Dexter Forums

Showtime (ended 2013)

Dexter Season 5 Episode 1 "My Bad": Official Discussion Thread

Love_Scrubs

[21]Sep 28, 2010
    • level: 10

tvfreakman wrote:

To Love_Scrubs Of course there'll be flashbacks. Dexter's dad has been dead since before the start of the series and he's part of the main cast.

Flashbacks about Rita though? hmmmm

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

tvfreakman

[22]Sep 28, 2010
    • level: 2

You may have a point. I do recall reading an article about this season of Dexter being different from what we're used to though so you never know. Does anyone know if the actress is still in the cast? Is she in the credits?

DrTrish197

[23]Sep 29, 2010
    • level: 18
    tvfreakman wrote:

You may have a point. I do recall reading an article about this season of Dexter being different from what we're used to though so you never know. Does anyone know if the actress is still in the cast? Is she in the credits?

She is not a regular on the show anymore, her name has been removed from the opening credits and is now a guest star. The last episode is probably going to be the last we see of her. She is in a new show and is a main character, so we probably won't see her on Dexter anymore, which I am actually happy about cause I was never a fan of Rita.

Plonked

[24]Sep 29, 2010
    • level: 16

I am a HUGE Dexter fan and I got my hubby into it, we were both extremely bored with this slow episode. I really hope we get back to the proper Dexter real soon. Why couldnt Dexter pretend that he was upset and cried over the death of Rita like he has pretended with his other emotions in the other episodes.

crazyboy2737

[25]Sep 29, 2010
    • level: 4
    what an episode, what I really wanted to see was taking dexter to an investigation....maybe next episode..but the last part he said that dexter love rita which means he is human and he cant hide his true feelings for her.......R.I.P. Rita,

crazyboy2737

[26]Sep 29, 2010

hope next episode would be good...its getting better and better if dexter has another woman..hope shes prettier than rita..

DanielLin1

[27]Sep 29, 2010
    • level: 5

This episode is, as said, stunningly amazing. Reminds me of another after-death episode: award winning The Body from Buffy.

priyanthab

[28]Sep 29, 2010

Even and emotionally numb serial killer like Dexter has his breakdowns. No doubt we feel this episode more than any other on this brilliant series.

Me and my wife was just purely speechless for the first half of the show like it happened to someone that we know very well. That's what a great show is about.

priyanthab

[29]Sep 29, 2010
    It seems like you have not gasp who is Dexter correctly. Yes he is good at pretending but he loved Rita very much at the same time. His love for Rita was real. This makes him confused. Even he don't know which emotions he feel is true and which is not.

pumpkinhead2

[30]Sep 30, 2010
    • level: 7

A couple of nitpicks ...

Would the FBI not have searched Dexter's shed?

Also Dexter's killing of that redneck ... completely against the code and well ... just straight out murder.

skhplbliss

[31]Sep 30, 2010
    • level: 9
    DanielLin1 wrote:

This episode is, as said, stunningly amazing. Reminds me of another after-death episode: award winning The Body from Buffy.

I know what you mean man, but I feel like a better fit is with the Buffy episode Seeing Red. (SPOILER ALERT FOR BUFFY!) In that episode, Tara's death has someone to blame, whereas in The Body, Buffy can't blame anyone really because even though it was caused by what those monks did, they didn't directly cause it.

pumpkinhead2 wrote:

A couple of nitpicks ...

Would the FBI not have searched Dexter's shed?

Also Dexter's killing of that redneck ... completely against the code and well ... just straight out murder.

The FBI probably searched it, but he moved all of the "dangerous" things to the storage container which he already burned.
    And Dexter's killing of that redneck was against the code, and I'm trying to think of a way to say this, and the best word I'm coming up with is "justified" even though it isn't, but it was "less bad(?)" than just killing a pure innocent. I don't know, it just didn't seem like a "terrible" thing, which is strange to say but there it is.

crazyboy2737 wrote:

hope next episode would be good...its getting better and better if dexter has another woman..hope shes prettier than rita..

If you're thinking this way about Rita, and Julie Benz who is a gorgeous woman, you're clearly missing the point of her character.

