Dexter Forums

Showtime (ended 2013)

Season 6

mickael_x99

[41]Dec 9, 2010
    • level: 2
    You can't honestly compare Dragon Ball Z to Dexter...
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

ice_edge

[42]Dec 9, 2010
    • level: 13

Why not? A show is a show. I'm just comparing to what a length of a show can do a to a series. Not the contents of the show. Don't get caught up in that please.

Edited on 12/09/2010 10:55am

mickael_x99

[43]Dec 9, 2010

ice_edge wrote:
    Why not? A show is a show. I'm just comparing to what a length of a show can do a to a series. Not the contents of the show. Don't get cough up in that please.

LoL. There is a big, big difference between a cartoon and an acted TV series such as Dexter. No, a show is not a show. The reason DBZ lasted is for several reasons: it had an epic cult following, it helped shape a generation, it was easy to produce, and like it or not, the show came from Japan first (obviously) so regardless of how it did in North America, the show would have continued in Japan.

Dexter = acted. Not animated.

Dexter = budget. Must pay all the actors and crew, writers, etc.

Dexter = available via Showtime / Movie Network. Premiere stations.

Dexter's audience = late teens, young adults, etc.

With the "show is a show" argument, we might as well compare Fox News to Teletubbies. The time that goes into Dexter alone is so much different than DBZ, lol. Yes, they're both TV shows, but they're not even in the same league.

ice_edge

[44]Dec 9, 2010
    Concentrate on the point.

Point was dragging shows out can be bad for them.

I might as well have said 20 seasons of Dexter are bad and you would understand why. Same thing. Concentrate on the whole picture and not one aspect of it.

mickael_x99

[45]Dec 9, 2010
    ice_edge wrote:

I might as well have said 20 seasons of Dexter are bad and you would understand why. Same thing. Concentrate on the whole picture and not one aspect of it.

They'd never do 20 seasons of Dexter. You know why? 20 seasons = 20 years. No one ever does that. So it's just not realistic. The point is, considering the way this season and the show in general has been produced, season 6 shouldn't be the final season. At all. That's too much of a bombshell to drop on people right away. You're giving them 12 episodes to end the series that has so much potential... Keyword: potential. The show has so much more they can / should do. They have so many options it's laughable, so ending the series without even scratching the surface would make no sense at all... Bring in a sixth season... build things up, set the stage, and let the roller coaster ride begin...

vstherevolution

[46]Dec 9, 2010
    • level: 26
    mickael_x99 wrote:
    ice_edge wrote:

They'd never do 20 seasons of Dexter. You know why? 20 seasons = 20 years. No one ever does that. So it's just not realistic. The point is, considering the way this season and the show in general has been produced, season 6 shouldn't be the final season. At all. That's too much of a bombshell to drop on people right away. You're giving them 12 episodes to end the series that has so much potential... Keyword: potential. The show has so much more they can / should do. They have so many options it's laughable, so ending the series without even scratching the surface would make no sense at all... Bring in a sixth season... build things up, set the stage, and let the roller coaster ride begin...

Without even scratching the surface? The thing is, as much as I love this show, there really are a limited number of quality possibilities in terms of unique stories for Dexter, and that's just being realistic. Every season has focused on him having to resort to extreme measures to protect himself from being found out, every season has needed some sort of main villain in order to ramp up tension for the finale. Even though they were trying something different this year with 5 villains working together, it's clear that Jordan Chase is the main villain, and they've built him up as such. My point is, the show has a formula (Dexter does what he must to evade capture, Dexter slowly learns the origins of a suspected or notorious serial killer he plans to take out, Debra gets closer to learning the truth about him). It's not as formulaic as a procedural cop show, but each season does follow a mold. And as great as the writers are at shaking things up a bit each year so it stays fresh, let's be honest, they've already repeated some plotlines, albeit with slightly different circumstances (Dexter has a partner, someone at Miami Metro is suspicious of him, Dexter plants evidence to throw Miami Metro off the trail of a killer he's after, Dexter starts to believe he's not such a monster, etc.). The formula is going to show its age by next year without a doubt. Some people think it already has.

