Dexter Forums

Showtime (ended 2013)

S06E12 "This Is The Way The World Ends" Discussion

kingoffheg

[21]Dec 19, 2011
    • level: 11

I loved it but had many complaints nevertheless.

First of all, I'm disappointed to see that the "Deb loves Dex" stuff is still going on. I was hoping that she'd realize that she isn't in love with him and that somehow it would lead to something else, more interesting. The scene with the therapist was well-written and well-acted though, so I can't complain too much. Here's to hoping that the next season finds a way out of this.

The Angel/Quinn stuff didn't feel like season finale material. I just didn't feel like Quinn's position was really threatened and I hate how we weren't given a definite answer about Quinn's fate. I hope the writers give them something better to do next season.

My last complaint is about how short the Dexter/Travis confrontation was at the top of the skyscraper. I wished that they had fought more after Dexter "injected" himself, it just felt like Dexter knocked Travis out way too quickly.

Aside from that, I loved pretty much everything about the episode. The opening scene at the sea with the boat was fantastic. I also loved how there's huge emphasis on Dexter and Harrison (just like the first half of the season before Brother Sam died and things went off-rails), not to mention that the music playing was absolutely beautiful!

The Dexter and Debra interactions were actually well-written and that scene when they were examining the two bodies and acting all weird was quite funny. I also loved Debra & LeGuerta's interactions. I've always liked LeGuerta and don't want her to leave the show unlike many other fans, she always brings a sense of unpredictability to the show and acts as a counterpart to the boringly-good Angel, for example.

Dexter and Travis' final conversation was just epic. It was incredibly well-written and I especially loved Dexter's line "I'm a father, a son, a serial killer". The last 10 seconds had my jaw on the floor! I mean, I had my doubts about Debra showing up but it was still shocking! This moment has been six years in the making after all.

I have faith in the writers to deliver great storytelling next year when it comes to Debra dealing with Dexter being a serial killer, they always write their scenes better than anything else. I just hope they find a way out of getting them into a relationship or whatever...

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

lachlan_j_g

[22]Dec 19, 2011
    • level: 11

I think next season Deb will be um-ing and ah-ing about whether to turn Dexter in, before getting killed herself. maybe the intern will be the new serial killer. thoroughly enjoyed this season finale!

MeAgentOfChaos

[23]Dec 19, 2011
    • level: 2
    drydenroesch wrote:

As awesome as Debra finding out about Dexter is, I can't help but fear it will change the show too dramatically. I mean, if Debra and Dexter team up, they will be unstoppable. She's the lieutenant of Miami Metro Homicide; if she's allied with Dexter then how the hell are the writers going to generate enough problems to make decent plot-lines? Part of what makes the show so compelling is how close Dexter gets to being discovered all the time.

Leguerta?

ltcomstella

[24]Dec 19, 2011
    • level: 18

it was a good ep, but soooooo predictable. as deb did tell dex to check out the church and we knew he was going to use it for a kill room..

debs love for dexter is a creepy subplot thatat least gives her more reasons for holding back with slapping the cuffs on dex

so they'll be having a rather odd fight in the premier of s7 lots of swear words and then maybe a chase scene.

angel and quinn should just drop their pants and bone, cos it's gotten so old, this isthe next stupid step after fighting... i kinda hope the newbie killer hacker /intern guy carves up quinn...

as for laguerta, she could really do with some pain and sorrow heck kill teh b!tch!

was it just me or did harrison look super cute in that lion costume ?

Endoplasmic888

[25]Dec 19, 2011
    • level: 7

I have a question: why did the police want to know when Travis was going to put on the Lake of Fire when they already think he did it due to Dexter staging it with Gellar's hand? That really bugged me. Also I forget: did Dexter get his boat back?

And also I'm surprised no one put together the fact that Dexter supposedly "fell off his boat" the same night, in the same area, that someone was "killed" by the Lake of Fire.

Edited on 12/19/2011 10:20am
    Edited 2 total times.

jiko25

[26]Dec 19, 2011
    all I hope is that next season starts where it left off. I hate seasons that start months or years after the last episode.

ZeroFilter

[27]Dec 19, 2011
    • level: 1

It was also incredibly convenient, that this time around the investigation team decided to wait for Dexter before entering the crime scene, unlike EVERY OTHER TIME where they first investigate the scene themselves, before calling in the blood spatter analyst. Way too convenient solution to a complex dilemma :/

arniarent

[28]Dec 19, 2011
    It seems like the writers were lazy this season IMO, solving complex dilemmas with fast and easy solutions (the wall painting of Dexter), discarding some characters like yesterdays garbage (Brother Sam) while keeping yesterdays garbage characters on (Quinn). I still haven't figured out the role of the new characters, like the new black guy. In fact I haven't figured out the purpose of Quinn. It seems like this season was primarily a set-up for the next season.

