Dexter Forums

Showtime (ended 2013)

Dexter Season 5 Episode 1 "My Bad": Official Discussion Thread

skhplbliss

[1]Sep 27, 2010
    • level: 9

In all my many years of watching television, never had I been as shocked and distraught as I was when I watched Dexter discover Rita's body. It was so unexpected, so horrifying, it really altered my state of mind. The power of those few minutes showed the true depths of the show, the characters, and how unbelievably painful life can be.

And I felt the same way after watching this episode. Watching Dexter try and grapple with Rita's death was such a complex and emotionally raw experience that it chilled my body. This episode, and the season finale of season 4, have solidified, in my mind, the fact that Dexter has to be one of the top shows on television, possibly in its history.

That's my view on the episode. Let's open it up for discussion.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

elgarbanzo

[2]Sep 27, 2010
    • level: 5
    yeah, it's a good show...

but if you're distraught over fictional characters, you should probably break free from your tv and start living.

dex073

[3]Sep 27, 2010
    • level: 11

elgarbanzo wrote:
    yeah, it's a good show... but if you're distraught over fictional characters, you should probably break free from your tv and start living.

This topic is not about how people telling others how to live their life but about the dexter 501, don't say that man, i watch a lot of show and i still have a life

Anyway, i agree with skhplbliss that this episode was so emotional that it made me think dexter as one of the best tv show ever, i've never been so moved by such an excellent acting, everything in this episode was just perfect, it slowly introduced the story about the trinity case, the fbi will have an important role same as quinn, simply beautifull

Susan1961

[4]Sep 27, 2010
    • level: 6

EXACTLY! I couldn't move and I think I was holding my breath afterward. It was so shocking. This show just keeps getting better and better with each season. I am truly looking forward to Season 5!

D-LinkUK

[5]Sep 27, 2010
    • level: 24

So glad Dexter is back, loved the episode and looking forward to the rest of the season.

claudia40

[6]Sep 27, 2010

It is definetly one of my all time favorite shows and probably top5 fav eps of all my shows combined it was great!! I too was glued to the screen mouth ajar, fingers clenched it was so intense and very sad...I dont think I have ever been teary eyed with Dexter before, but his breakdown gut wrenching scream..wow it came back with a bang this season is setting up to be awesome. Im so happy about that especially since my other fav Supernatural had a blah return.

10/10

KamakaLo

[7]Sep 27, 2010
    • level: 22
    ^ Yeah that part where Dexter screams was a great scene and I also loved the scene where he said he loved Rita Another great episode to what looks like will be an amazing season! This show never lets me down.

OctoberGirl9

[8]Sep 27, 2010
    • level: 8
    Most of the time I complain about something...with this episode there was nothing I took in I didn't like. Everything just worked (I would say this was rare, and it is, just not on Dexter) proving again that this show has so much future to it. I might not be sure where season 5 is taking us but I'm up for the ride. 10/10

DrTrish197

[9]Sep 27, 2010
    • level: 18
    OMG This episode was A-mazing!!! Michael C. Hall at his best! So was Deb, all great acting! The story was beautifully and carefully threaded and we are in for a treat this season if the rest of the season is going to be like what we saw last night. Now onto some interesting points I have to mention. Now, for the record, I want to state that I do not base any of the things that I am about to say on spoilers because I do not care for spoilers and stay as far from them as possible. I recently did a rewatch of the entire series and watched last night's episode 3 times now. So all I am about to say is my own personal opinion. OK, so here's what I think of the situation. We all know Dexter didn't kill Rita, not possible so I'm not even going to speculate on the idea. However, I am giving serious thoughts as to whether it was Trinity or not. I don't think it was. Killing a married woman in a bathtub and leaving a baby in a pool of blood was not Trinity's MO. He has always killed single women in bathtubs and never left witnesses even if it was just a baby. However he has killed a married woman in a bathtub before (only one whose husband got convicted for the murder). We saw Deb interview the guy. But that was 30 years ago and most likely Trinity's first kill. The married woman was always the jumper, and she always had only 2 kids, not 3. Also, there was no mention of a smudge left in Rita's crime scene, nor was her finger pointing to anything. Now it could be that they just didn't mention to the viewers that there was a smudge, but they mentioned that in every single one of Trinity's kill why leave this one out? So with that in mind it leads me to believe that it must have been someone else who killed Rita. It could be one of 2 people: either someone who found out about who Dexter really is and is playing games with him, or someone from his past who would know the details of his mother's crime scene to stage it back in Dexter and Rita's place to make it look like it (hint what Dexter says at the end of season 4 "Born in blood both of us"). I think I need more information to pick which of the 2 it really is, so maybe another few episodes and we might get more clues. However, I am leaning towards the first one (someone who found out) because we've already got someone from his past coming back to haunt him (AKA Ice Truck Killer). I am so glad Dexter is back. It has been a long time waiting. Let the good times begin now.

drig44

[11]Sep 27, 2010
    • level: 4
    Only show I think was better then Dexter was Six Feet Under. Also starring Michael C. Hall.