Personally I feel that this season in particular is the build-up season you've referred to. The stage is set for him to be discovered. Dexter's made massive psychological breakthroughs and Debra has never been closer to figuring him out. They've basically backed themselves into a corner with her cause she has to find out about him sooner or later or all the build-up to it over the years would be unwarranted and ultimately misdirection. And her revelation of who Dexter really is should naturally lead into the endgame. I just know if Dexter is back next year doing the same exact things he's always done, tracking down another huge serial killer while trying to avoid getting caught yet again, I'm going to be a little less invested because the stakes and tension will be significantly lowered for me.

WillYouKindly

[47]Dec 10, 2010
    • level: 8

I'm pretty sure Deb will find out about Dexter next episode, but it doesn't mean it'll lead to the endgame.

***SPOILER***

Also, she doesn't have to know *everything*. I guess she'll learn that Dexter and Lumen are the vigilantes, and since she has obvious sympathies for what they do, she won't turn them in. She won't know about the 69 other murders Dexter committed.

Filth-wizard

[48]Dec 10, 2010

In Before Cliffhanger. :3

I recon there will be a season 6, although i was skeptical at first, this season has been really quite good as a whole (that may change depending on what happens next episode). As long as they can tie up or leave things that need to be tied up for next season, to make it worthwhile.

WillYouKindly

[49]Dec 10, 2010
    • level: 8
    Filth-wizard wrote:

In Before Cliffhanger. :3

I recon there will be a season 6, although i was skeptical at first, this season has been really quite good as a whole (that may change depending on what happens next episode). As long as they can tie up or leave things that need to be tied up for next season, to make it worthwhile.

I don't think there'll be as big of a cliffhanger this year. When they wrote season 4, they knew there was going to be a fifth season, so they could make a "two-parter" story: Dexter spent season 4 trying to learn how to deal with his family, and season 5 making up for his season 4 mistakes by helping Lumen get revenge.

My guess is, season 6 will have a brand new subject matter, like seasons 2-3-4 had little to do with the previous seasons. If Lumen lives and stays with Dexter, S5's events might be referenced a bit more, but otherwise, I think the writers will go the easy way, especially since their previous cliffhanger didn't work that well; we had nine months to get over Rita's death, but they couldn't skip over its immediate aftermath, so we got a fairly boring premiere.

LisaWilliams3

[50]Dec 11, 2010
    • level: 1

Yes there will be a 6th Season and possibly a 7th they said. I've heard people say that Showtime's show's never last longer then 5-6 (top's) season's. I've seen show's last 12 seasons so I don't put stock in that! You can do it DEXTER! The writing is superb.

acoustic404

[51]Dec 16, 2010

More then likely they may do one last season to tie up all the loose ends for season 4 and 5. I really love the show but season 5 wasn't no where near as good as season 1 - 4. I hope they make one more season to wrap it all up!!!!!

CaptainHarkness

[52]Dec 16, 2010
    • level: 23

Now that we know there is going to be a sixth season the question is now, willit be the last season?

pcarrera92

[53]Dec 17, 2010

A 6th is for sure..and I heard there would be a 7th too.. saw it at www.dexterseason7.com... that's the only site I've found with any info past season 6.

I sure hope they keeping making more seasons, I just only wished that they could come sooner. I hate having to wait a year for each new season!

ice_edge

[54]Dec 17, 2010
    They just might go with 7 seasons. Really I don't mind as long as they can write it well. So far it's probably more interesting than any other CSI replica we seen so far so go for it. Just make it good and don't drop the quality along the way.

It's all I ask.

blackmage8472

[55]Dec 21, 2010
    • level: 15

Well if they don't bring Lumen back they're probably going to have to bring in some other female star.

Big question is now, what's next? Season 1: Dexter v.s. Family. Season 2: Dexter v.s. Miami Metro and Doakes. Season 3: Dexter v.s. The Code of Harry and Miguel (sorry, the Skinner wasn't a worth adversary). Season 4: Dexter v.s. Trinity. Season 5: Dexter and Lumen v.s. a rape cult/conspiracy.