I got all excited about Dexter's road trip, maybe we'll have 3-4 episodes of him on a manic killing spree across the country. But no, it was over after 20 minutes and he didn't do anything interesting.

It was the worst season so far IMO, but sure there were good parts in there. I didn't find the baddies all that interesting.

How many did Dexter kill this season? I count 3 or 4. I think it's the lowest number of kills ever per season. No kills make Dexter a dull boy.

The end was great (10-20 second'ish?). In fact, I really like all the Debra scenes, her meltdown-mode style keeps the audience as nerve wrecks. And now that Deb has seen Dexter for what he truly is, next seasons will be probably superb.

I don't know, Dexter (the show) has gotten very predictable IMO, and not enough unpredictable knife-cutting show altering scenes. My favorite season is the 2nd one, where he was constantly at risk of being found out.

blackmage8472

[29]Dec 19, 2011
    • level: 15

arniarent wrote:
    How many did Dexter kill this season? I count 3 or 4. I think it's the lowest number of kills ever per season. No kills make Dexter a dull boy.

I don't know the exact number but there was a huge difference in the types of kills Dexter made this season. He had more impulsive kills. He killed the guy who killed Brother Sam because he was angry, there was the guy he killed in the barn who tried to blackmail him, and there was the guy on the boat at the very end.

The one thing that the writers did very well this season was to contrast the chaos and order within Dexter.

arniarent

[30]Dec 19, 2011
    blackmage8472 wrote:

arniarent wrote:

I don't know the exact number but there was a huge difference in the types of kills Dexter made this season. He had more impulsive kills. He killed the guy who killed Brother Sam because he was angry, there was the guy he killed in the barn who tried to blackmail him, and there was the guy on the boat at the very end.

The one thing that the writers did very well this season was to contrast the chaos and order within Dexter.

Yea, all his kills were very disorganized that season, except the very last one. It started before that, like right after Rita was killed he went on a boat trip and ended up rage killing a guy in the restroom.

But what I really hate about some tv shows is when they withhold the juiciest bits until the very very end. There were some mid-season juicy bits in there too, a few "cliffhanger" shows, but the follow-up shows just didn't do them justice. Like example: I couldn't wait to see how the team would react to the Dexter's painting, which was set-up as a 11'th episode cliffhanger. But it didn't take more than 1 minute for all that excitement to dissipate in the 12'th episode. It was cheap, let's face it. And I've never seen a crime scene where everybody waited for Dexter before going in. Very clumsy writing, lazy writing.

Why set up such scenes you're unable to do justice to?
    And why set up characters you're unable to do justice to? (Brother Sam, and even the boring Quinn).

I mean they spent all this time building up Brother Sam, only to write him off like a shot dog.
    And they spent all this time building up Quinn as the wasted drunk, only to do absolutely nothing with him.

arniarent

[31]Dec 19, 2011
    Oh, and yea.

Acting has gotten more stale (except for Debra).

The music/soundtracks have gotten very redundant. I remember being captivated by the music in Dexter, but now I barely notice it. They're not doing music right anymore.

Bah, I got so many other points of where this season went wrong. The producers can always contact me for them

TVtom

[32]Dec 19, 2011
    • level: 1

According to this interview on Hulu, Colin Hanks didn't know that Gellar was imaginary and Edward James Olmos had to hide it from him. http://www.hulu.com/watch/311628/the-morning-after-colin-hanks-interview

s1ckie

[33]Dec 19, 2011
    • level: 5
    I laughed during the credits DD really
    In my opinion, season was better than 5th, but worse than any others... Eh... What a good show it was in the beggining.. too bad

Endoplasmic888

[34]Dec 19, 2011
    • level: 7
    arniarent wrote:

He killed 4 people in season 5 - that guy in the restroom, Boyd Fouler, that dentist guy, and Jordan Chase's bodyguard.

