So I was wondering what you Dexter fans want and expect from this show in the future. My main questions, answered for me personally:
How many seasons should Dexter have after the fifth?
I feel like the double life Dexter is leading can't and shouldn't go on forever. There have already been quite a few close calls where a fairly extreme twist was needed to keep the story going. All of these were written and executed very well, but it has to end somewhere. I'm going to go with 2 more seasons max, so the show can end believably, and before deteriorating.
How should it end for Dexter himself, what's his fate?
Dexter personifies a most interesting moral ambiguity, so the story can be ended with him as a monster, a savior or both. Most likely ending situations are (imo):
1) Dexter gets found out by one or more people (Deb, Quinn, ??) and ends up in jail or dead;
2) Dexter is set free of his Dark Passenger somehow and finds happiness with his kids, keeping all the secrets in and stopping the killing;
3) Dexter finds a soul mate who is like him, so both have a Dark Passenger, and they live on together somehow (killing together probably);
4) Dexter finds a soul mate who's a fully good person. This person would accept his dark side and their love could become so strong that the Dark Passenger fades and they live a happy life (no killing);
5) Dexter goes insane, the Dark Passenger taking over and the moral code overthrown. He kills indiscriminately and gets cought / killed.
I'm going to go with option 4, because I'm a romantic and who doesn't want to see Dexter happy? He can't keep killing forever without being cought or killed imo. There's also the question of whether his children will survive the dangerous life Dexter leads. His next adversary might target those kids somehow.
What are your thoughts on these central questions for the future of the show?
Edited 2 total times.