Did anyone else laugh to themselves when he was in the funeral home?

tvfreakman

[12]Sep 27, 2010
    • level: 2

Loved the season premiere. Managed to get it on a web streaming site called www.webtvglobe.com. I liked the way Dexter reacts to his wife's death. It's always sort of struck me that Dexter is a sort of twised and deranged version of Pinochio trying to be a real boy. As usual there were no emotions at the start but eventually, he let out the only one he's still capable of: Rage! Hope to see the same quality writing and acting in this season as in the other 4 and I can't wait to see what's in store for my favorite serial-killer.

blackphonix

[13]Sep 27, 2010
    • level: 10

drig44 wrote:
    Only show I think was better then Dexter was Six Feet Under. Also starring Michael C. Hall. Did anyone else laugh to themselves when he was in the funeral home?
    Yep, totally! It was great little touch (intentional?). Excellent start to the new season, I was literally holding my breath when Dexter broke down after killing that guy.

television19

[14]Sep 27, 2010
    • level: 6

oh nooo.... why did they kill rita... they shouldnt have done that... i miss rita Cry

Love_Scrubs

[15]Sep 27, 2010
    • level: 10

An amazing episode. It was so great to see Rita in the flashbacks. I hope we see more. But, somehow i doubt it. Also the scene were Dexter tries to tell the children about Rita's death. Captured Dexter's emotional awkwardness so perfectly.

skhplbliss

[16]Sep 28, 2010
    DrTrish197 wrote:
    OMG This episode was A-mazing!!! Michael C. Hall at his best! So was Deb, all great acting! The story was beautifully and carefully threaded and we are in for a treat this season if the rest of the season is going to be like what we saw last night. Now onto some interesting points I have to mention. Now, for the record, I want to state that I do not base any of the things that I am about to say on spoilers because I do not care for spoilers and stay as far from them as possible. I recently did a rewatch of the entire series and watched last night's episode 3 times now. So all I am about to say is my own personal opinion. OK, so here's what I think of the situation. We all know Dexter didn't kill Rita, not possible so I'm not even going to speculate on the idea. However, I am giving serious thoughts as to whether it was Trinity or not. I don't think it was. Killing a married woman in a bathtub and leaving a baby in a pool of blood was not Trinity's MO. He has always killed single women in bathtubs and never left witnesses even if it was just a baby. However he has killed a married woman in a bathtub before (only one whose husband got convicted for the murder). We saw Deb interview the guy. But that was 30 years ago and most likely Trinity's first kill. The married woman was always the jumper, and she always had only 2 kids, not 3. Also, there was no mention of a smudge left in Rita's crime scene, nor was her finger pointing to anything. Now it could be that they just didn't mention to the viewers that there was a smudge, but they mentioned that in every single one of Trinity's kill why leave this one out? So with that in mind it leads me to believe that it must have been someone else who killed Rita. It could be one of 2 people: either someone who found out about who Dexter really is and is playing games with him, or someone from his past who would know the details of his mother's crime scene to stage it back in Dexter and Rita's place to make it look like it (hint what Dexter says at the end of season 4 "Born in blood both of us"). I think I need more information to pick which of the 2 it really is, so maybe another few episodes and we might get more clues. However, I am leaning towards the first one (someone who found out) because we've already got someone from his past coming back to haunt him (AKA Ice Truck Killer). I am so glad Dexter is back. It has been a long time waiting. Let the good times begin now.

That's actually an interesting point. I hadn't even considered the option that it wasn't Trinity, it was just so apparently obvious to me at the time that I overlooked all the counter-evidence. I'm really interested now in seeing how they all go about solving the case (i.e. the FBI). I am a bit disappointed in Deb though, what with her getting together with Quinn. She can definitely shoot higher.

haldrey

[17]Sep 28, 2010
    • level: 22
    Wow! If Dexter is not the best show around it is pretty close to it.

stforek

[18]Sep 28, 2010
    • level: 4
    i couldn't stop crying watching this episode.. omg...

tvfreakman

[19]Sep 28, 2010
    • level: 2

To Love_Scrubs Of course there'll be flashbacks. Dexter's dad has been dead since before the start of the series and he's part of the main cast.

krameriffic

[20]Sep 28, 2010
    • level: 7

Love_Scrubs wrote:

An amazing episode. It was so great to see Rita in the flashbacks. I hope we see more. But, somehow i doubt it. Also the scene were Dexter tries to tell the children about Rita's death. Captured Dexter's emotional awkwardness so perfectly.

The bulk of the episode did that for me. That's what I liked about it so much: it put Dexter on this amazingly contrasting background where he lacked the skills to pretend well enough. He didn't cry. His phone call sounded like a lab report. It barely phased him the whole episode until he bludgeoned the guy in the bathroom. It was... weird, but in a good way.