We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

A Dexter Community
Showtime (ended 2013)

Dexter fans, Michael C. Hall feels your pain.

In a recent interview with The Daily Beast, the actor admitted that the series finale left more than a little to be desired. "Liked it? I don't think I even watched it," Hall said.

After eight seasons of watching Dexter battle with his Dark Passenger, the end of the serial killer drama saw its titular hero transformed—into a lumberjack! "I thought it was narratively satisfying—but it was not so savory," Hall said of the episode, which aired in September.

"I think the show had lost a certain amount of torque," he continued. "Just inherently because of how long we'd done it, because of the storytelling capital we'd spent, because our writers may have been gassed. Maybe some people wanted a more satisfying — maybe they wanted a happy ending for him, either a happy ending or a more definitive sense of closure. They wanted him to die or something, but I think the fact that he's sort of exiled in a prison of his own making is, for my money, pretty fitting."

However, Hall also admitted to IGN last week that he still has his reservations about Dexter's survival. "Sometimes I wish he'd offed himself, wish he'd died, wish Deb had shot him in that train compartment—of course, that would have made an eighth season difficult to do," he noted.

94 Comments
Comments (98)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I find that the finale wrapped the series up in an absolutely fantastic way, just as Michael C. Hall said, I found it extremely gratifying to see Dexter survive, never get caught, and just have to live with what he's done,(whether he cares or not) and it made 100% sense from a storytelling stand point of him leaving Harrison with Hannah in the way that he did, maybe the final shot of him just sitting there could have been made better you say? I found it to be an absolutely compelling way to end it. 5/5 stars on the finale
Flag
Idea! New Show! "Dexter Rewind" Season opens when Trinity was about to jump. Dexter does nothing. We start a whole new set of Dexter episodes from that point, Trinity dies, Rita lives, 8 new seasons... Boom! What do think writers??
Flag
Honestly, I didn't really care what happened to Dexter in the end. The part that crushed me was Deb's death. I bawled my eyes out for hours. She was my favourite character the whole way through.
Flag
I would have been satisfied if they would have ended it on the shot of the boat debris. The rest just seemed like an unneccessary tack-on.
Flag
Misleading headline, he actually says the ending was correct, which it was. There are problems with the execution, but that ending is better than people give it credit for.
Flag
Agreed from what i remember i was engaged in it the whole episode. In an earlier season Deborah said if she ended up brain dead shed want Dex to end it. I don't know if it was just me but i thought the lost at the end suggested he was ready to start killing again. We are in the minority though
Flag
I asked myself, is he now Wolverine?
Flag
Debra shoot Dexter in the container and all episode after that are a dream of Dexter, in coma, in a Hospital.
Flag
This show was a mess after the season with the serial killer Trinity. Good ending would have been Deb kills Dexter and raises Harrison . Then for the final scene they should have done a 10 years later ..harrison is now in his teens , he is in a forest and has just killed a small animal and suddenly Dexter appears to him (just like Harry) and passes on the rules Harry had taught him. Fitting ending but of course the writers who do this for a living came up with a lumberjack idea...!
Flag
Season 5, the one after Trinity, was hands-down my favourite season ever. I agree it started to lose it after that but Season 5 was amazing, way better than Trinity! It is the only season I have rewatched (though I am aware I am in the minority here since everyone else seems to have loved the Trinity one...i thought it was just ok)
Flag
IF Deb had shot him in the shipping container instead of LaGuerta, they could have done a season with Dexter being to Deb as Harry was to Dexter. Might have actually been interesting.
Flag
At least it didn't end with Dexter and Deb on honeymoon. Small mercies
Flag
Hello!

Did they not learn anything from the lame Sopranos ending? We fans hate ambiguity. We need definitive closure. I would have liked to have seen Dexter either committing suicide by his own hand, or suicide by cop after his Dark Passenger becomes too much of a burden.

With Deb dead, and the rest of his family gone, there was no one left that could anchor him to the world as a whole person. Instead, we get a split-second glare before cut to black. Yup. Sopranos all over again. Pshhh.
Flag
I didn't mind the Sopranos' ending. I liked Tony, and am glad he lived because the show was good right up to the end.

