A Dexter Community
Showtime (ended 2013)

This is a follow-up for Patsully's yesterday post

So what is your favorite season/s of Dexter, and why?

For me it is like this:

#1 Season 4, Dexter the Family Guy and most importantly these Two Words: Trinity, Rita(R.I.P :( ).

#2 Season 7, Debra knows about Dexter "Dark Passenger",Hannah(Dexter's "True Love"), Isaak(i love that guy), the death of LaGuerta, what's not to like?.

#3 Season 1, getting to know Dexter the Killers Serial Killer, the brother of Dexter, Dexter's Past, Dexter Killing his Long Lost People Serial Killer Brother Brian.

#4 Season 2, the Bay Harbor Butcher investigation, FBI Agent Frank who suspects Dexter of being the Butcher, Doakes framing himself :) , Dexter seeing his "Trophies" with the FBI, Lila, and Doakes death.

#5 Season 5, Dexter's guilt for Rita's death, Dexter's newborn Baby, Dexter's affair with Lumen, the pursuit of the group of Serial Rapists/Killers and their leader Jordan Chase.

#6 Season 3, Dexter propose to Rita, Dexter become the Serial Killer Guru, Dexter kills his only Student/Partner/Friend/Best man at the time, Dexter is captured by the Skinner(a Serial Killer) he escapes and kills him and make it look like an accident and escape from the place before the police notice him and frame the Skinner for the killing of his Partner in killing Miguel Prado(Serial Killer Wannabe), and gets in time for his wedding.

#7 Season 6, the Doomsday Serial Killer, Nah, i really hated that season, the only good thing in that season was brother Sam, he had great moments with Dexter and almost made him feel human and feel mercy, but that Dick Nick(who shot Brother Sam) ruined it all :( .

What about you??

poll
55 Comments
Comments (54)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Season 4 is the best because of powerful opponent john lithgow
Flag
1. Season 2 - Everything about this season was perfection. The intense manhunt with Lundy & the FBI for the "Bay Harbor Butcher" was beautifully executed and never failed to leave you on the edge of your seat. And I know you can either love Lila or hate her, but her character was such a brilliant wildcard and the writers could have done anything they wanted with her. I also adored Deb's character development this season, with the help of her amazing romance with Lundy.

2. Season 4 - Another perfect season. John Lithgow slayed as the notorious, family man "Trinity Killer". His interactions with his family were marvelous, the Thanksgiving dinner scene was one of the best scenes in any show I've ever seen. Dexter thinking he needed his help, then soon realizing how much of a nightmare he truly was, leading up to the tragic demise of my lovely Rita. Everything about this season was A+

3. Season 5 - I loved Lumen. Her character was so freaking beautifully executed. I loved the arch for this season, and this is where Dexter was at his finest: bringing justice to people who deserved it. Lumen/Dexter working together brought some of the best kill scenes that the show ever saw. Although the whole Liddy hunting Lumen/Dexter plot was take it or leave it, overall, s5 was a phenomenal season.

4. Season 1 - The birth of it all. The "Ice Truck Killer" arch was brilliant and there were so many crazy twists like in every other episode involving him. First, finding out he was Debra's boyfriend, and then that he's Dexter's brother! The idea of another killer knowing Dexter was incredible. Debra and her bubbly ways, before she became the badass she was, was adorable. Rita's storyline with her asshole ex-husband was also really well done. Fantastic season.

5. Season 7 - LaGuerta investigating Dexter was well-written. Isaak Sirko's storyline was really good, even the whole Quinn/Nadia thing was perfect. The "oh shit Deb knows who Dexter is" plot was very well-executed in the like first 3 episodes, but then in my opinion, it turned to shit (until the finale). I will never understand the writer's decision with making Deb's biggest concern about Dexter being a serial killer, is his refusal to kill Hannah. I mean I hated her too, but it just lead to some really annoying scenes with Deb. The tension in the season premiere was unbearably amazing: one of the best episodes to date. And oh my god, the finale was gold.

6. Season 3 - Miguel Prado was a fantastic character. He was a family man gone mad due to Dexter's abstaining from his code. And the whole arch this season was good, there really just wasn't much excitement present. I liked how it focused more on Dexter's personal interactions with Rita, ️Miguel, and his wife, and the finale with Rita/Dexter's wedding was beautiful. The "skinner" was definitely one of the worst storyline and antagonists in the show. And Quinn's introduction with the annoying Asian girl and freaking Anton was aggravating.

7. Season 6 - I think the only thing going for this season was the creative kills, because I mean they were pretty cool. But other than that, I hated the religious aspect of this season. It altogether could have been completely avoided. And I mean I liked the finale, but IF ONLY DEB FOUND OUT IN THE SEASON 5 FINALE, UGH. This season was really just throw-away bad.

