Dexter Forums

Showtime (ended 2013)

Dexter good guy or bad guy

LostSux

[41]Aug 10, 2007
    • level: 6
    Definitely bad guy. The wrong thing done for the right reason is still a wrong thing.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

idefix7

[42]Aug 18, 2007
    • level: 5
    Imo bad, no question.
    If he were to life in a world where no one exists who deserved to be killed he would still kill.

I'm not saying I don't like him... but if you ask a black and white question - he is definitely not good so he must be bad.

pumpkinhead2

[43]Aug 22, 2007
    • level: 7

I get the impression that he could go either way.

One weak moment could see him cross the line.

bookwench

[44]Sep 8, 2007
    Um, this is going to sound funny, but can people ever be good or bad intrinsicly? Or do they merely have good and bad intentions, good and bad actions? People with the most horrific track records are also capable of acts of grace, and people who are usually utterly gentle sometimes act in ways that would appal the toughest thug. Dexter is good with Rita's children, good at acting responsably, good at foot rubs. Dexter is bad at understanding emotions, bad at resisting violent impulses, and bad at communication. But even then good and bad are floating reference points which depend entirely on the person using them - my definition of good might be vastly different from yours, and both of us might be utterly different again from a third person. In fact, that's usually the case - hence our major court battles over social issues.

mcmarty87

[45]Oct 14, 2007
    • level: 1
    I think that if you know a killer is gonna kill again, and the law does nothing, kill him.
    I think it is naive to think that uncle blue is gonna get every bad guy out there.

THERE IS NO SANTA, THOOT FARY OR EASTER BUNNY.

P.S. if you diden't get it, Dexter is in my opinion good

Alnar

[46]Oct 14, 2007
    • level: 5
    You simply cant stick your own labels on things that have a nature of their own. "Good and bad" came out of fear, defining and restricting something gives the illusion that its in control and known. A person is not good or evil, he simply cant be so in a permanent sense. Anybody is capable of "good" and "bad" actions. In many cases the action that is good from one view is also bad from another, because the approaches are often too personal, very subjective. Killing however is something even objectively put under "bad". This does not make Dexter a bad person, it does however make him a doer of bad action.

blond-moment

[47]Oct 14, 2007

Dexter is definately damaged, but he tries to use his problem for good, thanks to his father. Thats the thing about Dexter he tries, he tries to be normal, he tries to fit in, he tries to live up to the code, he tries.

UltraTraveler

[48]Oct 14, 2007
    • level: 9
    There is no clear line to judge him becuase lives of others would be worse without him. But his froster father raised him well. He is bad to have this addiction of butchering lives. He is good to put this addiction in favor of the society, erasing "trashes". For now, I'll say he's a force of nature.

dexter24

[49]Oct 15, 2007
    • level: 2
    Now that is the question of the year..... Dexter a good guy or bad guy? We tie....50/50!

tvlvr4lfe

[50]Oct 16, 2007
    • level: 8

I have a hard time with this question. On one hand I think he is a good guy on the other hand what he does his actions aren't good. I don't know I am on the fence.

Huntyr

[51]Oct 17, 2007

Disregarding for a moment the law, if we take good and bad as a balance, then Dexter has to be classified as a good guy.

He takes the life of those that would in the future kill more people, so, in effect, he is savings lives by taking them. As an absolute good/bad equation, there are more people living because of Dexter, and the balance tilts even further if you classify his kills as bad people and the people he saves as good.

Those that claim if there were no bad guys he would kill good people I respond - How do you know? He has a compulsion, yes, but we have never seen him kill a person without an absolute certainty that they were evil. If there were no targets left... Maybe his moral high-road collapses a bit and he starts to kill people who are only a little bad (Rapists, Armed Robbers, etc), or maybe he moves to a different area, or maybe he follows through with the addiction therapy and tries to kick his "habit".

FCBarca

[52]Oct 18, 2007
    • level: 15
    Huntyr wrote:

Disregarding for a moment the law, if we take good and bad as a balance, then Dexter has to be classified as a good guy.