OctoberGirl9

[32]Sep 30, 2010
    • level: 8
    wow...show some respect folks Rita's dead! Anyway, for the real reason I'm back today. Spike.com Scream Awards 2010, vote and show all your Dexter love folks, 19 days left!!!!!!

wr8280

[33]Sep 30, 2010
    • level: 6

Dexter is feeling so much guilt in this episode and after seeing the flashbacks of his first date with Rita, I can't have any sympathy for him. Stalking a killer on their first date, being a jerk to her and leaving, lying that he was sick, and then acting like he really cared about her just so he could use her as cover. Like he said, she deserved a human, not a monster.

She was just relieved that Dexter didn't care about her troubled past and the fact that she had kids because basically Dexter didn't care at all about her or her situation. It's funny the way the writers contrasted Rita's full-disclosure on their very first phone call with Dexter's non disclosure over the entire relationship.

Then he mimics human empathy by repeating what the funeral director was saying to the kids, "I'm so sorry for your loss." He may have complex emotions but they are almost always selfish and concerned with camouflaging the dark passenger with comments like, "I'm causing a scene" Breaking Harry's code. He's more mournful about losing his cover.

Contrast that with the emotions he was feeling in season 4 when he was briefly in jail for the hit and run- that he was considering leaving Rita because the dark passenger needed all his time and energy and because eventually he causes the death and misery of all those around him.

umair_23

[34]Oct 3, 2010
    • level: 12
    wow, what a great follow up to the amazing season 4 finale. cant wait for the next episode. michael c hall was brilliant!

elle92

[35]Oct 3, 2010
    • level: 6

I cried trough the whole episode. So sad but yet wonderful. A lot of emotions. See how Dexter tries to handle Ritas death on his way. The last part where he admitted that he really loved Rita, really touching. Wonderful writing and acting. I will enjoy watching how Dexter tries to cope with Ritas death, raise the kids etc.

selowitch

[36]Oct 3, 2010
    • level: 8

Does anyone think Dexter might have Asperger's Syndrome? It would explain his narrow range of interests; his focused, intelligent mind; his obliviousness to social cues; and his difficulty expressing emotion. Of course, this idea of a brilliant Aspie being a secret killer has been explored recently via the character of Zack on Bones. Could it pertain here?

noahcrash

[37]Oct 6, 2010
    • level: 19

drig44 wrote:
    Only show I think was better then Dexter was Six Feet Under. Also starring Michael C. Hall. Did anyone else laugh to themselves when he was in the funeral home?

yes and what a great episode

wilddog2k8

[38]Oct 6, 2010
    I don't think trinity was killing Rita as part of his ritual, he was killing her to get back at Dexter for everything he put him through. Its obvious he had no problem with killing/hurting ppl, so it would be completely logical to think that trinity went to dexters house after robbing his own family, killed rita, and tried to skip town before meeting his demise. This is where I start to get confused though. How could Dexter have taken out his oil cap if he was at trinity's house when he realized that he drove the mustang? When did he have time to find the right shop and sabotage the car? And where the hell did he even come from when the car broke down? Was he in the trunk? lol.

This episode was great though. Everything about this show is immaculate, only show that compares is Breaking Bad.