8. Season 8 - I honestly don't even want to discuss how disgustingly bad this season was. Why would a woman so important to who Dexter was just show up in the last season? Why would they include a big bad in a season that was supposed to wrap everything up and not even give us his identity until the third to last freaking episode? Why did they bring Hannah back? Why did they bring in a new protégé for Dexter to train, only to kill him off 2 episodes later? Why did Deb end up in the ocean? Why did Hannah end up alive with Harrison? Why did Dexter become a lumberjack? Complete garbage.
More+
Flag
1. Season 1
2. Season 2
3. Season 4
4. Season 7
5. Season 8
6. Season 3
7. Season 6
8. Season 5

Season 8 as a season wasn't terrible (It was miles better than Season 3, 5, and 6 which sucked major balls), the only thing bad about it was the Finale Episode and the fates of the the characters.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Season 8 -8/10
Flag
#1- Season 4, ( who couldn't like the trinity!!!!!)
#2- Season 2,( loved it except for Killing Doakes)
#3- Season 5,1,6,7, (so close)
#4- season 3. ( didn't like the relationship between Dexter and Miguel)
Flag
Great seasons 4, 2, and 1. Edge of your seat entertainment.

Good season: 7

OK seasons: 3 and 6

Really bad season: 5

Absolute dog crap: THIS SEASON 8!
Flag
4 2 7 1 3 5 6. i hope this final season would be after 1st at least i hope. ;)
Flag
2...1...4...5...3...................now on season 6.....
Flag
Flag
How the hell can you think 6 was miles better than 3?? 6 was absolutely atrocious whereas 3 was amazing. You're insane.
Flag
Honestly, I think:

1 I loved how they handled everything from the book, with two exceptions. I didn't like Deb being "engaged" to the killer and I still wish they would have offed LaGuerta like in the book.
3 I hated Miguel, but it was such an interesting go to see how "normal" Dex could be.
4 I loved the "family man" Trinity angle, but Rita in a tub was AWESOME. (though I still miss Julie Benz)
5 I liked Lumen, and the story with her. It was a new twist.
2 I hated Lila and the other garbage. Doakes was fantastic, but I wish it had followed the book and kept Doakes around.
7 Deb asking if he was a serial killer was decent. LaGuerta dying was a huge YAY.
6 I hated this season. Brother love and fake characters... blah.
Flag
Im sorry but Season 3 was just terrible, easily one of the worst seasons of TV ever created, the only good part was Miguel.
Flag
I didn't love it, but when ranked, I think it was the lesser of 2 evils for me. I liked Dexter reaching out... and it was better than the 3rd book, and he wasn't training Cody and Astor to be killers, so plus for me.
Flag
Ive only read the first book, and you do know they stopped following the books after season 1. But in season 3, Miguel and everything about Miguel was amazing, but toher then everything else was just awful in every way.
Flag
I think that I agree with you. Although they followed some aspects of the second book and season 2, (very very very very little) I do know they quit. I was glad in some ways, not in others.
Flag
2 - Because everything came together so beautifully.
4 - Because Trinity, and what other reasons do you need?
1 - Because if it hadn't been great, I wouldn't still be watching.
7 - Because Yvonne Strahovski mmmmmm.... and Deb finding out.
3 - Because slightly boring but hadn't lost its edge yet.
5 - Because Lumen was alright but the Big Bad was weak.
6 - Because Brother Sam was cool and I actually didn't figure out the twist but nor did I particularly care.
Flag
There's no doubt in my mind that this is the definitive correct ranking, no room for error.
Flag
Season 7 was the best for me. the truth was out between Dex and Deb and Yvonne Strahovski was around making things awesome all leading to a season finale that ended decently with an overdue character death. It was the season that really "had" me.
then 4-5-2-1-3-6
Flag
1-- best characters, best writing, best everything.
4-- Lithgow was incredible and a fantastic finale.
2-- Doakes was great, but it strained credibility at times
3-- I still enjoyed this season though it wasn't anything special.
6-- Even if the surprise was spoiled, I still preferred the Doomsday killer stuff to Lumen and at least it was interesting in theory. I liked the theatricality of it.
7-- It probably wasn't as bad as season 6 overall but it just seemed unnecessary. They could have condensed 6, 5 and 7 into one solid season and gone out on a high note but they just keep dragging things out and adding in things that nobody cares about. Yes there was the big reveal at the end of season 6, but they really didn't do much with it-- the incest thing was a dead end and I think it was about time that they killed LaGuerta, when she died I realized that I didn't even care.
5-- They completely blew an opportunity to do something interesting with the character in this season, and Lumen was boring. There were so many directions that they could have gone in to make the show really take off and have a solid end, but instead they just things go back to business as usual. I HATED season 5. 6, 5 and 7 should have been combined into a solid season 5 and then they could have done an amazing finish in season 6... but instead they wanted to keep going even though it was already dead.
More+
Flag
Season 1, without a doubt. Just so perfectly and carefully executed, starting with the small beautiful packages (remember the Barbie doll) that the ITK left Dexter, building up slowly to the great crescendo -- the revelation that Brian was Dexter's long lost brother. Not to say that I didn't love the other seasons, but nothing beats Season 1.
Flag
Flag
Season 1
Season 4

that is all.
Flag
My choice:

Season 1
Season 7
Season 4
Season 2
Season 5
Season 3
Season 6
Flag
1, Getting to know him. Without that nothing else works.
7, Hannah. A hot chick isn't enough to make a season, but her character was so compelling. And let's not forget Isaac. And the great reveal. Actually this might be tied for first place.
5, Dexter gets to be the hero and rescue a damsel in distress. And Johnny Lee Miller was superb as the bad guy.
4, Lundy and Trinity. Fantastic performances from both.
2, Lundy minus Lila. She was the worst character on the show ever, even worse than Quinn.
6, The Doomsday killer, oh please!
3, Miguel. Not quite as bad as Lila, but the season didn't have Lundy.
Flag
My two cents, in ascending order: S4 (the magnificent one), S1, S5, S7 (the good ones), S2, S3 (the "meh" ones), S6 (the terrible one)
Flag
I may have answered this differently before, but at the moment, I feel like:

Season 2
Season 4
Season 1
Season 3
Season 7
Season 5
Season 6
Flag
Season 4 - 'Cause Dexter had it coming and we finally got rid of Rita.
Season 1 - 'Cause we got the pleasure to meet Dexter.
Season 7 - 'Cause Deb got the pleasure to meet Dexter, and Dex got to know Hannah McKay.
Season 2 - 'Cause Doakes got to know Dexter and Lila got to know lovely Paris.
Season 5 - 'Cause Dexter got the opportunity to heal with Lumen.
Season 3 - 'Cause I survived the boredom.
Season 6 - 'Cause of the final 5 minutes.
Flag
I agree with your ranking, I also liked season 1 better than season 7
Flag
i agree with the way you ranked them
Flag
My personal ranking of Dexter's seasons:
1) Season Two
Not only the most compeling and re-watchable of them all but also one of the best seasons of any TV show in history, IMHO, where every single episode was a masterpiece: the death of Dexter's brother and the knowledge of his past sparks several conflicting and deep human feelings in Dexter; he learns the most about his mother and how Harry was involved with her; the dead bodies that Dexter put in the water are found out, which leads to him being the serial killer the police is searching for, with even the help of the FBI, and press giving him title of "The Bay Harbor Butcher" ("The Dark Defender" was also a cool idea for a comic); Doakes goes after Dexter and finds who he truly is, sharing with him some of the most compeling scenes of the entire series; and Lila was, for me, the most interesting, nuanced, sexy and crazy "villain" character of all seasons.
2) Season Five
Dexter dealing with Rita's death, with his baby son, with damaged-vengeful-likable-understanding Lumen, with the bad guys that tortured and killed other girls like her and with being once again chased by the police, which includes her sister.
3) Season One
We are introduced to Dexter and the other main characters and he finds out the truth about his surpressed and traumatic past, with the help of his brother aka "The Ice Truck Killer", which ends up provoking some intense human feelings, probably for the first time ever, in him.
4) Season Seven
Dexter's sister Debra finds out everything about who he really is and has done and Dexter falls in love with a very charmingly psychotic killer named Hanna.
5) Season Three
Dexter purposes and marries Rita and forges an interesting if tragic friendship with someone who knows he's a serial killer.
6) Season Four
Dexter at his most dumb, making the mistake of delaying the death of the captivatingly crazy and smart "Trinnity" serial killer (if not particularly interesting IMHO), just because he somehow indentifies with him and thinks he can learn something useful about how to live his life (the most wrong Dexter has ever been about anything), which inevitably leads to very tragic results.
7) Season Six
More or less boring from start to finish, except for the last minute of the last episode, where Debra sees her brother Dexter stabing Travis.
More+
Flag
I have to agree with your ranking.. There was some doubt how to rank season 1 & 2, but since it was pretty obvious from the first episode he appeared, that Brian was the Ice-Truck killer, I completley agree with your ranking..
Flag
I loved season 1,2,4 and 7 not in any particular order, but I didn't like any other seasons especially not season 6
Flag
2 and 7 tie.
Flag
7: Perfection.
2: My previous definition of perfection.
4: Outstanding, but there's a definite lull mid-season.
5: Call me an apologist, but I loved Lumen and her story. Sue me.
1: Loved it (obviously, I wouldn't be watching now if I didn't), but it got so much better.
3: Lots of boring bits, but still great TV.
6: I don't like being taken for an idiot. The Gellar thing was outright insulting. The rest of the season didn't fare much better.
Flag
I could definitely go with this, although Seasons 1 & 2 could edge out 7, but it's just too close to call...
Flag
Season 6 is ultimately the worst season of Dexter, it's the only season which no one voted for in the poll, and everybody in the comments(except for two) said that season 6 was the worst
Flag
I think it goes without saying...
Flag
Flag
7, 2, 1, 4 , 3, 5, 6.
Flag
Season 7: Performances, writing and the finale. Everything was perfect from the beginning to the finale of the season. I finally started seeing how we were not only seeing Dexter's story but also Debra's and while rewatching the previous seasons, this one made me look at all of them very very differently. Loved Hannah (can't wait for her return) and the finale which surprisingly was more shocking than season 6's and season 4's.