I didn't like Dexter, and wanted to see him dead, because the show got to be shit at the end and he deserved to pay for what the writers did to Deb.
Flag
I'm pretty sure Tony Soprano died in that last scene
Flag
Who cares, everything about this show was bad after season 4.
Flag
True. But we loyal fans stuck it out, hoping to see Dexter dead.
Flag
shocker.
deb should have shot him season 7. the end.
Flag
Yes, please.
Flag
It was not an entirely bad season, but it left a lot to be desired. I'm almost at the end of my newest novel, and I like to learn from stuff like this. I also thought The Amazing Spiderman II would have gotten much better reviews if it hadn't tanked the ending. The one most important thing about superheroes is that they have to win most of the time, because as vigilantes, they are wrong in the first place, so their success is what justifies their existence. We all know if there were a real Batman, he wouldn't last two whole days before somebody killed him or locked his ass up in a straight-jacket. I think the biggest problem with Dexter's ending was that Charlotte Rampling's character was way more interesting than her long lost dipshit son, and they tried one too many twists. The whole Lumberjack thing wasn't the problem, and if they'd done a better job of getting our anti-hero there it would have been better accepted.
Flag
Eh, fair enough. It did suck quite hard, but I mildly wonder if he'd said any of this before it aired, or at least, didn't give it the thumbs up beforehand. I remember Matthew Fox saying the ending to Lost "...Just felt right..." What was he gonna say, the truth? Obviously, he didn't.
Flag
Matthew Fox is an idiot.
Flag
Probably. I try not to follow actors outside of w/e show or movie. It's like taking an interest in a chef outside of work because their steak was good...or terrible. They're all just people, and yeah, often idiots. My wife was disappointed to find out the guy from Twilight was an idiot. She knew...it just saddened her to know.

Still, though, it was a good decision for Fox to lie, especially if he ever wanted to work again. Maybe he was so stupid that he actually loved that ending, but again, it's hard to judge (or care) what an actor feels about their job or the work they're doing when a camera's in front of them.

Ian Zierling (blonde dude from the original 90210): "Ye...ah, Sharknado is a wonderful movie. This is the kind of work I'd dreamed I'd be doing in the future..."
Flag
Yeah.
Flag
I hated that Deb died. I think if it was reversed, it would have been better. Also, the exile view seems like B.S. To me it is like he ran away. Cowardly in my opinion.
Flag
Of course, you're 100% right that Deb should have lived, and Dexter die. Did you watch Big Love? Most satisfying ending.

Dexter had a crap finale. No question.
Flag
Nope. He drove that boat of his right into the storm to do the right thing and it wasn't his fault he survived. Cowardly, I think not.
Flag
Well, he did survive. I think after all Hannah and Deb went through for him he could of at least met Hannah in Argentina.
Flag
It was the fault of the idiot writers that he survived.

Moronic writers, I think yes.
Flag
Actually I could of been easily satisfied with that, his boat lost in a huge storm but we never know if the serial killer died or is still out there, makes me think of Pixies "Wave of mutilation". Didn't need some lumberjack Dex, I mean did he wake up on a Miami beach and hitch or he get sucked up in tornado like Dorothy and dumped in logger country and why not a ice crab fisherman?
Flag
At least you got some notion that Hannah and Harrison were...going to be okay? Maybe? But even after that abysmal ending with Dex, I would have been happy to see into the lives of Hannah, Harrison, Angel, Jamie, Quinn, Masuka, etc. and see if his "sacrifice" was really worth it.
Flag
Yes, but who cared. I didn't care that his mamma got her throat slit, she was a useless ancillary character that they need not have inserted. There was enough going on with the other characters - remember Angel? - and it would have been nice to sum them all up in the end, kill Dexter in the worst way possible, and allow Deb to move on.

It was a crap finale. No question.

Almost forgot, the shoehorning of Rampling was bad, but not even one tenth as bad as the suppository of Maskua's daughter.

