Dexter Forums

Showtime (ended 2013)

Season 7 Episode 2 Discussion

kingoffheg

[1]Oct 7, 2012
    • level: 11

What did you think of this second episode?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

mattgus

[2]Oct 7, 2012
    • level: 14
    near perfect episode...the talks with the confined serial killer were priceless...i still can't wait to see how he deals with his newest nemisis...

stealth97

[3]Oct 7, 2012

Deb annoyed the hell out of me in this one. It smells like season 4 all over. By letting Lewis live he's going to get back at Dexter somehow. Hopefully there's a surprise there because I disliked season 4 a lot. I know a lot of people loved it but not me except for the fact that they got rid of Rita. I like the old Dexter, just getting rid of bad people. One per show like the first season. I know a show has to evolve but sometimes the good old way works too. (IMO)

pumpkinhead2

[4]Oct 8, 2012
    • level: 7

Not the shocks of the first episode ... more the start of a slow build up.

Lots of things happening in this episode. LaGuerta is back in the hunt for the Bay Harbour Butcher,Louis is starting to get in Dexter's face, the Russian Mafia looking to find out what happened to Victor. The police are also looking for Victor, who we know they will never find. However looking for him may eventually lead them to Dexter.Debra is still perhaps in two minds as to how she will handle having a serial killer as a brother.

All in all I think this has the making of a great season with the tension being ratcheted up week after week. In fact I think that they are really setting up for the final two seasons.

Edited on 10/08/2012 3:15am

kingoffheg

[5]Oct 8, 2012

It was a nice episode, but not as good as the premiere.

Clearly, the Dexter/Debra relationship was the focus of the episode once again and it worked for the most part. I thoroughly enjoyed the first time as it felt like a perfectly-normal reaction, and set-up the calamity and maturity which came afterwards. Dex moving in with Deb was interesting, and will continue to be interesting I reckon, but having Harrison stay at his old apartment with Jaime (or whatever arrangement they have) is just really weird.

The stuff with the convicted serial killer was alright, but felt a little forced honestly. Him killing himself was unexpected and this storyline raised a few questions for Dexter, but I felt like it wasn't subtle enough.

The Russian (?) mafia storyline is progressing nicely, and it makes for a nice distraction from everything else that is going around... however, I just don't find myself as compelled or excited about it as I am about some of the other storylines. I hope it turns into something much bigger and Isaac grows into a really dynamic and interesting villain.

The possibilities of LeGuerta's storyline are ENTHRALLING. I can't wait to see what she's going to do next and when Dexter is going to take notice of this, but more importantly how Deb is going to react to it and whether she will hesitate to help Dexter or not.

I'm also really enjoying the Dexter/Luis storyline, and I'm pretty sure that it isn't just about the video game for Luis because he was still fascinated by Dexter before he asked his opinion about the game. I thought Dex leaving Luis on that bench thing was funny, and the music that played in that scene reminded me of the earlier seasons.

I'm enjoying this season a lot so far, I hope it keeps up impressing me! Season 6 started off great (IMO) but then crumbled during the second half, so I really hope that this won't be the case here.

FCBarca

[6]Oct 9, 2012
    • level: 15

Enjoyed the exchanges/scenes between Deb & Dex, they are really the main storyline for the season, IMO. Although it's pretty distracting to see Deb with botox - why do people continue to do this?

Best line of the episode though, "I must be the worst XXX detective in the world"

I really disliked the incarcerated killer segment/storyline, as well. And then the climax? Really implausible

Agree with those calling for Quinn's head, no idea what purpose he still serves and a stripper is pretty cliche even for these writers. Although Quinn can still provide some comic relief whereas the most useless character on the show still has to be Batista's sister, Jamie - eye candy who can't act and serves no purpose other than to babysit. I'd like to see Quinn & Jamie knocked off, soon.

If Dexter's character learned anything from Travis, it's to finish the job - leaving Louis alone is inconsistent, IMO, but I guess we'll play along with the rehab story arc...for now

And did Isaac and his bodyguard use a teleporter? How does he magically appear like that? And for some Ukrainian mob boss, is there really a reason for the alpha role in the mob to be back in the US for a missing foot soldier? I assume it's related to the bracelet somehow but Isaac's character is almost cartoonish for me and further evidence of some lazy writing - I hated the way the writers wrote Jonny Lee Miller's character and this seems just as lazy

Masuka continues to be a scene stealer, along with Doakes, some of the best supporting cast for the series.

Series finale will see Harrison knock off a playmate at the park, perhaps? I do wonder what the conclusion will involve, will Dex be 'cured', incarcerated or killed or will Deb/Harrison carry on?

Edited on 10/09/2012 3:32am
    Edited 2 total times.

kingoffheg

[7]Oct 9, 2012

The episode was watched by a remarkable 2.1 million viewers, down from last week's record-breaking 2.4 million viewers. I think this season will overtake season 6 to become the most watched season of Dexter so far! It's absolutely amazing that a show in its 7th season is able to do all of this.

nutcrackr

[8]Oct 10, 2012
    • level: 6

Another great episode although the transition from Deb's "holy **** you are a serial killer" to "killer rehab" was slightly too abrupt. Obviously it was prefect timing that Deb finds out Dex is a killer as soon as she realises that she loves him. Had it happened earlier things would be different. She still hasn't told him either.

This new code that Deb is setting up could be leading to a different end of dexter than I would have thought. Louis is getting on my nerves but I do believe now that he may well be the fall guy for dexter. Either against the mob boss or bay harbor butcher. I thought the killer side story was a good one, sets up the lead in for Sarah from Chuck and taunts the audience about Dexter once again. So far off to a great start that.

BenKelley

[9]Oct 11, 2012
    • level: 1
    It's way too early, even for Deb to tell how she really feels, even so, she already has, but Dexter mentioned in a earlier season he might have feelings for Deb. Louis may be a problem for a few episodes, then he'll leave properly alive like Dexter hopes without a kill, while dealing with the mob, and also Hannah McKay. Whether she'll last long though. Which could complicate in a love triangle for Deb. :p

kingoffheg

[10]Oct 12, 2012

Wasn't Calista Flockhart supposed to be in the first episode? What happened to her character?

Shoopufzilla

[11]Oct 18, 2012
    • level: 1

Did anyone else happen to notice during the briefing about Wayne Randall that his mugshot has him listed at about 7'3"-7'4"?