A Dexter Community
Showtime (ended 2013)

After seven bloody seasons, more than a lifetime's supply of industrial-strength plastic wrap, and a seemingly endless number of terrible and/or misused supporting characters, Dexter will start unspooling its final 12 episodes this Sunday. It's been quite a bumpy road at times ('sup, Season 6!), but with nothing to hold back, Dexter is primed to speed toward one hell of a conclusion. Below are some of my big wishes for the final run; please share your own in the comments! 

Keep the focus on Dexter and Deb

Season 7 marked a substantial uptick in quality for Dexter because it stripped away the secondary and tertiary elements and really zeroed in on the relationship between Dexter and Deb, especially in its early episodes. Of course, it helped that the writers finally let Deb in on Dexter's secret, but I was pleasantly surprised by how complex their relationship became in the aftermath of Deb's newfound knowledge. The events of the Season 7 finale should make that relationship even more complex and challenging, so there's absolutely no reason why it shouldn't dominate most of the show's runtime each and every week. We know that Dexter has learned to compartmentalize and handle all the details of a major cover-up, but how in the world will Deb deal with killing LaGuerta and covering it all up to protect her brother? I'm guessing not very well.

Try to find something—ANYTHING—interesting for the supporting characters to do

One of the worst-kept secrets on television is that Dexter's supporting characters are terrible. They've always been terrible, but they've been particularly problematic since Doakes died at the end of Season 2. Like most fans of the show, I have some residual affection for Masuka and Batista, but it's been several seasons since either of them has had an intriguing storyline. Sorry, but Batista quitting his job and opening a restaurant does not count. And it's just staggering that Quinn is still alive. I'm weary that the show can find compelling things for these characters to do outside of the occasional bout of comic relief; if it can't, it should just leave them on the sidelines. I'm not sure anyone actually cares whether Quinn can pull his life together after a half-decade's worth of screw-ups. But the news that Aimee Garcia's Jamie is being upped to series regular doesn't instill much confidence in me.

More Hannah!

I'm not exactly sure how or when the show plans to bring Yvone Strahovski's Hannah back, but I eagerly await that episode. Hannah is one of the remaining wild cards that could completely disrupt Dexter's plans to escape, Deb's plans to lock her brother up, or both. At the end of last season, Dexter "chose" Deb over Hannah by turning in evidence that proved Hannah killed Sal Price, but he certainly didn't make that decision lightly. Although Deb desperately wanted to put Hannah behind bars and keep her away from Dexter, there were small moments where she could understand why Hannah and Dexter shared a connection. I wasn't entirely convinced that Hannah actually poisoned Deb, even though she admitted to doing so, but it's not like she's an innocent individual otherwise. As you'll see below, I don't think there's room for Dexter to get some kind of "happy ending"—either with Hannah or without her—but there's definitely room for more exploration of the kind of things that Hannah brings out in him. 

Dial back the procedural murders-of-the-week

Just like the unnecessary focus on frivolous supporting characters, I don't see why we still need to see so many of the procedural elements in the show. At this point, the dominant story of Dexter and Deb working their way through LaGuerta's death and all the terrible things they've done should always get the majority of the screen time. Dexter found a nice groove last season by pulling Dexter and Deb's story into the episodic kills, and that's something that could work again—but only if the two characters have a different perspective. Deb isn't going to be remotely supportive of Dexter's decision to keep killing, the last vestiges of the Code, or anything else. Maybe we should see more of Deb trying to stop Dexter.

Don't be afraid to take Dexter to really dark places, and make him face the consequences

It's the final season; there's no more reason to hold back. For years, Dexter has struggled to balance his urges and his fleeting moments of humanity. If the show's writers decide that his urges should completely and permanently take over, that sounds fantastic to me. Dexter isn't a hero, he's not even really an anti-hero. The dude is a murderer, period. And now he's destroyed his sister's life by bringing her into his world of constant self-destruction, epiphanies, and cover-ups. Season 8 doesn't need to be about Dexter's rehabilitation; he cannot be rehabilitated. Play that up, and let us see the impact that it has on the people closest to him, most importantly Deb. Most of all, there should be real consequences for years and years of terrible activity. I don't think prison is the answer, but maybe death is. This show is not building to a happy ending. 

