this, but will try anyway) "but.."

(Deb cuts Dexter off) "I'm coming with you. End of story."

(Dexter sighs, in defeat. knowing how stubborn his sister is, there is nothing he can say to change her mind. Just knowing she's not dead made him feel alive once again. He never wanted to lose that... Ever again.)

"Let me at least talk to the doctor and let her know that I will be taking you home... You're back on the force now, Deb. You have to be careful to not alarm others. We can't risk anyone knowing where they are before we get to them, first. "

(Deb rolls her eyes, hating the fact that she knows he's right) "Well, what the fuck are waiting for? You talk, I walk." (She says, in irritation, walking over to her folded clothes on the dresser, extra cranky from the pain meds wearing off) "Don't forget my prescription."

(Dexter walks to the door, opening it, he looks back at Deb) "You were wrong you know"

(Deb looks at Dexter) "about what?"

"You were always the strong one, not me." (He walks out to talk to the doctor about debs release)

I will post more later but I was thinking it was all a dream, Dex wakes up, sees Deb was shot but she's ok...: they go in a trip, trying to find Harrison and Hannah... So Dex can finally out Hannah where she belongs... On his table and get Harrison back safe with him and Deb. But someone was outside the hospital room listening the whole time...... It was Quinn. See how many different ways it could've played out? All you had to do was use your brain and be creative.
More+
Flag
This is actually my number one favorite show. I thought it was the perfect series finale. I loved every episode of the show and even liked the ending which left us with the possibility of him coming back.

I couldn't stop crying in the last 10 minutes, it was all just too emotional.
Flag
Thank God for you using Dr. Ikhine to bring back my husband who left as a result of unable to give him a baby for marriage of 15years and now he is back saying that children come from God that he will be patient with me and all this happen since i contacted the powerful spell caster and he is very nice and also genuine in his work contact him on agbadado@gmail.com or call him +2347060552255 for your own help
Flag
I binge watched the entire series in a few weeks so maybe that gives me different perspective, but I thought the whole thing was absolutely brilliant. The end was perfect and the only possible way it could end.
Flag

Wow!!!! what an experience! dr.marnish is a wonderful spell caster, he has made my life complete again by helping me cast a spell to return my girlfriend and also make her to be faithful to me again. I was skeptical at first, but what a believer I am now, his spell really worked! my lover is now faithful to me, if you are also seeking for help to get your lover back? Call +15036626930 or email dr.marnish@yahoo.com
Ertugal maxwell
Flag
And just to add. A lot of people feel it's wrong to throw Deb into the water with the other bodies. But isn't she essentially his last victim? Not by his knife but metaphorically speaking by his hand? And maybe he feels such a sense of peace out on the water the viciousness of the murder is paralleled by the sending off ceremony in the place he finds most calming, peaceful and free.
Flag
I loved the ending. Dexter was capable of love. He loved Hannah and Harrison so much he set them free. Deb dying showed him that everyone he loves most, ultimately dies. So he gave them life by leaving them. And Hannah miscarried the baby she longed for so Dex gave her his most precious gift of all. I actually thought he would jump in with Deb to be with her forever as she wanted. And to die in his grave he had created with all his victims. I was a little thrown by the werewolf logger at the end and actually wondered was it a grown up Harrison and were we going to see a wizened Hannah chained to a post and he was slowly eating her or something!! Thankfully not. But when I digested the final scene I could see that suicide was too simple an escape and not one he felt he deserved. As Deb said to Quinn in the ambulance she had to pay for all the wrongdoing, so too is Dex. He is punishing himself with isolation and daily existence cut off from love so he can't extinguish it again. Cutting trees instead of people? I'm sure not! Though a happy ending would have pleased me even though it would have annoyed others. It would have underlined the fact that good can overcome evil, that people can change with enough love, that there is hope for a violent world. I'd have quite liked that but maybe after all he had done that would be too easy and weak. Anyway, I think there's too much criticism about the end. Although I watched Breaking Bad before this and can't say enough good about it, people were pleased as it's ending was so deadly and it tied up all the loose ends. Well I think the ending of Dexter is underrated as I think it was clever and like any good book it was left to our imaginations to fit the pieces together.
More+
Flag
He completed his journey from cutting up people (animals) to cutting up trees (plants). I'm taking it as a subtle push to GO VEGAN.
Flag
I really liked everything from Dexter walking in to Deb's room to him deciding to end himself in the hurricane. It was a poignant ending better than everything else that season, and a decent conclusion. Lumberjack Dexter undid all that so spectacularly. I don't know what the point was.
Flag

