Dexter Forums

Showtime (ended 2013)

Dexter good guy or bad guy

leary

[21]Nov 6, 2006
    • level: 3
    The only point I was making is that I really dont think Dexter is a bad guy and that he only kills bad people I wasen't getting off topic sorry that you think I was.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

bmoshier

[22]Nov 6, 2006
    • level: 47

Gilmoreism wrote:
    Guys no offense, but let's stay on Topic of Dexter, and not go off on political tangents that have the possibility of turning into a flame war i.e. Beliefs about the Death Penalty.

I'm sorry and stand corrected.  But, let me say Harry directed Dexter to be an "execution" machine . . . (in some cases judge, DA, jury, and executioner).

bmoshier

[23]Nov 6, 2006
    • level: 47

leary wrote:
    The only point I was making is that I really dont think Dexter is a bad guy and that he only kills bad people I wasen't getting off topic sorry that you think I was.

Don't forget two wrongs don't make a right.  A serial killer preying on other serial killers may sound delightly and apropriate (at least I enjoy it), but it's the same as a thief who steals from other criminals.

I wonder how NYPD-Blue's Andy judge Dexter (assuming he knew everything we know).

CWHunter

[24]Nov 6, 2006
    • level: 10
    Gilmoreism wrote:
    Guys no offense, but let's stay on Topic of Dexter, and not go off on political tangents that have the possibility of turning into a flame war i.e. Beliefs about the Death Penalty.

Yes. This is reminding me of the Jericho boards, which led into a HUGE political debate.

Otaku201

[25]Nov 19, 2006
    • level: 4
    By my beliefs I'd call him good. He keeps evil from doing harm to more innocent people. Death is sometimes an easy way out, but so far I think the criminals he's chosen justified killing them.

ITK103

[26]May 16, 2007
    • level: 1
    Dexter is NOT a good guy. I am not anti-Dexter, I love him. He is not good because I wouldn't matter to him if he killed bad or innocent people. It was arry who made him into a vigilante. Realisticly he is not bad either. He can't help it.

JamesL007

[27]May 16, 2007
    • level: 2

Good Guy, Nuff Said.

YuDee

[28]May 18, 2007
    • level: 3
    I agree on the anti-hero and that he is special. At first I also thought he was sick and now after a while I am getting more fond of him and thinks what he does is ok. We all have a little way of wanting to take justes in our own hands. He is the one that does it. So nothing wrong with getting rid of murderers in the world I think. For instance when he gave that boy a chance since he knew that the boy killed a man who raped him. That was something I found was nice of him to do.

rhbrand

[29]May 18, 2007
    • level: 5

Dexter is either a very bad, good guy  or a very good bad guy!

NeoWilson

[30]May 19, 2007
    • level: 11
    A very bad guy with a very good motive

Milla99

[31]May 19, 2007
    • level: 12
    rhbrand wrote:

Dexter is either a very bad, good guy  or a very good bad guy!

Good point!   

A good person would not kill his own brother. Actually a good person would not kill anybody, but if you save a life of an innocent person by killing a bad guy, than why not...

fallenepitaph

[32]May 20, 2007
    • level: 13
    he's the good guy but not as good as you and i

manilapax

[33]May 22, 2007
    Dexter is the perfect example of situational ethics -- what he does would normally be unacceptable, but it seems acceptable under the circumstances -- getting rid of really bad people who would keep doing really bad things if not stopped. i think it speaks highly of Michael C. Hall's acting skills that he can make the character so ambiguous and still so likeable.

staind47

[34]May 22, 2007
    • level: 13

Good Guy. First off, he always makes dead certain that his target is guilty and deserves punishment. Second, death may be a easy way out for those criminals but its more justifying than getting off in 6months for good behaviour. Third, he prevents those people from doing those terrible things again, which in most episodes, was clear that most would do it again. Granted he kills because of his need to kill, but hey, he's using it for good. In the real world most people, including me, would praise him for what he's done. . . . . like the last shot in the last episode. That was such a cool ending. anyone agree?

Plus, when push comes to shove, I dont think Dexter would ever kill an innocent person........he might be tempted though, but he wont do it.

Edited on 05/22/2007 5:05am

Libaax

[35]May 23, 2007
    • level: 8

I think he is a good anti hero. I mean he knows he is sick and cant stop doing what he does and he takes out on killers instead of innocent people.  It would be easy for him to stop caring about his father's code and become a real seriel killer but he doesnt do that.

Also he has shown he is becoming more humane in that he is starting to feel for his sister and girlfriend. He doesnt fake it anymory when it comes to them. Hehe he even enjoyed having sex with Rita.

Edited on 05/23/2007 11:08am

Kyshi

[36]May 27, 2007
    • level: 5

Dexter is a sociopathic, cold-blooded serial killer who plays God...he's the judge & jury and people pay with their lives. So, gonna have to go with bad guy, lol.

That's not to say that he doesn't rid the world of some evil folks -- but two evils do not make a "good".

That said, I'm addicted to Dexter and the fact that we're even having this discussion only goes to show what a brilliant program this is!

Jezzen

[37]May 28, 2007
    • level: 10

I'd go with bad guy, too. Sure, he kills bad guys because the system doesn't take care of them, but that doesn't justify his actions. If Jeremy hadn't told him the boy he killed had raped him and that was the reason for his deed, Dexter would have killed Jeremy (ep3).

Still love the show though.

lofwyr_007

[38]Jun 1, 2007

If the ends justify the means then Dex is a good guy(the results of his "work" are beneficial to society at large).  However, the ends do not always justify the mean and the world is significantly more complex than a binary 'good/bad'.  Dexter certainly isn't the worst person around(the fact he finds so many worse people to kill proves that) but he doesn't qualify as the best person either.  He fits squarely in the middle somewhere, maybe even edging a little towards the 'better' side of the scale. 

So by the confines of the question I'd say Dex is ever so slightly more good than bad.

BTW, I'd personally say that numerous corporate criminals/politicians are worse than any of the people Dex has encountered in the show.  Sure he deals with true blue serial killers, but they affect a much smaller number of people than those high powered suits.  In the end it's all subjective.

Edited on 06/01/2007 11:44am

Sheytan

[39]Aug 9, 2007
    • level: 7

Like the others have already said Dexter is a anti-hero

freddyflip

[40]Aug 9, 2007
    • level: 12
    He is a good guy. Maybe a sort of ant-hero as someone mentioned. Anyways, I think it is pretty obvious since he is dealing with his problem in a way that helps the greater good instead of just being this sick/twisted serie killer. Thanks to the code!!!