DrTrish197 wrote:
    OMG This episode was A-mazing!!! Michael C. Hall at his best! So was Deb, all great acting! The story was beautifully and carefully threaded and we are in for a treat this season if the rest of the season is going to be like what we saw last night. Now onto some interesting points I have to mention. Now, for the record, I want to state that I do not base any of the things that I am about to say on spoilers because I do not care for spoilers and stay as far from them as possible. I recently did a rewatch of the entire series and watched last night's episode 3 times now. So all I am about to say is my own personal opinion. OK, so here's what I think of the situation. We all know Dexter didn't kill Rita, not possible so I'm not even going to speculate on the idea. However, I am giving serious thoughts as to whether it was Trinity or not. I don't think it was. Killing a married woman in a bathtub and leaving a baby in a pool of blood was not Trinity's MO. He has always killed single women in bathtubs and never left witnesses even if it was just a baby. However he has killed a married woman in a bathtub before (only one whose husband got convicted for the murder). We saw Deb interview the guy. But that was 30 years ago and most likely Trinity's first kill. The married woman was always the jumper, and she always had only 2 kids, not 3. Also, there was no mention of a smudge left in Rita's crime scene, nor was her finger pointing to anything. Now it could be that they just didn't mention to the viewers that there was a smudge, but they mentioned that in every single one of Trinity's kill why leave this one out? So with that in mind it leads me to believe that it must have been someone else who killed Rita. It could be one of 2 people: either someone who found out about who Dexter really is and is playing games with him, or someone from his past who would know the details of his mother's crime scene to stage it back in Dexter and Rita's place to make it look like it (hint what Dexter says at the end of season 4 "Born in blood both of us"). I think I need more information to pick which of the 2 it really is, so maybe another few episodes and we might get more clues. However, I am leaning towards the first one (someone who found out) because we've already got someone from his past coming back to haunt him (AKA Ice Truck Killer). I am so glad Dexter is back. It has been a long time waiting. Let the good times begin now.

Harry9295

[39]Oct 18, 2010
    • level: 5

good episode

ian_backo

[40]Nov 16, 2010
    As far as "going against his code killing the red neck" Yes, no other way to put it, it was completely against his "code". But his code is one of logic, one of years of thought and carefully neat decision making. It was how he was raised to be as he felt no emotion. Faking everything to fit in, and killing by the code to make the word a better place. The code is thier as his justification for his conscience (normally voiced by Harry), because he can't quite convince himself he has one. Which is a useful "coping mechanism" for a serial killer, take note:, Trinity who was crying because of the regret he felt while bludgening someone's brains in with a hammer. His conscience was all too real, and he couldn't hide the feelings his dark passenger brings him. Dexters method seems better and thanks to Harry it also helps him avoid killing innocent people which helps his conscience deal with it all. If it was against his "code" then why did he do it? You may want to ask. Well that's simple, when he entered the shop/shack he was already spiralling out of control, Rita's death shattered him. He finds this rude and abbrassive indvidual, and Dexter being the Dark and Evil soul that he mostly is immediatly just wants to kill him. We have seen this feeling of his many times, usually however his Code/Conscience prevent's him from killing just anyone who rubs him the wrong way say, cutting infront of him in a queue. Although with Rita's death and the rage/sorrow/guilt/vengenance and all the other complicated feelings that are dexter that are rushing through his veins his "code" just doesn't come into it, he knows he should just leave but he ignores his better judgement, his logical side, his conscience, his code, and follows the man into the bathroom. Once in the bathroom thier is only one conclusion really, he's their to kill the rude abbrassive redneck, but that doesn't mean his conscience won't stand up and demand he leave, however as fate has it, this rude and quite foolish man as it will become apparently obvious tells Dexter while he bares his soul about the death of his wife, that "your dead wife can suck my coc*" not a very smart thing to say to a VERY angry and upset Serial killer holding a nice little anchor, and the inevitable "code" breaking, conscience ignoring, logic undictating, head pulverising end comes to fruition. Should dexter feel guilty afterwards for breaking the code, the code suggests he should, but, he ignored the code completely, its not like he followed the code, followed his conscience and accidentally killed an innocent. Like when he killed the photographer. No sir! The code did not come into this, the dark passenger was in complete control, Dexter usually only unleashes the menacing fictional being inside him when the target fits the code, but so overwhelmed was dexter with the rage of his darkness inside of him the code was ignored completely, this was pure unadulterated rage, the truth that is the reason why Dexter kills, you can tell the level of rage he felt right then, the level of sorrow and guilt all let out in one blood curdelling primal scream (cudos to Michael C. Hall for that lovely bit of audio delight). As Harry the ficitional conscience in the wonderous and terrifying mind that is Dexter didn't even care that much about the bloody mess on the floor, as he just says, "Well thats the first human thing you've done since her death" A proud sort of well screw that guy Dexter, look you really felt something, your human. That's his conscience screaming out to the denial mindset of dexter, look at what you did, your not so different after all.