I think a happy ending would have fit the narrative of the early GOOD seasons very well and would have actually been more daring giving the protagonist's nature. This isn't about right and wrong, sins and redemption; this is about one man, his own suffering, and what he wants, and he just so happens to be a serial killer.

Everything didn't have to go so wrong, the plot holes in the final season are proof enough that the idiot writers were forcing a bad ending to teach a ham handed 'moral of the story' lesson, because god forbid people recognize that Dexter's darkness is in all of us, that Monsters don't always get punished, and that society is just a collection of human will and social contructs... there is no 'justice' outside of our own desire to create order in the world, and that desire only exists to SERVE US. The series started as something truly daring that shined light on a part of us so many pretend isn't there. It ended with shallow, poorly constructed moral narratives that reinforce the norm, as though attempting to restore that false sense of order and moral absolutes to the world of Dexter. How pathetic.
More+
Flag
Just watched the finale and thought it was ok. I felt a lot of the internal questions were answered. Basically Dexter, and he admits it in this episode, will never have normal life. I loved the lightning and emptiness as Dexter had to Dump Debs body. it was amazing watching him say goodbye to 'harry' after all this time. Not the action as some other seasons, and I was hoping Doake's name or ghost would pop up in the end. BUT I got the closure I needed.
Flag
OK, I finally caught up with all my DVR'd episodes of Dexter from episode 6 to the finale. My husband had watched it previously but wouldn't clue me in. I'm a sucker for happy endings, but I knew I wasn't getting one. Yes, the ending was disappointing and the way Deb died was despicable. I was hoping that they would do a side by side of Dexter heading into the hurricane slow-mo, and flash forward to Deb's future, being an awesome Police officer, married to Quinn (2 dysfunctionals made for each other), having kids, having a relationship with Harrison and Hannah, looking out for Astrid and Cody and just having the life that Dexter never thought he could have or deserved. Deb's best revenge was to be normal. But hey, I'm just a fan.
Flag
I think it's BS that a happy ending was too predictable because there was never a happy ending in any season of Dexter. I was really hoping the end of Dexter would be prison or escaping for his life. There were pros and cons but some things I can' get over.. A US Marshall not knowing a notorious killer with his face plastered everyone on the news is one of them. Pawning Harrison on Hannah was so terrible.. The finale just made me feel empty but I guess that was the point they wanted to make.
Flag
Season three ends on a high note with his wedding. I think the real reason a happy ending wouldn't have been shallow or predictable is because punishing the monster IS the ultimate cliche. Whether the monster is the protagonist or antagonist, the monster almost always gets punished, if not by an external force, then by an internal one. It's a common narrative designed to comfort the audience by reassuring them that their puerile faith in the good nature of humanity is defensible by reestablishing the balance and order in the fictional world.

I think it would have been much more fulfilling to continue to watch Dexter live by his own code because it is what gives order to his world. That is all morality ever is. We evolved empathy and sympathy for survival and proliferation of our genes. We developed concepts of right and wrong based upon those feelings in order to create order because it suits us, it makes life easier. It is all selfish in nature. So why should Dexter be punished?
Flag