What's on YOUR wishlist for the final season of Dexter?

163 Comments
Comments (165)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Dexter dies before he can be taken into custody...but wait, he faked his death. Last scene, he is either on his boat or at an airport and his last thoughts before the show ends. "Florida isn't the only place that there's bad guys." or something along those lines.
Flag
so difficult!! I think the ending involves dexter dying but then I think about harrison, poor kid!! And yes, focus on dexter and deb relationship and a little bit of hannah maybe deb can kill her?? she wanted to last season. I'll sit back and enjoy the ride
Flag
Like 1 year ago falling in love with <the l word>, this year, same television company but different show, I met something fantastic, it's called <dexter>. Life is so amazing but not easy. Sometime when we read the stories of minorities, we feel closer to the truth of life.
Dexter, he is already in pieces, a serial killer for monsters and always pretending to be normal. The cases he has done will make you look back to yourself deeply to see whether you are as simple as black and white, and what you are pretending to be?
And I know one site to buy cheap dvd box set, maybe you can buy it .
http://www.buytvdvd.com/dexter-seasons-17-dvd-box-set-p-613.html?pid=688
Flag
I'm definitely excited about seeing what kind of role Hannah will play in this season.
Flag
Oh, I just thought of a good ending. Not exactly original, but still...

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with me."
Flag
"wrapped in plastic".....brilliant title

Gotta keep the Dex-Deb thing as paramount. I'm thinking Quinn dies at Dexter's hand, Deb kills Dexter and Harisson has his Dexter re-birth in a pool of his blood. Hopefully the ending will be cleverer and fitting for the show.
Flag
I wish....... Dexter would abandon his code. Maybe Deb being killed could trigger it. then maybe a man hunt for him as he's trying to escape to Argentina with hannah. And for the ending I wouldn't mind either of these 2 endings - Dexter hannah and harrison driving off in the sunset or the electric chair for Dex. either way i'm fine
Flag
Oh, so difficult!
But I agree - I think the best ending will involve Dexter's death.
As an alternative I can maaaybe see him in jail, in some last scene where they've tried to pick on him and he's just sitting there in a pool of blood while the other inmates back away...
They MAY go with the fake death-routine, especially since Dexter, with all his forensic expertise, would be really good at it.
And the show could end with him lying in wait/standing over a corpse in some far-off location, a smiling Dark Passenger in charge, while Deb raises Harrison and keeps a very worried eye on him/is faced with HIS Dark Passenger, and what to do about it...
Flag
1. Plea.................................se, give Dexter a "happy ending" (something like the one they gave Jack Bauer.
2. Give us the most terrifying villain ever !!
3. Kill Quinn on the way. That's the best storyline for him.
4. Don't forget about Harrison, give him a home at the end (why not with his father)
5. No more brother-sister twisted relationship, I hate it, it's just not right

Flag
Agreed that I'm tired of Dexter always getting a perfectly packaged way out. After the arrogant decisions he made in Season 6 he deserves nothing less than jail and humiliation. I don't have any predictions but I really hope Deb doesn't go batshit crazy.
Flag
I don't know how it all will go, and don't care to speculate, but if the final scene isn't Harrison sitting in a pool of a murdered Dexter's blood, I'll be disappointed.
Flag
The season should have Hannah kidnap Harrison at some point, then Dexter has to take her out. The finale should have Deb kill Dexter to finally stop him...

Flag
this issilly...you guys know that the season is already been shot right?
so we have to sit it out and see what the ending will be like.

i was just hopeing it would be 2 seasons long the end,not 12 crappy episode .

I realy liked dexter but if i wont watch the final season i wont be missing much i geuss
Flag
wait?! they've already shot it? So the writers won't be looking at this thread and basing their decisions of our insightful predictions?

Oh well lucky thing this is just for the fun of speculating. I propose that you are the one being silly
Flag
As it goes for the uninteresting characters, the writers did every one a favor by killing the LaGuerta, possibly the most uninteresting character in the show, or any for that matter. I wouldn't care much for quinn either, in fact I believe the best thing to do in his favor would be to kill him, possibly in the hands of Dexter.

