Dexter Forums

Showtime (ended 2013)

Dexter good guy or bad guy

  • Avatar of clearChicken

    clearChicken

    [61]May 19, 2008
    • member since: 05/11/08
    • level: 3
    • rank: Soup Nazi
    • posts: 7
    Dexter is not a good or a bad guy. He is stuck in a really bad situation that he has never had any control over. He is addicted to death. If it was a perfect world like idefix7 said then he wouldn't be a killer either as he would never have witnessed that chainsaw massacre. He can never be all bad because he uses his killing instinct to kill those who would kill innocents but he can never be good as he cannot understand what it means to be good. As he said 'He is Dexter'.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Tehodis

    Tehodis

    [62]May 28, 2008
    • member since: 05/28/08
    • level: 4
    • rank: Thighmaster
    • posts: 256
    He's obviously a bad guy - he kills people... But that doesn't mean he's not a good bad guy. He kills the people who deserves to die, and he's obviously slightly human because he didn't kill Deb. He's the bad guy you don't have to worry about unless you're a bad guy.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of hawksie

    hawksie

    [63]Jul 3, 2008
    • member since: 07/04/08
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 666
    Dexter is most definitely a good guy. Yes, he is a murderer. But think of all of the lives he saved. Whoever thinks he's a bad guy needs to get a more realistic view of the world. The killers/rapists/pedophiles he's weeding out of society would most likely never have been caught, and if they had been caught the chances of actually being prosecuted and sent to jail is VERY slim. If somehow they were sent to jail with a life sentence of 25 years, they'd probably get out in 10-15 due to overcrowding of the prisons. Statistics say 1/2 violent criminals, especially sexual predators will repeat offend. Go Dexter!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of igotbupkis

    igotbupkis

    [64]Jul 4, 2008
    • member since: 06/26/05
    • level: 28
    • rank: Disco Stu
    • posts: 245
    > What are your thoughts on if Dexter is a good guy or a bad guy

    This is absurd. He's an anti-hero, not a hero. He's definitely a bad guy, but he's one whose wrongness is channelled into something which, if not exactly "not evil", is at least beneficial to society, and therefore not without balancing merit.

    But anyone who takes justice into his own hands (barring the instance where there is no societal justice at all) is a bad guy. It's not even like he does it cleanly and without malice -- he quite evidently tortures his victims prior to executing them.

    If Batman actually executed his victims, that would make him bad -- he remains a good guy (even if his methods sometimes cross the line) because he doesn't consider himself judge, jury, and executioner.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of drrdheroe

    drrdheroe

    [65]Jul 5, 2008
    • member since: 10/14/07
    • level: 13
    • rank: Regal Beagle
    • posts: 393
    dexter is not a good guy but he isnt a bad guy , i mean he kills people because he likes it and makes him feel good but he is able to do it in an organized and fair way because he only kills other killers i dont think that what he does is good but i think its necessary . we dont live in a pretty world where all killers go to jail so in this crazy world and specially in a violent city like miami dexter is in a way necessary but lets not forget he is a psycho and if he ever stops playing "by the book" and killing Innocent people he will be a villain but for now ... HE IS DEXTER
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of mackymacaspac

    mackymacaspac

    [66]Jul 6, 2008
    • member since: 11/05/07
    • level: 78
    • rank: MythBuster
    • posts: 3,772
    I think Dexter goes beyond the question of being a good or bad guy. He's just built the way he is and he acts accordingly. But I'd like to think he's just a person like everyone else. He's got a good heart -- as seen with how he treats his sister, his friends, Rita, and the kids. You just don't want to be an acquitted killer roaming around in Miami.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of silverculex

    silverculex

    [67]Jul 17, 2008
    • member since: 12/01/04
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 1

    Here's what I think.

    He's a bad guy killing bad guys. The main reason he kills is because he's addicted to it. Not because he wants to help society or anything like that. If he was perfectly normal he wouldn't be running around butchering bad guys. Maybe he would try to help catch them at best, but keep in mind that even his job is just a tool for him to easily carry out his deeds.

    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the number 1 reason he continues to only pick other killers as targets is to protect is own skin...to not break the code which ultimately serves to protect him. He's smart so he knows not to cross that line even when he's tempted to.

    So I think it's obvious that Dexter isn't doing what he does out of good will or to save innocent lifes. His dad wanted that, Dexter just follows what he's been taught. He's just channeling his inner monster...and he's defintely a bad guy. =P

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of tinka023

    tinka023

    [68]Jul 18, 2008
    • member since: 06/25/08
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 62

    i agree with the person who said he was an anti-hero, a guy who does heroic things using unheroic methods. kinda like the government only they get innocent people too! somtimes this world is a bit unfair an depressing. i feel ive gone off point a little.

    i love Dexter anyways

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of WuKeSong

    WuKeSong

    [69]Jul 19, 2008
    • member since: 06/02/08
    • level: 3
    • rank: Soup Nazi
    • posts: 30
    That's a useless question, to say the least. One of the interests of the show is precisely to question this kind of distinction, to put us in the place of a character who is "beyond good and evil", in his own personnal way. And why do you want to decide, anyway ? Dexter's Dexter, and as his brother said, he's not a monster, he's just a very f**d up human being.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of tinka023

    tinka023

    [70]Jul 21, 2008
    • member since: 06/25/08
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 62