After all these years, parting with Dexter was painstaking. Even though the last few seasons haven’t fared well, to say the least, it’s always difficult to part with a character as unique as that of Dexter’s. So I sat down yesterday with an open mind, to watch the last episode of Dexter that I would ever see. I have to admit, I was disappointed. Midst the tears streaming down my face, while Deb died and Dexter parted with Hannah and Harrison, I couldn’t help but wonder how pointless and more so depressing the ending was. Debra dying was a huge blow, but Dexter carrying her body in the middle of the storm and dumping in the ocean made no sense WHATSOEVER. It’s a storm people, not a everyone-goes-blind day. I felt it was rather disrespectful to the character, unjust even. Debra was the nicest main character the show ever had albeit she had her flaws. She deserved at least a proper burial, instead of being dumped into the ocean like another one of Dexter’s evil victims. I am many things, of which one is a die heart romantic. So here’s my question, WHY LEAVE HANNAH? I thought we had already established early in the episode that Dexter found Hannah love more compelling than the urge to kill, SO WHY LEAVE WHEN YOU CAN REDEAM ( to whatever extend that’s possible given Dexter’s case) YOURSELF BY BEING WITH HER? That part of the ending was all face palm to me. He left Harrison practically an orphan. His mother’s dead and father is sort-of dead, Hannah isn’t even a legal guardian, rather is a wanted fugitive, so how exactly is that going to work?
All in all, a very disappointing finale. And to all the people out there, claiming that people who didn’t like the finale didn’t really “Get it” well friends, you people are in Denial. I get that he is essentially a serial killer, and the writers and producers have been hinting from the start, that the ending isn’t gonna be pretty because of that very fact. I personally find that reason bull. And come on you have admit, Dexter a lumberjack. Nada. No can do. The only way the ending could have been any worse is if Ghost Harry had made an appearance on the boat, while Dexter was busy depositing his sister to the bottom of the ocean (titanic, anyone?) and Storming towards his death (see what I did there), going all WTF you doing son? POINT BEING, it didn’t have to be all that depressing, IT DIDN’T.

More+
Flag
People, including the reviewer, are really an unhappy bunch....It's a "cool thing" these days to say that "I didn't watch xxx show after season 2"..or "after season 3 everything was crap"....
Well, I loved the show, with all its ups and downs, and I found the "ups" much more powerful than the occasional "downs"...

And ppl crying over Dexter killing Hannah's dad -- Dexter is not Jesus.. He is a serial killer who has been instilled with a mental block known as Harry's code...But he is still a serial killer, and when things go averse, he is going to act as per his true nature... I don't see why this has surprised so many ppl. There is no good serial killer and bad serial killer..This criticism has always baffled me.. I mean...really??
Flag
What a crap ending.
Flag
I blame Showtime for starting the final season of Dexter less than 6 months after the last season ended...
Flag
Ultimately, I felt the Dexter finale was unresolved. The whole thing was just left in the air for me. It wasn't a great series ender...it was just a season ender. Things need to be wrapped up.
Flag
This finale was as awkward and clumsy with the camera work, the pacing, and the acting as the entire season. It distracted people from that with what? Some emotional moments....but those depended heavily due to buildup hinged on guess what: flashbacks! To when the show as actually good -_-....which made me sad, but not the way it was intended. I was sad because I realized this show died many episodes ago. Season 7 gave this show an opportunity to end with a bang. It would be one thing if it just didn't go the way I like..but this was just nonsensical writing style for anybody. A final season is like the final paragraph of an essay: it sums up what this show is about, ties off any loose ends, paper/show starts strong, ends strong if not stronger, draws straws strength from the season. Each season is its own paper, the last episodes does what I outlined above only that episode draws from the season which the season draws from the show. Simple--this is just simply the best and most effective way to do do any work whatever it is. So that said...my issues are summed up in 2 points:

1. Pointless addage: Vogal dead, Masuka's daughter--not even mentioned, Joey and that other bitch (so lackluster can't even remember her name)..broken up. Dexter's "flame" killed, Zack killed, most of the time chasing the brain surgeon--wrong guy. Everybody who was supposed to have focus on by law of common sense--those who have survived the duration of the entire series. Seriously neglected. Besides being a lazy douche, mustache guy with hat and colored shirt never does shit. Elway. Guy investigating Hanna.

2. Boring as hell, just dull. Saxon was laughable, the least intimidating...Trevor of season 6 was more intimidating! Doakes was! Just lame, most of the time it was all pointless talk. It is human to err..but must EVERYBODY be this dumb? More not happening, Dexter in front of computer, the tread mill. More not happening. Joey kissing Jaime (ha! Just took me seeing Joey's crybaby bitch face to remember her non-essential ass being kissed and then dumped) Lame, lame, lamer. More boring.