The last season was crap. No question.
Flag
I noticed that Hall doesn't actually say Dexter's finale is bad or that he disliked it, but the words seem carefully chosen so that he's not defending it, either.

Hall is promoting his new show. It's probably wise to concede when asked that Dexter's ending was disliked by many fans, before expecting them to trust him saying that his new series is worth watching.
Flag
Hall is promoting his new show.

Ah, didn't realize. I was having too much fun remembering how bad the last episode of the steaming pile of the last season of this POS show was.
Flag
Good thought, dude. You get a thumbs up.
Flag
He's not wrong. The show's legacy would've been much more withstanding had the series ended with Season 7 and Deb had either shot Dexter instead of, or after Laguarta and left it at that. The eighth season fell off somewhere around the halfway mark.
Flag
Frankly, who cares anymore. If anything, I would expect MC Hall to say nothing on the topic esp. since he must have been a producer-ish of some sort by the time the show got to its (terrible) 6th and later seasons so if he didn;t do enough to make the show better then, not sure what good it does to talk now.
As a fan, I disliked the finale/ending itself a lot less than the torture that was season 6 and the subpar second half of the final season. That is what was bad. Dexter living or not as a lumberjack or whatever is less of an issue to me at least.
Flag
Yeah, I don't get people who say the final season was bad. Did they even see season six?
Flag
Indeed.... So bad I can't bear Colin Hanks even in Fargo as I still have flashes back to Dexter06... Ugh!
Flag
I agree, but you should watch The Good Guys, because that's the role he was made for.
Flag
Didn't we already talk about this enough last September? Apparently not! It's rehash time.

Here's the thing: TV series are just stories, fairy tales with moving pictures. There can only be one ending to finish a story, so there will always be people who are disappointed with it. That's why I wasn't completely let down by Dexter's finale. It was an ending among many options. What matters more is the journey, what came before the end. Whatever the end might be to a story, what makes it matter is how the plot builds up to it. And that's the part that bothered me about the final season of Dexter; the fact that it fit so poorly together with previous seasons. It was the very last season of Dexter, and despite that, 12 episodes were wasted on side stories that were unnecessary, Dex and Deb behaved in ways that were so uncharacteristic of them, and the intensity of the story did in no way match up to previous seasons. The season simply didn't do justice to the previous seven. So when the end came, I didn't really care any more what it would be. I felt that whatever the ending - after all there had to be one - it would still fall flat. Even if the finale had been fantastic, satisfying most, it would not have made up for how they built up to it.

Related to this: A lot of people didn't like the whole last season of Dexter. But it looks like the last season of Californication which is currently airing might present a much larger drop in quality compared to its previous seasons. It really is that bad.
More+
Flag
I would agree with this, but not the ending of Lost, because it ruined the journey you speak of and nothing that happened before mattered a whit after that ending--but at least now we absolutely know what happens to us all when we die, because they said so.
Flag
I'm not sure you understood the Lost ending Muderboy.
Flag
Good
Flag
Nah he's right.
And nothing about his comment says he didn't understand it.
We don't know what happens in The end-END, but yeah, he meant what happens Right after we die - which we saw in Lost.
In any case, even if he didn't get it - I did.
And it's not that I can't appreciate ambiguity or draw my own conclusions, Lost's problem was that it contradicted itself so much, more than any other show I've ever seen.
Any show must operate within whatever rules it has chosen to establish - Lost handled That part Terribly!
And that's especially amusing, but ever worse of a blunder, considering the Lost Universe made a big point in establishing those very rules. But then they just changed them whenever they saw fit.
Lost have been praised for it's wonderful character-development, to which I would Mostly agree - but the thing is, when you can reshape the world around the character as opposed to vice versa - then creating beautiful, powerful and moving scenes isn't that hard at all actually, but something most writers could do - professionals and amateurs alike.

You just start at the scene you wish to make and work your way backwards. That's not good storyTelling, but does indeed make for a good scene.