    WuKeSong wrote:
    That's a useless question, to say the least. One of the interests of the show is precisely to question this kind of distinction, to put us in the place of a character who is "beyond good and evil", in his own personnal way. And why do you want to decide, anyway ? Dexter's Dexter, and as his brother said, he's not a monster, he's just a very f**d up human being.

    i was going to say somthing like that but i thought i would go with the spirt of the forum and write somthing relevent and inkeeping with the pointless topic

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Ericastarlight

    Ericastarlight

    [72]Mar 10, 2011
    • member since: 03/11/11
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 2

    tinka023 wrote:


    WuKeSong wrote:
    That's a useless question, to say the least. One of the interests of the show is precisely to question this kind of distinction, to put us in the place of a character who is "beyond good and evil", in his own personnal way. And why do you want to decide, anyway ? Dexter's Dexter, and as his brother said, he's not a monster, he's just a very f**d up human being.



    i was going to say somthing like that but i thought i would go with the spirt of the forum and write somthing relevent and inkeeping with the pointless topic




    I actually was on his side till the dreadful moment where he killed Lila ( just begged him not to!)!As, well, first she put the cabin where was locked sergent Doakes on fire for his sake(!!!), then he planned to kill her for having literally protected him ( and yes, he was the one wishing for a miracle, everything went well for him as she let the miracle to happen and what he does....really lame!), when she discovered what he planned to do to her ( his bag full of knives and all), naturally, she got angry and that's when she decided to set her house on fire with Dex and the kids in it (a really awful thing to do, yes, but she was enraged by what he reserved for her after having gone to such lengths for him!), sooo.... his fault here! Second, she had some serious issues yes, undoubtedly, but she wasn't evil,she wasn't a serial killer, at least before meating him!!!That's why nothing could justify what he did to her, I couldn't forgive him ever since!!!! Death was definitely not the good solution for her, he has to take into account other factors before condemning someone as it pleases him!!!!


    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Ericastarlight

    Ericastarlight

    [73]Mar 10, 2011
    • member since: 03/11/11
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 2

    mackymacaspac wrote:
    I think Dexter goes beyond the question of being a good or bad guy. He's just built the way he is and he acts accordingly. But I'd like to think he's just a person like everyone else. He's got a good heart -- as seen with how he treats his sister, his friends, Rita, and the kids. You just don't want to be an acquitted killer roaming around in Miami.



    Yes, he is good with his sister, Rita and the kids, that's why I managed to side with the character..... until the end of the second season! After this I somehow wished for him to get caught or sthg!!!Couldn't forgive him Lila's death, as he reached the summit of cruelty here!!!!She was an eccentric arsonist, but wasn't an evil blood-colded killer ( at least she didn't even try to kill anyone on purpose before meating him!) so she didn't fit his code, she just got on his nerves and living her alive was becoming inconvenient for him, that's why he decided to kill her, that's too cruel and lame....

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of tokelau17

    tokelau17

    [74]Apr 5, 2011
    • member since: 02/23/11
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 2
    Dexter is evil. Personally his very first murder in first episode gave me the creeps to the point that I stopped watching the show for over a year.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Mangalore

    Mangalore

    [75]Sep 11, 2011
    • member since: 03/21/06
    • level: 7
    • rank: Talk Show Host
    • posts: 234
    hawksie wrote:
    Dexter is most definitely a good guy. Yes, he is a murderer. But think of all of the lives he saved. Whoever thinks he's a bad guy needs to get a more realistic view of the world. The killers/rapists/pedophiles he's weeding out of society would most likely never have been caught, and if they had been caught the chances of actually being prosecuted and sent to jail is VERY slim. If somehow they were sent to jail with a life sentence of 25 years, they'd probably get out in 10-15 due to overcrowding of the prisons. Statistics say 1/2 violent criminals, especially sexual predators will repeat offend. Go Dexter!


    Dexter already killed innocent people and we only have his word that all the people he killed deserved it. Given he's a one man show one could quite easily question the thoroughness of his investigations if he's craving for the next kill. That's the reason in western countries the rule of law is of an importance even beyond the individual lives of victims or criminals. Not any one individual should have such power over the lives of others.

    And your point about sex offenders shows how wrong you are given that you are talking about people our societies currently does not deem worthy of being executed. Which might be flawed but shows that what you want is acts of vengeance above and beyond the law. Which is consider evil. And Dexter is after murderers only.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Ghost304

    Ghost304

    [76]Sep 12, 2011
    • member since: 08/31/07
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 5

    I think dex is in a dark place. yet at peace with who he is. the break up last season helped him realize that he can one day be normal just not right now also he has helped more then harmed. can he break loose from the dark passager? maybe just not yet maybe his son will help him he too has a passeger now and dex will need to be a harry. the new charcters are cool adds. eward james and hanks are looking like the new killers on the block. one thing is clear dex is closer to danger than ever before

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of MarkNash1

    MarkNash1

    [77]Nov 14, 2011
    • member since: 03/31/10
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 25

    Anti-hero is certainly the word for him.. its like anything.. what you focus on youempathizewith... you focus on the copsyou want them winning and getting the bad guy.. you focus on the bad guy and you feel his angst and want him to escape.


    The genius is that he is a killer.. but one who only kills bad people.. a wonderful moralambiguity... and all because of a code keeps him safe as much as it protects the innocent, total genius.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.