Because of this, the characters' souls began to slowly decay because they were even acting as if they didn't know how they were supposed to act anymore. So in short why did the finale failwd for me:

1. Still fucking boring. Some moments of goodness. The pen. Very short. Everything was predictable just like the whole show. I mean everything, the wrong brain surgeon, who the surgeon would be, Zack's death (who I cared about more than Deb), Dexter's decision to pass on Sax and Deb being shot. Predictable to a boring fucking "T-T".

2. Nobody who died, or put themselves in exile and grew a beard...made me feel anything...because I no longer cared about anything. I just wanted it over. I watched to have something to watch. It is like a close family member dying compared to some guy in New Zealand you didn't know. Now make it a guy who died being stupid. Now make it a guy who you barely know, but you can't stand, who died stupidly. That is how I felt when Deb died. She was already dead to me. "Good", I thought, "Kill the rest please--at least make me laugh". And Dexter was a lost soul 1/4rth of a way through the season...and not in a remotely entertaining manner. Seriously nobody has made me feel the most as when Rita died. I felt more than this when Dexter's first apprentice the mexican guy died, I felt more when Doakes died, Dexter's brother, Dexter's father, Doakes, La Guerta, Lumen(!), the black guys, those pore hookers...I'm not kidding or trying to be funny. I really felt more when they died than Deb or Dexter's "punishment". I no longer cared for these souless carbon copies covered in bad acting and and forced into random unconvincing roles; please kill them all.

3. Profoundly stupid things: (reference to before) Dexter's unconvincing "epiphany" that caused him to not kill the guy who killed his "mother" and threatened to kill everyone he loved. Now then...no Ashtor and Cody at all, no penalty or heat for Dexter, Deb died in a boring manner, Dexter is driving the car he already gave to Ashtor, Dexter walks into a hospital in murder gear..LOOKING like a murderer after just murdering somebody, waltz into his sister's room...SLOWLY kills her unoticed...still in murder gear wheels her out of the room past everybody, puts her in a boat in front of everybody, drives into storm, doesn't die. Everything about Hanna, why Dexter loves her, why she doesn't disguise herself, why she gives any real information when she goes to the hospital, how Dexter or anyone trusts her, how she didn't turn on them...ugh. Oh, and how Dexter thought it would work out--even if he stayed around. He may be able to hide his murders--(what happened to that box Laguerta had of evidence? Oh well)--but what about her? She is wanted, papers, news, one day Harrison may ask: why did we abruptly move to Argentina? One day he is going to find out--probably in the worse of ways. So to make that even worse he runs away and leaves his kid. Because that's punishment. If I knew this person in real life I would pay somebody to kill this pussy.

4. This can be in number 3 actually: The writers and producers defend this garbage and say it was smart, original, well-planned and the best way to end this show that had so much potential. How blind can you be?

5. One more thing...Zack's dad? What happened to him? This is why you don't introduce characters in the final season unless you absolutely fucking have to! Clear purpose that adds to the others, not take away pointlessly and never give shit back. It was like they couldn't make up their minds how they wanted to go. Maybe Zack originally was supposed to replace a dead Dex...I don't know, no longer care. Can't even muster the energy to be disappointed anymore--many of my shows are letting me down. But this was even worse than Season 6 of Supernatural (when I stopped watching).