"Not Penny's boat"(for instance)One of my favourite scenes,
but a terrible part of the overarching story when you look at the bigger picture. Tell me, why Did Charlie have to die..?
More +
Flag
I stand by my comment and I'm not going to debate any of your views because they've got nothing to do with it. I don't disagree that Lost had problems.
Flag
Because he didn't like it he didn't get it..really..?
I understood Lost better than anyone I know.
After each episode I immediately went to message boards to discuss and exchange theories. I studied the "rules and laws" of Lost intently, and they really collapsed under their own weight.
The characters were(many of them)wonderful, it had some of the best story lines and most beautiful scenes ever.
But the Finale(and imo entire final season) really took away soooo much of the journey before it.
They destroyed John Locke(one of my fave characters ever)and tainted his legacy, diminished Charlie's sacrifice(basically made it pointlesss) and turned one of the most endearing, interesting, and important characters - Desmond, into a clueless puppet.
And while I enjoyed much of the ride, what I take with me from Lost is more or less solely Michael Emerson, who I now see as the best thing the show had to offer.
Flag
No, because I'm not convinced he understood it. The ending didn't absolutely tell us what happens to us all when we die, and it didn't make everything that happened before it not matter anymore. Many things went wrong by the end of Lost but Muderboy's comment were off base.
Flag
Totally agree. The ending of Dexter doesn't change the fact that I still absolutely loved the series for most of its run, and would rate it as one of my favourites of all time. I felt the last season held a lot of potential, at least up until the fourth episode which ended with Deb driving her and Dexter into a lake (I would have loved that as an ending), but like you and others have said, a lot of time was 'wasted on side stories that were unnecessary' and new characters that were poorly developed. But again, as you said, it is what it is, and there's no point trying to change this.

Re Californication, it's hard to believe that I considered the series one of television's most underrated. The first three maybe four seasons were great, but with each passing season it's gotten progressively worse and worse to the point I can barely remember what I ever liked about the series (a problem I never faced with Dexter). The way in which women are endlessly attracted to Hank is beyond tired, as is Karen's constant forgiving of him. Charlie and Marcy were once out there characters in a compelling way, now their antics are pitiful. Anyway, just like the early seasons of Dexter, I'll still have those early seasons of Californication which I'll undoubtedly go back and re-watch some day.
More +
Flag
True the journey matters more than the ending but endings are still important and this one sucked.
Flag
And blew.
Flag
Re Californication - really? I find it no worse than the many previous seasons where Hank's dick has been painted gold and women fall on it with abandon. Only now there's the utterly useless curiosity of his son (still no DNA test) and a missing Becca.

Otherwise, all is SO/SO and I am quite happy it is ending. NOT as happy as I was to see the back of Enlightened, but hey, I doubt I'll ever find another show to love to hate the way I loved to hate that one.

I'm curious, though - when did you actually perceive Californication to have quality?

On Dexter, and the bedtime stories we've all been told about the journey. Nope, the journey matters naught to me, I wanted Dexter with a bullet right between his eyes. I wanted Deb alive, and I couldn't care less about the rest of the show. The Journey is a platitudinous line of bull crap invented by the RCC.

But first Hall goes on Inside The Writer's Room (that was the name of the show) and praises the crap writing by the crap writers, and NOW he tries to do a turnabout?

Nice try, Hall, but game over, there's no going back.

Oh, and there can NEVER be enough kvetching about this piece of crap final season and the worst finale in the history of the world.
More +
Flag
Believe it or not, I actually did like Californication before. It certainly wasn't the best show out there, but good enough. It has a familiar premise (a train wreck of a man dealing with his relationship problems), but with a somewhat refreshingly raunchy take on it (cable show which permits a lot more to be said and done). But like @No1Slayerette said above, the show got progressively worse. A part of that was naturally the result of the novelty wearing off. Despite this, it still remained the same Californication over the seasons until the last one which sucked bad.

The last season was simply inexplicably bad. I have no idea why the writers wrote it the way they did. I have no problem with the very least episode. It was predictable, but I think we always knew there was going to be some kind of a happy ending between Hank and Karen. What bothered me was the build up to it. None of the spark from earlier seasons was there. The show had its many faults; it was juvenile, at times misogynistic, everyone always accepted Hank's apologies, and as you said, the idea of Hank's penis being the Holy Grail for women (or should I say Holy Groin) was tiresome.