He takes the life of those that would in the future kill more people, so, in effect, he is savings lives by taking them. As an absolute good/bad equation, there are more people living because of Dexter, and the balance tilts even further if you classify his kills as bad people and the people he saves as good.

Those that claim if there were no bad guys he would kill good people I respond - How do you know? He has a compulsion, yes, but we have never seen him kill a person without an absolute certainty that they were evil. If there were no targets left... Maybe his moral high-road collapses a bit and he starts to kill people who are only a little bad (Rapists, Armed Robbers, etc), or maybe he moves to a different area, or maybe he follows through with the addiction therapy and tries to kick his "habit".

From a 'moral imperative' sense, anything can be rationalized...But taking life can't ever becategorized as a 'good' thing, regardless of whether the life taken was 'evil', dangerous or anything else.

Seems to me this is a pointless thread, there isn't any question Dexter is a bad guy...He's simply a bad guy rationalizing his psychosis.

UltraTraveler

[53]Oct 18, 2007
    LostSux wrote:
    Definitely bad guy. The wrong thing done for the right reason is still a wrong thing.

Actually, I think he's doing the right thing for the wrong reason.

Today's world is just too liberal... wasting tax payers' money on life-sentenced criminals. Gas chamber and injection are too easy. Let the punishments fit the crimes.

mc-duke

[54]Oct 19, 2007

In my opinion Dexter is one of the good guys. I don't really see a difference to characters like John McLane, John Rambo or James Bond. They also run around and kill the bad guys (often just some guys like soldiers who onyl do their job). And these guys kill hundreds of people in one movie. The only difference is the way they do it! ;-)

Duke

articnights

[55]Oct 20, 2007
    • level: 4
    leary wrote:
    I think he's a good guy getting rid of the bad guys. 

I have compassion and sympathy for Dexter - especially the teen dexter and the little innocent boy he once was.

bookwench

[56]Oct 28, 2007
    As a society we have determined that individuals cannot take lives but that the state can, and we have bound the state in clauses and restrictions as to when this can happen. Allowing the individual to make the decision as to when someone deserves death allows anyone to make that choice - no training or moral compass required - and that's all cool when you're the one killing, but sucky when you're the one being killed - a lot of people who are all gung-ho about revenge killing never put themselves in the position of the victim, but sympathize more with the killer. After all, we don't feel we've done anything to warrant death, how could anyone else even imagine it? Killers kill. If Dex had not been aimed towards killers as a child he would probably kill prostitutes like his brother - they're the number one target of serial homicide because they work a high-risk profession and have an interest in remaining invisible to the law, so unless the killer makes a statement and publicizes his work their disappearance is rarely investigated as thoroughly as a settled and low-risk person's is. Since Dex has been aimed, and his ritual is now deeply ingrained and satisfying to him, it's sort of up in the air weather he'd eventually cease killing until someone appropriate came along or transfer targets.

copur1982

[57]Oct 29, 2007
    Dexter is actually a good guy, but he is sick in the head. He shouldn't kill the killers because killing is not a good thing. Even if he usually is right, he really is not a good example for society. He should go to prison, maybe worse.

copur1982

[58]Oct 29, 2007
    And he is sick in the head because he has a urge to kill, he loves it most of the time.

UltraTraveler

[59]Oct 29, 2007
    The ideal vigilante is Batman. He doesn't kill. But the downside is that people keep getting hurted/killed and properties are destroyed because criminals keep getting out either via escape or release. It's due to the incompentence of Gotham authorities. But then again, Batman can only show his usefulness because the incompentence of Gotham authorities.

Yet, Dexter is not Batman. Dexter would probably be hated by the public (instead being praised now) if one of his victims is found out to be innocent. But it's a fat chance so far.

claudia40

[60]Oct 29, 2007
    So I wont lable him good or evil....but in reality I would be in NO rush to find him if he was ridding soceity of its worst