Apart from that I'm pretty much on the same page as has been mentioned here.
Flag
I agree with all of these. Yvone Strahovski should be in every show ever and the sooner she's brought into it again the better. Also axe as many scenes with the "supporting" cast as possible because they're terrible (when I say terrible I mean the characters and not the actors themselves) and definitely send Dexter to as dark a place as they can. I don't want a happy ending for this show.
Flag
Even if Harrison doesn't become a killer I'd still like to see a flash-forward with him. Maybe Dexter has to leave to avoid capture or does get caught so Deb has to raise Harrison. Who knows? I'm not so good at speculation. I just like a good old-fashioned surprising yet satisfying ending.

Flag
Last season I was SO hoping that Hannah would kill Quinn. I'd rather see LaGuerta try to avenge a murder that happened 5 seasons ago or Angel buying a restaurant than Quinn's stripper/dirty cop story. He got the most exciting side-story of all the supporting characters! I can't stand that guy.
Am I alone on this?
Flag
have a fast forward of sorts where Dexter is a mentor to Harrison, who himself has a dark passenger like his father.
Flag
OK. How about this - just hear me out here - they kill Deb in the first episode? Wouldn't it create some great directions to take the last season? I would have done it.
Flag
So... my motto has always been less Deb. Because she's annoying. Strung out, moody, annoying Deb? Na bruh.
Flag
I would love Lumen back. I know she hasn't been the most adored character, but Lumen VS Hannah, what a great World war blonde that would be.
Flag
What. Who doesn't adore Lumen? She was great.
Flag
More of Quinn tryna figure out Dexter and less of Hannah.The last couple episodes should show Dexter really trying to become normal and actually does. You know what they say, the more you tell a lie the more it becomes the truth. and the finale should show Dexter in the future only to find out like father like son. But it was all just a DREAM for Dexter.

Flag
let dexter flee to another country or fake his death :P i don't want him to die or go to jail!!!!!
Flag
I know it's probably not going to happen... but I would like to see Lumen back.
Flag
I had the same thought! I LOVED Lumen..
Flag
I just want no happy ending. That is all.
Flag
Good article Cory! I like the photo of "three boring men".
I will like the season let Dexter be the dark killer he was in the first season,
before he was a family men with children. And he may have to die at the end, though I could see him running away. He had tried this before. But the show is about Dexter, not Debra, so I don´t want her to take over the series. If she killed herself, that would transform Dexter into a dark serial killer. The trailers shows she is going into a dark path herself. So?
Hannah? Dexter should kill her, I think that would be fair for her, and for Dexter´s impulses. It would set him free on his new "dark paths".
I will like to see again Lumen. Could she rescue Dexter? for those that say he can not be rescue I say this: how many lives has Dexter saved by killing all these people during 7 seasons? I think many. Yes, he is a killer, but... even Batman has his dark sides. We still don´t want him dead. I don't want Dexter dead either.
Sorry if I am not making any sense, but I don´t really know what I want for the last season more than this: a good final season!
More+
Flag
Step 1 (may require rewrite) Hire writers who aren't currently struggling with elementary school...
Flag
The women in Dexters life are definitely going to be his downfall, it will either be Deb or Hannah, that is where is weaknesses are...
Flag
Definitely more Hannah and less Quinn. I really hope this season is going to be about the fall of Dexter Morgan and as little as possible about the supporting characters.
Flag
I completely agree with you, Cory. More Debra and Hannah with Dexter, less side characters and the darkest ending possible. Debra is the best thing on this show. I hope Carpenter gets nominated for an Emmy.
Flag
Keep the focus on Deb? Really??? Just how much whining and cursing can one take? I so wish she would have been killed off in an earlier season.
Flag
Seriously? She was by far the best thing about season 7. JC's acting has been fantastic in every season. (My only complaint is that she overacted the nervousness in the pilot episode). The writers haven't always been able to come up with good things for her to do, but that problem was much bigger with *all* the other characters.
Flag
Yep, if you love constant whining and complete incompetence in her job then she's just great.
Flag
Her acting is on point. So much so, that the character she plays happens to annoy me. Again, JC is great.... Deb not so much.
Flag
yes! Deb has been the (absolute) best thing on this show since her use of the word "fucknugget" in Season 7
Flag
Dexter is one of those rare shows that, going into its final season, I have no idea what I want to happen or what will happen, which is scary but more so very very exciting for me as a television viewer.

