Dexter Forums

Showtime (ended 2013)

S06E12 "This Is The Way The World Ends" Discussion

Jemadari

[41]Dec 19, 2011
    • level: 12

I wasn't sure were I stood on the Deb/Dex thing but Six Feet Under made it work even though there was mental illness and it was one way but even after Brenda had that dream about Billy it still worked so if the writers are up to par that could play out ok

I with everyone else, crappy episode to top off a crappy season with an awesome(if not somewhat predictable) cliffhanger

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

azumi_mm

[42]Dec 19, 2011
    • level: 1

ZeroFilter wrote:

It was also incredibly convenient, that this time around the investigation team decided to wait for Dexter before entering the crime scene, unlike EVERY OTHER TIME where they first investigate the scene themselves, before calling in the blood spatter analyst. Way too convenient solution to a complex dilemma :/

Indeed, totally. And absolutely realistic! The same goes for the ONE POLICEMAN ONLY on the Transcorp Building. Or Dexter's escape from the tiny boot (the bound hands were quite convenient). Or Travis kidnapping Harrison without seeing Dexter being alive. Or Travis' call, "Inject yourself."

Honestly, I do not believe that Deb is really sexually interested in Dexter. I think Deb's psychiatrist did influence her subconsciously. Not before the psychiatrist suggested the possibility of infatuation with Dexter has this notion crossed Deb's mind. Unquestionable Deb always loved Dexter as an individual and brother but in a non-sexual way. Now pushed by her psychiatrist she is starting to dwell in sexual attraction towards him. Worst I doubt that Dexter is willed to return this triggered emotion.

@Jemadari good one.

Edited on 12/20/2011 7:43am
    Edited 3 total times.

UltraTraveler

[43]Dec 19, 2011
    • level: 9
    Love the season ending!
    But darn that psychiatrist has made things more complicated.

abba321

[44]Dec 19, 2011
    • level: 2
    The best part about the ending is now they can drop the Deb loves Dex plot. Killing people is one thing, but that's just wrong.

azumi_mm

[45]Dec 20, 2011

Price Peterson wrote:
    Very sensible, writers! [..] all I'm left with now is the image of a group of fifth-graders playing Nerf basketball rather than doing their rewrites. Dear Showtime, can you upgrade to at least high schoolers next year?

This pretty much sums it all up. That's how I feel about season 6. And I bet I am not the only one.

kjp264

[46]Dec 20, 2011

I want to make it clear that this is my first post on an Internet forum regarding a TV show. Here goes.

OMFG!!1!!1111111111 The ending, OMFg!!!!!111111111

I waited 4 years or so for this to happen. I love it, I love it, I love it. Hm, I think I ate some fish bones earlier, my tummy is sore, sigh. They say fish is all so healthy, but it's so hard to get the bones out - I always seems to miss one or two.

Oh, Dexter.

OMFG!!!!!!!! Poor Deb, I love Deb, they spell her name as "Debra" it's sexier.

I needed new underwear after this episode! Him nearly losing Harrison, was so intense, and then the ending!!! I think I need therapy to come to terms with his.

Anyway, thanks for listening.

arniarent

[47]Dec 20, 2011
    I've been trying to figure out why this season was so ... bad, so I started to go over it a bit.

1. Wow, who here had forgot about the "Tooth Fairy Killer"? Although the character and acting was good, it didn't serve any role in the season and was quickly forgotten.
    2. Then there was Brother Sam. I mean, what the.. building up a good character only to waste him like a dog for no return. I guess the whole reason with Brother Sam was to make Dexter find his spiritual side or whatever, but amazingly despite all that effort he didn't leave much effect behind.
    3. Three interns, building up the blond as some character only to boot her for another intern and building up that character again!
    4. Getting rid of captain Matthews in a very crude undeserving manner and building up some uninteresting prostitute plot for that purpose.
    5. Allowing the "bible boy" to be the main villain, and not Edward James Olmos. And whatever happened to Edward James Olmos? It's like "poof" he's gone, he was the scary one.
    6. What's the thing with Quinn? I mean, get over it already! Boring character development. I've been better character development in 10 minutes than Dexter did in 10 episodes with Quinn. And the season is over, and nothing happened with Quinn. I mean, he got introduced in season 4 as this new detective interested in Dexter... and then he's nothing anymore.

