Dexter Forums

Showtime (ended 2013)

How (long) do you want the show to continue?

Geertvdheide

[1]Dec 15, 2010
    • level: 10

So I was wondering what you Dexter fans want and expect from this show in the future. My main questions, answered for me personally:

How many seasons should Dexter have after the fifth?
    I feel like the double life Dexter is leading can't and shouldn't go on forever. There have already been quite a few close calls where a fairly extreme twist was needed to keep the story going. All of these were written and executed very well, but it has to end somewhere. I'm going to go with 2 more seasons max, so the show can end believably, and before deteriorating.

How should it end for Dexter himself, what's his fate?
    Dexter personifies a most interesting moral ambiguity, so the story can be ended with him as a monster, a savior or both. Most likely ending situations are (imo):

1) Dexter gets found out by one or more people (Deb, Quinn, ??) and ends up in jail or dead;
    2) Dexter is set free of his Dark Passenger somehow and finds happiness with his kids, keeping all the secrets in and stopping the killing;
    3) Dexter finds a soul mate who is like him, so both have a Dark Passenger, and they live on together somehow (killing together probably);
    4) Dexter finds a soul mate who's a fully good person. This person would accept his dark side and their love could become so strong that the Dark Passenger fades and they live a happy life (no killing);
    5) Dexter goes insane, the Dark Passenger taking over and the moral code overthrown. He kills indiscriminately and gets cought / killed.

I'm going to go with option 4, because I'm a romantic and who doesn't want to see Dexter happy? He can't keep killing forever without being cought or killed imo. There's also the question of whether his children will survive the dangerous life Dexter leads. His next adversary might target those kids somehow.

What are your thoughts on these central questions for the future of the show?

Edited on 12/15/2010 10:30am
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Geertvdheide

[2]Oct 5, 2011
    So, based on recent news about the financial disagreement between Michael C. Hall and the producers of the show, it seems that they are trying to get him to stay on for at least 2 more seasons after the current season (6). A little more than I was hoping for: The writers will have to do one hell of a job to keep the show believable and to keep it from feeling too familiar. On the other hand: If this whole money argument really can't be resolved, the whole thing might be cancelled after this season. That seems unlikely to me though, since the divide isn't all that huge. We'll have to wait and see.

palle007

[3]Oct 6, 2011
    • level: 5

How did you come up with number two?

chikanoman

[4]Oct 9, 2011
    • level: 12

The last scene of Dexter should be him receiving a lethal injection as he smiles and looks at the camera and says with his inner voice "I'm happy and accept with who I am." The end.

ultimateTVfan

[5]Nov 1, 2011
    • level: 4

This is one of my favorite shows so I wouldn't mind if it went on for quite a while longer.

I do know how I would like to see the final season develop, it would be perfect if they found out what he does (preferably by someone close to him like Deb) and watch a cat and mouse game with Dexter on the run while still dealing with his dark passenger and raising Harrison. Then an ultimate showdown between him and and Deb would be unavoidable and she has to decide if she's going to kill, capture or let Dexter go. I would prefer the last option, if only to see a future shot of him with Harrison to show if he has kept his son off the dark path or turned out just like his dad.

blackmage8472

[6]Nov 2, 2011
    • level: 15

http://www.tvline.com/2011/11/ask-ausiello-spoilers-gossip-girl-once-upon-a-time-bones-dexter/

While not an official announcement or an acknowledgement, supposedly the show continues past this season.

Wickedjelly

[7]Nov 2, 2011
    • level: 1

As much as i still enjoy the show at this point it is getting fairly repetitive to me. I would prefer it ends rather soon rather than keep going past its prime. Far as how they should end it I can see several avenues they could take that would be rather interesting.

ice_edge

[8]Nov 4, 2011
    • level: 13
    It's to popular. I believe we will get at least 2 seasons after this.

And yes he needs to sit in the electric chair in the end. Otherwise the writers would be cheating us of that ending just like they said they would do. Good ending would be him finally understanding that dark passenger was evil all along and he made him do bad things which is never justifiable no what.

knucklepunt

[9]Nov 8, 2011

They're (Showtime) going to have a riot on their hands if they pull it too soon. It hasn't really let off the throttle that much. Slightly repetitive at times, perhaps, but strength of cast still carries the occasional bumps in the story.