On your thoughts Cory, season seven was almost perfect for me, and that focused a lot of Dexter and Deb, and although I know this season is likely to be the same, the trailers worry me. There's a whole lot of Deb being extremely melodramatic, and I'm afraid too much of this will start to annoy me, so hopefully they can keep the balance like they did last season... and remember that Dexter is the lead here, it's his conclusion that is the most important.

If the Dexter writers haven't bothered to develop the secondary characters previously, I don't want them to start now, but to rather focus on what they do best. Too much time spent on these characters is time wasted which could be used to benefit other areas of the show. Yes, it is quite remarkable that Quinn is alive, I thought he would die seasons ago. And unfortunately it looks like Batista will be the new Doakes/ LaGuerta (what a poor substitute). As for Masuka, he is only comic relief, but I like him, so I'm hoping at least something good is done with him. I didn't know that Jamie was becoming a regular cast member, that makes me really sad.

As with the first point, Hannah was great last season, but too much of her this season and the show runs the risk of devoting too much time to a character that's only been in the series for a handful of episodes (at the expense, perhaps, of those poor secondary characters). I want to see her, but not have her character control everything that happens in the last season, so I think for me personally to see her in 4 -7 episodes this season would be fine.

On dialling back the murders of the week, or stand alone episodes, this is my philosophy for all television. I enjoy serialised dramas much much more than episodic ones, but I think Dexter has always being extremely balanced when it comes to having both (otherwise I wouldn't like it so much), so I'm not too worried about this aspect.

I like dark. Dark television is good. And I would absolutely love for the final season to take the 'everything and the kitchen skin' philosophy, but somehow I doubt it will get as crazy as you might like Cory. Not sure if I want Dexter to die or not, all in all I'm just interested in seeing the final chapter of this amazing show. I really wish it had gone on for a few more seasons, one of the few shows whose plot really had potential for longevity (which the great season seven proves).
More+
Flag
"And it's just staggering that Quinn is still alive"...lol. Brilliant article. yes more Hannah! some of the comments I see obsessed with Dexter and Deb getting together blah blah blah are disturbing bordering on obsessive. Hannah is a brilliant character, as you say a wild card that has no rules, really the only other character that is unknown, except maybe Quinn ironically, who just gets to bang stripper and take money. Having said that, would be interesting if he does kill her to see how he feels about killing one of his own, i`m not sure he felt that way about Arthur, but he dosent have respect for any of his kills. Giving Masuka substance is a good idea, and yes! he needs to face the consequences, weve had 7 season...s..well lets not count 5 or 6 eh? ....of fun so lets see an adult ending. y`all are still gunna be watching GoT next season, right?
Flag
although having said that would be interesting if he is somehow "cured" and one of his victims is researching him and puts him on the table......dark and twisted!
Flag
i always thought that dexter would end up dead by his own method of killing , wrapped in plastic cut into pieces , and that almost happened to him in previous season .. i wouldn't mind see a bad ending for dexter , but i will be happy to see a good ending for an anti-hero ..

though i am pretty sure deb would be killed this season , it fits the storyline and the ending of the series

Flag
i just hope we get some kind of closure.
in my opinion dexter has to face the consequences and hopefully in a way that helps deb move on.
and please, more hannah!

Flag
I want a happy ending for Dexter but I have a bad feeling he's gonna end up wrapped in plastic himself and killed off. Probably by Deb...
Flag
Oh man, that would be awesome!
Flag
I agree
Flag
Regardless of our attachment to the character, the dude's a killer (& I happenz to luvs Mr. Morganz & his "out of the box" sense of justice) that said, the dude needs to die at the end because that is the speed society works with. Let him live & there will be too much blowback from people who will be angry for getting what they really want & ultimately won't appreciate the shallow, personal guilt that comes the next day after its all over
Flag
Staff
Yeah, I'm definitely attached to Dexter as a character. But that doesn't mean he's free of consequence, ya know?
Flag
I do believe that Dexter has to pay for his seven years of murderous rampage. In the beginning Dexter believed he was incapable of human feelings. Harry instilled in him that he would always be a killer and showed him how to survive, but taught Dexter to pretend to have feelings. Dexter over the years learned that he did actually have feelings after all and was capable of loving Rita and the kids. He cares about Deb, even though sometimes he had to tell himself " I will not kill my sister". Dexter still has a way to go but before the season's end Dexter has another thing to discover, that he really is human after all.