Except, of all the kills I listed, only 2 of them actually got a kill room. I agree, every since Rita died there have been less killrooms lately. It's really gotten annoying, and it's just lazy that the writers want to have them die without Dexter speaking to them. Like when Dexter killed Nick, he should have at least had a killroom.

arniarent

[35]Dec 19, 2011
    Endoplasmic888 wrote:
    arniarent wrote:

He killed 4 people in season 5 - that guy in the restroom, Boyd Fouler, that dentist guy, and Jordan Chase's bodyguard.

Except, of all the kills I listed, only 2 of them actually got a kill room. I agree, every since Rita died there have been less killrooms lately. It's really gotten annoying, and it's just lazy that the writers want to have them die without Dexter speaking to them. Like when Dexter killed Nick, he should have at least had a killroom.

Yea, it's like the "Don't get caught" rule has gone out the window. I mean how many clues has he left behind? Killing people in wide open, killing guys here and there, stabbing them on boat in front of a lot of people, going on a road trip and leaving a motel without management (yea that goes unnoticed for long).

It's not the "kill room" or the ritual that I miss, it's just Dexter being methodical about his killings, not just the "monster of the season" kill. Actually, I'd like them to mix up the kill ritual to freshen it up a bit, a different signature ritual might lead the police to think there's a new serial killer in town and not the same old bay harbor butcher, so we could experience a new season 2 thrill.

With 4-5 kills per season, that's puny 30 kills. Dexter isn't all that impressive after all. I'd think around 300 would be a better round number, that means Dexter needs to kill something like 3 people per show!

amaryllis88

[36]Dec 19, 2011
    • level: 20
    I may get scolded for this, but imo, I think they carried the theme of religious-ness way over this season. I'm all for the occasional, "g*d help me," or "have faith," commentary in television shows, but there seemed like an overbearing of it shoved in our faces. It mainly bothered me in storyline, I wish they had somebody else besides Travis and professor Gellar, like if they had that duo in the beginning of the season, wrapped it up, and then had somebody else in the latter half of the season. That way the show didn't constantly revolve around the doomsday killers, because I couldn't wait for Travis to end up on Dexter's slab.

And the ending, I'm ok with it, much better than some other finales I've seen of shows recently. I think this could blossom into something, I think it'll definitely bring Dexter and Deb closer, maybe a relationship, hey, they're not blood-related, they can connect more, and I think it'll be more of a benefit than a hindrance.

I'm curious where the arm is though, and how's it going to play in next season...I know that sounds miniscule on top of everything.....but the prosthetic arm from the ITK case, I'm sure Travis left it in Dexter's apartment... The intern went a great length to cover his evidence up on that package, so where does that go in the great scheme of things? Instead of Quin's transfer, I figured he'd end up dead, but alas, he has survived to black out another day.

kepa55

[37]Dec 19, 2011
    • level: 8

Apart from the awesome cliffhanger, pretty boring and predictable episode; certainly a fitting way to wrap up the worst season of the show. Travis became a joke, and he actually fell for Dexter not injecting himself? This is the guy who had the best serial killer ever completely fooled? Yeah...

And talking about leaving things open. Travis dying was pretty much the only storyline finished. Will Quinn get transferred? What about the Ice Truck Killer hand? I can't remember them doing this in previous seasons, was this the first time they were actually renewed while still shooting the current season?

FCBarca

[38]Dec 19, 2011
    • level: 15

Great, albeit predictable, ending aside this was a pitiful excuse for a season...They dialed this one in...They may have signed on for 2 more seasons, if they don't find their mojo soon it'll never get past 7

TrueTvWatcher

[39]Dec 19, 2011
    • level: 42

This episode was awesome and wrapped the season up perfectly while leaving a huge cliffhanger we have been waiting to see! The season as a whole was good and I think people just over thought or got caught up in the negative hype but the writers had a vision and for the series as a whole this season was important and showed Dexter transitioning through life like the rest of us, and with the world set to end at the end of next year the timing of this was perfect! (I don't believe the world will end)

major_csi_fan

[40]Dec 19, 2011
    • level: 4

Ok first of all the ending was very cool and sucks we have to wait so long for season 7 but it can only go one of few ways anyway either deb turns him in ( which i doubt she will since she cares for dex so much) or maybe she gets killed. Travis didnt get much of a kill room scene but i forgive, I was soooo looking forward to dex finding the ITK arm ( i hope they carry that on next season ) Overall i think this season has been very good apart from the few plot holes they left at the end and i hope dexter does not return debs feelings and i am all for the deb knowing dex is a killer story so long as they don;t make it the only focus for the next 2 seasons that would be alot to keep doing just for 24 episodes for one plot point, but i am looking forward to season 7 ^^