This whole "God" thing just didn't "click". Brother Sam, the Doomsday-killer(s), the new nun school for Harrison, just nothing of it clicked.

Really, this season was very unfocused and shooting in all directions, wasting precious time building up characters for nothing.

I'd say this was the season of Debra. If not for her, this season would have been much worse. All the interesting scenes were with Debra, her situation was much more interesting, promotion to lieutenant, breaking up with Quinn, the psychiatrist sessions, how she handles Dexter as his boss, and of course finding out Dexter. That's what stands out IMO, Debra.

MeAgentOfChaos

[48]Dec 20, 2011
    arniarent wrote:
    I've been trying to figure out why this season was so ... bad, so I started to go over it a bit.

1. Wow, who here had forgot about the "Tooth Fairy Killer"? Although the character and acting was good, it didn't serve any role in the season and was quickly forgotten.
    2. Then there was Brother Sam. I mean, what the.. building up a good character only to waste him like a dog for no return. I guess the whole reason with Brother Sam was to make Dexter find his spiritual side or whatever, but amazingly despite all that effort he didn't leave much effect behind.
    3. Three interns, building up the blond as some character only to boot her for another intern and building up that character again!
    4. Getting rid of captain Matthews in a very crude undeserving manner and building up some uninteresting prostitute plot for that purpose.
    5. Allowing the "bible boy" to be the main villain, and not Edward James Olmos. And whatever happened to Edward James Olmos? It's like "poof" he's gone, he was the scary one.
    6. What's the thing with Quinn? I mean, get over it already! Boring character development. I've been better character development in 10 minutes than Dexter did in 10 episodes with Quinn. And the season is over, and nothing happened with Quinn. I mean, he got introduced in season 4 as this new detective interested in Dexter... and then he's nothing anymore.

This whole "God" thing just didn't "click". Brother Sam, the Doomsday-killer(s), the new nun school for Harrison, just nothing of it clicked.

Really, this season was very unfocused and shooting in all directions, wasting precious time building up characters for nothing.

I'd say this was the season of Debra. If not for her, this season would have been much worse. All the interesting scenes were with Debra, her situation was much more interesting, promotion to lieutenant, breaking up with Quinn, the psychiatrist sessions, how she handles Dexter as his boss, and of course finding out Dexter. That's what stands out IMO, Debra.

Ya i agree with most of ur points

blackmage8472

[49]Dec 21, 2011
    • level: 15

arniarent wrote:

1. He was no different than most of the others that ended up on Dexter's table. If he played a larger role it would have been a poor version of Trinity which probably would have pissed people off.

2. It just seemed to me that the whole Brother Sam thing got muddled at some point. His death allowed Dexter to lose control and it brought back Brian... but then they dismissed that pretty quickly. I really hope we see Brian again next season.

3. Yeah, the blond seemed so important for a time... was she just a red herring, was that her purpose? Again, a kind of muddled thought... But I do like the potential that Louis's character has. If he's not back next season in a larger role I'll be unhappy.

4. Eh, I think it merely means the power struggle between LaGuerta and Deb has reached a new level. Deb has basically replaced Mathews as LaGuerta's political rival.

5. I have no problem with Travis being the big bad, he was a fanatic and a true believer. Same principle as why everyone finds Islamic terrorists so scary. Fanatics can commit horrific acts and believe they are going to be rewarded. My real disappointment with Travis was the sudden loss of Gellar. I would have loved to see that connection evolve.

6. Quinn's development is another example of why I see this season being more of a bridge. He was actually introduced in season 3, Doakes replacement and has been a major wild card the whole time.

I don't think this was a great season but I don't think it was bad either... I just think it fell short in some places and I hope they get picked up again next season.