In spite of this previous seasons had moments of introspection for Hank and times when people around him, mainly women, challenged him. I also enjoyed the dialogue which was at times witty and rife with quick banter. On some level the show's ridiculous simplicity appealed to me. People did pretty much whatever they wanted without accountability, which guaranteed that the show could portray the most insane story lines and press the reset button in the very next scene. The dialogue was also, despite it's dirtiness, very open and honest in a way I wish real-life dialogue would sometimes be.

The last season though had none of that. It was like a parody of previous seasons. It was like the showrunner decided that since it's the last season, they should just fool around and create kind of one long gag reel. It's like he thought "fuck it, let's just pick up a camera and film stuff that seems funny". All the new characters were over-the-top caricatures of previous seasons' characters, and the regulars just parodied themselves. And then the writers decided to introduce a dim-witted son that Hank would pass on his manly wisdom to? That was crazy. I fully expected that Levon would turn out not to be Hank's son, so that Hank would have a serious moment of feeling lost after having opened up his heart to Levon. Last season Hank at least hung around with rock stars, had drug fuelled parties and met enigmatic Faith, wonderfully played by Maggie Grace. But this final season he was relegated to playing house with a pop-up family and failing at a final chance of a proper job.

During the last season I really felt one could tell that the creator of the show, Tom Kapinos, has done nothing else but this show during the last ten years. It felt like he has been so immersed in Californication that he thought he could do whatever he wanted with it. I think he lost perspective of what the audience wanted; he owned the show too intensely which made him complacent.
More +
Flag
So my question is WHY would you watch anything but the last episode of any series if the journey doesn't matter. Yet you insist you watched the whole thing. Me thinks you're full of it. Oh, and Lost was so much epically worse.
Flag
Methinks you know nothing.
Flag
I told my friend to watch through seven, and imagine the opposite outcome in the last scene. Done. Legacy still relatively intact ending on a resurgent season.
Flag
pretty much. I actually really, really enjoyed Season 7 of Dexter, but that may be largely impart to Yvonne Strahovski.
Flag
Nope, it was Isaac.
Flag
Isaac was amazing, made up for the bullshit that was season 5 and 6, unfortunately season 8 carried on the shit streak.
Flag
Oh really, that's not what he said in the panel show with the writers.

Hell, anyone would now want to distance themselves from that POS finale, possibly the worst in the history of the world.
Flag
See Lost...
Flag
I've been seeing this headline thrown about online recently, and it's plainly obvious after reading the interview that his words are being taken out of context.

While he does note that 'the show lost a certain amount of torque... Because of how long we'd done it, because of the story capital we's spent, because our writers may have been gassed', he also clearly states that he found the series' conclusion 'narratively satisfying' as well as 'pretty fitting', which, if I understand what he's saying correctly, means he DID NOT hate the series final of Dexter. Websites are just trying to capitalise and perpetuate the idea that they think everyone whoever watched the series absolutely despised the eighth season and the finale, which is not the case.
Flag
Kind of the biggest insult you can get from the 8-year lead actor of the show that he didn't even watch it.
It's also nice that he admits that the show lost its momentum because $$$$.
Flag
Keifer Sutherland has never seen himself on 24. Some actors aren't really into watching themselves...
Flag
I actually really liked the finale. Sure it was a bit random that he left Harrison with Hanna, but she seemed to care for him. I also loved that Dexter survived the storm.
Flag
it is over and nothing can be done. Was it the best possible ending, no... but trust me I have seen shows with worse endings. But I have moved on.
Flag
Again... see Lost.
Flag
The finale itself wasn't the problem. It was the entire season. Introducing seven new characters in a final season is never a good idea. Also fuck Hannah.