More+
Flag
Yea the Dexter series finale was awful.
Flag
I can't believe deb died like that, I wanted her to have a happy ending and poor harrison, he lost his whole family and was left with a fugitive ex killer. I really wanted for dexter and deb to died together it would had more meaning and LOST was awesome if you didn't understand the finale it's not the show's fault. :P
Flag
I don't see why everyone is bashing this series or the finale. It didn't go your way, or the way you thought it might, too bad, so sad. In the end, things fell apart for Dexter and maybe Deb got what she thought she deserved. The whole series was about him becoming more human, not better at being a monster with no emotions. And what do humans do? Make mistakes. That's why things ended the way they did. I don't see what's so far fetched about the hurricane either. If people are panicking or trying to prep for a hurricane, they probably wouldn't notice someone walking about with someone else on a stretcher, or at least think nothing of it. Have you been to a hospital lately? You can go in there on a perfect day and people won't notice what you are doing lol. And how can bodies wash ashore? Pretty sure this was covered in the second season that he now drops them in the Gulf Stream or North Atlantic Current, whichever one carries the bodies away from the dumping site, so no they wouldn't wash ashore. Nothing is worse than "Lost" whether it be the show or the finale, so Bloodangel you're wrong lol. It is disappointing that Dexter is now alone, fighting his demons that he created along the way. But it's good to know he's alive, cause honestly what did he do that was wrong? He killed murderers with definite proof of their crimes. I would do the same thing if I could figure out how to go unnoticed, who wouldn't? But at least his son is going to live well, even if it's with another serial killer, but one that was just as reformed as Dexter and will not harm Harrison in any way. Good ending to a Great series.
More+
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
don't insult other shows just to make your point "I don't see why everyone is bashing this series or the finale. It didn't go your way, or the way you thought it might, too bad, so sad" you said yourself
Flag
No, dude. That finale was atrocious and quite frankly the whole season was one big mess. So many things that contradicted itself during the season, especially the whole "he was becoming more human" and it just went full circle on "I'm a monster.
Flag
Finally!! A Show That Has A Worse Finale Than Lost
Flag
I am still mad at how bad they messed up this final season and finale. I have read the best fan endings and I had a few pretty good ideas myself that would of been so much better than the dreck we got. Such a bummer!!
Flag
I have to disagree with you the 4th season was the best dexter season. I have loved dexter from start to finish apart from the penultimate episode that really annoyed me him not killing Saxon was out of character.

I thought dexter living was a good idea I didn't want a happy ending yet u didn't want him too die so it worked well he gives himself the ultimate punishment isolation killing himself would've been the easy way out I think Dexter being "stripped away" in the final scene shows his emotions came from his relationship with deb and with her death which was technically his fault he realises he's a monster, he accepts the horrible things he's done as he states he destroys lives this is also displayed when the bay harbour butcher case opens and all the family's have lost love ones due to Dexter.

I loved the finale if you ignore all the stupiditys (come on its a tv show) it is in my opinion a very good finale I just really had wished they had introduced Saxon earlier rather than introducing so many pointless plot points which made the series seem rushed, it felt like 3 or 4 seasons plans crammed into 1. Dexter is my all time favourite tv show.
More+
Flag
The 'families with lost loved ones' During the Bay Harbor Butcher story line didn't loose their loved ones to Dexter in most cases. There was one woman who admitted she was in love with one of them despite knowing he was a bad man. Most of those people were just random unrelated people with missing loved ones looking for answers, who got their hopes up for closure. People go missing all the time.

I think a happy ending would have fit the narrative of the early GOOD seasons very well. This isn't about right and wrong, sins and redemption; this is about one man and what he wants, and he just so happens to be a serial killer. Everything didn't have to go so wrong, the plot holes in the final season are proof enough that the idiot writers were forcing a bad ending to teach a ham handed 'moral of the story' lesson, because god forbid people recognize that Dexter's darkness is in all of us, that Monsters don't always get punished, and that society is just a collection of human will and social contructs... there is no 'justice' outside of our own desire to create order in the world, and that desire only exists to SERVE US. The series started as something truly daring that shined light on a part of us so many pretend isn't there. It ended with shallow, poorly constructed moral narratives that reinforce the norm, as though attempting to restore that false sense of order and moral absolutes to the world of Dexter. How pathetic.
More +
Flag
I thought it was fitting: what could be the biggest punishment for a serial killer than isolate himself from his intended targets.

Deb never got the chance to fix what she did, the police never caught her brother, but he never got to be free.
Flag
Once again Dexter's mercy cost someone their life. Over and over again he never learned and someone died, often someone close to him.

First it was Trinity, he let him live and Rita died. Then it was Marshall, he let him go and he killed more people. Not to mention that if he had killed him when he had the chance Debra would never have walked in on Dexter finally killing him, discovered who he was, and would likely have not ended up having to kill Laguerta. Finally we have Saxon, he let him live and Debra died along with his dreams of a happy life with Hannah and Harrison.