Endoplasmic888

[50]Dec 21, 2011
    • level: 7
    Quinn didn't actually do much in season 3, which was his first season. Some reporter or something (not the one that he was sleeping with in season 4) was like interested in exposing dirt on him, but other than that that's it. His rivalry with Dexter only started in the fourth season.

blackmage8472

[51]Dec 21, 2011

Endoplasmic888 wrote:
    Quinn didn't actually do much in season 3, which was his first season. Some reporter or something (not the one that he was sleeping with in season 4) was like interested in exposing dirt on him, but other than that that's it. His rivalry with Dexter only started in the fourth season.

Actually it was a former partner or friend who was with the IAB. They've pretty much established Quinn as a bit of a wild card and a loose cannon. I thought after his breakup with Deb he'd try to get revenge by investigating Dexter again but I think this new rivalry with Bautista could be interesting for both characters.

articnights

[52]Dec 22, 2011
    • level: 4
    In the novels, Deb has known all along about her brother.

arniarent

[53]Dec 22, 2011
    I've been watching season 1 and 2 again and I notice big differences between them and season 6.

Season 1 & 2 = artistic, musical, fluid... and Dexter character has a lot more spirit, energy and range of emotions. It's almost like watching a music video.

Season 6 = hard boiled, stale, formula, Dexter is rather dull like the actor is bored or tired.

There was one scene from season 6 I remember which was pretty good, that was when Angel Batista was driving in his new car...finding his youth again. That was art! But not enough of that.

rumba

[54]Dec 23, 2011
    Yeah, one of the things I liked most about Dexter was that there where no f*** cliffhangers.
    Every season ended with the warm feeling of a complete story and no loose ends.
    The satisfaction of another great season of Dexter, like closing a book after the last page, is missing this time. It feels like the season is not over yet and something is just missing.

And now?
    I will end up with banging my head on the table for 9 months, hating to not now what comes next.
    And there is lots of open ends:
    Deb seeing Dex
    Travis knife in Dex kitchen
    Travis shirt in his appartment
    Interns paket with the hand and Travis fingerprints
    Dex using the interns search engine, which might have recorded his searches

And I didnt like Dex being sloppy. Setting up the killroom in the church, not thinking about where Travis got his shirt, his actions being sort of responsible for the death of 7 people Travis killed.

That doesnt sound like dexter to me. Lets hope they at least close all the open ends in the next season.

pumpkinhead2

[55]Dec 23, 2011
    • level: 7

I can see the opening scenes in season 7 with Deb inside a mental institution.

Seriously she seems to have been heading for a mental breakdown all season and the events of the final scene would probably send her over the edge.

Having said that I didn't like the final scene. I don't mind that Deb found out ... but I didn't like the way she found out. I was hoping she would find out about Dexter through good detective work.

Imagine if the final episode involved Deb looking at the DDK's painting of Dexter wondering what the hell was going on, and putting together the fact that Dexter's boat had the DDKs fingerprints all over it and then finally a report arrives on her desk about the body of the hotel manager from a hotel she knows Dexter stayed at being found dumped in a Silo.

This would have been a far more effective build up of tension then to have her just walk into Dex's kill room.

The whole of series 6 was full of plot holes you could drive a bus through. Having said that I think that they have set themselves up for a good season 7. Lets hope the writers don't screw it up.

EricJanBogaard

[56]Dec 28, 2011
    • level: 6

So it isn't a dream sequence, that final scene ? because previously she also had a dream about "loving" Dexter,

plus the location is quiet "risky" to be, for Dexter, if it was a dream sequence, it would be an anti-climax

for the start of the new season, next year/

Edited on 12/28/2011 9:00am

blackmage8472

[57]Dec 29, 2011

EricJanBogaard wrote:

So it isn't a dream sequence, that final scene ? because previously she also had a dream about "loving" Dexter,

plus the location is quiet "risky" to be, for Dexter, if it was a dream sequence, it would be an anti-climax

for the start of the new season, next year/

When you first mentioned dream sequence I thought that I would be pissed if the writers do that... but that could be just as interesting as Deb actually walking in Dexter killing Travis. It would mean her subconscious has known all along exactly who Dexter is.

