Dexter

Do You See What I See

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Dec 09, 2012 on Showtime

7.8
  • Past, Christmas Present, and Future

Dexter begins to see a potential future with Hannah and things seem to be going his way when the man that ordered the hit on his mother, Hector Estrada, is brought up for parole and Dex sees it as a great holiday gift to himself. Deb gets into an automobile accident after having taken too many anti-anxiety meds which is coincidentally how Hannah said Sal Price would've gone out if he hadn't stopped at Dexter's. Deb was visited by Hannah that night before the accident when Hannah said that she wanted to mend fences between them since Dexter will be in both of their lives from now on. Dexter tests a bottle of water that Deb was drinking from the night she got into the accident after she seems quite positive that Hannah poisoned her. Dexter finding the anxiety meds in the water bottle seem conclusive enough which makes him question if he can ever really trust Hannah even though when he confronts her she denies it. There's no way to be sure but I think Deb did it to herself although I don't remember if Dexter told Deb about how Sal Price was supposed to go out but nonetheless it makes Dexter decide that he would always think it was Hannah when Deb was targeted since she's the only one who is actively going after her. I wasn't really worried for Hannah's witness to her poisoning the counselor since she is a junkie and in a murder trial Hannah's right that any law student could discredit her with her past drug abuse. Dexter gives Deb the tip of the pen laced with the poison Hannah used to kill Sal and Hannah is taken away and her saying "You should've killed me" was heartbreaking since she has been so integral in Dex's life this season and she would rather die than live in a world where Dexter betrayed her. Meanwhile, the other fantastic part of the episode was Matthews questioning Dexter about being the BHB. Dexter concocting the story of Doakes having a boat and then he and Deb buying one and setting it up to look like he kept it hidden to dispose of bodies was a great tag. Although if Matthews is actually more manipulative than he seems and is on LaGuerta's side and only tricking Dexter with the good cop act. But LaGuerta isn't convinced since Dexter is a forensics expert and when Dexter approaches Estrada as a guy needing to offload narcotics to a guy who knows people they set up a meet. That night they meet in a shipping container and Dex injects him as typical and Dexter lets himself be known, "Dickie Moser" but Estrada accuses him of being in on his death with "that cop bitch" which gives Dexter pause and he is told that LaGuerta pushed Estrada's parole up to trap Dexter into the kill. LaGuerta had uniforms tailing Estrada and arrives on the scene to see the kill room, hopefully Dex didn't leave any trace evidence behind in his rush to leave and when he is escorting Estrada away Estrada dives into the ocean and Dexter manages to sneak away too though without his kill. There's a lot to deal with next week, and I don't even need to go into the Quinn finding out Nadia moved and was too hurt to tell him the truth thing. But Batista I hope will get out alive and retire happily to be a restauranteur since there are very few options left for Deb, Dex, and LaGuerta without life altering consequences folding in on them. By far the best episode of Season 7 and one that refreshes how Dexter can still surprise and be enthralling as he dances with the cat and mouse with LaGuerta now. The next episode being titled "Surprise Motherf**ker" makes me think that Doakes may have kept more on Dexter than we believed and may have just the nail to put Dexter in the prison coffin.