Season 4: John Lithgow was phenomenal and the season was dark and exciting. I remember the first time I watched episodes 09 ''Hungry Man'' (my favourite episode) and 12 ''The Getaway'' when I got the goose bumps. The ending was shocking and Rita's death necessary if one thinks of Seasons 5 and 7 and how the story turned out. Brilliant!

Season 2: Bay Harbour Butcher, Lila and everything about the attempts of Dexter to get rid of his Dark Passenger was what made this one of the best seasons of Dexter. Also the story of Dexter's mother was beautifully set. ''There's Something About Harry'' and ''The Dark Defender'' my favourite season 2 episodes.

Season 1: The beginning where we meet Dexter and the Ice Truck Killer who will be as important of a character as he was in this season, throughout the series. ''Seeing Red'' my favourite episode this season!

Season 5: Rita's dead and Dexter, in his own unique way deals with it. He meets Lumen and through her tries to repent for his mistake which led to Rita's death. ''Everything is Illumenated'' and ''Take It!'' my favourite episodes.

Season 3: Dexter with his own re-invented code meets Miguel Prado and makes a friend for the first time. ''Easy as Pie'' easily the best of season 3

Season 6: Probably the worst of Dexter. But even at its worst Dexter is one of the best tv out there. Faith doesn't suit Dexter. ''Nebraska'' the best episode of season 6 while the finale gives us the second ''Oh My God'' moment of the series (the first being the season 4 finale)
More+
Flag
Season 4
Season 1
Season 2
Season 7
Season 3
Season 5
Season 6
Flag
Flag
Exact same ranking as mine! Internet high five. *smack*
Flag
Season 1
Season 4
Season 3
Season 2
Season 7
Season 5
Season 6
Flag
Season 1
Season 4
Season 7
Season 2
Season 5
Season 6
Season 3
Flag
2 (even though I hated the ending), 1, 4, 3, 5, 7, 6.
Flag
1.Season 2
2.Season 4-
3.Season 1
4.Season 7
5.Season 6
6.Season 5
7.Season 3
Flag
Hey, that's my face...

Six over five and three, that's cool...
Flag
  1. Season 1: Simply the best. It had the most intrigue, I guess.
  2. Season 4: Trinity, Rita, like you said. Great stuff as well but somehow I didn't find it quite as great as the first season.
  3. Season 5: I don't know what everyone's issue was with that one but I found Dexter's character development top notch, the villains weren't as bad as season 3's. I also liked Lumen (yes, finally out of the closet with that one).
  4. Season 2: All in all a great season with two major flaws: First and foremost I simply hated Lila and second, the whole coverup was a bit thinly wrought.
  5. Season 3: I dunno, just nothing really special.
  6. Season 6: Yeah, nothing to say here (although there were, of course, some great episodes).
Flag
Where is Season 7??
Flag
Oh, that's a good question. Squeeze that one in between spots 4 & 5. It was definitely better than seasons 3 and 6 in my opinion but some things (Dexter killing someone in broad daylight at a shooting range) were just queer (no pun intended).
Flag
Yeah i agree with about Dexter killing that Hitman in the shooting range, but we cant be sure what he did before or after, so it may seem stupid but it also possible for it to not be!, it was a short scene we cant be sure of anything.
Flag
Awesome! Out of curiosity, what browser are you using? Would love to help you add a poll.

Flag
It works now, i posted the poll using IE9
And i am not using the stable version of Firefox, i am using FF23 which is Aurora(a nightly Firefox build), so you might want to try testing it on a stable version yourself to know if there is a problem, i would love to test it for you but i don't currently have the stable version of Firefox installed and i have more than 120 tabs open now(i have a problem i know) and it would be hard for me to switch browsers right away
Flag
Excellent! And that makes a lot of sense - 120 tabs is impressive, but it will cause a few issues while posting.
Flag
Firefox latest version, i will try with other browsers, i will also try posting a poll in a comment and see if it works.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members