Still, despite that, it was a great series. As far as I remember Dexter was a the first show to have a protagonist who was so morally ambiguous which many shows tend to have now. Now that it is gone it will be missed. Maybe I'll go back and read the book series which took different paths. Of course when I picture the characters as I read they'll have the faces of Hall and the rest of the cast.

But is this the end really? Dexter is still out there. Maybe a threat could arise, maybe one that threatens Harrison or Hannah, and he is forced to allow the Dark Passenger to take hold again with Deb as the new Harry. Maybe one day a movie could bring a whole new life to the story.

One beat of the ending I would have liked was rather than have him blankly stare out at the camera in that cabin, it would have been more fitting if he walked over to an air conditioner, opened it up, and pulled out a wooden slide box, showing that he is still doing what Harry taught him.
More+
Flag
I like your final point but I think that's the point he's done with killing and human interaction that's his self-imposed punishment.
Flag
Why should he be punished?
Flag
Lithgow season lost me as far the plausibility as all the ridiculous happy family shots when Dexter was watching but Lithgow treating the family like a drunken ahole later on in other family reveals. Uh, who lovingly hugs their dad when they fear him especially when they don't expect anyone to be watching?
And of course the reality of Dexter's job and the detective unit was just nutty after a few seasons anyway. With the body counts and the repeated number of serial killers in that area, the FBI would've taken over by now. But they managed to get by with a handful of seemingly very well paid detectives and forensic guys. Batista buys a bar, Deb has a sweet beach house and Dexter can afford a 20 hour a day nanny and have ridiculous amounts of freedom from his job at any time to get his dirty work done.
Flag
Dexter was a great show. I've watched all eight seasons and enjoyed each one of them. Of course, sometimes it would be a bit off and dumb, but always worth it.
This last episode reflected this entire last season and mounted up to absolutely nothing. As it was commented, it lacked weight. I mean, it was just another plain episode! Debra DIED and I did not feel anything because the show did not let me. She was my favorite character!
We didn't need to watch the eleven previous episodes to enjoy this one, it seemed to be a totally different season!
If Debra really needed to die, make it something important!
Dexter could has done so many great episodes for these years, the last one could have been so much better...
Flag
In my opinion, this season ruined what little hope was left from the previous season, where everything seemed at least A LITTLE BIT back on track. - But dumping the most important person in his life, his beloved sister, where he sank the bodies of all the evildoers? - The old routine with "Haha, I'm not really gone! I've become a lumberjack (and I'm okay :D )!"? - All the completely meaningless storylines? - COME ON!
I myself am hoping for a variation of this year's most compelling idiotic treat SHARKNADO, with Dexter switching from knife to axe: DEADBODYNADO - LUMBERDEX'S RETURN. Ugh!
(And, on another note: what gave away that Dexter would survive was his always inherent voice-over in the off. I know it has been also used differently, but at least I think that was some kind of evidence that Flannel Man would live.
(Still, I must admit that I would turn into a new take on the morally twisted serial killer from the woods - with a new team of producers and writers! ;) - I am a sucker for trash, sometimes. :) )
Hey, at least they gave us two or three good seasons. (And thank you Jennifer and Michael! - Not that you would ever read this. ;) )
More+
Flag
"Deb was the character who grew the most during the series' run, and she was the true heart and soul of the series." seriously her abrupt and off-screen death sucked so much.
Flag
I kind of thought Deb would die a few episodes back.....but didn't think it would be in this dumb way.... And frankly I would have rather had her happily engaged to Quinn than to have her die like this......
I can also understand that Dexter actually tried to kill himself by steering his boat into the storm, because of the guilt he was carrying....but since he didn't die, he decided to punish himself by isolating himself from the people he loves the most and living his life doing something so totally different than from what he was....
I love Dexter, and despite many many holes in plot lines over the past 8 seasons....and the fact that he is a serial killer (who is still the HERO of the show)....I TRULY wanted him to have a happy ending with Hannah.....which the idiot would have had, had he killed Saxon either before he got to Vogel, or while he had him on his kill table.....really, was that too much to ask for???
Flag
What a disappointing finale ... kind of sad they new this was going to end here and now and that is all they have come up with ... if I compare that to Breaking Bad which is truly compelling ... its just lightyears apart ...
Flag
There are two things that keep popping up around my head:
1- Debra spend the whole last episode in bed, unconscious.
2- Cristina Kirchner, our President in Argentina must have got control of the show to use it for a tourism marketing campaign (which may prove effective), and ruin the last season for us ordinary viewers.
Goodbye Dexter, I hope you´ll get happy chopping trees. No very environmental.
Flag
I'm in the camp which thinks the last season of Dexter was unbelievably bad and a slap in the face to the fans who had invested in the core characters for 7 seasons.

