Dexter Forums

Showtime (ended 2013)

Dexter good guy or bad guy

MadManRob

[1]Oct 28, 2006
    • level: 18

What are your thoughts on if Dexter is a good guy or a bad guy

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

desertsmiss

[2]Oct 29, 2006
    • level: 14
    Neither. He is a guy with an addiction that out of luck (and because he had an understanding father) managed to channel his "special needs" to stopping criminals and not killing innocent people. I don't think we can call him either good or bad. He is...special.

mrn71

[3]Oct 29, 2006
    • level: 55
    He's what you would call an anti-hero. (From wikipedia: An anti-hero in today's books and films will perform acts generally deemed "heroic," but will do so with methods, manners, or intentions that may not be heroic.)

DubCThang

[4]Oct 29, 2006
    • level: 4
    For some weird reason at first i felt he was sick n he was just another killer but for some reason after watching all 4 episodes n really understanding what is behind what he does he is almost like a super hero in my eyes now ... i think he is definatly a good guy

MadManRob

[5]Oct 29, 2006

DubCThang wrote:
    For some weird reason at first i felt he was sick n he was just another killer but for some reason after watching all 4 episodes n really understanding what is behind what he does he is almost like a super hero in my eyes now ... i think he is definatly a good guy
    mrn71 wrote:
    He's what you would call an anti-hero. (From wikipedia: An anti-hero in today's books and films will perform acts generally deemed "heroic," but will do so with methods, manners, or intentions that may not be heroic.)
    desertsmiss wrote:
    Neither. He is a guy with an addiction that out of luck (and because he had an understanding father) managed to channel his "special needs" to stopping criminals and not killing innocent people. I don't think we can call him either good or bad. He is...special.

I to think he is a Hero fair enough he is a bit drawn towards his special need to kill but he puts it to good and effective use when riding Miami of the criminal trash that escapes the law, i hope you peeps continue to enjoy Dexter as much as i do

Long live serial serial killers lol

CWHunter

[6]Oct 29, 2006
    • level: 10
    Well, I say he is a good guy. But if his father never "tamed" him then he would probably have become a bad guy. I say he is a good guy because he does good by ridding society of criminals who escape justice. Those of you who point out he is still a sociopath and could kill other people if he chooses too forget that it is irrelevant because the debate is over whether he does good or he does bad, and he clearly is only doing good at the moment. Of course, that can change but since it is a tv show and people would rather tune in too see good then evil, it is highly unlikely.
    Edited on 10/29/2006 7:21am

leary

[7]Oct 29, 2006
    • level: 3
    I think he's a good guy getting rid of the bad guys. 

Phaker

[8]Oct 29, 2006
    • level: 7
    Dexter is a mad killer! He values human life like value the life of germs. If we left Dexter in a perfect happy world he would unquestionably be a villian. Sooner or later Miami is going to run out of serial killers. He is just useful in getting rid of trash, its like if a forest fire sets the dump on fire: sure that one way to get rid of the trash, but it wont be contained forever.
    But as long as he is useful it balances out.

noahcrash

[9]Oct 30, 2006
    • level: 19
    Dexter is a such a delicious mix of both!

SleepTight

[10]Oct 30, 2006
    • level: 36
    I vote for good. call me what you want, but if I were him, i'd do the same.

Phaker

[11]Oct 30, 2006
    • level: 7
    If you were a complusive killer you would kill people the same way?

MadManRob

[12]Oct 30, 2006

Phaker wrote:
    If you were a complusive killer you would kill people the same way?

Dexter dose kill all his targets the same way and dumps the bodys in the same place, but hes still fights for the good side so keep up the good work Dexter lol

SleepTight

[13]Oct 31, 2006
    • level: 36
    exactly. if I were as smart and had all his skills, i'd do the same.

bmoshier

[14]Nov 2, 2006
    • level: 46

If you believe the ends can justify the means, then Dexter is a bad guy who does good things because of the code of Harry.

----

BTW, I better do it quick because as a Red Shirted Lt., I hear Captain Kirk wants me to beam down with him on the next planet. Let me check . . . will in place - check, letter home to my sweet heart of a guy - check, personal log up to date - check, funeral arrangements made - check, last confession scheduled - check, etc.

leary

[15]Nov 4, 2006
    yes he takes human life and thats not good no matter what, but he's taking the lives of people how take innocent peoples lives. If someone killed you and got away with it wouldn't  you wont something done about it before that person killed someone else that didn't deserve to die!!!

bmoshier

[16]Nov 5, 2006
    leary wrote:
    yes he takes human life and thats not good no matter what, but he's taking the lives of people how take innocent peoples lives. If someone killed you and got away with it wouldn't you wont something done about it before that person killed someone else that didn't deserve to die!!!

First let me say I'm not a fan of the death penalty, but I support it in some cases.  I'm a believer in LIFE without the possibility of parole / release.

If someone killed me and got away with it, I'd hope the person and Dexter would meet up one night.  But my first choice would be for the person to sit in prison for LIFE.  Sometimes death is the easy way out and I wouldn't want my killer to have it easy.

As for forgivenness, I'm already prepared to forgive my killer (should that occur to me).  This doesn't mean I don't want justice done in this life.

leary

[17]Nov 5, 2006

Thats cool I respect that, but I do believe that if you kill someone in some way then the killer should die the some way, as far as the death penalty go's I don't believe in it I agree there just looking for a way out. Im sick of turning on the news to find out another murder has happened with the killer still on the lose and most of them get away. Call me what you wont, but sometimes you half to fight fire with flame.

bmoshier

[18]Nov 5, 2006
    I've been thinking about methods of execution.
    1. IMHO, executions MUST be public for anyone to watch.  As for an age limit, I'd say it should be as young as the state allows a DA to charge a child as an adult.  Plus viewing an execution by video should be necessary before high school graduation.
    2. The method of execution should be slow and memorable by the public and/or the inmate.  The disadvantage is passing the 8th amendment test but it might be possible to argue the case successfully.
    My other thought is a very quick execution such as a bomb powerful enough to vaporize an human body.

Gilmoreism

[19]Nov 6, 2006
    • level: 37
    Guys no offense, but let's stay on Topic of Dexter, and not go off on political tangents that have the possibility of turning into a flame war i.e. Beliefs about the Death Penalty.

mrn71

[20]Nov 6, 2006
    • level: 55
    I think the show does want you to root for Dexter. He is a cop so he is a productive member of society, and he only kills other serial killers - not those who kill by accident or in the heat of passion.