The finale is pretty much the best possible finale they could have done considering the shit they had to work with with the final season.
Flag
The entire season felt so crowded with multiple new story arches crammed into it. Deb's meltdown, doctor, Zack, Hannah.... This would require at least two seasons to resolve properly. Or cut down on plots and keep Deb's meltdown (understandable) and Hannah.
Flag
You're absolutely correct. Keep it simple, stupid, applies here...
Flag
Call me not surprised. He's a clever man, and it doesn't even need a clever man to see that this wasn't a good ending. Though I do appreciate he admitted it (after a time) instead of insisting it was good. A sign of character on his part.
Flag
It's getting to where I dread a series ending not because I'll miss it but because of how they'll screw it up cheapening the entire series. (Looking at you, "How I Met Your Aunt Robin") Ultimately I would have liked to see Dexter caught or killed. in self exile? that's a total cop out on every level.

Oh well, at least I'll always have Breaking Bad's finale if I want to see a quality finale.
Flag
I agree. However, both these series were bad before the finale. Those just tipped the iceberg of bullshit-itude.
Flag
I've heard a lot of people berate Dexter's final season, but definitely few that would say Breaking Bad's wasn't also very good... Care to explain?
Flag
Fuck. Had an elaborate comment (explanation of personal TV rating system included), hit backspace after immediately before unintentionally clicking outside the comment box (damn you, touchpad!) and my browser took the backspace as "return to previous page". Since TV.com doesn't stop you from leaving in that case quite a few words are now gone and I don't have the leisure to do it all over again, so I will leave you with the bottom line (short version):

Dexter and HIMYM both were very good shows that started well, even excelled at some things but ruined later seasons (as well as their legacies) with plot holes, bad writing (Dexter just endlessly and stupidly eluding the police - case in point: "Lemme just quickly be the first to enter the crime scene, tear up this humungous painting of me with a hammer and I'll be out of your way") or in comedy's case just not being funny anymore due to overuse of jokes or bad character developments. On top of that came abysmal finales with ludicrous plot developments that were the cherry on top of bullshit mountain a good show gone bad.
Breaking Bad's last season had congruent story progression from season 4's events, raised the stakes, pulled the rug from under our feet and hit us in the face with some of the most memorable moments of television, ever. Dexter and BB ended around the same time and I can recite ten quotes from the latter's last season and none from the formers. Most of all, however, it's that BB didn't make any 'mistakes', as in television craftsmenship.
More +
Flag
Exactly, Breaking Bad went out still on top, as in it didn't start declining in quality like Dexter did several seasons ago. as a series it handled itself infinitely better, it didn't over stay its welcome and had a solid finale unafraid to show us the consequences of the bad choices Walter White made. the final season was fantastic, the finale was outstanding and the series as a whole is just phenomenal.

Meanwhile Dexter takes the ultimate cop out, at the end of the day he's alive, still has free will and can resume his killing whenever he likes. only the people around him met with any consequences of his actions.

The How I Met Your Aunt Robin does just as bad, it's been faltering for the last couple of seasons (Cause seriously, how long did they think they could milk a show based on the premise of telling a story about meeting your wife?) even then though, season 9 was actually pretty good. the thought of an entire season taking place 24 style on the eve of Robin and Barney's wedding sounded horrible but it actually worked. People LOVED Christine Milotti as the Mother, she was warm, funny, meshed well with the cast and had an undeniable chemistry with Ted. until the ending. Barney and Robin end up divorced so the entire season 9 was just a waste, the perfect proposal and Barney's growth as a character went straight into the toilet, then, on top of all that, to senselessly kill off the Mother to put him with fan favorite Robin... it really made the whole series unwatchable knowing NONE of these stories are even relevant, he "Met" his future wife in the pilot. Maybe not the Mother, but at the end of the day it turns out she's irrelevant too. turns out she was just a plot device to allow them to do a "twist" at the 2 minute warning on a technicality. at some point in the day they forgot they were making a comedy when the culmination of the series is a divorce and death of a beloved character.

I have Dexter and HIMYAR both on DVD in their entirety save the final seasons and don't see myself ever watching them again, also have All of Breaking Bad and have already rewatched it since it ended.
More +
Flag
Like the HIMYM finale, it was a total cop-out and a giant middle finger to fans. I'm not as concerned about Harrison, though sending him off with an unrepentant serial killer probably won't turn out well for him, as I am with Deb's fate and what Batista, Quinn, & the rest of the MAPD knew about Dexter's true nature.