The writing was the reason the last season delved into daytime TV soap opera territory. Soap operas are weak because writers have no time to create complex story lines and rich characters.

I mentioned in a previous post the Dexter writers were urged (forced) by Showtime to deliver the last season of Dexter much earlier than usual to provide an advertising medium for the new Ray Donovan show.

Every season of Dexter prior to the last season premiered the last week of September or the first week of October.

The last season of Dexter released the last week of June 2013. This is three critical months the writers didn't get to relax, think, ponder, imagine and create deep and rich story lines for the existing characters.

Yesterday afternoon and evening I had 3 hours free and made a delicious sit down dinner for my family. I had the time to go to two different organic produce stands and select the best ingredients. We sat down in an unhurried fashion and greatly enjoyed the food and each other's company.

If I had only a half hour we would have had frozen pizza. Season 8 was the frozen pizza season. Too bad we got served frozen pizza for our last meal with Dexter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Dexter_episodes

More+
Flag
I'm glad you said the end of season 2, because season 2 was the last great Dexter season, and all others after it have been very, very poor by comparison.
Flag
We haven't got the chance to hear Masuka's irritate laugh once more :(
Flag
I really loved the entire episode:
- I loved the way Dexter kills that motherfucker Saxon in front of the camera…
- I loved the reaction of Quinn and Batista when they were watching the tape (they acepted Saxon deserves to die)…
- I loved that Dexter became totally human with his sister's death…
- I loved the way he took an emotional decision , for once in his life...
- I loved the Obelisk scene …
- and I loved Dexter survived :D
Flag
This review totally nailed it. What a load of wasted potential this show became. And this episode was a mess in just about every way.
Flag
Staff
That ending scene with the boat vs. hurricane would have made the creators of SHARKNADO proud.
Flag
The series was never as witty nor did it take any risks. I grade it on a curve and its competition is not of the likes of "Breaking Bad" but rather .. I don't know .. Big Brother maybe.
Flag
Well I think it did take risks and did have good viewing value it's first 4 seasons. Since then it tapered off and what a terrible last season, every dollar anyone involved with Dexter made this season should go to charity period. Need to cleanse the air of this stench
Flag
It wasn't bad but I would have preferred it to play out differently. Psychotic guy's death was a bit of an anti climax and the show ended with me feeling like another 5 minutes of the show was missing. I thought she did tranq him, she told him he'd wake up irritated in 2 hours or something.
Flag
I read an interview with Scott Buck head writer for Dexter. Without condemning Showtime or the producers he did admit the Dexter team was urged to release season 8 much earlier than was usual and immediately after season 7. Showtime wanted the last season of Dexter to coincide with their new show Ray Donovan so they could promote it in the Dexter commercials.

Buck hinted that the writing benefits from the writers having free time and space for creative ideas to emerge and with tight time deadlines this was not possible.

This last season of Dexter will be taught in screenwriting classes for years to come as a cautionary tale of exactly what not to do. It is simple to state the rules but obviously hard to execute when under time pressures to keep the story moving forward.

The rules for ending a beloved series:

1. Don't introduce any new characters - Viewers love the existing characters. Have you ever made plans to see an old friend you haven't seen for a long time? You think about how great it will be, talking about your history together and sharing that special bond. Now remember a time when you were looking forward to seeing the old friend and the old friend says "Hope you don't mind but I thought it would be fun for us if I brought my new friend along with us to hang out." Instead of immediately sinking into your old relationship and sharing openly you are constantly thinking "Why is the new friend here? - This totally sucks".