Deb and Dexter's relationship should be the focus of the season, and I really don't need the murder of the week. It will be interesting to see how they evolve.

Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
I know that he's kinder than your average killer. I do get wanting him to win fighting for redemption. But he is a serial killer when it all boils down to it. Is there redemption in this type of business? My struggle with wanting redemption and/or darkness is what I'm looking forward to this final season.
Flag
BEST ORIGINAL SHOW I HAVE EVER SEEN! Can't wait for the premiere yes sad that it's ending, but being the end I hope there are many twists and turns that has us guessing until the last 15 min. If it does achieve that goal and gives us viewers a very satisfying ending, then this show goes to the top of my list as the best show I have ever seen and will be the only show I will buy the special edition series box set that I hope is released. Sunday cannot come soon enough.
Flag
Hannah yes. Deb/Dex yes. Deb being in an downward emotional spiral throughout the entire season please no. Final season having a sense of "Scorched Earth MotherF\/cker" Hells yes. Really looking forward to this final season and the amount of blood this show will soon produce.
Flag
EDIT ADD - I too still don't believe Hannah poisoned Deb even though she admitted it.
Flag
Just want to say, the new website look is amazing!!
But still... no edit button :(

Flag
Oh edit button, you saved my internet life. I glad they're updating though. My log in is still a bit shady. Hope that changes with the new updates soon.
Flag
Staff
This comment has been removed.
Flag
I thought Hannah ended up being one of the things that held the latest season of Dexter back. She was interesting at first, but I eventually grew tired of her, and saw her as a distraction to the main story. Quinn is one of the worst tv characters of all time, and the show always comes to a screeching halt whenever he is on. I like Batista, but they haven't done too many interesting things with him for awhile now. Masuka is the only side character that is utilized correctly, and that's why no one can really hate him. I agree with one of the reviews for the upcoming season in that there isn't a whole lot more we can expect from Dexter the character, so the drama is mostly going to fall on Deb's shoulders. She's the one I'm looking forward to the most, and I think she's been the real star of the show since last season.
Flag
Completely agree with you, Cory. The Deb/Dex stuff is what put last season back on the map and less focus on secondary characters and cases of the week will help keep this final season strong (seriously, though, WHY is Quinn still alive? He's SOOOO useless!)

Unfortunately it doesn't sound like Dexter follows this as there is still secondary plots for everyone. Hopefully they'll be resolved quickly and/or folded into the major drama .

Excited for Charlotte Rampling though - MILD SPOILER her job in developing the code should bring things full circle END SPOILER
Flag
No Happy Endings? Negative, are we?
Flag
Staff
Not a particularly sunny show is it?
Flag
It's filled with lollipops and double rainbows
Flag
Honestly I think the deconstruction of Deb is the most interesting aspect of the final season. We know how Dexter reacts to extreme stress and other than devolving more I'm not certain how much juice can be squeezed from that, but Deb has had the very foundations of her life obliterated and seeing where she goes from here (provided it isn't lame and/or cliche) is the most compelling arc to explore.
Flag
Staff
I couldn't agree more. Though, after watching the premiere today, I'll say I'm surprised at how they handle this.
Flag
Wow, you impossible tease! I'm totally jealous right now. Way to dangle that out there. Cannot wait until Sunday to see where this goes.
Flag
I want Dexter to finally realise/give in to his true lone wolf killer self and leave on his lonesome in the end. People have just got in the way of that self and all connections are those imposed by societal norms and not part of Dexter's true makeup. His killer imperative has always eventually subsumed all other ties to conventional humanity, so let's see him disengage and unleash a real killer finish.
Flag
Staff
I feel like he either leaves town on the run or dies. No prison, right?
Flag
No way mate. Prison's been done to death and so it would be for Dexter. I mean, it's not like he can kill 'em all inside is it!
Flag
unless he kils in prison..and the warden usus him as im still convinced Matthews...then eventually Harry..did.Plenty of people to research in there! haha ! :P
Flag
WHOA WHOA! Anyone who doesn't think, know or know WHY Season 6 was the second best season of the series is a FOOL! The only pass I'll give anyone for hating on it is the sub par ending. But the whole DDK thing was on point and came at the EXACT right time.
Flag
Staff
Season six of Dexter is literally one of the worst seasons of a supposedly good show ever. Period.
Flag
Real talk dude! I don't even know where to start. So many reasons that season was garbage. My personal favorite: OMG you guyz surely they didn't do the.. "it's really me/him, not him/me killing thing right?