I think Dexter should have died doing something heroic like killing Saxon, Hanna should have just died, Deb should have gotten out of Miami with Harrison to start a new life. If anybody's death should have been faked it should have been Deb's, but that would still leave Harrison's whereabouts a mystery to Batista and company. End the show with a montage of the cops discovering some blood slides in Dexter's apartment, his tools, evidence of how he's used his job to help him do what he did, and an audio or handwritten confession from him detailing all the things he's done and how he doesn't want his son to know or be like him.
Flag
The downside to that is, everyone around him would have been destroyed... including those that worked with him. It would be Shakespearean levels of tragedy all around.

Professionally: that entire department would be done. They let a serial killer roam around and even unknowingly helped him. They'd be fired and pretty much pariahs in law enforcement. Professionally, they'd be DONE.

Personally: the members of the department would be devastated. Dexter wasn't just an employee, he was their friend. Not to mention that they'd realize that either Dexter or Deb killed their co-workers.

The two bullet-points combined would probably lead to a bunch of suicides, depression cases, etc.

Harrison would be more likely to learn the truth... and when he was too young to cope with it.
Flag
The show was full of tragedy, why shouldn't it end with it?

It's possible that knowledge of Dexter's actions could be contained or completely covered-up to protect the department and Dexter's image. If the information was public the department would likely face a lot of appeals for cases Dexter contributed to from convicts & lawyers claiming Dexter could have tampered with evidence and/or his coworkers' inability to see him for what he was calls their investigative skills & judgement into question.

Maybe only Batista , Matsuka, & Quinn would know, leaving them to deal with the emotional ramifications amongst themselves or individually Batista would probably quit the force again and drink heavily. Quinn would turn to alcohol, maybe drugs, and probably hookers. Matsuka would go from stripper to hooker to stripper, but that would probably happen anyway because that's who he is.
Flag
Miami Metro mass suicide pact sounds like a PERFECT way for the series to have ended. What, too dark?
Flag
Miami Metro deserved to be pariahs. Dumber than doorknobs they were. They'd have been okay if they all worked at the same Auto-Zone, but cops?
Flag
Staff
The most atrocious series finale in the history of television.

Glad he agrees (sorta).
Flag
Amen. IMO, in the history of the world.
Flag
Then you guys didn't see Lost. Lucky you.
Flag
Staff
I have not. Still, i know plenty who have, Dexter was worse.
Flag
One thing finale just ignored is what happens to people close to him. Harrison for example. Consider this: he'll live in argentina with a woman that's not family. Once he learns his father is dead it will combine with fact his mother was murdered and with his psychological traits shown earlier and will not bode well for future. If he doesn't turn out seriusly psychologically damaged person on apth to become serial killer by his 20s it will be a wonder.
Flag
You don't know that. A lot of good stories are based on messed up premises--Pretty Woman, just to name one.
Flag
Not to mention that the woman raising him is a multiple murderer and probably not the most stable person on the planet or the best role model.
Flag
Setting up a spin-off!
Watch for Dexter Jr. in about 10 years.
Flag
That as well......
Flag
The only potential up-side to the Hannah raising Harrison (from a story standpoint) is that perhaps Dexter "knew" that Harrison was too far gone having been damaged as much as Dexter.

And that the choices were either that a "normal" family raise him and he ends up hurting them and getting killed / imprisoned quickly, or someone like her raises him to be "smart" about it like Dexter and forcus his urges on the deserving. A female Harry if you will.

Morally, it's a very dark gray area but at least that's something.
Flag
Basically, the problem here is that Dexter was supposedly what he was because he had to spend too much time standing in his mother's blood. But it's usually not that simple. Many people have perverted thoughts but don't act on them. It's a strange world we live in Master Jack.
Flag
But Hannah was unlikely to teach him "Harry code". She simply doesn't have his outlook and morality. At best she will teach him how to not get caught.

That is if they even stay together. Considering she is a wanted fugitive, Harrison is not her son and are probably in Argentina illegaly there are chances of being exposed and deported back to US.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members