2. Go much deeper with the existing characters - The fact the writers didn't use Batista 10 times more than they did in the final season is the biggest crime in my opinion. We saw a hint of how great the final season could have been in the last episode if Batista took center stage in the final season. Batista's ex wife was murdered and he loves Deb and Dexter. Do we need anymore dramatic tension than this? Following this story line would also allow us to dig deeper into Matsuka. Matsuka and Batista could have shown their dramatic chops and even pulling in Quinn would have increased the dramatic tension since Quinn loves Deb. It would have been beautiful.

3. Don't waste our time - Below is a list of all the meaningless characters who completely wasted our time and essentially ruined the last season of Dexter. Who is going to buy the extra special box set of Dexter to hear the insights of these characters?

1. Harrison
2. Hannah
3. Jamie Batista (Baby Sitter) - Angel Batista's sister
4. Jacob Elway (Deb's Private Detective Boss)
5. Evelyn Vogel (Dexter's doctor from the past)
6. US Marshal Max Clayton
7. Hannah's rich husband who she killed.
8. The female black detective who Quinn was competing with for Sergeant.
9. Zach Hamilton - Dexter's protege

Summary

When it is not possible for whatever reason to craft and create great scenes of dramatic tension with existing characters the easiest thing to do is create a new character. New characters have no rules and writers are free to use the characters to further the story, patch up holes and fill time. The writers get themselves out of a box but us as viewers wanted more than anything to see Dexter in an ever closing box with the sides of the box formed by the characters we have grown to love and admire over the years.

Up until the last season it made sense to add a new character or two to the cast but in the last season the only thing that made sense was to shrink the cast to bare minimum. We as viewers should have never seen a face we didn't already know and neither should have Dexter.

If Showtime had the guts and determination they should redo the final season following the guidelines above. It would give Dexter the legacy it deserves.

More+
Flag
OMG! I couldn't have said it better myself. I would love if they created an alternate ending. We should sign a petition or something. I just finished season 8 last night and it left me with a bitter taste in my mouth. Your 3 points are a perfect analysis of the show. So many pointless characters brought in with no support in the plot. I would love if they took your advice but sadly I think it's gone for good =(
Flag
Well said. You must be in screen writing school, or graduate of one. the Dexter staff could have used your input. Am suprised you forgot to mention Nikki (Matsuka daughter) even that guy that was the drug dealer? In ep. 1. (I confess I missed the first ep of this season and will NOT be trying to find it for later viewing! LOL
Flag
Staff
Tremendous comment! Thanks for the insights.
Flag
EXCELLENT observations, dbt123. If Scott Buck knew how to read, you should send him your thoughts.

Obviously, he knows neither how to read (i.e., the plotlines of past seasons) or write (i.e., this season).

More good snark:

http://thelma.com/2013/09/24/disappointing-dexter/

Thank you for taking the time to flesh out what so many of us, okay just me, can only spit out in expletives.
Flag
The Thelma write up well worth reading. It's spot on. Just like me the writer had zero expectations for the finale and was STILL DISAPPOINTED! LOL
Flag
Loved the sarcasm which is what that Buck dude deserves for his lame excuses...
Flag
Thank you. I never comment on TV stuff but I'm glad there is a forum to vent frustrations. Dexter had so much potential to end in a stellar fashion like Breaking Bad is doing.
Flag
Watched for the past 8 years and have to say the final season was pretty disappointing, including the finale. The finale just seemed poorly thought-out, slapped together and given to some unfortunate director to make it work. 4/10
Flag
people nowdays expect too much from the writers of shows and are never satisfied
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
I am sorry but i do not agree with you - I think people are looking for the same thing they always looked for:
- a main character to relate to (or at least sympathy with), that preferably undergoes some change and growth as the story unfolds.
- some good old fashioned entertainment to pass the time, with maybe a tad of added value or some point too it all.
- finally and above all, the story has to make sense and the characters actions must be believable, even if based on logic that exists only in the confines of the story world (i.e magic, superpowers, hi-tech gadgets etc.).
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members