I agree they should shelve it before it goes stale. But with a revolving cast of new bad guys for each season they should be able to pull out at least another good couple of seasons.

Perhaps the season 7 cliffhanger can be Debra catching him in the act, then season 8 opens with him going on the lam. the bulk of the final season encompasses the hunt, and ends with his capture and execution (possibly self-execution).

PewPew83

[10]Nov 11, 2011
    • level: 8

Honestly i don't want it to end, but like what everyone says ..good show must end somewhere. I hope they make abelievable ending .. instead of some happy ending in which everyone is happy.

MarkNash1

[11]Nov 14, 2011

Judging by the massive drop in writing integrity this season or next should be the last for me.. Dexter is becoming a stumbling fool and not thecalculatingemotionless killer he was created as.. soon he will be as stupid as every other generic CSIvillainof the week.

As for pay disputes there is nothing there to worry about it.. same thing happensevery timea contract comes up forrenewal.. the studio wants you for the same price..you want more and this is the time it is done.. All it actually shows is that Mr Hall wants to keep doing the show and they want him doing it. Lets face it they cant recast and its still profitableandI'venot seen any other actors involved... (see the 'Monk- Bitty Shram' debarkle for an example of pay negotiations where main characters kept jobs but one got axed as an example to the others for asking too much)

The last season was certainly moreexperimentalwith theformula, which the show needed, and this one is back to the morefamiliarpattern but there islittlesparkle to the story for me.

As for anending.. always the eternally difficult question isn't it.. of course there should be thick black underline of death to his characterwhetherit be noble, meaningful, redemptive or whatever.. I'm sure the studio will twist arms until its more on the lines of discovery and going on the run.. which would be a crying shame.

For me Dex will get in over his head and face off with the worst of the worst of evils and find himself faced with an impossible choice where the Code of Harry will be his downfall. Protecting his sister, family and friends lives and reputations he will sacrifice himself and in death as in life it will be hardly noticed despite its huge ramifications.

In anambiguouspostscript Dexter will fall into the arms of his mother to walk away hand-in-hand with her and his brother... toredemptionor judgement?

kdailey4315

[12]Nov 14, 2011
    • level: 2

I really love this show but I can't see it going on for very much longer. It's getting very formulaic. There's a serial killer that Miami Metro is looking for and Dexter is trying to beat them to the punch to kill them. There's one person that comes close each season to finding out who Dexter really is. There will never be anything close to Lithgow as the Trinity Killer and I keep finding myself comparing characters to him.

pumpkinhead2

[13]Nov 14, 2011
    • level: 7

I would give it another season or two.

In the end I think in is Debra who is destined to end Dexter's reign.

Harry9295

[14]Nov 17, 2011
    Another season for sure, because this one is turning into one of the best!!

blackmage8472

[15]Nov 18, 2011
    • level: 15

http://www.spoilertv.com/2011/11/dexter-renewed-for-2-seasons.html

Two more seasons.

Geertvdheide

[16]Nov 19, 2011
    Yeah it's been confirmed: another 2 seasons. I'm a little worried now. 8 seasons is a long time to keep a show with a format like this going. I love Dexter, but there needs to be a sense of "the end is coming", in order for the show to stay relevant. Dexter has to be faced with the fact that his life can't go on like this forever. It wouldn't make sense. There's always been the threat that he could get caught or killed, and having that not happen for 8 seasons just makes it lose some of its credibility.

Still a great show, I will continue to enjoy watching it, but 6-7 seasons total would have been better in my opinion.

Win56789

[17]Nov 19, 2011
    • level: 1
    Option 5 sounds like something the show might do. Maybe he goes and trys to kill a political figure or a celebrity and gets caught while removing the body or something.

major_csi_fan

[18]Nov 26, 2011

Well micheal c hall has signed on for 2 more seasons leading up to season 8 , also there was an article ( don;t remember link) where they said for dexter they had a 3 year trejectory with season 6 being year one , and that season 8 maybe a definite end which i would be happy since 8 seasons is a good run for a show before it goes downhill