Feel free to call this crazy, but I had a weird idea for a season. What if Lundy had an apprentice, someone he trained and he trusted. Him not being in season 2 or 4 could be explained by saying he was kicked out of the FBI or the FBI bureaucracy put him in a different department, whatever. Say this apprentice shows up in Miami with a notebook of Lundy's saying he doubted Doakes was the Bay Harbor Butcher. Not saying that's the whole premise, just a rough outline. There could be several potential surprise twists.

ice_edge

[56]Dec 22, 2010
    blackmage8472 wrote:

Well if they don't bring Lumen back they're probably going to have to bring in some other female star.

Big question is now, what's next? Season 1: Dexter v.s. Family. Season 2: Dexter v.s. Miami Metro and Doakes. Season 3: Dexter v.s. The Code of Harry and Miguel (sorry, the Skinner wasn't a worth adversary). Season 4: Dexter v.s. Trinity. Season 5: Dexter and Lumen v.s. a rape cult/conspiracy.

Feel free to call this crazy, but I had a weird idea for a season. What if Lundy had an apprentice, someone he trained and he trusted. Him not being in season 2 or 4 could be explained by saying he was kicked out of the FBI or the FBI bureaucracy put him in a different department, whatever. Say this apprentice shows up in Miami with a notebook of Lundy's saying he doubted Doakes was the Bay Harbor Butcher. Not saying that's the whole premise, just a rough outline. There could be several potential surprise twists.

That is what I'm saying. Bring out some smart FBI guy. I mean miami metro is really not a threat at the moment. We need real tension next season. And I'm one of those guys that really hated that they killed of Lundy. He was one of those guys who could really get dexter(in the end).

What was even worse is that trinity did not kill him (being one of biggest monsters out there).

But him going in retirement felt just as stupid. I kinda felt sorry for that guy.

blackmage8472

[57]Dec 22, 2010

ice_edge wrote:
    That is what I'm saying. Bring out some smart FBI guy. I mean miami metro is really not a threat at the moment. We need real tension next season. And I'm one of those guys that really hated that they killed of Lundy. He was one of those guys who could really get dexter(in the end). What was even worse is that trinity did not kill him (being one of biggest monsters out there). But him going in retirement felt just as stupid. I kinda felt sorry for that guy.

Yeah, Dexter is missing an adversary. Lundy was great and he was the reason I really loved season 2... that and the scene on the dock where Doakes catches Dexter, that was just awesome... and I was disappointed Lundy was killed. Keith Carradine has a very limited range of what he can do acting-wise, but he does it all damn well.

I guess what I really want is some kind of anti-Dexter. Someone who thinks exactly like him but has a whole different code. They did that a little with Jordan Chase but they couldn't focus on that because it would have ultimately been packing too much in. Having Dexter being hunted again could come off as repetitious if done wrong... but I think it could be great if done right.

They've tried to keep escalating the "monsters" every year, you could make the argument that Jordan Chase was worse than Trinity because Chase ultimately was able to talk 4 guys into doing his will. It'll be interesting to see if they try to continue that.

chikanoman

[58]Dec 23, 2010
    • level: 12
    Dexter Needs an Alexander Mahone type Character, Someone twisted like Dexter but trying to hunt him down, Could be An EPIC cat and mouse game.

ice_edge

[59]Jan 15, 2011
    blackmage8472 wrote:

ice_edge wrote:
    That is what I'm saying. Bring out some smart FBI guy. I mean miami metro is really not a threat at the moment. We need real tension next season. And I'm one of those guys that really hated that they killed of Lundy. He was one of those guys who could really get dexter(in the end). What was even worse is that trinity did not kill him (being one of biggest monsters out there). But him going in retirement felt just as stupid. I kinda felt sorry for that guy.

Yeah, Dexter is missing an adversary. Lundy was great and he was the reason I really loved season 2... that and the scene on the dock where Doakes catches Dexter, that was just awesome... and I was disappointed Lundy was killed. Keith Carradine has a very limited range of what he can do acting-wise, but he does it all damn well.