That said, I really hope it isn't a dream sequence... it's time Deb knows.

avi01

[58]Jan 5, 2012
    • level: 26
    the cliffhanger sets up next season well but other than that, terrible episode...can`t believe the amount of stupidity we are supposed to just go with..way too many of those season , it `s beyond annoying,literally insulting now...some bad writing this season, really disappointed. Hopefully they get back on track next season, this one was bad.

ice_edge

[59]Jan 5, 2012
    • level: 13
    I really wanted for her to get to know this at the last season and not 6 but alas they needed something big to hook the audience. Can't blame them though. Anyways this season reached new highs with dexter-sam relationship and I'm all glad for it. It was still better than season 5 in that it really made biggest leap until they thought it was awesome to kill off the most important character of this season. Finally with Dex-Travis at the rooftop felt rushed and really unnecessary. Getting Harrison involved just felt so cheap. Hostage thing just felt flat. So why have Brian only for one ep if you really want to go through this new direction? It's really odd how rules no longer apply to Dexter and he can kill someone over here and there and people don't make a fuss about. Remembering season 2 in this case is odd since it was always about the rules of the game and Dexter always reminding himself about them. Now he kinda lacks them (due to sam) but his development can't be continued since they killed Sam Off. Now he is in a limbo state. This might just lead Brian coming back with full force and finally making Dexter into a hardcore killer and the guy he always feared he will be. A guy who kills because he is a serial killer and it doesn't matter who it is. Which would mean that Brian would win in the end. It seems all the rivers are flowing this way seeing how casual the killings are. So why is Quinn still around? I finally thought they where going somewhere with Batista and Quinn but it seems Quinn so far has been a filler character with absolutely no purpose to really anything. Just a poor replacement for Doukes. A void he was never been able to fill.

And it seems this new black guy never really served any purpose either. What was that all about? That storyline didn't go anywhere either. Neither did lois or the blond. What the hell was the purpose of all that stuff?

Getting rid of Mathews also never felt right. He has one of the biggest support characters together with Laguerta. I mean what the hell was this all about? Also it seems that actor who played Travis never lived up as the big bad. Guy who played Geller was probably far better. it was just like Miguel was the real big bad of season 3 and got killed before Skinner which was anti climatic.

Ok so the new black guy and Quinn need replacements. Bring in someone interesting. Stop screwing around. Quinn has done nothing for this show for the last 4 seasons he has been in. Just transfer him already. And it really felt like something was missing. I kinda missed Rita and Paul actually. Show was much richer with those 2 around (although long time ago). Even Rita's kids are important (although the girl is annoying as hell after season 3). I somehow feel that every time they are really going deep into things they dropped the ball. It happened with the likes of Rita (finally admitting she knows about his demons and Dexter finally realizing that family is good to brother sam who did show him there is more to life than blood. Both got canned.

Even Lumen who was really important in season 5 as Rita's replacement was dropped. Why?

jmsnyc

[60]Feb 6, 2012

rumba wrote:
    Interns paket with the hand and Travis fingerprints

Dex using the interns search engine, which might have recorded his searches

Not sure what you meant by the "Interns paket"

I like your thoughts on the search - I didnt think Louis could tracking his searches - that could be interesting

I also agree with ZeroFilter that Dex entering the crime scene with his pic on the wall as the beast was convenient.

Also with respect to Dex and Deb, much to most of your dislike I think it will continue into season 7. Before the thought of a love relationship between them even came to mind, several seasons back I made a (somewhat obvious) prediction about the two of them that I figured would have come out already. The two of them in a relationship make my prediction even more creepy/interesting. Perhaps I am stating what most of you already know:

This is mere speculation but I will put it in spoiler tag in case you don't want to be spoiled

***SPOILER***

Edited on 02/06/2012 4:26pm
    Edited 2 total times.