Dexter Forums

Showtime (ended 2013)

Season 6... any good?

dimushi

[1]Dec 17, 2011
    • level: 17

I opened the same thread about the season 5, so I'm just gonna copy the text from over there, but this time I'm asking for season 6.

Every season of Dexter that came out, I have waited for season to finish and then watch the episodes all at once. I just can't wait the whole week for a new episode, and December is usually my Dexter month, where I don't watch any other show or movie, besides Dexter.

Well, as this season is coming to an end, I have a little question to ask.

I enjoyed season 4 as much as a viewer can. It was extremely phenomenal. Each episode was really great. But after I finished watching it, I came to comment and rate the episodes and I noticed the low rates the episodes had. But rarely I saw comments about an episode being bad. Now, for season 6, it's the same, but I see a lot of comments about it being bad. I hated season 5 BTW.

So, I ask real fans, about season 6, is it any good? Not each episode per se, but as a whole? Season 4, like I said was amazing, I hated season 5, but what about season 6? Is it better than season 5, does it have the quality of previous seasons, 1, 2, 3 and 4? Because I have waited a long time for this but I ruined it for myself because I came to see episode ratings before actually watching the episodes and Iw as so excited about this season. And yes, I know it was a really stupid thing to do. But I came to forums to verify that.

Thank you for your answers.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Harry9295

[2]Dec 17, 2011
    • level: 5
    lol

blackmage8472

[3]Dec 18, 2011
    • level: 15

Well I thought season 4 dragged on and I hated how they killed off Lundy. Season 5 I did like because it was a lot different and I liked the guest actors more. So I doubt you'll like my opinion...

While it wasn't one of the better seasons I did like it a lot more than a lot of people here did. The only real problem with it was towards the end it felt like they were setting up things for next season. A lot of relationships can potentially have major changes. Olmos, Hanks, and Def all play their roles perfectly.

johngons

[4]Dec 19, 2011
    • level: 2

I thought this season was decent; not the best but not the worst. I enjoyed it. Without giving away specifics/spoilers there are some fairly obvious flaws in how the writers executed some of the plot twists but I thought the show made up for it in that the ensemble of characters around Dexter evolve a great deal this season and I thoughtall the role players out ofMiami Metro shined like never before this season.

Why did you hate Season 5 BTW?

Soul_666

[5]Dec 19, 2011
    • level: 10

I'll go along with the ratings on here and say that season 6 was the worst so far.

Main thing that bugged me was the fact that they were opening up side stories left and right that ended up having no impact at all and felt pointless or filler-like to me. I also thought that the writers took some easy outs with how the main story played out. I mean a lot of improbable things have happened to and around Dexter and that's part of why I like watching TV, but so far this show has succeeded in disguising those moments. Not so this season.

On the whole still a "good" season for the ending alone and absolutely enjoyable, if you accept it for what it is - a setup for future seasons.

Edited on 12/19/2011 9:09am

Endoplasmic888

[6]Dec 19, 2011
    • level: 7
    Ignore the bashers, season 6 did not suck.

It was a whole lot better than 5 and 3, but it wasn't nearly as good as 2, 4, and 1. Before my order went like this:

1 4 2 5 3.

Between 2 and 5 was a huge quality drop, but with 6 my order goes like this

1 4 2 6 5 3.

6 is that bridge between quality. It isn't amazing, but it isn't atrocious.

cookiedoughboy

[7]Dec 19, 2011
    • level: 1

I agree. I thought S6 was good. Not it's best but certainly not the atrocity that many "fans" are calling it. It was different (Dex only had 1 Dark Passenger kill the entire season), macabre, and often at times creepy. I didn't care for the whole Debra's love storyline at all, and Quinn's descent into darkness was just dumb. Otherwise, I thought it was a unique departure for the show, and a good one at that.

Rating the seasons: 1, 4, 6, 5, 3, 2 (S5 & S6 are almost a tie...)

S1 - C'mon. It was the1st season AND had the ITK!

S4 - Jon Lithgow as Trinity. 'nuff said! It was creepy, cool, edgy, and let Dex go to new areas of himself in S5.

S6 - As for S6, I liked it. It was different & suprisingly topical what with all the Doomsday, End Of The World malarky out there today. The Colin Hanks twist was unexpected, and while I thought "It's about time!" regarding the final 2 minutes, it was completely unexpected, as well.

S5 - "The Fall,The Rise,& The Revenge (of Lumen)", as I dubbed it. I liked S5 but Lumen grated on me after a while. And it seemed WAY to fast & easy (to me, anyways) for Dex to fall in love with someone so soon. And I think we all saw the ending coming.

S3 - I love Jimmy Smits, and often-times did Rita as well, but the season lacked meat.

S2 - IMO the worst with the whole whiny Lila and moronic Doakes storylines; just boring, predictable, and dumb.

arniarent

[8]Dec 22, 2011
    • level: 2
    cookiedoughboy wrote:

S2 - IMO the worst with the whole whiny Lila and moronic Doakes storylines; just boring, predictable, and dumb.

Season 2 was my favorite, because it was all about Dexter, and the chase for the Bay Harbor Butcher where Dexter had to evade being found out with some interesting twists. Lundey was introduced in season 2 which was a superb character. Lila was a interesting dark and nutty character that mixed well with Dexter.

I think the character chemistry was just overall better in season 2 than in any other seasons. The chemistry between Dexter and Doakes was superb, like how Dexter managed to get Doakes fired, and when Doakes caught Dexter looking at "titty" sites. Just so much humor in it. And then their quality time at the cabin.

OdumC

[9]Jan 4, 2012
    • level: 8
    Personally I've liked and found something good in all 6 seasons, Season 5 and 6 are still about Dexter being off balance since Rita's death. the lack of Harry shows that as Harry was always Dexters subconscious helping him stay safe and now he's lost and somewhat out of control. I think a combo of Deb and Harrison will reign him back in though.

Personally I like season 6. it seemed to be a good catalyst for Dexter searching for any port in a storm to examine religion. Something a lot of people turn to in times of crisis. Did I like the over saturation of the season with religion? not so much. but it is part of a greater and ongoing story.