Oh ok they did? Shit! Well surely they made up for the cliche,obvious,overused, plot twist right? No? SHIT.. umm were any of the sub-stories good? *glares at the three headed snake Quinn/Batista/Masuka* = season 6 of Dexter.
Flag
We skipped it (and most of 5) and it didn't make a lick of difference. You shouldn't be able to do that if it's a great season, so we're with Cory on this one
Flag
EJ Olmos criminally wasted, not a fan of Hanks in the slightest...though have to say the angel scene and the horse mannequins are prob the most imaginative things ive seen on it for a while. People guessed about EJ almost immedaitely..and...NO SCREEN TIME BETWEEN HIM AND MC HALL! unforgiveable!
Flag
I don't know, I could see myself enjoying Dexter in prison and his power dynamic there. He would definitely manipulate himself into being the top-dog. Plus his whole murder ritual would have to change, and that would be unsettling for him but exciting for us. Of course, I think they should have done that a while ago and the show would have been over by now.

I do find Deb's obsession with Dexter interesting but mostly creepy. Does anyone else find it weird how that therapist totally brainwashed her into 'admitting' it? I don't know...

I will definitely watch no matter what, but
PLEASE keep the annoying side characters to a minimum.

Also, LaGuerta was a horrible person and totally deserved to die, so no tears there.
Flag
Staff
Deb's time in therapy and the subsequent admission of her romantic feelings in Dexter never totally worked for me.
Flag
On the Deb therapist thing, did you think that when it aired, or do you think she was manipulated now thinking back on it? At the time I only thought the therapist was pushing a patient to vocalize her issues, but after a season of Hannibal now I kinda think maybe she "pushed" an slightly unstable Deb onto even shakier ground. Before Hannibal it would not have occurred to me that a therapist might manipulate a patient for kicks.
Flag
to be honest i always though that she was struggling to get Deb to open up, and seemed to kind of guess! lol and LaurenAmster right with you on the prison idea!
Flag
I thought the therapist thing seemed forced even back then. I still don't completely buy it. I get that Dex is the only real relationship she's ever had, including her father who ignored her in favor of an adopted son, but it doesn't have to be sexual. Plus, super awkward since the actors are divorced in real life.

Another angle to the prison idea, his fame would be intense. There would be all these crazy women wanting to marry him, reporters wanting the true story and interviews, maybe even an NBK thing with Hannah in her women's prison. A trippy show within a show about Dexter's life with a 'dark passenger' and a younger actor portraying him.

I also wish they hadn't killed off his brother so quickly, they could have gotten a lot more mileage out of that plot, he was a very charismatic character.

Side note: Will Dex's son end up a serial killer? Can Deb become a killer, Lumen brought up the question but she was able to work it out of her system. Can you acquire the ability to kill without remorse like a habit?

And, I'm not against a happy ending for Dex, but it is totally unrealistic that he will stop killing, that is not in the cards for him.
More +
Flag
Prison would be insanely good! in a bad sort of way. Also agree about Biney, so much screen time wasted!I personally think maybe it`s a traumatic effect enough to set Deb off as a killer, especially as she has the "love" thing floating about in her head, the shock of finding out about Dex and the principles shes had to betray to protect him. its plausible at least!
Flag
Let's kill off Hannah please pretty please!! i also hoped for Lumen to come back but that's not gonna happen so.. i wish for Deb to recover as much as possible,enugh to take care of Harrison once all goes down (unless she'll go down too!fuck no). For Dex it's not that i want to, but it's inevitable a tragic ending whether he gets caught or dies, the happiest ending would be him running away but i'm not a fan of that idea...
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members