I guess what I really want is some kind of anti-Dexter. Someone who thinks exactly like him but has a whole different code. They did that a little with Jordan Chase but they couldn't focus on that because it would have ultimately been packing too much in. Having Dexter being hunted again could come off as repetitious if done wrong... but I think it could be great if done right.

They've tried to keep escalating the "monsters" every year, you could make the argument that Jordan Chase was worse than Trinity because Chase ultimately was able to talk 4 guys into doing his will. It'll be interesting to see if they try to continue that.

Finally someone agrees with me. Well the other thing that de-valued the character (Lundy) was writers to retire him. I mean that did not stick well with me at all. First they retire the guy and when he has nothing for him they just kill him of as common trash. In my opinion they should have never brought him back in season 4 to begin with. Best thing would been if they would brought him back in the last season to finally put an end to harbor butcher and yet him securing his greatest victory of his carer and than retire. That would be epic for both Butcher(aka Dexter) and Lundy. We had anti Dexter. His name was Brian Moser . But of course it depends what kind of "code" you are talking about here. If anyone should hunt him is some smart FBI (or something along those lines) guy who gets him in the end.

And as you say we could discuss who is worse: Jordan or Trinity. Let see Chase & Co raped the girls which of course damages them for life. Some comfort in it (excluding Lumen of course) is that they get killed and hopefully rest in peace and not come back to haunt them .

Trinity on the other hand even if he did not rape his daughter tortured his family for years (both psychically and mentally). And he killed all those women. He cut them open and watched them bleed to death. Frozen in fear of blood so to speak. Pretty damn ****** up if you ask me. Who is worse? It's all matter of opinion. Still my take is still that trinity wins by a bit.

As far as him able to talk 4 guys in. I think more or less they enjoyed raping those women. All that Jordan did was lead the pack to fulfill their instincts so to speak. He was just that leader type of guy that is all.

blackmage8472

[60]Jan 21, 2011

ice_edge wrote:

Finally someone agrees with me. Well the other thing that de-valued the character (Lundy) was writers to retire him. I mean that did not stick well with me at all. First they retire the guy and when he has nothing for him they just kill him of as common trash. In my opinion they should have never brought him back in season 4 to begin with. Best thing would been if they would brought him back in the last season to finally put an end to harbor butcher and yet him securing his greatest victory of his carer and than retire. That would be epic for both Butcher(aka Dexter) and Lundy. We had anti Dexter. His name was Brian Moser . But of course it depends what kind of "code" you are talking about here. If anyone should hunt him is some smart FBI (or something along those lines) guy who gets him in the end. And as you say we could discuss who is worse: Jordan or Trinity. Let see Chase & Co raped the girls which of course damages them for life. Some comfort in it (excluding Lumen of course) is that they get killed and hopefully rest in peace and not come back to haunt them . Trinity on the other hand even if he did not rape his daughter tortured his family for years (both psychically and mentally). And he killed all those women. He cut them open and watched them bleed to death. Frozen in fear of blood so to speak. Pretty damn ****** up if you ask me. Who is worse? It's all matter of opinion. Still my take is still that trinity wins by a bit. As far as him able to talk 4 guys in. I think more or less they enjoyed raping those women. All that Jordan did was lead the pack to fulfill their instincts so to speak. He was just that leader type of guy that is all.

I kinda knew the second they brought Lundy back it was to kill him off. It was a great premise, bring back Dexter's hunter, a man Dexter respects and force Dexter to take up his mantle.

Ok, yes, Moser was the anti-Dexter, but I think you know what I meant. Someone who is a mixture of Moser, Lundy, and that part of Chase that thought exactly like Dexter. Moser was playing with Dexter in his own way of showing his affection for Dexter, I think Dexter needs a no holds barred hunter, a real adversary. I've mentioned before maybe a former protege of Lundy, or perhaps the kid of one of Dexter's victims searching for revenge.

As for Trinty v. Chase well we could argue in circles who was more sadistic. I just see Trinity as a damaged killing machine whereas Chase was a real mastermind.